216th_Jordan

Mig 3 - First Impressions

Flew this thing all the way up to 10,000 km last night, fully pegged throttle and never leveling off. Rads/Oil fully open. Everything 100%, no overheating problems. This was for about an hour at max. Nothing ever happened until I ran out of gas (80%). My engine shutdown and I began a steep dive and then my engine finally broke probably from overspeeding. Seems fishy.

That is really impressive, right through the exosphere up to the edge of vacuum space. Just a little tweak to the engine and the Soviets could have been on the moon in the 1940s. ;)

Edit: Oops I see Stig already made this joke.  

Edited by unreasonable

One question emerges.How an engine can shut down and after some time finaly break down? Isn't shut down caused by breakdown? That's fishy for sure.

One question emerges.How an engine can shut down and after some time finaly break down? Isn't shut down caused by breakdown? That's fishy for sure.

Ran out of gas...so it shutdown.

Flew to 10,000 km today again without any problems. That's the fishy part. Maybe its right.

I was flying mig-3 mostly at 80% mixture (without bost, radiators at 50-60%, prop 80%, throttle 100%), then i saw temperature icon and temp at 120 deg. at all gauges (was at 6km height). I opened fully radiators, reduces throttle and propeller pitch, dived and start to glide. But temp would not go down, my engine was damaged, so i glided and land, was waiting in cockpit couple minutes but temperature stays all time at 120 degrees.

About MiG: it is not good climber, very stiff at high speeds, force feedback is broken. I wish that trim tabs could be bind to axis. Any way I had fun suprissing 109 from 7 km :)

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Flew to 10,000 km today again without any problems. That's the fishy part. Maybe its right.

Check your math. ;)

Indeed, I had forgotten that. Even in the EU there is no common standard. 

I withdraw my joke.  :blush:

Have to admire the accuracy to three decimal places....

Edited by unreasonable

Well,if you set mixture over 50% (lever in upper half of range) you engage forsazh.That's why I asked for Rpm and MP values. Max continuous should be not more then 2050 rpm and 1020 mmHg MP.Beware,the temp gauges for oil should show 2 values.Temp of oil incoming from engine and temp oil outgoing from radiator/cooling. When the engine is damaged,maybe the oil pump is not working either. But that's just my guess.

bahaha, you fookers knew what I meant. 10 km.

Everything is at 100%(fuel, prop, and Rads/Oil fully open). Just doesnt seem right when all other planes would likely overheat from the way I'm flying it to the exosphere.  Oh well, its my new favorite plane to fly if I have to fly Allies.

Edited by Fern

Oh dear,asking for 2 basic values of engine setup is probably too much :D

And you can find similar limits in manuals for all Soviet fighters of 1941-42 (around 650km/h IAS) due to the fragile connections in the delta wood on the wings. Yet test data shows Soviet fighter designs diving at +700km/h without issue.

The MiG-3 has the best acceleration in a dive (as I believe it should have) but maneuverability suffers to a large degree above 600km/h, so in practical terms it really doesn't matter if the MiG can attain a slightly higher dive speed than the other Soviet fighters (excluding the P-40) Because it's still way behind the German fighters and can hardly pull out of a dive at all, if you get above 700km/h.

I cannot see MiG3 or Yak has any vibration till the speed exceed to 750IAS. so can we say this is some kind of over modeled?

On 2/17/2016 at 1:48 PM, Danziger said:

New MiG-3 video.

Damn that's a beautiful plane.

• Like 1

I agree. I think it is best looking soviet fighter. :salute:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thad said:

I agree. I think it is best looking soviet fighter. :salute:

Yup, the only thing that comes close in my eyes is a Yak-9U with a VK107.

I love the sound of the engine when the mig starts up in game. That vid was worth the thread necro. A real beauty, though I was surprised to see the rads fully open all the time. 

24 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

I love the sound of the engine when the mig starts up in game. That vid was worth the thread necro. A real beauty, though I was surprised to see the rads fully open all the time. 

Restored MiGs use an Allison engine.

Edited by RoflSeal

8 hours ago, RoflSeal said:

Restored MiGs use an Allison engine.

Yep. Just think about how brutal it must have sounded historically with the ginormous Mikulin AM-35. The AM-35 has an absolutely insane displacement of 46 liters, which dwarfs the Merlin 60’s pitiful 27 liters and even the 36 liters of the DB 605, which was considered overly large for a small single-seat fighter.

