PWCG 13.3.0 Are the new cannons coming soon?

PatrickAWlson

TimSell75

Thanks for you incredible work! ūü•į

Cybermat47

Pat, you madman, what magic will you do next?

• Upvote 1

PatrickAWlson
9 minutes ago, Cybermat47 said:

Pat, you madman, what magic will you do next?

Once the AA trucks were in place adding the tanks was pretty straight forward.  

I would love to do something more extensive with TC, but without any ability to consume terrain information and pretty much zero knowledge of pathing (other than roads I don't think there is any AI pathing in the game) I know that I can't do it well.  At the moment there is a pretty reasonable chance that your truck or tank sinks to the bottom of a river on mission start.  I can live with that for one off fun missions but not for a campaign.

So I'm probably just going to wait for the next plane and, in the meantime, make more use of the iconic battles mechanism to add more history to the campaigns.   @Retnek posted a great suggestion about creating a historical sequence of operations prior to a battle.  I did that with Stalingrad where the Germans transition from bombing the city to attacking barges to the encirclement.  I can extend that to "normal" battles as well.  That would allow the player to feel the change as the battle goes through its phases.  Most, if not all, of the code is written.  I have to identify the battles, the dates, the locations, and configure the sequence.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Piggles

Hi Pat, I just wanted to say thank you for this amazing program. I love that I can write my own narrative for each mission. Imagining how a real RAF WW2 pilot might have experienced combat is like reliving my childhood fantasies all over again!  Have only been playing this sim for 4.5 months now, but I'm having a helluva good time with it.

journal.jpg

Edited by Piggles
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BladeMeister
On 6/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Quick question: If I spent 80 hours of my life coding something like this, would more than three people even notice? :) 

Here is one that has noticed since back in the original ROF PWCG days. Pat, what you have done with ROF PWCG, GBS PWCG, FC PWCG and now TC PWCG is simply incredible. I think you have a lot more people using PWCG in some form or another than you know Sir. There are a lot of people that rarely come on the Forum other than to download something they specifically want and maybe have a quick scan of what the hot topics are at the moment. I cannot even imagine how many hours you have invested in PWCG, but I have to think that your work is keeping many, many of the SP only members of this Community and GBS owners busy and interested with the constantly evolving PWCG. I sadly have not loaded PWCG in a long time simply because of my limited simming time. I used ROF PWCG constantly during ROF's hay days and I need to load up your new version for GBS and make some time to experience it. Hopefully soon as I have PWCG downloaded, cocked and ready. Keep up the good work and remember it is about your satisfaction in creating and evolving PWCG that matters, not how many comments or likes you get. Believe me I know as one  of my projects with another sim didn't receive many comments and there was no likes system for posting on that Forum. I could see overall views and since the time I started the project there have been many more views than I ever imagined in my wildest dreams and that means people were reading it, but what really mattered was that I enjoyed what I was doing even if the feedback was very small so I did what I did and I was proud of my creation and I still appreciate that I did it. Keep up the good work as long as you enjoy it Sir and the rest of us will be Blessed for your contribution to the GBS.:good:

Cheers!

S!Blade<><

Edited by BladeMeister
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 9

TANKS!!! WOOT!!   I love PWCG sooooo much, I finally donated to you!   Keep up the great work, and I'll continue to donate more!

Edited by Vishnu
  • Thanks 1

I just wanted to say THANK YOU! for the addition of the tanks to the iconic missions. I enjoyed the Kerch one. I didn't know what to expect and I got a real surprise when I ran into the tanks. Luckily I was on their rear flank and I could take them out before going down to the beach. 

I hope there is the possibility of a campaign, even if the missions are super simple point-to-point shoot and survive types. I've always wondered what it would like to be on the ground during those ground attack missions where you can really help out your little ai allies by knocking out some tanks. I think there would be a lot of fun in short missions, even if there are occasionally janky ones. About time I donated too!

Another thought: rather than a 'pilot' career like we have for the planes, how about a 'tank model' career. What I mean is you don't play a single character, but the tank model in general. Which would let you simplify the logic of the missions and the impacts of 'failed' missions through either ai related deaths (or river spawning). It would also deal with the fact that a single tank commander isn't in daily sorties. The tank model itself would be though.

