coconut

Coconut's server

Visited the server briefly yesterday. Took a Ju-88 to bomb a supply storage. There were some 110s attacking it too. Didn't remember the info well enough, so I ended bombing storage-looking buildings that were not targets. After that, took a 109 to go and strafe supply column, but got jumped by AI and crashed on it during head-on.

It looks like a very nice system, and I will definitely visit again! :)

• Upvote 1

Very intrigued by your expert server. F2 views are great for quick snapshots, but inevitably if you want the expert crowd in numbers, you might have to consider adjusting it. Everything else is excellent. Market your server a bit more. Consider a discord channel to keep a running conversation about the server. If you dont mind, what was the reason for external views when you have a normal server?

+1

Checked this out yesterday. This is a golden time for you to attract people to your server, with TAW and RE down. 

I also agree with banzaii in regards to f2 views on expert, and setting up a discord channel

If you set up a discord/ts post it on the voice comms master list: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30488-il-2-voice-comms-master-list-teamspeak-discord-etc/

Edited by 2./JG51_Hobo
  • Upvote 1

Very intrigued by your expert server. F2 views are great for quick snapshots, but inevitably if you want the expert crowd in numbers, you might have to consider adjusting it. Everything else is excellent. Market your server a bit more. Consider a discord channel to keep a running conversation about the server. If you dont mind, what was the reason for external views when you have a normal server?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not aiming for hosting as large a population as RE or TAW, primarily because of technical limitations. The current population is mostly composed of relaxed gentlemen, and therefore I don't think F2 views abuse is a problem. For now. I may re-evaluate depending on how things work out. And to answer your question, external views are there so that people can take a look at their plane when on the ground, and to enjoy their own skins. Occasionally it also allows me to investigate misbehaving AIs.

Discord is up: https://discord.gg/JmNRZZZ

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 2

Hello, 

I am in love with the coco..... server

I have started playing on this server instead of playing single player when I need a quick flight here and there. Do you have any control over the AI of the planes? in my last play, I agro'ed an I-16 and he followed me all the way back home until I landed. he then tried to strafe me and got blown to bits by the AAA. 

I also think the AI on your server are more difficult than the default AI that come with the game (good thing) but maybe that's placebo.

any way good job and keep up the good work.

• Upvote 1

Do you have any control over the AI of the planes?

Nothing out of the ordinary. They get an area to cover, and their level is ace. I'm surprised it followed you, normally they stick to the area to cover.

Those who haven't already, I invite you to join the discord server. It contains two channels where bots post live updates about activity in each server: Number of players in the air, when missions start and after-action reports when they end.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 1

Example: 

Axis 23 okt 1941 11:00 Plane losses: bf109f2: 1 New tanks: medium: 2 Storage capacity lost: -182 units New supplies from factories: +3380 units

Allies 23 okt 1941 11:00 Plane losses: il2mod41: 1 New tanks: light: 13 New supplies from factories: +400 units

A plane took off on the axis side. There is now 1 plane in the air.

New mission started, in-game time is 14:00

Been a non-flyer for a few months now for various reasons, but will defiantly check out your server shortly.

tackar...!

every time I join the Normal server, It appears that the map is always in the same state. The germans are always squished into the corner with like 3 airfields. Is this just a coincidence or is something maybe wrong with the dynamic aspects of the normal campaign?

on top of this. if you let the AIs "run the server" (AKA no human players at all) how does the campaign play out? do airfields get capped? do AI planes shoot down other AI planes? right now it seems like the AI planes never really run into each other from what i have seen. It would be cool to come across an AI dog fight already in progress where maybe you can save you comrade :)

every time I join the Normal server, It appears that the map is always in the same state. The germans are always squished into the corner with like 3 airfields. Is this just a coincidence or is something maybe wrong with the dynamic aspects of the normal campaign?

Things are working "correctly", it's just a defect of the scenario: Apparently the AI keeps sending small-ish groups of tanks to attack Rzhev. A smarter general would mass his troops near the front line and launch a final assault. It could be fixed with a smarter AI (easier said than done), or a more linear arrangement of regions, maybe with a capturable factory area in the middle.

