Sign in to follow this  
MrHemlocks

Natural Point TrackIR 4 Pro Head Tracking System?

One of the difficulties I been having enjoying this game is the key/joystick set-up. For my Joystick I am using the Extreme 3D Pro (Logitech). I am aware the joystick is sub-par but my son bought it for me and I will use it till it fails. Was thinking about getting the Natural Point TrackIR 4 Pro Head Tracking System. Would this be a 'good' trackIr for the game?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EP3BAC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A2TXQ7NB4T9QWL

Edited by MrHemlocks

That is what I use (with the pro clip added)  YOu can download and use the version 5 software too.  What you lose is some side to side motion (leaning out of the cockpit)  In this sim it doesn't matter to much because you can only lean so far anyway.  When you are in the air with the glass up you hit your head on the virtual  glass anyway and you can lean out plenty far enough on the ground to steer around with.  If money is a consideration, I'd get the 4 again.

Weird, I also have the Trackir 4 that I use with the v5 sw and the hat clip that comes with the set - broke the pro-clip for hooking on the headphones pretty fast :0(

and I can lean out of the pit that is if airpressure/air speed permits.

BTW In the tank turret with open hatch you can look around with Trackir if the gun is stowed = no longer tied to the mous axises ;0)

Edited by MaxFreeman

TIR5 just has higher resolution than TIR4, still has the same 6DOF so does not effect how far one can lean out.

I found the 5 to be a little smoother and precise than the 4, not a lot but some.  I found myself needing to re-center more in the 4, in the 5 I rarely need to do so after the first re-center I do upon entering the cockpit.

I would recommend the 5 as it is the latest, but if money is the concern and the 4 can be had cheaper than it will do great as well.

You won't regret the purchase of a 4 or 5.  I'm still using a 3 (about 10 years old) with 6 DoF and v5 software and can hang out the side of the plane just fine where it's allowed.  It will also allow you to remap the hat switches on the joystick to other functions.

tir more essential than....most peripherals. get...one before u even think of getting separate throttle or rudders even. it will improve your SA immensly.

i got the first version back in the days... got a three...and then a 5 when the 3 died.... cant fly without it.

Edited by SvAF/F19_Klunk

$92 for a new Trackir 4?  Absolute bargain.  Get it now - it's a game changer.    

That's the headtracker I and all of the guys I fly with use, and neither I nor any of them have complaints.  Quite the opposite, once you use it you will never want to be without it.  Nothing else will change how you enjoy flight simming like that.  Get it!!!