PWCG 13.5.0 What do you mean I didn't hit him?

PatrickAWlson

PatrickAWlson

It makes a binary mission file (.msbin).  The binary file takes a few minutes to make from PWCG but is loaded much more quickly than by the game.

Hey Pat

Here's a question. My squadron flies your CG for one of our flight nights and we love it but my question is, Is there a way to hand out promotions to the pilots. In other words I had a pilot a 2nd Lt. who received a promotion from me but I cant edit his rank from 2nd Lt. to 1st Lt. without having to start a new campaign. Can you install a way to edit the pilots rank so we can hand out unit promotions.

I am trying to add another pilot to a campaign.  He is already listed as a user but when I try to add a pilot, after I have completed all the steps , I get an error.  The log is attached.  Please explain what I am doing wrong and how to correct it.  
Thank you in advance.

Edited by Deacon352nd
Never mind, Pat. I changed the font size and now I can see the entire screen and see that there already was a user and pilot that had been added but before the change in font, I couldn't see it.

Just an observation from my end.

I am getting a lot of no enemy ai aircraft now. Probably have spent the last couple of hours just flying around looking at scenery, so am calling it a day.

Especially when they are the higher altitude long distance missions , they can get brutal when nothing ever shows up.

This is on both patrol and intercept missions flying Spit Mk IX campaign in Bodenplatte.

I also would note I hardly ever see enemy bombers to attack, it is like they don't exist. All I have run across is 109's and 190's,

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Just an observation from my end.

I am getting a lot of no enemy ai aircraft now. Probably have spent the last couple of hours just flying around looking at scenery, so am calling it a day.

Especially when they are the higher altitude long distance missions , they can get brutal when nothing ever shows up.

This is on both patrol and intercept missions flying Spit Mk IX campaign in Bodenplatte.

I also would note I hardly ever see enemy bombers to attack, it is like they don't exist. All I have run across is 109's and 190's,

In the other thread, Patrick has stated that there is a bug with re-supply, it will be addressed soon.

I think Pat suggested taking a few days leave to allow resupply.  Not sure if that worked or not. Haven’t run into this yet but I’m early in my current campaign. 

365th FG 1944 , I selected air start.

When mission starts all the planes do a 180 and return to base.

Or are past the objective already returning to base.

Also when generation a mission it takes a long time , for the mission to get generated, about 5 minutes or so.

Love PWCG by the way, only way to play SP in IL2

Hey Pat

I was wondering is it possible to have the mission generator add a secondary target to the mission? There times where we go out on a mission say to hit Factory or an airfield and the mission is fairly quick so we RTB but if we had a secondary target It would make pilots more aware of having to save ammo and give us more to hit on a mission...it would be great to have a mission where we go out and say strike a  NME airfield and then on the way back we see a convoy or another target to strike...Just curious if this is a possibility. Thanks mate

Also any word on my above post about promoting pilots? 

Edited by 361st_Bugsy
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 361st_Bugsy said:

Also any word on my above post about promoting pilots? 

On 12/20/2019 at 4:54 PM, 361st_Bugsy said:

Hey Pat

Here's a question. My squadron flies your CG for one of our flight nights and we love it but my question is, Is there a way to hand out promotions to the pilots. In other words I had a pilot a 2nd Lt. who received a promotion from me but I cant edit his rank from 2nd Lt. to 1st Lt. without having to start a new campaign. Can you install a way to edit the pilots rank so we can hand out unit promotions.

If you feel comfortable editing the files themselves, pilot ranks are stored in the .json files in the personnel folder of your campaign. I believe  you can edit these manually without breaking anything, but you may want to make a backup copy in case it causes an error.

I just tried in my campaign, and was able to give myself an unearned promotion and then back to the original. Maybe you didn't type the new rank exactly as the software expects it to be? I would make sure cases and spaces are correct and try again.

Happy New Year All!

My buddies and I use PWCG to generate individual missions to play online as coop.  We don't use the same aircraft and don't log kills, we just enjoy shooting AI's.  With version 7.4 of the program I can set up and fly a mission with a given aircraft campaign.  The next time I try to use that same aircraft campaign I get the attached null error.  The only work around that I have found is to delete the campaign, set it up again as a new campaign and start all over.  Note that I will load 4 or five missions into the coop mission box at a time and create a private server for the 3 of us.  Not sure if that matters.

Are we ending missions incorrectly or do I have an incorrect setting in the configurations?

This is certainly no big deal, the effort is well worth being able to use this great program, but if anyone has any ideas we can spend more time flying and less typing.

Thanks Patrick for this fantastic piece of work!

Wishing a safe and prosperous 2020 to all of the IL2 community!

