PatrickAWlson

PWCG 9.0.0 From the ground up

38 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

After you created the campaign was the date 1942 and Stalingrad?  

April 1st, 1942. Home field is Kalach (east of the Don River). The front lines showing on the briefing map are just west of the Don River.

6 hours ago, sevenless said:

Small glitch I guess. I can´t select No. 66 Sqn as a Sqn Leader. I can select No. 66 Sqn as a Fg Lt.

According to a post of Pat in the 'New Issues Thread', I would guess, the squadron leader of the 66 Sqn is a historical ace, whom you can't replace.

10 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

According to a post of Pat in the 'New Issues Thread', I would guess, the squadron leader of the 66 Sqn is a historical ace, whom you can't replace.

Hahaha, ah that indeed explains it. I will be flying with Johnnie Johnson. Look:

Unbenannt2.jpg

11 minutes ago, blue_max said:

Haha, Pat, I just realized, are those Max & Moritz in your avatar?!

Yes.  Use them on everything, including my personal AC skins - both WWI and WWII.  Interesting thing is since Busch wrote the books in the 1800s and I read them in the 1960s you know they were around during those time periods.  Almost surprised a real pilot didn't use them.

Wow! My mom would read that to me as a kid, together with Der Suppenkaspar. Really funny to run into this on the IL2 forum :)

Perhaps I should try a different flight-or plane group. I really want to stick with the Allied side though and sure do like the Spit.

Just 8 missions into my new Spit MK IX Bodenplatte Campaign and the enemy is dwindling down.

They are down to just 6 fighter groups and 2 attack groups. We vastly outnumber them on the Allied side. Missions are getting barren again and just running mainly into other friendlies the last couple, so this seems to be headed same as my last campaign attempt.

Or perhaps start a new campaign in Kuban and see how things go.

8 hours ago, dburne said:

Perhaps I should try a different flight-or plane group. I really want to stick with the Allied side though and sure do like the Spit.

Just 8 missions into my new Spit MK IX Bodenplatte Campaign and the enemy is dwindling down.

They are down to just 6 fighter groups and 2 attack groups. We vastly outnumber them on the Allied side. Missions are getting barren again and just running mainly into other friendlies the last couple, so this seems to be headed same as my last campaign attempt.

Or perhaps start a new campaign in Kuban and see how things go.

Hmmm while this might be historically accurate, it also sounds a bit boring. Maybe an option where you can choose the strength of each side between 'historical', 'evenly matched', 'outnumbered' and such? 

47 minutes ago, Almenas said:

Had a ground attack mission and instead of flying to the target, the first single target was attacked.

Barbarossa202005311605525.zip 948.78 kB · 0 downloads

Did the attack icon appear?  Were you still flying through Nav icons?  My first thought is I don't see the problem but I also concede I might not be understanding what you feel is an issue.

Attacking something should happen once the AttackArea MCU is triggered.  That trigger is based only on range to target area.  Once it appears the AI will attack whatever it will. 

I would find it odd for the AI to attack if a Navigation WP was active.  There again: AI decision, but that would be one that I have never seen before.

Attack or don't is an AI decision.  It is influenced by mission design but with PWCG mission design definitely not scripted to the last detail (very much on purpose).  As a result sometimes the AI will make unusual decisions.

PWCG is coded to intentionally put a lot of different situations on a map. Unusual things hopefully will happen, otherwise it's just fly to target, shoot something, rinse wash repeat.  

@dburne @blue_max My own campaign has progressed through Moscow and into May of 1942 in western Stalingrad.  I have seen no activity maybe once or twice.  If you have slaughtered half the opposition then take a break (leave) for a month.  By now you probably have a victory count in triple digits so a rest is deserved :) 

So that was part tongue in cheek but also part serious.  Down to details: I can look at loss vs replacement rate.  Temporary inactivity due to heavy losses i by design and I have no desire to change that.  Long term inactivity is not by design and may require some tweaking of out of mission losses/replacement to resolve.

@dburne Zip up your campaign and I can run some analysis on it.  I might even add a detailed intel page that would let you see the state of all of the squadrons so you can check the situation for yourself.

