Y-29.Silky

What is with the rendering distance?

Someone knows how to return to the old parameters textured ground? now with this default parameters terrain rendering is totally impossible bomber level, let the He-111 is useless in the simulator.

In previous versions it has bombed 5000m smoothly and targets were displayed smoothly, now all changed.

I remember in the terrain.ini had to tweak some values, but can not find that link.

Edited by A0Super61

Can anyone see Air targets at 10km . ?? in game .

Edited by II./JG77_Con

Someone knows how to return to the old parameters textured ground? now with this default parameters terrain rendering is totally impossible bomber level, let the He-111 is useless in the simulator.

In previous versions it has bombed 5000m smoothly and targets were displayed smoothly, now all changed.

I remember in the terrain.ini had to tweak some values, but can not find that link.

On my PC, the latest update reset the graphics settings, including terrain detail. It was reset to "Normal", which is super-blurry at 5km altitude. I moved it back to X3, and I'm quite happy with how it looks now.

On the subject of view distance, I played a bit yesterday, and looking at the replay, I missed tons of enemies that were within 10km, but that I could not see because they were tiny pixels. They did not attack me, so I suppose they did not see me either. At least for me raising the view distance wouldn't help me. Smaller/more transparent pixels would still go unnoticed by me.

Then there are people who say they can see planes popping in and out. I find that weird, you must be zoomed in to the maximum and looking at the right spot to see that phenomenon. That, or you have the eyesight of an hawk.

By the way, the multiplayer settings were also reset to 1Mb/s up and down. Maybe some planes don't even render before 6km or so, because 1Mb/s cuts data for planes that aren't close enough (I'm just guessing). Be sure to set your bandwidth settings to their correct value again.

I have settings in "Ultra" and X4, the objects are not rendered within 6-7km checked.

The problem is not that the land look better or worse, the problem is that objects are not rendered within 7km away and this to Height bomb is a priority. A factory is not a plane that is moving on the map and is not running, well a factory at 4000m dont see until these within 6-7km, if a factory is not at this distance I do not speak of airplanes.

My question is if anyone knows where the file is located terrain.ini to modify it and to see the simulator as before. Also if you have to recreate it someone put the values of the file.

excuse my English :)

Edited by A0Super61

I have settings in "Ultra" and X4, the objects are not rendered within 6-7km checked.

I see, I'm afraid there's not much you can do. The terrain.cfg file you refer to deals only with terrrain textures, not objects. There was once a gpresets.cfg in luascripts\ that included an objects_distance parameter, but it's no longer used. 

Yea object display range should be increased. You can see them soon enought when sitting in the cockpit with full zoomed in view but not in bombsight view (doesn't have zoom at all).

It's also bad for navigation purposes.

Drawing just the aircraft out to 20K would not reduce performance that much. You're being silly now.

15-20k would be nice - it's at 10k now right ?   That feels a bit too close.

My only issue has been that I wish the zoom would allow 'more zoom' as it's not been easy identifying aircraft

I see, I'm afraid there's not much you can do. The terrain.cfg file you refer to deals only with terrrain textures, not objects. There was once a gpresets.cfg in luascripts\ that included an objects_distance parameter, but it's no longer used. 

pretty ridiculous actually, it worked perfectly and smooth before, no matter how much you maxed the render distance out, and it looked miles better then right now. Graphics in terms of distant landscape became way worse this last year..i can't see a reason why they did this

Year 2018, and it is same.

I dont play this game because of this visibility issue. It makes me feel that no one in the city. I cant see any action although there is war throughout the city. They should have fixed this problem, in 2018 it is same. I cant understand how they develop a game like this. I am looking for another flight sim, maybe DCS.

Edited by kriptkori
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kriptkori said:

I dont play this game because of this visibility issue. It makes me feel that no one in the city. I cant see any action although there is war throughout the city. They should have fixed this problem, in 2018 it is same. I cant understand how they develop a game like this. I am looking for another flight sim, maybe DCS.

What is the same? Are you flying over the map in the QMB or in Career mode or with a Scripted Campaign? All offer varying levels of activity but Career and Scripted Campaign are best. Tracers crisscross the battlefield, artillery sounds all over the map, aircraft are flying everywhere if you set the density to high.

So what problem do they need to fix?

