PatrickAWlson

PWCG 10.3.4 Skins For FC!

4 minutes ago, I/KG1_Chattytumbler said:

I'm probably being dim but what parameters do I need to use to start a Tempest campaign?

Start a new campaign. 

Choose the RAF. 

Bodenplatte is the only map possible.

Any date is fine

Choose a tempest squadron

- As you select a squadron, information about that unit (including what it flies) is displayed below

- I know that 56th squadron is a Tempest unit

Finish data entry and press create campaign

Fly

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Start a new campaign. 

Choose the RAF. 

Bodenplatte is the only map possible.

Any date is fine

Choose a tempest squadron

- As you select a squadron, information about that unit (including what it flies) is displayed below

- I know that 56th squadron is a Tempest unit

Finish data entry and press create campaign

Fly

Ah it's down as a fighter. Trying to use it as a ground attacker but it keeps generating air patrol/intercept type missions.

11 hours ago, I/KG1_Chattytumbler said:

Ah it's down as a fighter. Trying to use it as a ground attacker but it keeps generating air patrol/intercept type missions.

It will generate both. Because the LW was largely defeated by that time allied fighter units in Bodenplatte will generate something like 30 % (P51) to 50% (some P47 units) ground attack.  I think the Tempest units are 60/40 air/ground while the Spitfire units are 70/30.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, II./JG1_Kliegmann said:

After creating a Coop campaign, I am unable to transfer or retire pilots?

Neither can I.

9 hours ago, 216th_Nocke said:

Neither can I.

Got to that tonight.  Next release (probably Saturday)

• Thanks 1

Adjusted replacement rate to fix depletion on Bodenplatte
Fixed coop transfer and retire pilot
Fixed overwrite on leave with multiple pilots

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Downloaded 10.2.1 but got an unexpected end of archive error. When opening the zip file. 

Yes, it needs a repack as 7-zip is showing the error over here as well.

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Fixed coop transfer and retire pilot
Fixed overwrite on leave with multiple pilots

Thank you!!

Hello Everyine, Hello Pat, 

Sorry for the silly question but with last version I cannot find anymore the button to "accept" a mission.... I have only the "scrub mission" or "Brifieng Map" button.... Am I missing something... First time I encounter this problem... 

Thanks!!!

HammerCed just cycle through the steps: Briefing Map -> Waypoint Editor -> Pilot Selection -> Accept Mission

6 hours ago, HammerCed said:

Hello Everyine, Hello Pat, 

Sorry for the silly question but with last version I cannot find anymore the button to "accept" a mission.... I have only the "scrub mission" or "Brifieng Map" button.... Am I missing something... First time I encounter this problem... 

Thanks!!!

The briefing process is now a four part process.  First you are presented with the mission description on a chalk board.  next you have the map where you can move, add, and delete waypoints.  Third screen is the waypoint editor where you can edit fuel, time, and waypoint altitude.  Last is the pilot selection screen where you can move pilots around, change payloads and modifications.  Accept Mission is on the last screen.

Thank you Pat and Vanson, 

It works perfectly... 

@ Pat: thank you so much for your enormous contribution to this community PWCG is just great and constantly improving!!

Best

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

:good:

13 Missions and 32 Victories into a new P-51 Campaign I started after this update, so far looking good!!

No lack of active enemy squadrons so far listed in Intel Report.

• Thanks 1

Incorporated skins available in game

Increased use of winter skins

Fixed issue that could cause missions not to generate

I incorporated the skins available in the game.  In many cases I used a skin that is not quite accurate because one has what one has.  However, this should make the viewing a little more interesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for this new version.

I have one question using 10.3.0: Is it now possible to assign own skins to squadrons when editing the corresponding files ? E.g. I have the skins "X1" and X2 for I16 and want to assign them to the IAP34. If I collect all information and make the following entry in the I16 file, the skins will appear in the mission?

{
  "skinSetType": "SKIN_CONFIGURED",
  "skins": {
"X1": {
      "skinName": "X1",
      "planeType": "i16t24",
      "startDate": "19410601",
      "endDate": "19430401",
      "squadId": 10111034,
      "country": "RUSSIA",
       "category": "Configured",
       "definedInGame": true,
       "winter": true
    },
"X2": {
      "skinName": "X2",
      "planeType": "i16t24",
      "startDate": "19410601",
      "endDate": "19430401",
      "squadId": 10111034,
      "country": "RUSSIA",
      "category": "Configured",
       "definedInGame": true,
       "winter": true

}
}
}

Thanks for that new version, Pat. Adding custom skins for the aircrafts is a really cool feature. And you did that very cleverly, implementing new skins and then giving me a night mission, so I nearly missed noticing this new feature:biggrin:

• Haha 1

@Almenas Let me try to explain the skin data files:

All of the configured skins are considered to be personal skins or variations on factory skin.  The personal skins are intended to appear one time and only one time in a given mission.

Please note that any changes to a configuration file will be overwritten by every PWCG install, so it will be up to you to maintain the edited files.

If you did what you propose to do then those I16 skins would be available only to the squadron to which they are assigned, identifies by squadronId.  If that squadron is AI then PWCG will assign them automatically on a random (may or may not) basis.  If that squadron is your squadron then you would be obliged to assign those skins to your AI mates.  PWCG will only auto assign the generic squadron livery tot he players flight.

Adding those entries for your own squadron does not really buy you much.  Those skins can already be assigned as loose skins, so you get no extra capability.  The configuration is mostly there to let PWCG correctly assign skins to AI units in the flight.

Thanks for the explanation, I think I got the structure, and I edited all squadrons for the Moscow map according to the pattern, 16 skins per squadron, but they do not appear in the mission. Either default or factory skin, but not the personal skins. I have the feeling that the squadron ID is not recognized or is not on top of the hierarchy.

