PWCG 13.1.0 The string bags are coming!

PatrickAWlson

PatrickAWlson

An American

American.jpg

On 11/14/2020 at 8:56 PM, ual002 said:

Do you have photoshop (know how to use it)?  I can give you the .psd file and let you play around with what I have.  Its all just layers.

Been posting work to date here.  The images are being rendered and the idea of scaling by making all of the layers the same as the image size is working well.  Any chance of an RAF and USSR uniforms?  I can help with  the medals and faces but the uniforms are way beyond my skill level.

• Upvote 1

On 11/13/2020 at 5:03 PM, ual002 said:

Found PWCG for both BOx and FC and have been playing non stop in VR the last 2 days.  I turned on the Taxi to runway option and am just blown away by how much this adds to the sim.
The UI itself is a little clunky, but its very clear most of the work is spent in the under the hood stuff.  With that being said, I am wondering if FC will get the same option in the configuration for Taxi to the runway?  Not sure if this has been addressed yet.

Again, this is some fantastic work.  I absolutely can not play this game without PWCG.  

Pat, I have a side project for a sort of paper doll pilot portrait.  Its a layered PSD file with an immense amount of custom drawn art modified from an original source.  I have some examples I can provide if you are interested.  It includes a pilot face, uniform and rank and decorations.  It might be a mountain of work, but it might be fun to add.  So far I have Luftwaffe and American pilot uniforms done as it relates to aviation.  Soviet and Commonwealth stuff was outside of my wheelhouse but not out of the question.

:good:

Nice to see others that enjoy that taxi to runway option like I do!

Going with the expanded pilot info, if it's at all possible our little flying group have mentioned that it would be great to see...

Combat flight hours

Combat assists (this may well be tricky, especially if the pilots name has an e ;) )

Airframes lost (by the pilot themselves)

Well, I'm glad its working.

I've had some time to add about 6 random faces so far.  Then I went down a rabbit hole of updating Krieg Tropical uniform shoulder boards.  But I can send that stuff, whenever, and if I'm missing anything please let me know and I can look into acquiring/making it  (beside the Russian and British stuff just yet).  Russian will probably be first since I have some examples.

As a side note, I think the Russian Ceremonial uniform post 43 will be where I start, might need to be a stand in for the whole war until I manage the earlier ceremonial.  I assume the field uniform may not have all the decorations that the ceremonial would but that is a wild guess, therefore making the ceremonial my priority.

Any additional Pre and Post 43 Russian ceremonial uniform and decor references would be great.  Also a basic overview of the devices on the uniform and their purpose would be a great way to help me order and group layers.  Names of this stuff are helpful so I can utilize my google-fu.

I'm also open to doing WWI era stuff eventually, but I have a feeling that is opening up a huge variation rich can of worms.

Edited by ual002

PatrickAWlson
16 minutes ago, ual002 said:

Well, I'm glad its working.

I've had some time to add about 6 random faces so far.  Then I went down a rabbit hole of updating Krieg Tropical uniform shoulder boards.  But I can send that stuff, whenever, and if I'm missing anything please let me know and I can look into acquiring/making it  (beside the Russian and British stuff just yet).  Russian will probably be first since I have some examples.

As a side note, I think the Russian Ceremonial uniform post 43 will be where I start, might need to be a stand in for the whole war until I manage the earlier ceremonial.  I assume the field uniform may not have all the decorations that the ceremonial would but that is a wild guess, therefore making the ceremonial my priority.

Any additional Pre and Post 43 Russian ceremonial uniform and decor references would be great.  Also a basic overview of the devices on the uniform and their purpose would be a great way to help me order and group layers.

I'm also open to doing WWI era stuff eventually, but I have a feeling that is opening up a huge variation rich can of worms.

Honestly not getting that complicated right now.  One Russian, one British uniform and we're good for release 1.  If you can get to Italy one day that will be nice.  Same with WW1.  Not every possible uniform needs to be there.  Just 1 per service.  

I will code PWCG to not rely on the existence of a paper doll.  If there is none then just the medal box will display.  That will allow us to release incrementally and not need every little thing in place before we have a feature that people can use and enjoy.