31 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

What is the same? Are you flying over the map in the QMB or in Career mode or with a Scripted Campaign? All offer varying levels of activity but Career and Scripted Campaign are best. Tracers crisscross the battlefield, artillery sounds all over the map, aircraft are flying everywhere if you set the density to high.

So what problem do they need to fix?

Topic is about rendering distance. 

I played only multiplayer. All graphics settings as high as it can be.  I cant see any flying object around if they are not in my rendered area. Although there is war in a huge city, I cant see any symptom of it. If a plane is arriving to my area I cant see it until it come into the rendered are. This results a spotting problem. This is same when spotting ships.  At least we can see a dot on the screen like we see in real life. I dont know where all 84 planes, cause I cant see them because of visibility restriction. Didn't you talk about this problem on this topic? Did I post an unrelated comment.

Edited by kriptkori

Other aircraft will render at 10km which is about as far away as you would expect to see them IRL. There can be quite a lot of activity on the ground depending on the mission design. The scripted campaigns career mode do that pretty well. No sim is going to place hundreds of thousands of soldiers on the ground if that’s what you’re looking for. 

The 84 players in mp are spread out all over the map so it’s still not so easy to encounter them. Again depends on mission design. Most mp missions IMO aren’t very well done because all the objectives are too spread out. 

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Other aircraft will render at 10km which is about as far away as you would expect to see them IRL. There can be quite a lot of activity on the ground depending on the mission design. The scripted campaigns career mode do that pretty well. No sim is going to place hundreds of thousands of soldiers on the ground if that’s what you’re looking for. 

The 84 players in mp are spread out all over the map so it’s still not so easy to encounter them. Again depends on mission design. Most mp missions IMO aren’t very well done because all the objectives are too spread out. 

It is not an fps game. So 10km is only 1-2 minutes away. I think it is shorter than 10km. You can see a plane further than 10km. I should see a dot at least if it is 10km away or 15km away. I cant realize the target 4-5 km. Example, I cant see an enemy ship.  It appears suddenly 5-6 km away. I end up a a dog fighting. I know there are some ships and planes at the direction I look but cant see them until they are in my rendered area.  It is really nonsense. because of this problem I cant make a good decision before arriving the targeted plane. I engage an enemy by luck.  This may not be a problem with static target but in terms of enemy plane this can cause terrible experience. This is the problem with this game and everybody is aware of this issue. I don't know about campaign. I am talking about multiplayer. I did not see this kind of visibility restriction while playing war thunder. In war thunder you cant see every plane but at least you can see where the planes are if there are in visible area like in real life.  Maybe there is dog fighting 6km away but you cant see until you go there. This the problem. I dont understand how  you can defend this nonsense. Yes it is a good sim but has visibility problem. I see a plane (---) like this size and it disappears suddenly. If I approach it it appears the size before. I should see at leas a dot, it should be tinier while it goes away. then it should disappear.

Edited by kriptkori

3 hours ago, kriptkori said:

WTF are you talking about?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kriptkori said:

Their engine is their limitation. Maybe they find a way to increase the visible bubble. Time will tell.

There's plenty of visibility...just up to the mission designer to place things that can be seen is all.

I'd like a little more distance from the smoke, but it's not bad how it is.

Keep in mind this shot is fully zoomed in , or close to it.

2018_5_15__1_22_57.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kriptkori said:

In war thunder you cant see every plane but at least you can see where the planes are if there are in visible area like in real life.  

There are many differences between this game and others like War Thunder. Mainly in the fidelity of the flight modeling. IL-2S uses the same advanced flight model for the AI aircraft as for the player. And the FM for any aircraft is done at a higher level of accuracy. Bottom line is any game can only afford to render a given number of aircraft. Do you want those spread out over 20km where you can’t see them, or closer? 

Would you rather have a greater rendering range or more aircraft shown closer to you? It’s all a compromise that certainly the team does their best to balance. The game also has to be able to run on most PCs. If they can improve on this without limiting other aspects like the FM they certainly will. Until then try to appreciate the positive aspects of the sim. 