Tomorrow evening I'll switch to the other scenario, on the Velikie-Luki map. It has its issues too, but lack of progress is typically not one of them.

Also humans haven't really figured out yet what's the most effective way to win, which is understandable. If people focussed more on destroying the factories in Rzhev, the Germans would be left without means to replenish their tank numbers between attacks. Instead, people tend to focus on destroying defenses of regions that are about to be conquered, which in turns makes them harder to hold when they are conquered.

if you let the AIs "run the server" (AKA no human players at all) how does the campaign play out? do airfields get capped?

Yes, regions (including airfields) get captured by AI tanks.

do AI planes shoot down other AI planes?

Yes, also it's rare in the Moscow scenario, due to the size of the play area. But it happens a lot more on the Velikie-Luki scenario.

So I played a little more on the Normal server last night, and one thing I think would benefit the server is to have the AI fly in squads of 2 or more. I believe in real life a pilot would never be going on a sortie alone unless it was desperate times. From a game perspective the AI even on Ace is pretty bad/predictable so when you encounter an AI flying around on his own it's pretty easy to take him out. This would also encourage people to play together as to not be outnumbered

I'm curious what the upper limit of AI is on the server: whats the max number of AI you can have in the air without slow downs, because I think there need to be more AI in the air if possible.

Hi coco, now that there is an exp server, please can we make the normal server a normal setting server? Bomb reticule and eng mgmt on?

Trial for a week or two? That wld be awesome.

Hi coco, now that there is an exp server, please can we make the normal server a normal setting server? Bomb reticule and eng mgmt on?

The Bomb retical maybe, only because you can turn that off yourself if you don't like it, but please do not change eng mgmt, because there is no way to turn that off from the user's side. eng mgmt is not too hard, and I think if you are having trouble with it, you might want to just practice with your plane of choice in single player, plus there are plenty of planes that require little to no engine management. 

Edited by =SqSq=switch201

So I played a little more on the Normal server last night, and one thing I think would benefit the server is to have the AI fly in squads of 2 or more. I believe in real life a pilot would never be going on a sortie alone unless it was desperate times. From a game perspective the AI even on Ace is pretty bad/predictable so when you encounter an AI flying around on his own it's pretty easy to take him out. This would also encourage people to play together as to not be outnumbered

I'm curious what the upper limit of AI is on the server: whats the max number of AI you can have in the air without slow downs, because I think there need to be more AI in the air if possible.

Currently AI patrols respawn after one hour when they are shot down. This respawn mechanism is not compatible with wings of fighters, only with individual fighters. It is therefore not easy to implement. I have an idea on how to work around that, but there are other things I'd like to do before getting into that.

I think it makes sense. People who want full realism can fly on expert. Of course, there may be people for whom the in-between solution of "expert + icons" is important, I'm thinking of the VR crowd. If so let them make themselves heard (VR or not).

I was myself flying with icons because of VR, but after trying expert, I think it's manageable. I can find vehicles, but that may be because I know the system. Not sure how other VR players would fare.

Edited by coconut

The bomb reticule is ok for your normal serve but please leave the CEM. I like to think of your server as an intermediate server...but it is your server....personally I like it as is...just my opinion...hope everyone has a good weekend..:D

Wow, Coconut, coming home after holidays and you added a fine Discord-integration with live-reporting.

• Upvote 1

The results are clear, external cams on the expert server will be disabled next time the server reboots

• Upvote 3

Had a great fun for tonight's session.

Low overcast  at night with rain and gusty wind was a good challenge for ground attack !

Little question about the objectives though, on depots with smoke columns on them, Do you still need to destroy every dugouts, or are the smoking one already considered as destroyed even if some of them look intact ?

I thought the smokers are marking destroyed, so hit everything else first, then in doubt hit those. 

Hi coconut! Thanks for bomb reticule!

I see that you also enabled aim assist on... can we pls keep bomb reticule but off with aim assist? Thank you!

Little question about the objectives though, on depots with smoke columns on them, Do you still need to destroy every dugouts, or are the smoking one already considered as destroyed even if some of them look intact ?