Ok Russian experts,

Here is the rough start of the Russian 43 ceremonial tunic.

Looking for color tone opinion before I commit and go further.  

(Pat, don't forget the American guy has ranks too.)
(And you can move the Iron Cross second class to the button and use the fake button layer to partially obscure it.)

image.thumb.png.84182e727b5d54bc096501af1d0bd90b.png
image.png.5689a4678932f6c96be0688d447f2090.png

Edited by ual002
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The premise works as I had hoped.  As long as every layer is the same size they will overlay and resize properly in the UI.  Examples below.  One with medals and one without.  

WithMedals.png

WithoutMedals.png

Pat,

Any plans to add this going forward?

58 минут назад, ual002 сказал:

Any additional Pre and Post 43 Russian ceremonial uniform and decor references would be great.

image.png.9702d4eae13a122feab6d27a0b95d35b.png

image.png.3e61d5856a4f7a81ee05148a7a753386.png

image.png.74b78c90a77cb0468c690b53b479d260.png

The cap in the last photo is rather an exception. They often wore a garrison cap.

Scratch that last comment Pat, that black Luft uniform didn't have the button, they didn't use the ribbon loop in the button hole,  they used the ribbon bar for the Iron Cross 2nd class I think.  Which I have modeled in the layers.

And I could be wrong but I thought the wound badges were only displayed single badge with highest achieved. It might be a good idea to consider keeping your decorations box, and having the image be just a supplement, just to show how things would be displayed.  Given enough random heads, it could replace your pilot photos.  But I know those were probably a precious collection.

Edited by ual002

PatrickAWlson
14 minutes ago, Atlantia39 said:

Pat,

Any plans to add this going forward?

German and American is already in and good enough for round 1.  I see that @ual002 has a pretty nice initial cut at a Russian uniform going.  I will try to release whatever I have this coming weekend.  

@ual002 I will expand on things as time goes on.  I purposely excluded ranks for now but they can be added later.  First cut for me is medals awarded.  Ranks are a good second.  Swappable faces is a good third.  Maybe swappable caps as a good fourth.  

UPDATE:
image.thumb.png.4f6dfc49501bd79817edddf5828f7b6c.png

21 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

German and American is already in and good enough for round 1.  I see that @ual002 has a pretty nice initial cut at a Russian uniform going.  I will try to release whatever I have this coming weekend.  

@ual002 I will expand on things as time goes on.  I purposely excluded ranks for now but they can be added later.  First cut for me is medals awarded.  Ranks are a good second.  Swappable faces is a good third.  Maybe swappable caps as a good fourth.  

Sounds like a solid plan

I need to know the significance of these collar things.  In photos I find online of Russian pilots and aces, junior officers don't seem to have them like in the example @Kur12 provided.

Is it an issue of junior officers vs senior or typical Russian supply problems?

image.png.3b7b84c355e16425c99e50d799ed32e7.png

Below is the reference image @Kur12 provided.  It appears to be an OF-1 Senior Lt.

image.png.4bc37a22b0cceadba3090c70479b77ef.png

Below in this historic photo, note lack of those collar devices, but also the uniform looks similar but has breast pockets.  Unsure what that's about?  More supply and variation issues?

image.png.629e4a47b52a56bbc5d0167c6d0946ef.png

Edited by ual002

42 минуты назад, ual002 сказал:

It appears to be an OF-1 Senior Lt.

This is the colonel - two stripes and 3 large stars. There is no such high rank in the game.

42 минуты назад, ual002 сказал:

Below in this historic photo, note lack of those collar devices, but also the uniform looks similar but has breast pockets.

Collar decorations and blue piping on the uniform were introduced for the Victory Day Parade in 1945.

Just now, Kur12 said:

This is the colonel - two stripes and 3 large stars. There is no such high rank in the game.

Collar decorations and blue piping on the uniform were introduced for the Victory Day Parade in 1945.

Ok, I see the stripes now on the shoulder board.