Maybe you could even use the process for generating a ground attack mission, but instead of the player being in a plane, they spawn in the appropriate tank in the battle which is normally the target of the ground attack mission. The missions could be based on the current front lines used in the plane career. Even if it's just platoons of tanks in a line driving directly forward, I would think the possible variations in the terrain would make it interesting enough. Particularly if there is not a huge consequence to getting knocked out as a individual pilot.

Edited by Snuh

PatrickAWlson

@Snuh That is what I am doing today.  I am making an aircraft ground attack mission.  It has a battle or similar event associated with it.  Then, after all is done, I erase the player flight and drop in the vehicle you chose.  I do some final work to reduce the area of "stuff"  because you're in a tank and will not be encountering a truck convoy 200km away.  It works well enough.

To get to a campaign is a very, very large number of steps.  The campaign data has to swap out tanks for planes - or include tanks.  The mission generation has to be better.  The mission after action has to take tanks and vehicles into consideration.  PWCG is currently about 150,000 lines of code, all centered around planes.  

Very doable, but also definitely some months of work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I trust that if anybody can do it (outside of the developers themselves eventually) it will be you. :coffee:

Sandmarken
On 6/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, Thad said:

I trust that if anybody can do it (outside of the developers themselves eventually) it will be you. :coffee:

Not sure the devs can even! ūüėÖ the pwcg is just too impressive. ūüėĄ¬†

OG_NickNack68

Hey Pat! Loving the pwcg so far! Great way to career mode. Tried the iconic kerch battle but neither of the Kuban missions show the "generate mission" button. What am I missing? Wanted to drive to the shore like you suggested. Thanks for your fantastic work. I'll be dropping a bone in your donation box!

PatrickAWlson
18 minutes ago, OG_NickNack68 said:

Hey Pat! Loving the pwcg so far! Great way to career mode. Tried the iconic kerch battle but neither of the Kuban missions show the "generate mission" button. What am I missing? Wanted to drive to the shore like you suggested. Thanks for your fantastic work. I'll be dropping a bone in your donation box!

For the iconic mission UI look at the pale yellow bar on the paper.  It says generate Mission.  If you choose a truck it just generates the mission.  There is no capability to do a  setup like there is with planes.

OG_NickNack68

Yes I see the generate mission button on all the other iconic missions except the Kuban missions.

16253582793592821101900140084721.jpg

Here's a different iconic mission. The button doesn't show up on the Kuban missions.

16253583309035654354758121668448.jpg

PatrickAWlson

OK.  Looks like I need a scroll bar.  BTW: don't use Kuban shipping.  it is an anti shipping mission and you will start in the water.  Kuban: Kerch Amphibious is the one that you want.

OG_NickNack68

Thanks Pat! Looking forward to playing them. Happy Independence Day!

Seamus

Sorry if this explained somewhere else but what is the details with the 13.0.0 beta on the pwcg download page?

TheSNAFU
27 minutes ago, Seamus said:

Sorry if this explained somewhere else but what is the details with the 13.0.0 beta on the pwcg download page?

See Pats thread announcing the 13.0 beta. 

• PatrickAWlson changed the title to PWCG 13.0.0 All the News That's Fit To Print
PatrickAWlson

Added Ground Free Hunt mission
- Currently targets trains and trucks
- Fly to a point and search.  No guidance except follow roads or tracks.
- Ground units start moving when mission starts.  
- Will do ships and armor next as they require a different pattern
Improved out of mission victories
- Added ground and structural out of mission victories
- Added ground and structural out of initial victories
- A pilot will get a pseudo mission type based on his squadron configuration.  That mission type will determine the victory type.
Bryansk iconic event added
Newspapers
Rewrote newspapers such that a new paper can be added by supplying a photo and adding a bit of data
- Used to take me 30 minutes to make a paper.  Now it's less than 5.
- They look better too.
- Hoping for community contributions
Newspapers added for all iconic events
FC newspapers converted
Added news rack to view old newspapers
- campaign->activities->news
Made AAR documents prettier
- They retain their dimensions and do not stretch
- Added a folder image under the document
Added Ground Unit Spawn Distance configuration in Mission Limits
Fixed: In several places plaques were referred to as plagues.
- Don't think they were visible to players but it bugged me
Revamped promotions to require a certain number of ground kills for promotion of attack pilots.
Added first page/last page buttons to journal and squadron log
Fixed: Sometimes AAR events were not properly rolled up into the campaign
Fixed: Removed a few defunct configuration settings
Fixed: Preddy's status when killed on 12/25/1944
Fixed: Aces historically killed no longer show as transferred
Fixed: End of war newspaper now appears
Fixed: Unassigned pilot is now the on whose button was pressed and not the radio button selected
Fixed: added heal wounds button on mission page to got directly to leave page to heal.
Fixed: Error that was causing failure if your great ace pilot was killed.

