PWCG 13.2.0 Trimming trees is fun

PatrickAWlson

It's published.  It's about 100 hours of work to put the data into computer usable form, write software to handle unlocks vs normal payloads, deal with the variations between weapons mod designations and payload designations, and then wrap it all up in a coherent user interface that will allow the player to select any possible combination of payload and weapons mod.  It would be nice to have, however, given that the player can already change his plane's load in the hangar it's tough to justify the effort.

The weapons mod/payload split combined with the unlock system presents non trivial issues.  Instead of a simple identifying number (payload) we have a combination of payload identifier and weapons mod bit mask.  Ideally they would be completely independent - bombs and rockets would all be payload and field modifications would all be designated by weapons mod.  It does not work that way.  Selecting a weapons mod actually alters the payload so they are not independent.   Then there is the issue of unlocks - I can just imagine the complaints about "PWCG is broken.  I selected this and it doesn't work" when in fact the player selected a locked mod.   

It's possible, but the level of effort, difficulty in implementation, and relatively limited value (like I said, you can change your plane in the hangar) make this one a nice to have.

Fully agreed Patrick, seems like a lot of wasted energy, which can be directed for improvement and development of other features, keep up the good work! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your fantastic job.

After this updating I have a problem. I can not fligh F4 and G2. All squadrons in my Company fligh F2. I am not an owner of F2 yet.

Is this my mesunderstanding or I really should own F2 to continue my carrier in the PWCG.

Thank you.

Zami, now is okay. Previous victories are lost but no problem   

You could just take a leave of a few months on the already started campaign, if the stats were a concern.   ;)

You could just take a leave of a few months on the already started campaign, if the stats were a concern.  

Good idea. Thank you.

THANKYOU very much for this- just what i`ve been looking for. Also real nice to be able to put my name in the game!

Edited by seafireliv

Pat, any ETA when we will be able to use the ju88 with the PWCG (ver 1.2.2  perhaps) ?

And on the most salient new features you're going to implement in the next version? :cool:

Edited by Picchio

I can and want to help with the setting up of the program and search for bugs or adding innovations,if not,write to the pm(sorry for bad english )

• 5 weeks later...
Eagle40Bamba123

Number one, Thank You this is a terrific piece of software.  Now the question, been flying missions for the Bf109 F4.  On some of the missions the planes are at the end of the runway but facing the wrong direction and being last in line the flight takes off over rough ground and in these cases the flight leader crashes everyone else gets off the ground and endless circle.  No waypoint markers and the mission is in limbo.  It works fine most the time but out of 8 missions 2 have had this result.  Did I make a mistake during installation?  Again great piece of work, I love it thanks!

PatrickAWlson

There is at least one airfield (Kumovko) with this issue.  I have to fix it.  If you see this on another field please report which field.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

4 questions. I got IL2 BoS and BoM and I have the beta3 version of PWCG installed. Anything I have to deinstall before I install version 1.2.1 of the campaign generator ? How is it done, there is no readme with it ?

And does this new campaign generator cover both scenarios Moscow and Stalingrad ?

And not to forget, my game is registered under steam, is that of any relevance ?

Edited by Geralt

PatrickAWlson

Nothing to uninstall.  PWCG is standalone

Make sure your Java is up to date

Installation instructions: unzip into your main BoS directory.  That's all.  A PwcgCampaign directory will be created.  The executable is PWCGBos.exe

PWCG currently covers Stalingrad only.

Steam vs. online store doesn't matter

Hello Patrick,

thanks for your reply  :salute:

I appreciate that someone cares about a real campaign for the sim.

I will install it as soon as both scenarios, BoS and BoM will be covered.

=CFC=Conky

Hello all,

I'm having a bit of a problem. I have installed the program and am running Java ver 8 (Win7 64bit). I can generate a campaign and missions but when I try to start them I get kicked back to the Main Menu/Missions screen. It's probably finger trouble at my end :P , any ideas?

Thanks!

=CFC=Conky

Hi Pat,

Took a while for me to get back to this, all appears to be working now. I ended up changing my pilot's name and that fixed it.

Thanks again for all your help.