Good to know the blue piping wasn't during the war, I can hide that layer for now along with the collar device and figure out the intricacies of the collar devices later. That leaves the devices on the Cuff as well, are those victory day additions, or did they exist prior, and do they only exist for certain ranks?

21 минуту назад, ual002 сказал:

That leaves the devices on the Cuff as well, are those victory day additions, or did they exist prior, and do they only exist for certain ranks?

There was definitely no edging on the sleeve (here is a frame from an old Soviet film, there is not a pilot, but he has a ceremonial uniform).

image.png.65a3008995d5c5185eafe687e2567149.png

The collar is fastened not with buttons, but with a crochet hook.

Ok, lost the piping, collar device, and cuff devices, saved as hidden layers.  Have Jr. Lt, Lt., and Sr. Lt. ranks done, and added some potential pockets as a layer because I see a lot of that in photos.

image.thumb.png.4925608be45fb2c2889f9e826f42b919.png

PatrickAWlson

@Kur12 I do want to temper expectations just a bit.  Using the current algorithm each medal has one and only one place.  That means that the Soviet decorations might not be exactly where they should be.  I can order them left to right assuming all have been won, but the lowest order medals will always be on the same spot on the uniform.  

3 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@Kur12 I do want to temper expectations just a bit.  Using the current algorithm each medal has one and only one place.  That means that the Soviet decorations might not be exactly where they should be.  I can order them left to right assuming all have been won, but the lowest order medals will always be on the same spot on the uniform.  

Gotta build off something.  Literally how I started all this.  I had 20 original images and many of them had very little uniform variation.  All German or American.  Many awards and decoration between them were the same and very limited.

I also just added some collar stitching I noticed on the plain collars.

image.png.ffd68f8988f3564ee7e52f7611a6e601.pngimage.png.8fcff15e2b12e0bc1bc261648342be54.png

Ok, still need medals, awards and badge info.

15 минут назад, PatrickAWlson сказал:

Using the current algorithm each medal has one and only one place.  That means that the Soviet decorations might not be exactly where they should be.  I can order them left to right assuming all have been won, but the lowest order medals will always be on the same spot on the uniform. 

Patrick, I don't know what rewards are provided in the game (I could never earn all of them, I was killed before).
Place them all according to the order I described earlier, and have each award have its own assigned place.

PatrickAWlson

USSR Medal definitions in PWCG:

medals.put(PILOTS_BADGE, new Medal ("Pilots Badge",                                   "ussr_pilot_badge.png"));
        medals.put(WOUND_STRIPE, new Medal ("Wound Stripe",                                   "ussr_wound_stripe.png"));

medals.put(ORDER_RED_STAR, new Medal ("Order of the Red Star",                        "ussr_order_red_star.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_OF_GLORY, new Medal ("Order of Glory",                               "ussr_order_of_glory.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_PATRIOTIC_WAR_2, new Medal ("Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class",  "ussr_order_patriotic_war_2nd_class.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_PATRIOTIC_WAR_1, new Medal ("Order of the Patriotic War 1st Class",  "ussr_order_patriotic_war_1st_class.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_RED_BANNER, new Medal ("Order of the Red Banner",                    "ussr_order_red_banner.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_ALEXANDER_NEVSKY, new Medal ("Order of Alexander Nevsky",            "ussr_order_alexander_nevsky.png"));
        medals.put(HERO_SOVIET_UNION, new Medal ("Hero of the Soviet Union",                  "ussr_hero_of_the_soviet_union.png"));

All medal images are available in your PWCG install.  PWCGBoS\BoSData\Images\Medals\Allied

These are already PNGs and should be directly usable by simply pasting as a layer, resizing and positioning.

The order above is already sequenced from least to most significant.

Just looked at the "Order of Alexander Nevsky".  Not sure what I was doing with that one.  I have 100 victories as a requirement to get it.  Guessing it is something that was there but no Soviet pilot actually got it.  

