216th_Jordan

Mig 3 - First Impressions

Been wondering there's no such thread, so here we go:

It feels quite heavy and is a bit instable on the directional axis, felt that above 3000m is where it really begins to shine.

Don't try to dogfight down low, only P-40 turns worse was my impression. Visibility, especially on landing is very low, but handleable, all in all a fun but but for me not as easy as I had hoped  ;) 

So what do you think? 

a robust plane. no quite as maneuverable as i expected but fast and fun to fly. A nice addition to game. 

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar

I feel like she handles a bit like an undergunned FW 190, except that she gets better with altitude. You really get the sense, that you're sitting in a tiny airframe strapped to the end of a humongous powerful engine.

Haven't tried her much in combat yet, but nothing I've seen so far seems to be at odds with what I've read. She's no world beater, but she's fast enough and in skilled hands will be nothing to trifle with.

Oh, and the view from the cockpit is glorious, as long as you don't try to look for something that's right under your nose.

Just chucking this in here as well as the video section.

I really like the Mig and once again they've done a brilliant job of creating a unique feel to it. I found it a bit hard to get off the ground as the torque is very powerful (or I'm just rubbish) but once in the air it feels very fast and a nice plane to fly. I think it will suit the boom and zoomers and should give the 109s a ride for their money at high alt but I didn't test it there yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqiYoi7xBF4

• Upvote 1

First impression after few online flight :

- Taxi : easy, like a yak, expet you lock the tailwhell by centering your rudder.

- Take Off : nothing much to say, nothing vicious or difficult.

- Landing : easy .... very easy, like the FW190.

- Climb : not great at all, until 4k it is almost horrible (better than the P40 though) after 4K, good, up, great.

- Flight : (tested with full fuel) not that easy, needs a lot of triming to fly straight.

- Turn : Good : feels like a Lagg, you need to pull the stick a lot, but unless the lagg or the La 5 very few high speed stall.

Low alt, with flaps (set to 20°) it is not bad at all, I guess it might turn with a 109F for at least the intial turn.

- Speed (very quick and rough tests) SL , winter, 540 km/h SL summer 480 485 km.h

- Acceleration : just insane, the plane recover very fast from loss of speed, at any altitude

- Dive : 760 km.h

- Engine : easy to manage, do not overheat, even in boost mode.

- Cockpit : gorgeous like the plane, feel like the mst modern Red plane, visibilty is just the best of all planes, expept the I16 maybe. Rear visibility is unmatched.

- Firepower : without unlock, not great, but enough to kill a fighter. With the 2 20mm .... devastating :)

-Overall : Very pleasant to fly, very dangerous in combat,

After a lot of reading abut the plane, it feels just like I tought : late series Mig 3 were awesome planes, development stopped for political and strategical reasons ... otherwise, a good match versus the 109, not even ... but almost ;)

S!

Edited by =LAL=Trinkof

Be sure to check out that soldier in the gun emplacement at 2:06 mark...hilarious!

That happens often. Shell shock is even modeled!

late series Mig 3 were awesome planes, development stopped for political and strategical reasons ...

+1 In case of not stopping development, it would be an impressive machine at the end of the war.  :rolleyes:

Had a bit of fighting time with it tonight against the AI. So far I'm very pleased. We definately didn't get a super fighter, but a very interesting and beautifully modelled aircraft.

The good news:

- Good accelleration in most situations.

- Fast above 5000m, can hunt down a FW 190 at that altitude.

- Very easy CEM, super-sturdy engine can run on max (minus the extra boost) forever without much overheating issue in summer.

- Cooling is extremely effective but very draggy when opened fully (which isn't needed 95% of the time)

- Overall agility is high

- Very easy ground handling, take off (if you're prepared for the torque) and landing (except for the forward view)

- Armament options offer plenty of hitting power against all aircraft.

- Cockpit view around and above is excellent.

- Great dive characteristics.

- Generous fuel supply.

- Handles beautifully above 5000m, best of any VVS fighter - can challenge later 109s and completely outclasses the Fw 190 up there.

- Roll rate is better than 109s (though lower than I expected) Can do impressive snap rolls to the left.

- Unique flaps system makes carefully calibrated use of combat flaps posible.

- Plane and cockpit is beautifully modelled and sounds are awesome.

The bad news:

- Very slow below 3000m, can just barely outrun a Bf 109E7 on combat power.

- Sustained turn rate is poor at low altitude and still inferior to all 109s at high altitude.

- Climb rate is unimpressive, seems to be slightly better than Fw 190 at lower altitudes, inferior to 109s at all altitudes.

- Zoom climb is mediocre.

- Max dive speed inferior to all German fighters.

- Sharp accelerated stalls, while not as big a problem as on the La-5, are still an issue.