The game has only two levels of damage for static meshes: destroyed or pristine. The campaign however tracks damage with percentages. It is therefore possible that a dugout is burning (because it's damaged) but looks undamaged. Moreover, the campaign tracks damage at the group level, not the individual dugout. Smoke effects are generated per group, not per dugout. It's therefore possible to have a group with 50% damage, where half the dugouts see damaged, the other half looks undamaged, and have smoke because the group is partially damaged. I'll eventually refine that to track damage for individual buildings, but it's not high prio.

To summarize: attack every dugout, barack and  hangar that looks undamaged, regardless of smoke/fire.

Note also that smoke and fire effects are purely cosmetic. Only the 20 most damaged groups get smoke effects, so it's possible that a damaged group lacks smoke effects.

I see that you also enabled aim assist on... can we pls keep bomb reticule but off with aim assist? Thank you!

Done, hopefully I did it right. The change will be effective at next server restart, which normally happens twice a day.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I'm running a server with my missions around the clock and every day.

Look for server(s) starting with "Coconuts ".

The server is located in Sweden, running on a 100/100Mb/s line. I also have a teamspeak (with password "coco") running at coconutside.eu.

Currently running a dynamic persistent campaign. Your actions in the current mission affect the next mission. The settings of the server are:

• Complex Engine Management
  • GPS
  • Object markers (as in Normal mode)
Icons are on because targets are otherwise impossible to find in VR, and I'm flying in VR. More Expert-like settings will be added on a second server later when the mission scripting and monitoring software is capable of handling two servers at the same time.

See this post for a more detailed description of the campaign rules.

Welcome!

If you switched icons and GPS off, I'd try this server. Btw, I fly in VR. What is written in the first post sounds more like an excuse. It is absolutely possible to spot easily and ID in VR as well. Actually , spotting is easier than on a monitor.

Till they're off,so long o7

Hi Coconut....the gun aim is on and the bomb reticule is off....Don't really care myself but some might.....and a request....can you turn off the instirtment panel?  thanks

Hi Coconut,

I've spent a bit of time on your server this week. The more I fly, the more I like it. The "ressource war" system you put together feels much more attractive and having more depth than objective based campaign like RE or TAW.

I very like the fact that each tank or plane I destroy on the ground is something that the enemy will miss in the future. Very immersive.

A few suggestion about thing that may need improvements in my opinion :

- Leave some aircrafts permanently selectable at all airfields (say ju87/il2 and a basic fighter like a 109F2), so that even if there are none in the pool of that aifield at the beginning of the mission, someone can land there after taking of from another airfield and be able to operate from that frontline airfield.

- Add a couple AAA trucks in the road convoys, the are too easy to destroy (unless they do have some in daylight mission, but I've flown mostly by night so far)

- Improve a bit how ressource transfer are calculated at the mission generation. Right now there are a sh**load of tanks available for the germans at novosssokolnikiy and on the rear cities, but they keep exchanging them for rear guard duty and these seems to never supply the frontline depots.

But in all, awesome game mechanics you put together !

Hello Coconut

I just read Grubers post above and I have been thinking about the same issues myself.

I really like your server. You have one of the best resource/supply systems that makes it fun and rewarding to fly from one mission to the next.

Night missions are total fun and burning targets from previous attacks are great navigation points just like in RL.

It only gets boring when almost all A/C are depleted from the map. I played Moscow campaign in august and at the end blue side only had a couple of Macchi left to fly.

So just like Gruber suggests if one basic attack and fighter type per side could always be selectable or have a higher resupply rate it would be great.

Thanks for your great work!

I agree, some sort of minimal "reserve" aircraft would be good. Maybe disperse the static aircraft a bit more and/or increase their durability, they are super easy to take out en-mass. 

Hi again......thanks for the changes....seems that both of your servers are not responding.....flew normal and after the mission ended never came back, tried the expert and as it was loading got kicked back to start screen.  again thanks for your servers and hard work....it is appriciated....

Hello Coconut

I just read Grubers post above and I have been thinking about the same issues myself.