I had suggested turning on the view that allows you so see enemy flights.  Have you tried that to see if enemy flights are being generated and where they are going?  

I am trying to figure out why you are not seeing activity but others don't seem to be experiencing the same thing.  It could be that there is enemy activity being generated but something about the map and squadron placement is limiting encounters.  Need feedback or your campaign to get a better idea of why you are seeing what you are seeing.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear: I flew the mission once again with the same result. The AI started attacking a single target shortly after takeoff and still very far away from the actual target. Find it a bit of a waste to spend 5 bombs on it. For clarification I made the screenshot. If this is so, then you don't need to specify a target after all.

1.jpg

Edited by Almenas

6 minutes ago, Almenas said:

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear: I flew the mission once again with the same result. The AI started attacking a single target shortly after takeoff and still very far away from the actual target. Find it a bit of a waste to spend 5 bombs on it. For clarification I made the screenshot. If this is so, then you don't need to specify a target after all.

I've seen this happen before - I suspect the waypoints on the way to the target might be low priority rather than medium, but I've not had a chance to investigate 

4 hours ago, Murleen said:

I've seen this happen before - I suspect the waypoints on the way to the target might be low priority rather than medium, but I've not had a chance to investigate 

Should be medium, but even on low I have not seen airplanes randomly attack ground targets without an active attack MCU.  The attack area check zone will trigger regardless of path, so if the flight goes close enough that will just happen.  At that point the AI will attack whatever it feels like.  If this was an attack with nav still active it would be the first time I have seen such behavior.

5 hours ago, Almenas said:

1.jpg

Can you post the mission?  Seems too far away to have triggered the attack area check zone but hard to tell just by looking at it.

Edited by PatrickAWlson

6 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@dburne @blue_max My own campaign has progressed through Moscow and into May of 1942 in western Stalingrad.  I have seen no activity maybe once or twice.  If you have slaughtered half the opposition then take a break (leave) for a month.  By now you probably have a victory count in triple digits so a rest is deserved :) 

So that was part tongue in cheek but also part serious.  Down to details: I can look at loss vs replacement rate.  Temporary inactivity due to heavy losses i by design and I have no desire to change that.  Long term inactivity is not by design and may require some tweaking of out of mission losses/replacement to resolve.

Pat,

I am not going to worry with it and take up your valuable time as it would seem I am the only one seeing this.

I can tell you this if it helps any:

I am 11 missions (11 days) into the new Spit Mk IX Bodenplatte Campaign, flying for 66 Squadron. Oct 4th 1944  was my last flight to date.

As of this moment, according to the Intel Report, we have:

Allied - 14 Fighter squadrons, and 3 Bomber Squadrons.

Axis -  1 Fighter Squadron, 1 Attack Squadron, 1 Bomber Squadron, and 1 Transport Squadron.

This would seem to me to be why perhaps I get missions with no enemy air AI action at times.

My total air victories to date are 23.

Edited by dburne

20 hours ago, dburne said:

Pat,

I am not going to worry with it and take up your valuable time as it would seem I am the only one seeing this.

I can tell you this if it helps any:

I am 11 missions (11 days) into the new Spit Mk IX Bodenplatte Campaign, flying for 66 Squadron. Oct 4th 1944  was my last flight to date.

As of this moment, according to the Intel Report, we have:

Allied - 14 Fighter squadrons, and 3 Bomber Squadrons.

Axis -  1 Fighter Squadron, 1 Attack Squadron, 1 Bomber Squadron, and 1 Transport Squadron.

This would seem to me to be why perhaps I get missions with no enemy air AI action at times.

My total air victories to date are 23.

So I started requesting some leave in hopes the enemy AI pilots would build up some.

I did 7 days at a time, for a total of 3 times or 21 days.

Enemy is down to only 1 Transport Squadron now, and that is it.

Friendlies we have 14 fighter squadrons, and 3 bomber squadrons.

I guess I will consider this Campaign done after 11 missions. Just not in the cards for me...

45 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I will look into loss/replacement rates.

Much thanks.