Elem

Mig-3 Series 24 Skins

The last stage before paint chipping for this one :

160113-MIG3-001.jpg

• Upvote 4

PUBLIC PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ

Ok than :)  It's still not finished but at least I made some progress, here's the updated skin:

Z7zCD9i.jpg

The cyrillic text should read "SILVER STAR" (name of the skin). I translated "Star" correctly but somehow couldn't manage to confirm "Silver", anybody with knowledge of cyrillic writing feel free to correct me!

I also planed a version with bue markigns in addition if requested. although personally I will rather stick to the red vresion.

• Upvote 4

Looking Fantastic

You are a star Stab/JG26_5tuka & a generous star at that

Many Thanks sbiting_100-1081_zpsx6yjhbpu.gif

Next one will be sth fictional (usually I don't do fictional skins, but the sleek looking Mig just calls for it).

eu6ADkl.jpg

All metal parts (wing roots, engine cowling, ect) are meant to be polished bare metal (I need to improve on it to make it look more alike) while wooden pats and fabric are coloured wiht silver paint. The red stars have shiny silver paint coloured edges too. The red arrows are adopted from some historical Mig schemes. Still unsure what I should put on the wings though, I won't make it too colourfull though since this is meant to be a combat scheme, not aerobatic.

Don't know if I should make it public or keep as a personal... :scratch_one-s_head:

I am waiting for this particular skin and no other, but the post # 164 told me that I wait in vain!

Ok than :)  It's still not finished but at least I made some progress, here's the updated skin:

Z7zCD9i.jpg

The cyrillic text should read "SILVER STAR" (name of the skin). I translated "Star" correctly but somehow couldn't manage to confirm "Silver", anybody with knowledge of cyrillic writing feel free to correct me!

I also planed a version with bue markigns in addition if requested. although personally I will rather stick to the red vresion.

Unnecessary progress, the previous version, with only one hand, so much the better.
I do not like labels and numbers on board the aircraft, because the new version is I do not like!

Gotcha, so you want an all silver ("naked") version. I can do that. :salute:

Thx guys for the feedback, seems there's more love for the Mig than I though.

Heh Stuka

I'm no skinner but surely it would be possible to do the lettering on different layers, then produce 2 skins one with the lettering one without.

Just a thought

Ok guys, I didn't know I would raise such high interest with this skin.

Every progress I made is saved and secured in my big (2,5Gb), multilayered skin file. That means everything can be reverted back with little more than a mouse click as well :)

From what opinions I gathered it shall be 3 versions:

- silver with red stars and arrow only

- silver with red stars and full markings without captions

- the full skin as shown above

All will be released as a pack as I finished the full skin so don't panic ;)

• Upvote 1

Beautiful work Stuka! Amazing to hear you are catering to everyones tastes haha

"Silver star" in russian is "Серебрянная звезда". :)

What a guy Stuka

If I was a woman I'd have your babies :biggrin:

WIP screens from my next project, a historical skin this time:

I decided to do the iconic "White 40" with partial winter distemper as described here: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/white40.html

post-13181-0-21574100-1452806573_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-77855600-1452806597_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-40092200-1452806612_thumb.jpg

Definately not done yet. The distemper in particular is very rough. But it's turning out allright I think :happy:

• Upvote 6

Ok so finally it's done and ready to rock :) I didn't make ingame shots as it's pretty much the same as in the previous with minor changes to alpha channel and minor stuffs.

Different versions included in the pack:

QEIgFFc.jpg

hV75enS.jpg

iLDeLXR.jpg

Download:http://www.mediafire.com/download/45rkh0y0fkvqv1t/MiG3s24_SIlver_Star_by_5tuka.rar

Hope you enjoy it & have fun! :salute:

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

WIP screens from my next project, a historical skin this time:

I decided to do the iconic "White 40" with partial winter distemper as described here: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/white40.html

attachicon.gifMiG-3W40-1.jpg attachicon.gifMiG-3W40-2.jpg attachicon.gifMiG-3W40-3.jpg

Definately not done yet. The distemper in particular is very rough. But it's turning out allright I think :happy:

I love those "halfway" camo's!

Hope you enjoy it & have fun!

I certainly will... Thank you for having this great idea and for creating this beautiful skin!

White 40 with partial winter distemper is done :cool: Added a bit extra weathering, exhaust residue, grime and faded the camouflage paint.

Available here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/th0otypon85vwpv/Mig3s24_White40.dds

post-13181-0-98722300-1452980947_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-27963600-1452980965_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-00906800-1452980984_thumb.jpg

Source: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/white40.html

(Note: I deliberately left out the white at the wing roots, since I don't see it as part of the scheme but actual snow left after they wiped off the wings.)

