Han

Developer Diary, Part 116 - Discussion

Hello everyone!

This week the new plane, MiG-3, is being finalized and beta-tested. Today we'll tell you about this new addition to the sim in detail. In short, MiG-3 fleshes out to be an interesting, if stubborn, aircraft...

Of course, we continue Battle of Moscow development at full speed....

We also finished additional AI controlled ground units required for Battle of Moscow scenarios...

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 6

looks good! can't wait to test the MiG to it's limits  :)

Wow! The MiG pit looks great! Simply can't wait! :biggrin:

Looks like she's gonna be nothing but fun in a very unique way.

One thing struck me though: In the armaments options is listed only 500 rounds for the twin UBS nose guns variant. I thought it was well established, that the 2xUBS armed MiGs carried 700 rounds? (350 rounds per gun, sometimes misinterpreted as an incredible 700 rounds per gun)

Glad to see, therewon't be an AM-38 version though.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 2

The Moscow map looks excellent, and it actually includes Moscow!

But what does the red tinted area in the Eastern part of the map mean? Will that area be "closed off" such that we can't fly over Moscow itself but only look at it from a distance?

But what does the red tinted area in the Eastern part of the map mean? Will that area be "closed off" such that we can't fly over Moscow itself but only look at it from a distance?

Yes, you can't fly over Moscow itself but only look at it from a distance. We've already talked about this before. We can't make such a big city in a timely manner. Also, Luftwaffe bombed Moscow rarely fall and winter of 1941. The main air battles took place west of the city.

Yes, you can't fly over Moscow itself but only look at it from a distance. We've already talked about this before. We can't make such a big city in a timely manner. Also, Luftwaffe bombed Moscow rarely fall and winter of 1941. The main air battles took place west of the city.

Okay. A bit of a bummer, but maybe for a future "spare time" project...

Edited by Finkeren

Thanks for the update. Any info as of when the patch comes?

Next week?

We hope in the end of the month.

In the end of the month.

Thanks for clarifying that. This much info had my hopes up for next week.

I'll clothe myself in patience then....

• Upvote 1

Excellent seems we have the MiG around the Corner, For the Moscow city, well can be added later. 

Cant wait to view the screens in HD once back home. I have to admint I like the way Dev diaries are managed now with more subject based interesting informations about whats coming up, technical details and of course nice screenshots abd videos.

Keep it up devs!

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

True, the last few DDs have been superb, with lots of both info and eye candy.

Such a beautiful machine. My favourite WW2 plane finally modelled in full 1c/777 glory :) My wife is getting BoM for my winter holiday gift so unfortunately I won't be able to fly her until the 25th :(

• Upvote 1

Yet another good and interesting update, thank you Han.

Is there on the new map some more terrain differences? Every map on this game is too flat! I know it is correct by location, but this is only thing that i really missing in this game. Maybe later versions of IL2 can include some maps like ALPS etc. - That could be fantastic :)

• Upvote 1

Is there on the new map some more terrain differences? Every map on this game is too flat! I know it is correct by location, but this is only thing that i really missing in this game. Maybe later versions of IL2 can include some maps like ALPS etc. - That could be fantastic :)

You would want a battle set in the Kuban region. There are some great mountains that push up against the Black Sea.

• Upvote 4

There's a Murmansk Map in the works, though it seems to be a bit on hold for the time being - not sure why. That's heavily mountainous terrain but very featureless otherwise, since we're so far North.

Otherwise your best bet for mountains on the Eastern Front would be the Kuban area, which featured prominently in the original IL-2 and which we might see here as well at some point. Otherwise you aren't gonna see much in the way of curved terrain.

Other theatres like Italy, parts of North Africa etc. could also provide some mountain ranges, though their height may vary quite a bit.

Why would you want a map of the Alps btw? Very little air combat in WW2 took place over the Alps, and for very good reason. There were practically no military targets of importance (at least not the kind that could be easily attacked from the air) and at the time just flying over the Alps involved quite a bit of risk, to say nothing of air combat.

• Upvote 1

Now that I'm more awake.... I love this developer diary update. Thanks team! The screen shots and information are excellent, informative, and right on point. The MiG-3 was one of the types that I've become increasingly interested in flying in the DN engine and I can't wait to take it out for a spin. The fact that you've got so many different submodels (armament options) represented here is even more exciting to me.

The MiG-3 was one of the types that I've become increasingly interested in flying in the DN engine and I can't wait to take it out for a spin.

For a lot of us "taking the MiG out for a spin" is going to be a quite litteral description of what we're gonna do. :dry:

• Upvote 3

For a lot of us "taking the MiG out for a spin" is going to be a quite litteral description of what we're gonna do. :dry:

I can already see it - climb to 8,000m, try to do a tight turn, come down spinning and recover at 1,200m. Repeat until out of fuel/hanging by the chute/dead :biggrin:

This part made me happy :P 

It can reach high speeds - with boost it lags only 10 km/h behind Bf 109 F4 in combat mode, and if you close radiators you have a chance to catch an F4 before the engine temperature becomes critical.

Oh I'm fully expecting that :D

Moscow map looks like the map Velikie Luki. Don't wait for the high mountains or hills)

• Upvote 1

There's a Murmansk Map in the works, though it seems to be a bit on hold for the time being - not sure why.

Actually Murmansk's map is not in work now. The guy (@@abr), that was making a lot of the work, went off from the volunteers team (nobody knows why, probably some IRL reasons) and there isn't somebody else who can/want to do this work. 

Well, by looking at the map there should be some 50m-tall hills by the outskirts of Moscow if I remember the area correctly. And maybe you can see Poklonnaya in the distance.

Hardly the kind of stuff you can navigate by though, but at the same time this is a thickly populated region with lots of roads. To hell with it, Moscow and surroundings are beautiful and everyone who says otherwise is either in denial or needs to go there :biggrin:

The letters on the map are a little small, but I can see Tver/Kalinin is there and by the looks of it Torzhok too. Lots of places to visit :)

The 3 seasons (summer, fall, winter) it will be present at the output of BOM ?

If i remember correctly, BoM will come with all 3 at launch

The Moscow map looks excellent, and it actually includes Moscow!

It's like when the camera pans over a shoulder in a thriller. There is a reason in the plot. It is not done without a reason. Something will happen later in that scene.

Similarly, Moscow will be part of another scenario/map at some point. It makes no sense to devote design time if it won't be used later.

The fall and winter. Campaign will begin on October 2, 1941 and will end on April 20, 1942. In the spring of 1942 snow started thawing only on April 10. Therefore the spring part of the campaign will be shown on the winter map.