- Spins are vicious and take some time to recover from (though I have not yet had a spin that wasn't recoverable)

- Not the stablest gun platform.

- Overall stability not great.

- Cockpit view down and in front is non-existent.

- Lack of aileron trim exacerbates instability.

- Seems structurally weak. Very prone to losing wings and tail surfaces.

- Cooling system is very draggy when more than 50% open.

- Placement of gun sight inhibits proper aim, especially in deflection shooting.

- Nearly worthless as a ground pounder due to combination of poor low level performance, insufficient armament, weak structure and poor downward view.

Apart from the climb rate and roll rate, which are slightly worse, than I would've expected. I can say, that the MiG pretty much lives up to expectations. It's not the greatest fighter, but in skilled hands, it can no doubt be deadly.

So far I'm tearing AI Bf 110s, Fw 190s and MC. 202s apart with it, but 109s give me a headache. I kind kinda fight even with AI E7s above 4000m, but the Fs and Gs slaughter me - which is propably what it should be like.

I have a completetly different impression. for me it does 515 kph easily at gorund level, and although it isn't a light thoroughbred I feel confident even at low altitude.

I also think it has an issue with overheating. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann
  • Upvote 1

A great plane for his time. Sadly nobody will fly only Bf-109 F-2 & E-7 or the Mc.202. You are forced to face newer planes that are better for his time. The only plane what survive every time period is the Rata-Ta-Ta. 

It doesn't. 

I have a completetly different impression. for me it does 515 kph easily at gorund level, and although it isn't a light thoroughbred I feel confident even at low altitude.

If you're pressing it to do 515 km/h at SL, no wonder you're overheating. I actually find the cooler to be quite effective.

The Problem I have is that I don't achieve anywhere even close to the top speed right now. It's too slow at high altitude. 600kph without overheating. It should do 615-640 depending on source. 

If you're pressing it to do 515 km/h at SL, no wonder you're overheating. I actually find the cooler to be quite effective.

I actually could press it to 535 at Sea Level, however with reasonable power settings you can easily get 508-515. 

Are you testing on the autumn map?

Yes. 

PS: 25% Oil Rads, 40-50% Water Rads and Full Boost will get you 518 kph for at least 3 minutes. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

Hmmmm....

On the summer map, I can get to 495-500 km/h with 25% water rad, fully closed oil rad, keeeping it just on the verge of overheating with MP at 1120 (doesn't seem to do any difference if I control it with throttle or mixture) 

It's still pretty good for summer conditions and it'll let you outrun a Bf 109E7, unless he uses emergency power, but it's not 515.

Overcooling the engine in a dive, slowing down to 450 and then slamming throttle, going full boost and closing all rads, I got her to 520 km/h for a brief moment, but I'd really not consider it worth it.

Hmmmm....

On the summer map, I can get to 495-500 km/h with 25% water rad, fully closed oil rad, keeeping it just on the verge of overheating with MP at 1120 (doesn't seem to do any difference if I control it with throttle or mixture) 

It's still pretty good for summer conditions and it'll let you outrun a Bf 109E7, unless he uses emergency power, but it's not 515.

Overcooling the engine in a dive, slowing down to 450 and then slamming throttle, going full boost and closing all rads, I got her to 520 km/h for a brief moment, but I'd really not consider it worth it.

Different Maps. Your 520 on the Summer Map are my 535 on the autumn. 

I checked again : oil overheat temperature is around 100°, for water the technochat is raising the "alarm" at 120° ... not sure if correct, anyway, in game regarding these limits, the plane do not overheat, and can run at "Boost" power continously without heat management trouble, even on summer map.

With boost and without overheating, and careful temperature management, I reached 550 (winter) at SL.

Anyway the acceleration is just really awesome ... and top speed make it really interesting for any senario, even facing G2 and F4 (unlike some other BOM plane which are clearly outclassed on performance by the later planes)

Regarding speed, on the other hand, in summer especially .... it is just almost as fast as the yak SL, (with no overheating) :)

Edited by =LAL=Trinkof

I definately broke my engine through overheating at one point. Happened fairly quickly too.

She starts to lose control plane at about 820kph which is higher than Yak (780kph), but one the other hand the control starts to be stiff at much lower speed.   :wacko:

Nice plane. Not a good fire platform, but nice and interesting to fly. And with some capacities...

Yes, the coolant system is quite effective. You can overheat your engine (not too long, though), but when you open up the water radiator, T° is dropping quickly. It seems to me also that there is no need to open oil radiators, oil is not overheated, even on the summer map. And oil radiators are causing some drag... Without the boost, it seems that the water radiator only 50% open is doing its job.