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 5

White 40 with partial winter distemper is done Added a bit extra weathering, exhaust residue, grime and faded the camouflage paint

Interesting approach. I like the way you have done the chipping of the white distemper; looks better than the blurred edges that are used on some skins.

• Upvote 1

New historical skin ready: White 17 from a front line unit in early summer 1941 and captured by the Germans early in the war. Overall a skin very typical of what MiGs looked like early in the war.

Available here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/q1ls1sbt19dwbb7/Mig3s24_White17.dds

post-13181-0-58251600-1453158963_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-84087500-1453158978_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-95594600-1453158993_thumb.jpg

The difference in nuance of the dark green colour on respectively wooden, fabric covered and metal parts is typical for the time, due to different types of paint or metal laquer being used. The plane has the early type propeller in bare aluminium (that's "aluminum" to you Americans) with partly blackened backside (which was usually easily worn off as shown here)

Source: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/white17.html

Have fun :)

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 5

Hi !!

This is my first skin of Mig 3.

This skin is based on a model that was tested by the NII:

The screens are slightly darker than in the game.

• Upvote 2

Voltigeur you absolutely nailed the bottom nose cowling lines! That's how I was trying to explain to everyone that it's supposed to be but I think I didn't explain very well lol.

Hi Borys,

Sorry, but I do not speak English.
I use google.
You speak of the structure line that appears below the air intake?
If that's it, I think I just figured out.

Zagros, the leads to the rar with "blanc18" skin!

THE LINK

My first attempt at skinning. Still need to find out where a couple of parts are. Basically I just wanted to modify the stock template with more correct demarcation lines. I added a little slogan just for fun lol. Looks like my pilot is giving middle finger...

post-30291-0-97952700-1453754140_thumb.jpgpost-30291-0-65456200-1453754142_thumb.jpgpost-30291-0-19895800-1453754144_thumb.jpgpost-30291-0-11052500-1453754148_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

WIP of what will propably be my last MiG skin for now.

I decided to do this one from late summer 1941: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/yellow32.html

post-13181-0-22897600-1453846139_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-80387400-1453846156_thumb.jpg

I wanted the skin to appear a bit more shiny and "factory fresh", so I'm currently in a painstaking proces of reducing and changing all the weathering and, especially, the paint chipping as well as messing around with the alpha layer, inparticular I'm trying to redo the horrid "dark scratches" on all the wooden parts, which I've always thought were way overdone and made light reflections look very unnatural (on the current skin you'll see the "new" alpha on the outer wings and the "old style" on the fuselage) . I've never done anything like this, my earlier skins have always been mere repaintings, so it's very labour intensive for me, as I'm essentially doing trial and error.

Still, a lot of fun, and I definately think this skin is gonna turn out pleasant. I just wish there was a way to make the entire sliding canopy and radio mast transparent, so it would reflect the actual configuration of that particular MiG.

Ok so my personal skin is coming along. I changed the slogan to my wife's name in Cyrillic. I may have to change it though. Anybody know how to spell Joanna? She is Polish so the pronunciation is Yoan-na. Google translated it to a DZ sound so I don't know if those first two characters are correct. Anyway this is my first time ever skinning anything ever and I've only been using MS Paint until about two weeks ago. Does anyone know how to change the size of the brush when painting? As you can see I wanted to go with the early bare metal with black back propeller blades. I also made the starter tooth bare metal on the outside as I think it looks better than shiny black. I'm going to work on weathering the blades and tooth a bit. Also if anyone wants I can post up some pics showing where to locate hard to find parts like the starter tooth, wing root intake doors, gun pod covers, and that little rectangular step looking spot on the rear of the left wing root.

post-30291-0-09847300-1454116480_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-37983800-1454116499_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-08298000-1454116536_thumb.png

post-30291-0-19607100-1454171278_thumb.jpg

Here is a little something to help out with the skin changes for the new 3d modifications as well as finding some of the harder to find parts on the MiG. Hope it helps :)

Also here is my personal skin again with the Yo-an-na translation to Russian. Anybody know which version is correct? I do think I like the color and lettering style of the new one better though. I am also getting better at piloting this beauty. I am no dogfighter but I've managed a few E7s and even a couple of F2s in this baby. 

post-30291-0-26007000-1454171860_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-59714400-1454171862_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-46201900-1454171867_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-04103600-1454171871_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-67096100-1454171878_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-13446100-1454171887_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Joanna itself is hard to translate. The Russian equivalent is Яна (Jana), not sure how you or your wife feel about that. Joan D'Arc was translated to Жанна (Zhanna) so that might work as well. It's all down to you wanting to keep the pronounciation in its original form, or have the name itself translated.

Alternatively there were French Polish units fighting with the Red Army in addition to individual pilots from different countries such as Spain, perhaps if you talk it through with the regiment's commander he might allow you to paint it in Latin :biggrin:

• Upvote 1