=CFC=Conky

PatrickAWlson

BoS and RoF are both very particular about character sets.  PWCG generates English language missions.  If you put non-English characters into a .eng file RoF/BoS gets upset and quits.  I can't tell you how often this has bitten but it numbers in the dozens of occurrences.

• 1 month later...

Have just installed a working version of  the newest 1.0 version, but its a mystery on how I can start a campaign on the Moscow map.I can't seem to get it to be a choice.What have I done wrong? :unsure:

Hi Blitzen, there is a new thread `PWCG Unified Release1.0 Available`, this one is not actual anymore.

To your question, the moscow map is not yet introduced, so you have to fly at Stalingrad for the moment.

Edited by Yogiflight

Hi Blitzen, there is a new thread `PWCG Unified Release1.0 Available`, this one is not actual anymore.

To your question, the moscow map is not yet introduced, so you have to fly at Stalingrad for the moment.

Thanks ...You saved me a bit of worry & will now go to the thread you suggested. :salute:

• 4 months later...

Another short question: when the newest version is installed does the first  main menu screen still show Version1.0? I installed 1.2.1 sometime ago but still that screen indicated V.1.0...I'm just saying... :salute:

Edited by Blitzen

Hi Blitzen, it always shows the new version. Did you overwrite all files, when unzipping the new version? BTW, the current version is 2.1.1

Hi Blitzen, it always shows the new version. Did you overwrite all files, when unzipping the new version? BTW, the current version is 2.1.1

Will try again , but yes I believe I did overwrite old files...stay tuned... :salute:

Re-tried:All is well.Thanks! :salute:  ;)

Edited by Blitzen

• 2 months later...
=TBAS=Sshadow14

im a little lost as to what this is?

So Campaign generator for single player only?
Can you make co-op missions or multiplayer stuff..

I never even touched the single player or campaign yet
so whats the advantage over multiplayer?

im a little lost as to what this is?

So Campaign generator for single player only?

Can you make co-op missions or multiplayer stuff..

I never even touched the single player or

campaign yet

so whats the advantage over multiplayer?

It's a single player campaign generator. No Coop or MP afaik.

It's advantage is that you can fly through BoM/Bos battles as a career mode with a certain plane, pilot and unit whenever you have time. Generator makes missions for you to fly and so your career advances.

I recommend you to give it a try if interested.

PatrickAWlson

OK, just realized after ... how long? ... that there is a sticky thread for releases.

PWCG 7.2.0

Added WWI Vehicles to FC
Added balloons, balloon bust and balloon defense missions to FC
Added Seasons to the Rhein map
Added Shermans for Americans, British , and Russians

Note to FC users: you MUST Delete your current install!  You can save campaigns to a zip and then restore them, they will work.

• Thanks 4

Is anyone else have a problem with friends get a failure to write to disc error when attempting to Jon a server? I suspect it maybe with the new way missions are being generated. I will disable the new option and test it out again later.

30 minutes ago, HR_Tofolo said:

It's because of the .list file, which is 0kb. We kinda sorted it out by manually editing the file.

What edits did you need to make?

@PatrickAWlson

So it looks like the new Binary Missions are not allowing other players to join a server. Players trying to join are getting an unable to write to disk error. If you revert to the old way of mission generation the player can join again. It appears to be related to the 0kb .list file mentioned by @HR_Tofolo above.

For others that are having this issue you can  revert to the old way of mission generation under user configuration, as noted in the patch notes

PWCG will now create msbin (binary mission) files, allowing for much faster load.
- Be aware that these files take up to 3 minutes to create.
- Occurs upon accepting a mission
- Can be disabled through Main->Configuration->User Preferences and then set create binary file to 0 (zero)

17 hours ago, Hartsblade said:

What edits did you need to make?

There is an example coop mission in the coop folder, open the .list file with notepad and check the content. Then edit your PWCG coop .list file with the same structure (changing the name of course) and that sould do.

12 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@HR_Tofolo Never had to deal with the .list file.  What are the expected contents?

AFAIK that file points to the language dependant briefings and the mission folder structure, but i ain't no ME expert. 

Let me take this opportunity to thank you @PatrickAWlson for your work since RoF with your campaign generator.

• PatrickAWlson changed the title to PWCG 13.2.0 Trimming trees is fun