3 hours ago, kriptkori said:

It is not an fps game. So 10km is only 1-2 minutes away. I think it is shorter than 10km. You can see a plane further than 10km. I should see a dot at least if it is 10km away or 15km away. I cant realize the target 4-5 km. Example, I cant see an enemy ship.  It appears suddenly 5-6 km away. I end up a a dog fighting. I know there are some ships and planes at the direction I look but cant see them until they are in my rendered area.  It is really nonsense. because of this problem I cant make a good decision before arriving the targeted plane. I engage an enemy by luck.  This may not be a problem with static target but in terms of enemy plane this can cause terrible experience. This is the problem with this game and everybody is aware of this issue. I don't know about campaign. I am talking about multiplayer. I did not see this kind of visibility restriction while playing war thunder. In war thunder you cant see every plane but at least you can see where the planes are if there are in visible area like in real life.  Maybe there is dog fighting 6km away but you cant see until you go there. This the problem. I dont understand how  you can defend this nonsense. Yes it is a good sim but has visibility problem. I see a plane (---) like this size and it disappears suddenly. If I approach it it appears the size before. I should see at leas a dot, it should be tinier while it goes away. then it should disappear.

If you think spotting aircraft in IL-2 is hard... You should check out DCS... Damn near impossible to spot :)

• Like 1

I dunno. I have no issues spotting aircraft online in DCS. Even at ranges of 10-15 miles I can track them. This actually allows me to take some countermeasures to what situation is developing. Here I experience online dots appearing and vanishing. You look straight at the guy who is extending and try to follow him, but eventually he will vanish once hes "outside" of the bubble. Il-2 however is better at object distinguishing from background. In DCS stuff below you easily blends with terrain. Here its easier to track them over the ground.

• Thanks 1

Same as Hiromachi.

The 10km bubble is very obvious, aircrafts just pops in and out of it. Then convoys on the ground are worse, they start rendering much closer only. Often, they dissipate out of rendering range at 2-3km. This is with all settings maxed (TAW server btw).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Yup. It's better than it used to be, don't get me wrong, with the fantastic render distance of the terrain and everything. That bit is really good.

But it's still jarring to see mission objects slowly fade in by steps, think flying at 5km alt and while having your sights squarely on the target in the bombsight you can see the buildings fade into existence step by step long long loooooooong after the town itself is perfectly visible.

Even worse obviously, as has been mentioned, when attacking targets that aren't part of a town.

Now with planes I assume things to be similar. But I am too bad at spotting, or my settings are still wrong, or my monitor is too low quality, or whatever it is which in turn means I am not only a terrible fighter pilot but also unable to actually notice the bubble in that regard. :lol:

10 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

If you think spotting aircraft in IL-2 is hard... You should check out DCS... Damn near impossible to spot :)

I will check. Thank you.

10 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

And IRL. I sometimes have difficulty trying to find an aircraft flying in the same circuit pattern. Let alone 10K :)

• Haha 1

On 5.1.2016 at 6:16 PM, II./JG77_Manu* said:

o but 9.999m. At 10km they vanish  :biggrin:

not it's 9.470m :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Same as Hiromachi.

The 10km bubble is very obvious, aircrafts just pops in and out of it. Then convoys on the ground are worse, they start rendering much closer only. Often, they dissipate out of rendering range at 2-3km. This is with all settings maxed (TAW server btw).

The bubble for planes can be a bit annoying, but I agree with you on the ground objects. I play pretty much exclusively in VR, and I sometimes think it is a bug. You can do a pass and when you circle back around, at the farthest point in the circle, the ground objects are completely gone until you start back in with your run.

I have no such rendering/popping issues - 4K monitor.

I can see aircraft and vehicles long before I'm close enough to do anything about them.

This leads me to think its a hardware issue with some of you.

• Haha 1

Aircrafts pop in at 9.5 km for everyone, no matter the hardware, that's just a fact.

• Upvote 1

If adding a second 1080Ti or increasing the resolution from 3440x1440p to 5120x2160p would increase the rendering distance of aircraft, I'd probably already do it. Unfortunately issue is elsewhere than in my hardware. 

Edited by =362nd_FS=Hiromachi
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Quinte said:

Aircrafts pop in at 9.5 km for everyone, no matter the hardware, that's just a fact.

Ok.

Well I know that I can see them plenty far away - a pixel or so. Again more than enough time to react one way or the other.

Smaller than a pixel on a 4K monitor I can’t see regardless if it was rendered or not.

Thus, once again I don’t see the problem.