Toolman

Darn it, zip didn't work.  Here is error log:

ava.lang.NullPointerException
    at pwcg.gui.rofmap.brief.BriefingDescriptionPanelSet.<init>(BriefingDescriptionPanelSet.java:55)
    at pwcg.gui.rofmap.brief.CoopPersonaChooser.showBriefingMap(CoopPersonaChooser.java:209)
    at pwcg.gui.rofmap.brief.CoopPersonaChooser.actionPerformed(CoopPersonaChooser.java:190)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

PWCGErrorLog.zip

Edited by SgtHulka

23 hours ago, SgtHulka said:

Note that I will load 4 or five missions into the coop mission box at a time and create a private server for the 3 of us.  Not sure if that matters.

This is probably the issue. The missions generated rely on what happened in the mission prior.

For example. if you fly one mission, and an AI pilot dies, PWCG will remove him from the roster, replace him at some point, and he can't be assigned to future missions.

Ideally you would generate one mission, fly it, perform the PWCG AAR step to log that mission, and only then generate a new mission.

Utopioneer,

Thanks for the reply.  It makes sense that the program is waiting for the AAR.  In the earlier versions we could pre-load several missions in the IL2BOS coop server screen and just fly them one after another.  Then the next day just create a new mission in the same campaign, often after one or more player pilots had been killed.

In the 7.4 this seems to cause the error.

No big deal, we can work with this.

Thanks again!

PatrickAWlson

I'm surprised that PWCG would even make multiple missions that way.  The date advances after the AAR.  The mission file name is based on the date.  If you make multiple missions without advancing the date PWCG will just overwrite the mission, not create a new, unique file.

I think he's flying older missions, in addition to the newest generated. So if the newest mission is not his most recent played, the logs are not as expected, and PWCG throws an error on AAR.

@SgtHulka If you don't care about stat tracking, you can try generating a mission, then scrub it and take leave for a day, and generate a new one. Repeat that for however many missions you want to fly that night. Basically never do the AAR step, but generate missions and take leave so they're saved as different days.

Edited by Utopioneer
  • Upvote 1

Patrick,  Utopioneer is correct. We are seriously misusing the program to generate individual missions.   So I will generate a Bf109F4 mission, a Spitfire mission, a Yak mission and send them all to Il2 coop file. Then I open a private server and we fly them one after the other...no AAr process. 

In the older versions I could then go back the next day and do it again. In 7.04 this won’t work.  So if I were to fly the first day missions as we are now, then the next day delete these files from Multiplayer Coop folder, prior to going back to PWCG, moving the date forward and making new missions it might prevent me having to delete then create a new campaign each time we reflect a plane?  Definitely worth a try. 

Thanks for the replies guys!!

toolman

Last night my squadron flew our weekly sortie with PWCG and I have to say this was a super excited mission to say the least. We started out engines hot on the tarmac and as we took off in the south to perform an fighter sweep in the east, we didn't even get the chance to form up. Within minutes after takeoff we got jumped by FW-190D's and a crap ton of ME-262's I believe there were at least 12-14 NME aircraft and it got hot fast. We had 8 pilots to flights of 4 and only two landed back at base the rest were to damaged to make it back so luckily we were so close that we all meet at a local pub had a few pints and exchanged combat stories, then high tailed it back to base. Even though it was a quick mission we all had a blast and no pilot deaths and a loss for the NME of 12 planes. I believe there was 1-2 Me-262's left that high tailed it home....Man once we get cold starts this is going to be really a blast...Just an FYI Pat thanks again mate for all your hard work. You and Vander are keeping things for us exciting to say the least!

PatrickAWlson
On 1/2/2020 at 6:17 PM, SgtHulka said:

Patrick,  Utopioneer is correct. We are seriously misusing the program to generate individual missions.   So I will generate a Bf109F4 mission, a Spitfire mission, a Yak mission and send them all to Il2 coop file. Then I open a private server and we fly them one after the other...no AAr process. 

In the older versions I could then go back the next day and do it again. In 7.04 this won’t work.  So if I were to fly the first day missions as we are now, then the next day delete these files from Multiplayer Coop folder, prior to going back to PWCG, moving the date forward and making new missions it might prevent me having to delete then create a new campaign each time we reflect a plane?  Definitely worth a try. 

Thanks for the replies guys!!

toolman

You can run multiple missions without an AAR as long as each mission is from a different campaign.  Each campaign is self contained.  You cannot run multiple missions on the same campaign without an AAR.

OK Pat

I just wanted to give you a couple of things that happened to our mission last night. We came across NME Bombers for the 1st time in our campaign and our guys ripped them up..but what I wanted to share with you was that bombers didn't return fire on them at all. so I'm not sure if its a bug or something that you need to know. We love your CG a ton buddy but I just want to keep you informed of our happenings in the campaign to keep you abreast of what may by or not by a problem.