Speed is very good with the boost... at 600 m (altitude stabilizer, summer map), with 100% fuel and the boost, I found 525 km/h with all the radiators closed (not very long, of course...). 500 km/h with the water radiator open, and 490 with all the radiators open.

You can see three annotations under the mixture throttle, on the left :

ВЫСОТА (Vyssota), altitude, to the rear.

ЗЕМЛЯ (zimlya), ground, on the middle.

ФОРСАЖ (forçage, phonetic transcription from French), boost, forward.

This can help to handle your mixture and boost...

Handles beautifully above 5000m, best of any VVS fighter - can challenge later 109s and completely outclasses the Fw 190 up there.

that should completely not be the case. Very sad to hear. Even at 6500m the 190 should still be around 25kph faster. Don't like the direction this is going  :unsure:

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

that should completely not be the case. Very sad to hear. Even at 6500m the 190 should still be around 25kph faster. Don't like the direction this is going  :unsure:

Because one fellow posts a thought about it means that its true and/or free from perception bias? Unless someone does speed trials and records it... Don't believe anything. Peoples feelings are often totally opposite to what is true.

• Upvote 2

Out of curiosity: what sources for performance charts do you use?

I dunno, maybe it's my joystick settings, but this bird is a FW (AI) killer up high, and down low...having a blast with it (at high speed); it's like sitting back in a Cadillac (brick on the accelerator) with some pretty radical guns with which to shoot whatever it is that happens to be in front of them! :)

post-17005-0-32302400-1450839440_thumb.jpg

Anybody do a mission with 2xUB or 2xShVak? It seems those versions have the starter tooth on the spinner. I've only been able to drool over it in the skin viewer animation so far :(

ok here a question for you guys..  are the MiG-3 gauges are at the right size ratio in the cockpit, are the colors correct?

ok here a question for you guys..  are the MiG-3 gauges are at the right size ratio in the cockpit, are the colors correct?

according to the Russians the dials are correct.

Ok, finally had a few minutes to try it out (this is my 15 minute review). I love this plane... I'm having so much fun with it. Its a bit more forgiving in a turn than a LaGG-3 Series 29... I think its the leading edge slats that help give you some extra help and prevent you from fully flicking out of the turn. Its disconcerting at first but you get the hang of it - not as smooth or nice as the ones on the Bf109 is my sense here.

The guns at default are adequate for fighters but not for bombers and I can see why they wanted to up gun the MiG-3 in whatever ways they could. I love the options available to us in that way too. I look forward to flying the MiG-3 some more!

that should completely not be the case. Very sad to hear. Even at 6500m the 190 should still be around 25kph faster. Don't like the direction this is going :unsure:

I think you misunderstood me. I was refering only to how the plane handles at high altitude, not how fast it's going. Based on my own experience only, my point is, that the MiG is much more pleasant to fly and can do tighter maneuvers at high alt than the Fw 190.

So far I've only taken out AI Fw 190s, and as we know, the AI doesn't get the best performance out of the planes. It's very posible, that the 190 is faster up there.

Anybody do a mission with 2xUB or 2xShVak? It seems those versions have the starter tooth on the spinner. I've only been able to drool over it in the skin viewer animation so far :(

Yes, for some reason they decided to put the tooth there if you modify the cowling armament. Propably because the tooth was most generally seen late in the production run, and the 4-500 upgunned MiGs were some of the very last to be produced.

that should completely not be the case. Very sad to hear. Even at 6500m the 190 should still be around 25kph faster. Don't like the direction this is going :unsure:

Don't worry. The only things the Mig-3 can do better at that altitude is climbing better and turning tighter.

BTW: The updated gun sounds for the UBS and ShVAK are awesome. :biggrin:

With 2xUBS + 2xUBK pods, the MiG is actually a fine bomber killer. If only it was a little sturdier.

The AI seems to also have an easier time engaging bombers in the MiG than in for instance the P-40 - most likely because of the higher speed. Last night I did a quick mission with a flight of 3 MiGs armed with 4 HMGs against 8 He 111s. We cleared the skies within a couple of minutes with me taking down 4 Heinkels and my wingmen sharing the rest. After the fight, I had a slight engine damage, but managed a landing without the engine cutting out. One of my wingmen had a single fuel leak, the other was completely unscathed.

A good candidate for becoming my preferred BoS / BoM fighter!

Is it easy ?  Certainly not  !   Is it a charm to fly and feel what I believe is a very exact reproduction of the behavior of the real thing? I'm pretty much sure that's the case.

Great aircraft!  Great flight sim!

For sure. It has that special charm, that also applies to the LaGG, that makes you want to learn to do great things with it, even though you know that it isn't particularly good.

I think the 3D Gauges diameters and stick are too small.

I think the 3D Gauges diameters and stick are too small.

There might be a point about the stick, but the gauges look fine to me.