I’m not saying that nobody has a problem - I just don’t.

After last patch what helps me see contacts better is seting gamma = 0.70000 and post_sharpen = 1in startup.cfg. This just makes it easer to see contacts it can not make them visable from 9.5km limit, i can usealy see contacts then from 7-8km on default zoom (that i usealy use when scaning skys).

The way i test it is just run quick mission where i can set enemy airplanes to start 10000m from me on head on, and enable icons option, so when i start im 10km from them at same alt, and when i first see contact i press H to turn icons and see whats distance, its differant if weather is clear or cloudy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Ok.

Well I know that I can see them plenty far away - a pixel or so. Again more than enough time to react one way or the other.

Smaller than a pixel on a 4K monitor I can’t see regardless if it was rendered or not.

Thus, once again I don’t see the problem.

I’m not saying that nobody has a problem - I just don’t.

Well, yeah, surely with a good rig and a good monitor, you have an easier time seeing contacts... within that 9.5 km bubble.

Myself, I have issues when it comes to spotting agaisnt the ground, but I see them just fine against the sky. Just today I was in a fight where I actually lost my opponent because after extending for a while to get some altitude back, we ended up just further than 9.5 km apart. I could see him, then suddenly, nope, he wasn't there anymore. (Then I proceeded to miss him while I was looking straight at him, from 1km and he whacked me, but that's another issue entirely, namely me).

Where I disagree with you is when you say a 9.5km bubble gives enough time to react. Two fighter flying parallel, but opposite courses, may have very little time to spot one another, especially if they are a few kms apart. Now, with BoBP coming, and obviously much faster aircrafts, this might mean that you have only a few seconds to spot any contact, after that, you won't be able to turn fast enough to keep them in your "bubble". 

For me, 15 would be reasonable.

Another thing that would somewhat work, I believe, although not necessarily very practical to code in: "flatten" the bubble a little. I mean, you never get to spot anything more than 6k above or below you. There's no point being able to spot aircrafts both 9.5km above you, and 9.5km below you. So I guess the bubble could have basically the same volume, but cover more ground. Still would impact performance, but probably not as much as just increasing the bubble radius?

• Upvote 2

I hear ya.

I guess what I’m saying is that game seems to render at the max distance possible given current hardware tech. 

For me the aircraft pop into view at such a distance and tiny size, I don’t see the “pop” at all. In fact I wouldn’t see them before that distance anyway.

Ground units will pop up, back and forth, during a straffing run (read: close distance) if you are outside of a very small range in VR. I believe I have heard it mentioned in these forums that is a glitch, and happens with trains too. I've noticed it. Only the engine appears on the rails until you are very close.

As far as other planes, it is most noticeable when tailing a target that has a temporary energy advantage and you are "zoomed" in on him.  The distance stretches and poof he's gone.

• Upvote 1

Yeah - I get neither of those.

By the time an aircraft is no longer visible, it’s tiny and well beyond my reach.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yeah - I get neither of those.

By the time an aircraft is no longer visible, it’s tiny and well beyond my reach.

Well you haven't flow a very fast aircraft or you don't plan your approaches carrefully. You will find that when you fly bnz aircrafts 10 km spotting distance is not enough. ( diving at 800 kph in a 190 it takes 45 seconds to make 10km. I love this game and I appreciate what the developers are doing but they should really address render distance for next patch. Expecially with Me 262 coming in.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Expecially with Me 262 coming in.

Holy smokes! With the 262 it'll be rdiculous, won't it? He'll pop out of now where like an, uncloaking, Klingon Bird of Prey. And even from the 262 pilot's viewpoint it'll be an issue. An enemy plane will suddenly pop out in front of you leaving you no time to even take a shot.  

5 minutes ago, =FSB=Man-Yac said:

Well you haven't flow a very fast aircraft or you don't plan your approaches carrefully. You will find that when you fly bnz aircrafts 10 km spotting distance is not enough. ( diving at 800 kph in a 190 it takes 45 seconds to make 10km. I love this game and I appreciate what the developers are doing but they should really address render distance for next patch. Expecially with Me 262 coming in.

I’ve done more testing than you will ever do - and I don’t have your problem - period.

Actually, my biggest problem on line is aircraft recognition. They seem to know what side I'm on, but I can't tell until they're shooting at me!