Elem

Mig-3 Series 24 Skins

Good first attempt but I have to say that your red is way to saturated. I say cut it down about 60% and all a little more of a grey orange hue to it.

As Spectre says + I'd maybe make the metal chips a little darker (looks more realistic to me).

Otherwise good job. The alpha fits well to the texture giving it a nice, clean look.

• Upvote 1

Bory,

really nice looking skins, I'm not a massive fan of flying the Mig-3 but those skins look very good. 

cheers

• Upvote 1

Bory,

Much better job my brother. I really love the Tiger Striped version. I may just borrow that as a guide for myself to make my own.

Edited by 6./ZG1=SPEKTRE76
  • Upvote 1

Here's the winter distemper. It's basically using the black nose camo with the washable white paint added over it for temporary winter use. The white parts are completely matt. It doesn't show well in the pics because it was too early and not enough light.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lgwc9655l8t935f/BV_Distemper.dds

I added a little more white to the fuselage. 

post-30291-0-06852900-1465518289_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-83700500-1465518291_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-18156800-1465518295_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-61700700-1465584585_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-37074100-1465584596_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-79929000-1465584607_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-30626100-1465584652_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-66364000-1465584663_thumb.jpg

Edited by BorysVorobyov
  • Upvote 1

Bory, these look great. I see one area of concern. Your white distemper doesn't have any demarcation where the white meets the AMT-7 blue areas on the plane. I think if you run the blur brush or an eraser brush that gives an erratic pattern you would have a winner. Welcome to the world of skinning my brother.

• Upvote 1

That is a nice scheme Chandalier

Hopefully one of the group who specialize in this field will chime in

Shouldn't the antenna on second skin be black?

It could be. I was more wondering what you guys think about the more subdued panel lines and rivets/screws, the not shiny paint,and minimal weathering.

I wouldn't call it difficult either, just a pain to get everything lined up over the seams. Paint a tiny spot then save it and open it in the viewer to check it over and over.

Thanks though it's taken a long time to get them to where they are.

Edited by BorysVorobyov

These lines, probably :

Mi_G1.jpg

Where did you get your template if I may ask? I downloaded the one provided but I am missing all of these small rivets. The layer is there but it is empty.

Where did you get your template if I may ask?

Hi Borys,

this screenshot was made from the public template, 100% stock.

(I only closed the "underside blue solid" layer). Rivets lines are on the "Small Rivets" layer.

(I use Paint Shop Pro X8).

Hello BorysVorobyov.

Those latter skins look sensational in the screenshots.

However, could you have a look at your download links. They all link to the winter version.

Skin request - always a fan of "what if" - how about a Mig 3 from the AVG     

Mig3%20AVG_zpszk7ywfnz.jpg

It's been begging for a shark mouth for a long time. I finally got enough free time to tinker with it and do it. It was a real pain getting the teeth right and the parts to line up. The texture is stretched a bit on parts of the 3d model so there was a lot of coloring a few pixels and saving and previewing and going back and erasing and trying again. Over and over again lol. I am pretty happy with the result though. I think it has the VVS hand-painted look to it. 

This is complete fiction btw in case the wink and the name wasn't enough to give it away lol. I will be flying this one over the new Kuban map :)

Added missing rivets/screws to spinner, lower engine cowling, oil cooler ducts and doors. Corrected number and location of screws on the spark plug access cover (the plate between exhaust and oil cooler ducts). Added aluminum texture to bare metal parts of propeller blades. Added detail texture to interior of landing gear bays. Added metal texture to inside of flaps. Added new rusty exhaust pipe texture. Deleted unnecessary Wing Joint Shadow layer. Painted tops of landing gear indicator pegs to match wing surface so they are invisible when retracted (also made them red and white striped on non-white wings). Toned down the amount of chipping and weathering. Customised Alpha channel for a more military matt look (except for glossy bare aluminum propellers). Created a shadow directly behind the exhaust pipes as there is a plate there that should not be there. Deleted starter tooth from planes that are supposed to represent earlier series planes. I have also tracked down and painted every little detail part that is possible to find within the template. Most of these parts are grey in the template and blend into the background so most people do not see them or think they need to be painted. When you open your skin in game all of a sudden there are a lot of grey parts (such as under the wing slats, between ailerons, gun pod tops, nose gun cover plate, etc).

If you have any of my previous skins you should download them again as I have made a lot of improvements. Now that my template is finally up to the standard I want, any new skins should be good to go straight away.

Hi Borys. That sounds like a whole heap of work.

But the results are great. :drinks:

Have you ever thought of doing a tutorial?

Or possibly even uploading your template for lazy bastards like me? :biggrin:

Edited by MF-beepee
  • Upvote 1

The link is in the original post top of page. I honestly am not good enough to be giving tutorials I was just asking Zargos for a tutorial lol. This MiG is the first time I've ever skinned anything and the first time I've ever used an art program that wasn't MS Paint lol. Just look a few pages back and you'll see my skinning career began just a few months ago. However I am working on a guide for the MiG-3 template. I've learned that some things aren't so easy to find. I've also been doodling around with the other planes but haven't made any historical or notable skins for them. I've mainly been creating the default skins with my alpha channel treatment so they are less shiny.

I'm learning but I'm still nowhere near the other guys.