The Most Difficult Aircraft to Land/Take Off?

In my opinion, this goes to 2 aircraft:

- The most difficult aircraft to take off in? Without doubt, the MiG-3

- The most difficult aircraft to land?  Without doubt, the LaGG-3

Any other opinions?

I agree regarding take-off in the Mig-3, but it's much better for me, now that I use this technique.

Hardest plane to taxi (with tail-wheel unlocked to zig-zag) is the Yak-1 in my opinion. I'll have to map a more convenient key for the tailwheel lock so I can zig-zag and still keep control.

I find it is quite hard to land the PE-2 smoothly. It's like it has trampolines for landing gear. I've had to resort to landing with 45 degree flaps, 150 km/h, with 35%+ throttle so I can try to keep the tail-wheel from touching the ground as long as possible. I once did a perfect three-point landing in it... only for the ends to suddenly swap. That tail-wheel is possessed! haha. On the positive side, it's easy as pie to take off and taxi with (other than the poor forward visibility).

• Upvote 1

Hardest plane to taxi (with tail-wheel unlocked to zig-zag) is the Yak-1 in my opinion. I'll have to map a more convenient key for the tailwheel lock so I can zig-zag and still keep control.

+1

I wonder what makes the difference between the Yak-1 (with unlocked tailwheel) and the LaGG/La. Was the tailwheel of the LaGG/La spring loaded?

It's like it has trampolines for landing gear.

Generally, taildraggers should "bounce" when the angle of attack is increased by the tail coming down with the airspeed still high enough to create lift. However, in the current implementation it appears the main wheels also bounce back because the struts can't absorb even small amounts of impact.

+1

I wonder what makes the difference between the Yak-1 (with unlocked tailwheel) and the LaGG/La. Was the tailwheel of the LaGG/La spring loaded?

According to point #5 in this post, the Lagg-3 and La-5 had spring-loaded tailwheels (along with the Pe-2, He-111, and Bf-110). The Yak-1 is just free-wheeling when unlocked. With an unlocked tail wheel, I try to correct early to stop a turn. That is, if I brake to make a right turn, I apply some left brake before the right turn is finished. However, I find that I have to correct quite early and be very careful to use moderate turns.

Also, see point #6 for the different flap systems.

Edited by JimTM

Generally, taildraggers should "bounce" when the angle of attack is increased by the tail coming down with the airspeed still high enough to create lift. However, in the current implementation it appears the main wheels also bounce back because the struts can't absorb even small amounts of impact.

Yeah, exactly. That is why I land on my main gear and try to keep the tail-wheel from touching for as long as possible. It makes the landing a bit better, but the main gear still bounce regardless of sink rate. The gear needs to be stiffened up to absorb the touchdown.

Bf-110 landing... for some reason it retains energy so damn well, I can literally be gliding at 0% power gears and flaps full down at 200kph and still overshoot the runway at the other side with 200kph... and this is with a 5-10 nose down angle...

taking off, its got to be an overloaded Stuka Ju-87 or a He-111, with the 1800kg bomb. Feels like you're pulling the plane into the air by sheer willpower alone... 

• Upvote 2

Bf-110 landing... for some reason it retains energy so damn well, I can literally be gliding at 0% power gears and flaps full down at 200kph and still overshoot the runway at the other side with 200kph... and this is with a 5-10 nose down angle...

Absolutely.  I've never landed the 110 and not overrun the runway.

- The most difficult aircraft to take off in? Without doubt, the MiG-3

- The most difficult aircraft to land?  Without doubt, the LaGG-3

- Stuka, with a heavy bomb load right after you rotate.

- Pe-2, I have hours and hours flying this aircraft and I don't think I've made a clean landing yet. Right before the runway I always sink like a rock and crash.

----

Taking off in a Mig-3 isn't too bad if you set your rudder trim.

The 109 and LAGG are the first models in this game, someone suggested they might not be up to date in their FM. I do not know about this. But something is not right simulator wise. We are not pilots, and those of us who are do not fly vintage taildraggers, we cannot possibly know how they where to land, however we can notice if something is physical impossible. I really never had big problems landing the LAGG, I most of the time never get to the point of surviving in it. But when I did I actually made a landing , until someone made a topic about how difficult it was to land. Then I promised him I would land a LAGG and notice what I did, and report how it was done.

Apparently I land the LAGG subconscious . Because when I tried to land it with a plan, I simply could not do it 

- Stuka, with a heavy bomb load right after you rotate.

- Pe-2, I have hours and hours flying this aircraft and I don't think I've made a clean landing yet. Right before the runway I always sink like a rock and crash.

----

Taking off in a Mig-3 isn't too bad if you set your rudder trim.

I love landing the Pe-2. You basically line up perpendicular to the runway at 5000m and wait until the runway appears in your lower glazing. Then you give it full flaps, airbrakes, gear out, low supercharger, full Mixture, 0%throttle, Bomb Bay open and dive as steep as you can. At 800m of altitude you roll until you are in one line with the runway and at 300 you ease back on the column, touch down and you won't even touch the end of the runway. The Tail isn't as bouncy anymore, so you can actually do three wheel landings. 