Edited by PatrickAWlson

16 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

USSR Medal definitions in PWCG:

medals.put(PILOTS_BADGE, new Medal ("Pilots Badge",                                   "ussr_pilot_badge.png"));
        medals.put(WOUND_STRIPE, new Medal ("Wound Stripe",                                   "ussr_wound_stripe.png"));

medals.put(ORDER_RED_STAR, new Medal ("Order of the Red Star",                        "ussr_order_red_star.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_OF_GLORY, new Medal ("Order of Glory",                               "ussr_order_of_glory.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_PATRIOTIC_WAR_2, new Medal ("Order of the Patriotic War 2nd Class",  "ussr_order_patriotic_war_2nd_class.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_PATRIOTIC_WAR_1, new Medal ("Order of the Patriotic War 1st Class",  "ussr_order_patriotic_war_1st_class.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_RED_BANNER, new Medal ("Order of the Red Banner",                    "ussr_order_red_banner.png"));
        medals.put(ORDER_ALEXANDER_NEVSKY, new Medal ("Order of Alexander Nevsky",            "ussr_order_alexander_nevsky.png"));
        medals.put(HERO_SOVIET_UNION, new Medal ("Hero of the Soviet Union",                  "ussr_hero_of_the_soviet_union.png"));

All medal images are available in your PWCG install.  PWCGBoS\BoSData\Images\Medals\Allied

These are already PNGs and should be directly usable by simply pasting as a layer, resizing and positioning.

The order above is already sequenced from least to most significant.

Just looked at the "Order of Alexander Nevsky".  Not sure what I was doing with that one.  I have 100 victories as a requirement to get it.  Guessing it is something that was there but no Soviet pilot actually got it.  

Awesome, if you have any input on placement @Kur12, I'm all ears.
image.thumb.png.cac2c12fc6c15ae9977527d8d0a199f1.png

Wound stripes were worn only on field uniforms, they were not worn on ceremonial uniforms.
Until 1943, the pilot's badge was sewn on the left sleeve of his tunic (only for officers, sergeants did not wear it), and after 1943, small wings were on shoulder straps, so it is also not needed.
Of the existing orders and medals:
On the left side of the chest above all - the Hero of the Soviet Union.
Below in a row (from left to right) - Order of the Red Banner, Order of Glory, Order of Alexander Nevsky
On the right side of the chest (from left to right) - Order of the Patriotic War of the 1st degree, then the Order of the Patriotic War of the 2nd degree, Order of the Red Star.

Note:
The Order of Alexander Nevsky of this type was awarded until 1943. After 1943, its appearance changed.

Edited by Kur12
  • Thanks 1

Error check time.  

Wound stripes not included, No wings as they are on the shoulder board.  The pre 1943 The Order of Alexander Nevsky I think is shown, however I think this is going to be a post 43 representation.

image.thumb.png.b7071415d7856c680d761d61e4be1676.png

Pat, at least for the American uniform, if there are any unit patches that could be dynamically placed on the sleeve please send them my way, I can edit them appropriately.

Edited by ual002
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Will that is truly good news!  A little eye-candy isn't a bad thing...

I'll keep an eye on your page for new revisions to drop.

Update, I previously had Leutnant thru Haptman ranks for the luft uniform, but I managed to finish the collar and shoulder devices for Major thru Oberst.

image.png

Everything including the detail in the collar piping change from NCO to Officer is considered.  Below is a Oberfähnrich
image.png.ad353a2d3a8718e348cd689fcdc7bf81.png

7 часов назад, ual002 сказал:

image.thumb.png.b7071415d7856c680d761d61e4be1676.png

The order of the awards must be changed from left to right.

And both the cockade and the emblem on the cap must be metal.

image.png.8c4fdf6c84a6129c834ad51d3a63a822.png

image.png.a8b6070466c7dfced115732551635709.png

image.png.909a2824590c6ff0b6e76ff6aedb2e4c.png

The watch was on a leather strap - black or brown.

Edited by Kur12

Out of curiosity, why no metal thread cloth on cover?

The watch is shared by all the characters at the moment I haven't changed it.

Both left and right side of the uniform, change the order of the awards, got it.

19 минут назад, ual002 сказал:

Out of curiosity, why no metal thread cloth on cover?

The emblems were made of aluminum. Perhaps it was easier that way.