User made skins skins by SARFlytitus, Almenas, 352nd_Siqhter, and SR603-Flowbee
Skins are p47 d-22 (Quite a few), I16, LaGG 3, and Me-262.
Download and install PWCG Skin Pack 2 from the PWCG web site
- Download into your root game folder and unzip.  The folder tree starts with "data"

• Like 2

Apparently the entries of the "Squadron" file have priority over the "Skin" file. I don't see different skins in AI Squadron, only the one assigned in the squadron file. This is an excerpt from the mission file.

1.jpg

In your squadron PWCG does not try to assign personal skins (skins in the configured file).  You are expected to do that assignment yourself.  If you do not do that assignment then your AI flight mates will get the squadron skin.  Assigning personal skins to your squadron mates takes just a few minutes, and by doing it yourself the assignments stick.

If you assigned a skin to Lt Boris Kurepin and it did not get used then that is an issue.

The configured skins are there to help PWCG assign personal skins to AI flights.  These assignments are for that mission only and do not stick.

I make the assignment for my squadron myself. I understand that. The assignment for AI Squadron is in the skin files, right? Then if Al squadrons are active in the mission, each plane should have different skin. I haven't seen that yet, but I'll keep my eyes open. Remind me of the old RoF days, when every plane had its own skin.

53 minutes ago, Almenas said:

I make the assignment for my squadron myself. I understand that. The assignment for AI Squadron is in the skin files, right? Then if Al squadrons are active in the mission, each plane should have different skin. I haven't seen that yet, but I'll keep my eyes open. Remind me of the old RoF days, when every plane had its own skin.

Not necessarily.  Novice pilots will almost never be assigned a personal skin.  They are usually reserved for ace and veteran and sometimes common.   I probably need a code change top take rank into consideration as early war Russian pilots are often not veteran or ace regardless of rank.

Okay, now I get it. Thought every pilot always got a skin, regardless of rank. Thank you for your patience.

1 hour ago, Almenas said:

Okay, now I get it. Thought every pilot always got a skin, regardless of rank. Thank you for your patience.

I am going to look into changing that.  Can't say what exactly, but the goal will be to get more defined skins into the game.

16 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

User made skins skins by SARFlytitus, Almenas, 352nd_Siqhter, and SR603-Flowbee
Skins are p47 d-22 (Quite a few), I16, LaGG 3, and Me-262.
Download and install PWCG Skin Pack 2 from the PWCG web site
- Download into your root game folder and unzip.  The folder tree starts with "data"

Is that other skinpack (PWCG Skin pack) on your site, still being used by PWCG? 

46 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Is that other skinpack (PWCG Skin pack) on your site, still being used by PWCG? 

Yes

Thank you Pat!  Now an admission, over all of these years I haven't used skin assignment, so I have a few newb questions:

1.  Is your Youtube Tutorial on Skins still relevant with these changes?

2.  Is there a good step by step post/thread for PWCG skins including showing where to download skins (I see above that its in the game directory, not PWCG, and that we should download both PWCG skin packs - correct)? 

3.  Does this all apply to Flying Circus & do the 2 PWCG skin packs also include WWI skins?

As always, I really appreciate all the work that you and, in this case, the a/c artists in the community are doing. :salute:

The skins just go into the games skin folder (data/graphics/skins) , which is why they should be unzipped from the game folder and not PWCG.

Download both.  Skin packs will be cumulative.

Flying circus are not included but are being worked.  The Great Battles skin packs themselves aren't even close to complete.  Many more coming.

You do need to download the latest PWCG.  In 10.3.1 I changed no code but many config files changed.

• Thanks 1

Hi Patrick ;) In P47 squadrons, i can't assign skins to the P47D22 (only for the D28)...perhaps a nice addition for the futur ;)

Is there a place we can track what squadrons need skins? I'd love to contribute but i don't want to redo work that's already been done.

Russian skins.  New skins cover most, if not all, Russian planes
- Special shout out to szelljr this release because I covered all 32 pages for his skins and pulled dozens.
- Added more skins by SARFlytitus, Almenas, 352nd_Siqhter, and SR603-Flowbee, E69_Julian57, flyingfisch, CCG_Pips
- Added skins by several contributors from the Russian forum
- New skins are in skin packs 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 ... yes, there are that many
- Some P-38 skins made it in too
Changed skin algorithm to allow many more personal skins to be used

10.3.2 adds about 200 mostly Russian skins.  Many were done by szelljr.  Most of the IL2 skins came from the Russian forum.  Others came from different sources.  Next up are western allies.  I am saving the Germans for last because they are the hardest.  As noted in the release notes, the code has also been changed to make more use of configured skins.

@thepiespy Squadron skins are designated in the squadron json files.  I have something for most of the squadrons at this point, although many, especially the German squadrons, could be improved.

• Thanks 1

S! PatrickAWilson,

Tried to play as a French officer, and I got an error on the name of the pilot given by PWCG.
You can view the PWCGErrorLog added to this message.

PWCGErrorLog.txt

Tried the version 10.3.2.

Cheers,
=GenMarkof007=

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, GenMarkof007 said:

S! PatrickAWilson,

Tried to play as a French officer, and I got an error on the name of the pilot given by PWCG.
You can view the PWCGErrorLog added to this message.

PWCGErrorLog.txt 13.09 kB · 0 downloads

Tried the version 10.3.2.

Cheers,
=GenMarkof007=

As stated: alpha English characters only.   That validation is there because the game seizes (no kidding) if you feed it a non English name in the eng file.

Niccolo' Ferrara has to become Niccolo Ferrara (no apostrophe)

Edited by PatrickAWlson