I really like your server. You have one of the best resource/supply systems that makes it fun and rewarding to fly from one mission to the next.

Night missions are total fun and burning targets from previous attacks are great navigation points just like in RL.

It only gets boring when almost all A/C are depleted from the map. I played Moscow campaign in august and at the end blue side only had a couple of Macchi left to fly.

So just like Gruber suggests if one basic attack and fighter type per side could always be selectable or have a higher resupply rate it would be great.

Thanks for your great work!

I agree, some sort of minimal "reserve" aircraft would be good. Maybe disperse the static aircraft a bit more and/or increase their durability, they are super easy to take out en-mass. 

Well, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind  :blush:

I was not speaking of some aircrafts that are always in supply.

Maybe an example would be much clearer :

Situation 1 :

There are 1 Stukas and 1 Bf109 at Velikie, I take off for a ground attack mission and unfortunately crash the Stuka. 

Now there is only the Bf109 left available, but the Stuka is still visible (but locked) in the aircraft list.

I take a Stuka from a rear airfield, go blast some targets and then land at Velikie because it's closer.

I can then refly my Stuka directly from Velikie because it was resupplied at that airfield.

Perfect.

Situation 2 :

There is only 1 Bf109 at Velikie at the beginning of the mission 

As it is of now, the planes list on this airfield contains the type Bf109.

If I take off from a rear airfield, go destroy a depot and then bring the aircraft at the Velikie frontline airfield.

Now the aircraft is lost because it was removed from the rear airfield pool, but as the Velikie planes list only contains the Bf109 type, I can't fly the Stuka from this place either.

I have to wait until next mission to get the stuka back at the Velikie airfield.

So my proposal was for situation 2.

Always keep some basic types listed in all airfield planes list.

So that if at the beginning of a mission the frontline airfield doesn't have any aircraft available, one can fly one of these types at one of the rear airfields, and once they have landed at Velikie, they can immediately refly from that frontline AF. 

Because the pool will be resupplied AND the aircraft is in Velikie planes list.

This is what I meant by "selectable" 

This said, a faster resupply rate for one or two types of "low value" is also a good idea, unless it is already the case  :)

I haven't seen a complete shortage of planes so far but it looks like this can happen too

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

When one side gets the advantage, the losing side finds themselves with restricted or no choice of planes. It's a natural consequence of a system focused on resources. The problem is that this state of things can last for too long, which isn't fun. An imbalance should lead to a defeat reasonably quickly, and be followed by a map reset where things are fun again.

Fixing this will require adjustments on a number of fronts:

1. Decouple plane production from the strategic situation. Planes are "produced" off-map, flown into the rear airfield. I expect the losing side will still have fewer planes, due to having fewer airfields and being subjected to more strafing/bombing runs, but at least new planes should become available on a regular basis.
  2. AI flights ferry planes from the rear airfield to other airfields. On a public server there is a tendency to have "plane wasters" undo the work of people who have the patience of ferrying planes.
  3. There will be individual restrictions put on players that cost more to their side than they deliver. If you waste planes, you will lose access to front-line airfields.
  4. AI ground strategy will get smarter and avoid keeping huge tank reserves at the back, which should help avoid stale situations where the strong side fails to prevail.

Initial implementations of 1 and 2 have been deployed, they will certainly need tweaking. After that I'll look into 4. Then I'll see if 3 still needs to be put in place. It's a measure that's hard to implement in a user-friendly way. People will spawn in planes they are not allowed to spawn in, then get kicked 15s later and wonder what they did wrong.

This is what I meant by "selectable"

This would be a good system, but can't be implemented at the moment. The number of planes in a slot cannot exceed the initial number of planes in that slow. In other words, if I add an empty slot for e.g. Stukas, landing there with a Stuka will have no effect in practice, as the number would be limited to 0. If I change the limit to "no limit", then there is no point if ferrying Stukas there because people can spawn there anyway.

I'll post a suggestion that the initial number of planes in a slot should not also be the maximum number, hopefully it would be an easy change to implement.

EDIT: Posted suggestion at https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30989-decouple-initial-and-maximum-number-planes-fakefields/

Edited by coconut