Some notes:

The free hunt is quite a lot of fun.  The convoys are moving, they are usually quite close but not directly beneath you.  Sometimes more than one converges on the same spot.

Behind the scenes in out of mission processing: it used to be fighter missions only.  Now every AI pilot will get a pseudo mission assigned using the same rules as real mission assignment.  If they score a victory it will be reflective of the mission type that they were assigned.  

Promotions are a little harder to come by, especially for Luftwaffe pilots.

Newspapers added and fixed.  Plus a news stand to look at old papers is now available in Campaign->Activities.

I call the iconic event for Moscow "Bryansk".  Of course, Bryansk is not on the map, so I pushed the northern encirclement into the south edge of our map.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Mtnbiker1998

I knew it! I knew as soon as I downloaded the Beta you'd release the full version. Downloaded the Beta yesterday lol.

Trying it out now, Thanks Pat!

Thanks Pat!  It keeps getting better and better!

Varibraun

Hi @PatrickAWlson - Unfortunately, there is something about lucky #13 that wants to kill my pilots.  I know you said this happened with my USAAF pilot when you were checking the Beta and it just happened to my RAF pilot on my first 13.0 mission here. 

I promise that Fg Off Billy Draper landed his Tempest without dying, but the AAR declared him dead (his AC did take a couple of cannon rounds in the tail, but no indication of a wound when that happened, and he then nursed it home).  Error file attached.  Thank you!

Aces over the Rhine202107101307560.zip

PatrickAWlson
6 hours ago, Varibraun said:

Hi @PatrickAWlson - Unfortunately, there is something about lucky #13 that wants to kill my pilots.  I know you said this happened with my USAAF pilot when you were checking the Beta and it just happened to my RAF pilot on my first 13.0 mission here. 

I promise that Fg Off Billy Draper landed his Tempest without dying, but the AAR declared him dead (his AC did take a couple of cannon rounds in the tail, but no indication of a wound when that happened, and he then nursed it home).  Error file attached.  Thank you!

Aces over the Rhine202107101307560.zip 1.77 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for posting.  I have a fix.  Will post once testing is done - should be tonight.

• Thanks 1

• PatrickAWlson changed the title to PWCG 13.0.1 I'm Not Dead yet
Highwayman

Hey Pat,

Had an issue with a new campaign generated in 13.0 with Me262's.

This first mission was an airfield attack, but upon spawning on the runway ready for our take off, our first waypoint marker was showing on the Target Egress.

262 Mission.zip

PWCGErrorLog.txt

262202107111107169.zip

Edited by Highwayman
  • Thanks 1

PatrickAWlson

Fixed Inadvertently killing off player pilots once they get good.

For those who I have inadvertently dispatched, you can return from the beyond:

Campaign->Personnel->Administer Pilot

Select the pilot who was unfairly marked for death and press "Activate Pilot". He will return from his hiatus in the underworld.

@Varibraun The logs confirm that your pilot was a victim of said bug.  The logs indicate the he was unhurt.  Feel free to use the above revival method.  It is perfectly legit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Varibraun
12 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Select the pilot who was unfairly marked for death and press "Activate Pilot". He will return from his hiatus in the underworld.

@Varibraun The logs confirm that your pilot was a victim of said bug.  The logs indicate the he was unhurt.  Feel free to use the above revival method.  It is perfectly legit.

Thank you Pat - Great patch Title for this one!