Medal order changed.  Need to know all possible ranks for Russians in PWCG, preliminary cap devices done in metal.  Watch not touched yet.

image.thumb.png.08c9fc03997b212e354a85f6c070a729.png

Gonna start on an RAF tunic so all references would be great.

Pat, with battle of Normandy coming, were you planning to adapt the map to a Battle of Britain campaign with as close as we can get with the available aircraft?

PatrickAWlson
20 minutes ago, ual002 said:

Medal order changed.  Need to know all possible ranks for Russians in PWCG, preliminary cap devices done in metal.  Watch not touched yet.

image.thumb.png.08c9fc03997b212e354a85f6c070a729.png

Gonna start on an RAF tunic so all references would be great.

Pat, with battle of Normandy coming, were you planning to adapt the map to a Battle of Britain campaign with as close as we can get with the available aircraft?

BoB is too early - as you note we do not have the planes.  I will do channel operations as far back as feasible.

Can you post the Russian paper doll?  I will put it in.

1 час назад, ual002 сказал:

Need to know all possible ranks for Russians in PWCG

Ranks of Soviet pilots:
1. Major
2. Captain
3. Senior lieutenant
4. Lieutenant
5. Or a junior lieutenant or a sergeant. Some schools graduated junior lieutenants, some - sergeants. A junior lieutenant is easier to do. But this must be coordinated with Patrick. He then everywhere in the game will have to change the sergeant to the junior lieutenant.

Edited by Kur12

I don't mind delving into the possible uniform detail changes going down to NCO for the Russian , it helps me learn and identify what's what.  But I set that aside for the time being since rank is not a priority for him at the moment.

image.png.900b0b236b1e32108c16b17506584083.png

Here is some RAF progress.

PatrickAWlson

First order of business is a paper doll figure for each service and appropriate medals displayed.  If I can manage ranks by this weekend I will.  

@ual002 After doing the core uniforms and medals please feel free to do ranks or anything else that you wish.  if the uniform has to change that can be handled too without much difficulty.  No problems if you work ahead of me.  I will add code to support new  things as they come.  So the first release might have non coms in an officers uniform.  It may have to do for a little while.  PWCG code and release probably won't lag behind more than a week or so.

Also, Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana uniform resources are scant on the web.  Does anyone have any decent photos of fighter pilots in their dress uniform?

PatrickAWlson

File:Adriano Visconti Uniforme.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Adriano Visconti, Unforgotten Hero Adriano Visconti - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Black and white but they show some detail

Good color pic of the cap

r/wwiipics - Two fighter pilots of the Regia Aeronautica

This one shows placement of award ribbons

Guido Fibbia - Wikipedia

Ranks:

Wiki has drawings of the ranks.  per the first picture posted it looks like they were worn on the bottom of the sleeve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Air_Force

Edited by PatrickAWlson

PatrickAWlson

RussiaMedals.thumb.jpg.a0d80037ba417ef45bc162a46f888699.jpg

British Medals in PWCG:

medals.put(PILOTS_BADGE, new Medal("Pilots Badge", "gb_pilots_badge.png"));
        medals.put(DFC, new Medal("Distinguished Flying Cross", "gb_distinguished_flying_cross.png"));
        medals.put(DFC_BAR_1, new Medal("Distinguished Flying Cross With Bar", "gb_distinguished_flying_cross_bar.png"));
        medals.put(DFC_BAR_2, new Medal("Distinguished Flying Cross With 2 Bars", "gb_distinguished_flying_cross_2_bars.png"));
        medals.put(DSO, new Medal("Distinguished Service Order", "gb_distinguished_service_order.png"));
        medals.put(DSO_BAR, new Medal("Distinguished Service Order With Bar", "gb_distinguished_service_order_bar.png"));
        medals.put(VC, new Medal("Victoria Cross", "gb_victoria_cross.png"));

medals.put(WOUND_STRIPE, new Medal("Wound Stripe", "gb_wound_chevron.png"));

I take it the British also did ribbons?

• PatrickAWlson changed the title to PWCG 13.1.0 The string bags are coming!