Sign in to follow this  
DD_APHill

Mission editor is Kaput

Hi,

Not sure what is happening. I can't get maps any maps to load properly. Have no 3d view.  

Its been working.

I get no error messages. I get no 3d view no terrain view just a map as in the first screenshot When I toggle the camera for the ortho view I get the second screenshot. 

I tried the Reset Editor Settings cmd ...No joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

post-1035-0-90412500-1449554053_thumb.jpg

post-1035-0-54910300-1449554068_thumb.jpg

First screenshot is Map view, there is no landscape there. Second one is ortho view, although it looks like some videocard issue.

Just click once more on ortho view button, it will become unpressed and editor should switch to 3d view mode.

View map related buttons in toolbar are:

coloured icon - toggle GUI Map view

coloured icon next to it - toggle minimap (on second screenshot it is displayed in the upper right conner)

icon of arrow directed down - when it is sunken (pressed) it means ortho view, when it is unpressed - 3d view.

You can switch view modes by Ctrl + F9 or Shift + F9 as well.

I am quite certain this is not a video card issue. The mission editor was working fine. I have been making missions for quite some time and am fairly familiar with the editor, as I was with the Rise of flight editor. The last month or two. When I first start the mission editor it normally opened with a landscape map not the satellite view like you see there in the first screenshot is the first thing that comes up. When I hit the ortho view key I get that second view. Clicking on any ortho view again does not fix it.

My game does not have terrain.CFG file. I read that post of yours about deleting the terrain.CFG file.

How this all started was that I saw a post about making BOS look better. Below is a link to the initial article.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12501-you-also-think-bos-beautiful-how-about-making-it-absolutly-g/

At some point around post 370 I believe, they started talking about how the terrain.INI had been merged into a terrain.CFG I believe. (I never had a terrain.ini file either).

Somebody posted a link to a zip file containing a terrain.CFG file, because somebody was asking about how to make a terrain.CFG file, they were told to use notepad to make a text file and change it to a.CFG file, well, somewhere along in the discussion,, someone posted a link to a zip file containing a terrain.CFG file that had everything already in it.

So I downloaded and unzipped it and put the terrain.CFG file in my battle Stalingrad data folder. Ran the Sim and everything was fine, shut it down, came back and started the mission editor and got a weird screen that was black with little pinpoints of light showing up. I should’ve taken a screenshot of it was obviously messed up. I tried using the ortho view key, but to no avail, it just continued to be messed up. I have a black background with the grid and little points of light that were obviously objects but you could just see points of light.

I remembered reading on the forum about using the Reset Editor Settings.cmd which I did and that took care of the black screen with a little white points of light on it and gave me the first screen view with no landscape and I thought maybe I had fixed it. But when I hit the ortho key I get the second view that you see in the screenshot which is not normal, and am certain is not a video card issue. I don’t know what the problem is, but I think I may have caused it by putting in the terrain.cfg file, which actually removed itself and is no longer there.

I guess I’m going to have to try to uninstall and reinstall the game. Unfortunately a lot of people have tried this and is not worked for other issues with the mission editor. Are there registry entries, other than just the one 1CGS folder, that I need to delete in the registry to have a clean install of the game?

Sorry if this seems rambling and makes no sense I guess you had to be there to see it I wish I’d taken a video of it.

Thanks for the replies.

Just a shot in the dark here but does your Terrain Presets selection match your GUI map selection in the mission properties? They won't necessarily have the same name but they should apply to the same terrain.

Edited by JimTM

Jim,

Well, I didn't check that before I uninstalled and reinstalled. The uninstall- reinstall did the trick. If it happens again I will keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks for the reply.

Sure am glad Its working again. I have as much fun working with the ME as I do flying BOS. Strange as that might sound. 

Jim,

Well, I didn't check that before I uninstalled and reinstalled. The uninstall- reinstall did the trick. If it happens again I will keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks for the reply.

Sure am glad Its working again. I have as much fun working with the ME as I do flying BOS. Strange as that might sound.

I understand, making missions is a lot of fun, especially when things work as you expected.

I understand, making missions is a lot of fun, especially when things work as you expected.

Yep! Pretty much the biggest sense of achievement I've had in the entire game was for a training mission I did, when I got the timing right for a train to activate just before the high viaduct crossing the Don twenty or thirty km south of Kalach so that the train crosses the bridge as the instructor and student go over - or under! - the bridge. Loverly.

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 1

Yep! Pretty much the biggest sense of achievement I've had in the entire game was for a training mission I did, when I got the timing right for a train to activate just before the high viaduct crossing the Don twenty or thirty km south of Kalach so that the train crosses the bridge as the instructor and student go over - or under! - the bridge. Loverly.

And very nice it is too.

von Tom