Also is there any way to show in the debriefing map of the events as to where they are at in accordance to the dots, in other words one of my pilots was hit by flak and tried to make it back to the friendly lines to bail but unfortunately he was captured and he swears he was on the good side of our line so I'm not sure exactly where though..It would be great to hold the cursor over the dot and it gives me a number according to the event. would that be possible to put into the PWCG...but thanks so much my friend for this great piece of work our squadron is loving it...

Salute!

The Red dots are Im sure are the downed aircraft and the Pink are what? Im assuming pilots..is that correct?

Edited by 361st_Bugsy
  • Upvote 1

PatrickAWlson

Red are destroyed and pink are damaged.  There is currently no icon for a bailout.

As for bombers not returning fire,that is a side effect of a change I made to keep bombers in formation.  I can change it back but my preference is that 1C fixes the AI such that gunners shoot when going to a high priority WP.  There is something in the 1C code that is shutting down ALL aggressive capability if the WP is high priority.  Similarly, the planes will not maintain "bomber like" flight if the WP is not high priority. 

Edited by PatrickAWlson

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Red are destroyed and pink are damaged.  There is currently no icon for a bailout.

As for bombers not returning fire,that is a side effect of a change I made to keep bombers in formation.  I can change it back but my preference is that 1C fixes the AI such that gunners shoot when going to a high priority WP.  There is something in the 1C code that is shutting down ALL aggressive capability if the WP is high priority.  Similarly, the planes will not maintain "bomber like" flight if the WP is not high priority. 

Pat if you change it back then wont the bombers not follow their correct WP's...just curious. Also is there a way to have a number of the the events correspond to the dots this way if a pilots plane goes down we'll be able to tell exactly where that happens?  Thanks

• 1 month later...

hoping to give co - op a go for the first time today, do i need to set up portforwarding for my friends to connect to the mission ?

also how do you set it up so that you start from parked by default ?

PatrickAWlson

PWCG 8.0.0
PWCG 8.0 contains dozens of small improvements.  Here are some of the more important ones:
Added cold start for Bodenplatte
Added new Bodenplatte airfields
Added spotlights for night missions
Improved layout of plane selection to allow for more payload options

Updated WWI ground structures
Fix for planes running away

Improved AAR that carries all details forward to debrief.  
Added recon missions

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

216th_Nocke

You are too fast.

Whenever I overcome my lazyness and decide to post logs and mission where we had problems you provide a new version making that obsolete :)

PatrickAWlson
29 minutes ago, 216th_Nocke said:

You are too fast.

Whenever I overcome my lazyness and decide to post logs and mission where we had problems you provide a new version making that obsolete :)

One of the last things that I did was bring the "Report Error" button up to date.  Hopefully thatmakes it easier - just press the button and post the zip file :) 

Pat,

I've fully enjoyed your campaign generator (version 7.4.0); however, I"m using an earlier version and unfortunately I've misplaced the directions on how to install it. Would you be so kind as to provide me with instructions for installing the latest version or directing me to where the instructions exist?  Thanking you in advance.

4 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Pat,

I've fully enjoyed your campaign generator (version 7.4.0); however, I"m using an earlier version and unfortunately I've misplaced the directions on how to install it. Would you be so kind as to provide me with instructions for installing the latest version or directing me to where the instructions exist?  Thanking you in advance.

I just made an install guide for the Steam version. in this thread: 

PatrickAWlson
6 hours ago, Falcon41 said:

Pat,

basically just unzip it into the main BoS install directory.  It will create a folder called PWCGCampaign.  In the PWCGCampaign directory is an exe file.  it is Java and version 8 requires a 64 bit Java installation.  For starters just try running it.  If you have any problems reinstall Java.

Videos here:

Each video is 2-5 minutes - very short

PatrickAWlson
4 hours ago, [808_BOB]Dafak-man said:

Patt, have anti-shipping missions been fixed as well?

Yes

missionReport(2020-03-25_17-30-22)[205].zip

@PatrickAWlson, can you please take a look at this mission. We should have been flying intercept NW of Slavjanskaya at 6k, but after intercepting a flight of Pe-2 before reaching the area and fighting a flight of Yaks, we were instead patroling SO of Krasnoarmeyskaya at 3.3k, ending in an endless circle over that town. As far as I could see, I was the only one flying to the intercept area at 6k, which is quite odd.

I had an error log at mission creating

PWCGErrorLog.zip

Additionally a question: After a few missions I saw in the Intelligence Report, there were only two enemy fighter squadrons. Does this mean, the other fighter squadrons don't have enough aircrafts and/or pilots to fly anymore? If so, they will be back in duty after refreshment, I guess?

216th_Nocke

We just had two missions as the 363rd fighter group, flying P38s in Sept. 1944, with the new version 8.0.0, - 

and ALL went just perfectly well and was extremely entertaining.

Thank you!

• PatrickAWlson changed the title to PWCG 13.5.0 What do you mean I didn't hit him?