The Bf110 should be easy specially if RW techniques of differential thrust are used... Unfortunately not all have Throttle Quadrants with axis for each engine... which makes things a bit more difficult ...

There was at least one good add-on ( Majestics Q-400 ) that gave to it's users the possibility of activating automatic asymmetric thrust during taxi, for turns. This could be a nice feature to add to any mutli-engine aircraft in il-2 bos / bom...

I love landing the Pe-2. You basically line up perpendicular to the runway at 5000m and wait until the runway appears in your lower glazing. Then you give it full flaps, airbrakes, gear out, low supercharger, full Mixture, 0%throttle, Bomb Bay open and dive as steep as you can. At 800m of altitude you roll until you are in one line with the runway and at 300 you ease back on the column, touch down and you won't even touch the end of the runway. The Tail isn't as bouncy anymore, so you can actually do three wheel landings.

Lmao, I will have to try this..

really? i think the 110 is one of the best planes when it comes to ground handling

Not for me. Even though I have dual throttle control, I still find myself doing ground loops to often to my taste. The brakes are one of the weakest of the whole planeset and once it starts to overturn, there's few chances to bring it back on trail. Not mentioning the accidental wheel in fresh snow problem. I have much more control over the 111 and the 87.

if you're looping go slower. i never had a problem. have the patience and go slow. shouldn't be a problem than, and you won't get any speeding tickets, that's another plus  ;)

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar

My best landing in a PE-2 is done with full flaps, the problem with it is you hit the ground sooner than you think, the hight of the cockpit fools your mind. It is very important to be able to lift the nose  and let both wheels hit the ground at the same time. With low speed and fully flaps you must achieve a perfect 3 point landing. Full flaps and speed well above stall. And you should be ok. But not all my landings in it looks good. The bouncing is just like the LAGG, it increase for every jump you do, witch tells me not everything is pilot error

Edited by EG14_LuseKofte

if you're looping go slower. i never had a problem. have the patience and go slow. shouldn't be a problem than, and you won't get any speeding tickets, that's another plus  ;)

Yeah man's walking speed on the parking. The main problem I have is when a hard turn is needed, I have to go full stop, turn on the place and then start to move again. If I try this with a bit of speed, sometimes the tail wheel just get out of the springy zone and it may end up with a 90 to 180° overturn.

But as I can speed up things with most other aircrafts without a problem, therefore the 110 is one of the worst to taxi for me  :)

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

The Bf-110taxis fine judging by my expirience as well. There 2 major quirks to have in mind though:

- when powering up from stillstand it has a strong tendency to turn left, rudder + brakes are nessecary to go straight

- if you get stuck in deep snow it's game over for you, that 2600 PS won't move you anywhere

The Bf-110taxis fine judging by my expirience as well. There 2 major quirks to have in mind though:

- when powering up from stillstand it has a strong tendency to turn left, rudder + brakes are nessecary to go straight

- if you get stuck in deep snow it's game over for you, that 2600 PS won't move you anywhere

Probably asymmetric thrust was used most of the time, something few use in il-2 BoS unless they own a TQ...

Am sure there is a small issue if Pe-2/He-111 does not get stuck and Bf-110 is stuck in similar situation, but I have to say I have got stuck a few times  :blush:  (IRL)  when taxiing on grass with an aircraft with 10,200 PS, especially when putting one wheel in a soft patch.

(quite a ball ache involving much digging and headscratching/improvising if there is not a decent recovery vehicle available.....and there never is  :biggrin: )

I only say this because power/thrust is not much help when you get bogged, one would imagine if you had 2600PS power/thrust (Bf-110) which does not rely on traction, it would pull you out, but from experience it does not work that way  ;)

Cheers Dakpilot

• 3 weeks later...

And indeed this is another aspect in which BoS shines compared to other flight simulators - the modeling of wind, shear and turbulence. 

I wish I had this level of realism in the civil flightsims I used / use, with a remarkable exception to Aerowinx PSX, and Condorsoaring...

• Upvote 1

Landing: P-40E

I absolutely love landing the P40.. it is so much fun. i find it is the main reason to have it.. as it is´t much of a plane for aircombat online. And it has some wonderful modeling.. albeit on the sensitive-engine side and on the wobble side.. but still great fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WBrCqTijJU

however I somehow haven´t seen wind shear or "realistic" turbulence.. I find weather and wind are the things that are most lacking in most sims, and also so in BoS.. except for the clouds on the winter maps, they really look like winter-cumuli

Edited by Dr_Zeebra
  • Upvote 1

Take off :I-16,I always forgot to close side flaps so they do not take off with the rest of me

Landing: Pe-2,after thrilling interdiction mission I often forget gear-down part of the procedure :)