Edited by Finkeren

On 8/25/2018 at 8:06 AM, Finkeren said:

Yep. Just think about how brutal it must have sounded historically with the ginormous Mikulin AM-35. The AM-35 has an absolutely insane displacement of 46 liters, which dwarfs the Merlin 60’s pitiful 27 liters and even the 36 liters of the DB 605, which was considered overly large for a small single-seat fighter.

Sth like this maybe.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

Sth like this maybe.

Nice video, but honestly I think we can both agree, that running a "naked" engine with no supercharger inside a garage gives you very little idea about how an aircraft will sound when taxiing outdoors, let alone how it will sound in the air. 😉

Just now, Finkeren said:

Nice video, but honestly I think we can both agree, that running a "naked" engine with no supercharger inside a garage gives you very little idea about how an aircraft will sound when taxiing outdoors, let alone how it will sound in the air. 😉

No kidding. He never said that's exactly how it sounded outdoors. 

Just now, LukeFF said:

No kidding. He never said that's exactly how it sounded outdoors. 

Of course he didn't. I'm not pretending to be able to lecture 5tuka about anything, he's one of the most knowledgeable people around here. Just wanted to point out for the benefit others

1 minute ago, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

The DB603 has 44l of Displacement, but a much hotter Cam, so is isn't accurate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcgUPjb16Q

Boy that is one loud supercharger (I presume that's the whistling sound that can be heard over the engine)

On 8/25/2018 at 7:06 AM, Finkeren said:

even the 36 liters of the DB 605, which was considered overly large for a small single-seat fighter.

It's with good reason the Tempest was the fastest thing in the sky down low with a piston engine.

1 minute ago, Talon_ said:

It's with good reason the Tempest was the fastest thing in the sky down low with a piston engine.

Gosh, even the Sabre is only 36.7L? The Mikulin has a displacement roughly 25% larger than that 24 cylinder beast?!? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Gosh, even the Sabre is only 36.7L? The Mikulin has a displacement roughly 25% larger than that 24 cylinder beast?!? 

It's amazing how much better use of it the Sabre makes though. In terms of hp/litre it outclasses even the largest fighter engine of the war by a huge amount.

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

It's amazing how much better use of it the Sabre makes though. In terms of hp/litre it outclasses even the largest fighter engine of the war by a huge amount.

No doubt about it. The AM-35 was a fairly crude engine using fairly crude fuel, unable to run at very high boost. Things got better with the AM-38, but even that only managed about 75% of the power/weight ratio of the Sabre.

5 hours ago, Finkeren said:

I had no idea how big the displacement was on the Mikulin. Gives me a whole new respect for that engine.

Gotta love the Sabre though. The power levels they were able to get out if it by end of the war and just after were incredible.

11 hours ago, Finkeren said:

No doubt about it. The AM-35 was a fairly crude engine using fairly crude fuel, unable to run at very high boost. Things got better with the AM-38, but even that only managed about 75% of the power/weight ratio of the Sabre.

Yeah, the definitive high alt AM-35 development redesignated AM-39 developed ~ 2000 HP on the same displacement and gabarites and came in 1942. It enabled MiG prototypes of I-22X outstanding high alt performance. Sadly none of them saw production.

Just flew the Mig 3 for the 2nd time in multiplayer, got 1 kill and shot up three others, including a friendly who also shot me in a head on pass lol. I have a newfound respect for the Mig and I'll probably fly it much more now, it ha decent performance at altitude but is pretty stiff at high speeds.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Legioneod said:

it ha decent performance at altitude but is pretty stiff at high speeds.

Stff at high speeds and not the best turner at low ones, however it has a narrow, but very sweeeet spot at about 360-380 kph, where it is outstandingly maneouverable with minimal E bleed.

I'm using 10-15% flaps below 320 km/h when forced to turn which helps a lot by stabilizing the aircraft. It's still not outturning 109s but sufficient for quick evasive manouvers.

On 2/17/2016 at 1:48 PM, Danziger said:

New MiG-3 video.

There's a lot of interesting content in that channel... including something like a documentary on the "making-of" BoS which I never seen before, featuring Oleg Maddox, in the flesh:

And this:

Edited by Picchio

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

It's all Greek to me mate...

I think it's Russian not Greek.