After a long jeep ride back from the forward airfield where he put down his damaged Tempest, Fg Off Draper was more than a little perturbed when he walked back into the ready room to find he had already been removed from the squadron rolls.  He proclaimed, "I'm NOT dead Yet!" and then went to kick the new guy out of his cot!

• Haha 5

kaizerhund4

iconic missions slide bar fixed yet? rhein missions and kuban does not show generate mission bar....is there one? tried different screen resolution, still no bar

PatrickAWlson
20 hours ago, kaizerhund4 said:

iconic missions slide bar fixed yet? rhein missions and kuban does not show generate mission bar....is there one? tried different screen resolution, still no bar

I moved the button to the upper left. 

On 6/28/2021 at 8:22 AM, PatrickAWlson said:

PWCG is currently about 150,000 lines of code, all centered around planes.  

Very doable, but also definitely some months of work.

Naw, I'm quite sure 150,000 lines of code is only a weekend of effort for you Pat.¬†¬†ūüßź

PatrickAWlson
23 minutes ago, Thad said:

Naw, I'm quite sure 150,000 lines of code is only a weekend of effort for you Pat.¬†¬†ūüßź

If it was I would be independently wealthy.  With more money than I know what to do with I would become the designated 1C sugar daddy.  I would fund double the staff and produce content regardless of profit or loss, all from the comfort of whatever interesting location I would happen to be in at the moment.  

Oh well, it was a nice thought.  Now back to our regularly scheduled life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

kaizerhund4

i do not see the button on left, im using ur latest 13.1 version...can u send a pic pointing out where?

PatrickAWlson
49 minutes ago, kaizerhund4 said:

i do not see the button on left, im using ur latest 13.1 version...can u send a pic pointing out where?

it's in 13.0.2 ... not yet available

kaizerhund4

ok

• PatrickAWlson changed the title to PWCG 13.0.2 I like to watch them burn
PatrickAWlson
Posted (edited)

Added Player Pilot chalk board option to see only human pilots (alive and dead)
Added config option not to delete planes and vehicles after death
- Main Menu->Configuration->User Preferences set delete after death to 0 (zero)
- The config is global so will apply to all campaigns
Fixed Moved target final WP closer to target to ensure attack area triggering

Fixed iconic mission button not visible on smaller screens

Small changes.

The do not delete on death option was a request.  Please note that there may be some performance penalty associated with keeping the destroyed vehicles in the mission, but hopefully not very much.  

The player chalk board shows you human players in the campaign, alive and no longer active.  

The fix is a guess.  I explained what I had done earlier.  If there remains a tendency to stick at the target approach WP please let me know.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

blue_max

Hey Pat, I'm really appreciating your continued work! Question: over at Vander's easy mission generator, he has been integrating new scenery work by a community member, for the Rhineland map. It's really cool, and it would be really nice if that would become available in PWCG as well :-D

Cheers

Varibraun
11 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Added config option not to delete planes and vehicles after death

Hi Pat - Just being sure I understand.  This is a feature for Coop that will now allow downed human pilots/drivers to stay in the mission to follow their colleagues until the mission ends? 

Hetzer-JG51
48 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

Hi Pat - Just being sure I understand.  This is a feature for Coop that will now allow downed human pilots/drivers to stay in the mission to follow their colleagues until the mission ends? 

That spectate CF is something written into the game code, I think to prevent cheating. Pat's input is to stop AI objects de-spawning off the screen when their AI crew die. It was an immersion hurty (AI planes vanishing before they'd hit the deck). Lol.

Thank you Pat. :)

Edited by Hetzer-JG51
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

JG1_Jaus
14 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Added Player Pilot chalk board option to see only human pilots (alive and dead)

The player chalk board shows you human players in the campaign, alive and no longer active.  

Thanks, Pat.  Would it be difficult to add a 'live only' selection?     My list of pilots doesn't fit on the screen and is cluttered with dead and retired pilots.

• Upvote 2

• PatrickAWlson changed the title to PWCG 13.0.3 The target is over there!
grcurmudgeon

That fix worked like a champ - airbase attack, and the target waypoint popped up right on time...

HofVanStrudel

Thank you Pat for adding that feature! (Despawning after death)

Edited by HofVanStrudel
  • Upvote 1

• PatrickAWlson changed the title to PWCG 13.3.0 Are the new cannons coming soon?