coconut

Coconut's server

http://deacademic.com/dic.nsf/dewiki/433886#Luftwaffe

http://www.militaer-wissen.de/dienstgrade-der-russischen-armee/

http://taw.stg2.de/stats.php

Hello Coconut

That would be great. No idea how they did on TAW with the small rank insignia but here you can find the German and Russian rank insignia under the link. So with the Germans from (18 to 14) ascending. NCO 18, Sergeant 17, Sergeant 16, Sergeant 15, Sergeant Major 14, and (13 to 8) Lieutenant 13, Lieutenant 12, Captain 11, Major 10, Lieutenant Colonel 9, Colonel 8

(18 bis 14) Unteroffizier 18, Unterfeldwebel 17, Feldwebel 16, Oberfeldwebel 15, Stabsfeldwebel 14 und weiter

(13 bis 8) Leutnant 13, Oberleutnant 12, Hauptmann 11, Major 10, Oberstleutnant 9, Oberst 8.

Hello Coconut

On the Coconut's server Normal, but are always the enemy mocking turned on Or?

Does that apply to all enemy planes?

Yesterday 20:11:17 I have two enemy aircraft completed an IL-2 model 1941 of (Ploofy) which also had a red enemy mark and a P-40E-1 of (vonNutz) who just had no enemy mark.

Or am I not always marked for the enemy myself?

I think on the map were also two enemy symbols.

greeting

Nelly

ps. Can I still help because of the rank insignia?

Hallo Coconut

Auf den Coconut's Server Normal sind doch eigentlich immer die Feindmakierung eingeschaltet Oder?

Gilt das für alle Feindflieger?

Gestern 20.11.17 habe ich zwei feindliche Flieger abgeschlossen eine IL-2 model 1941 von (Ploofy) die auch eine rote Markierung hatte und eine P-40E-1 von (vonNutz) die eben keine Feindmakierung hatte.

Oder bin ich auch selber nicht immer für den Feind markiert?

Ich glaube auf der Karte waren aber auch zwei Feind Symbole.

Gruß

Nelly

ps. Kann ich wegen den Dienstgradabzeichen noch helfen?

Hello Coconut

On the Coconut's server Normal, but are always the enemy mocking turned on Or?

Does that apply to all enemy planes?

Yesterday 20:11:17 I have two enemy aircraft completed an IL-2 model 1941 of (Ploofy) which also had a red enemy mark and a P-40E-1 of (vonNutz) who just had no enemy mark.

Or am I not always marked for the enemy myself?

I think on the map were also two enemy symbols.

greeting

Nelly

ps. Can I still help because of the rank insignia?

Hallo Coconut

Auf den Coconut's Server Normal sind doch eigentlich immer die Feindmakierung eingeschaltet Oder?

Gilt das für alle Feindflieger?

Gestern 20.11.17 habe ich zwei feindliche Flieger abgeschlossen eine IL-2 model 1941 von (Ploofy) die auch eine rote Markierung hatte und eine P-40E-1 von (vonNutz) die eben keine Feindmakierung hatte.

Oder bin ich auch selber nicht immer für den Feind markiert?

Ich glaube auf der Karte waren aber auch zwei Feind Symbole.

Gruß

Nelly

ps. Kann ich wegen den Dienstgradabzeichen noch helfen?

I think this article fits well.

US pilots also complain about insecurity of the Russian aviators.

https://de.sputniknews.com/amp/technik/20171121318382249-us-piloten-kampfjets-unsichtbarkeit/

Thanks Nelly, I'll look into this. Right now I'm working with a new small scenario on Kuban.

• Upvote 2

Hej coconut.

I've flown a few missions on your expert server. Very nice.

I noticed, however, that the stats have a couple of omissions. For example, I flew a transport sortie last night: http://coconutside.eu:81/en/sortie/4661/?tour=4

The flight was from Semisotka (0702) to Anapa (1115), drop off cargo, then fly back. I definitely unloaded the cargo, but the payload is listed as empty in the stats page. I realise that this might simply be from the fact that the IL2 game engine doesn't report it correctly, but maybe it is in the server log?

That then leads me to the question of what exactly is in the server log for a transport mission? Is there information there that could go into the stats?

The motivation for asking is 1) to point out the omission and 2) to work out if there is a way to improve the stats for the transport pilots?

Is the log information the same as if someone hosts a mission themselves, or does the dedicated servers get extra log material?

Edited by xvii-Dietrich
  • Upvote 1

That then leads me to the question of what exactly is in the server log for a transport mission? Is there information there that could go into the stats?

When a player spawns, the log entry contains the loadout. When the player takes-off and lands, there is a log entry that's created including the position of the plane.

I use this information for the supply missions. I don't know if the empty loadout in the stats page is a bug in the stats software, or a bug in the log. The log has been correct before, but I don't know when I last tested it.

Make sure you are really taking off with cargo. There is a bug in the game UI that makes it so that sometimes the selection doesn't really work, and you may not notice it when you spawn.

EDIT: Looking at the results file, I can see two Ju52 take-offs, one from Semisotka with cargo, one from Anapa without. I guess the first one was an AI and the empty one was you?

Is the log information the same as if someone hosts a mission themselves, or does the dedicated servers get extra log material?

I'm not sure what you mean. At the moment the only way to host a multiplayer mission is to use the dedicated server. AFAIK the log is mostly the same in SP and MP missions.

I'll soon start working on a new stat page that is better suited to the campaign. It will show "campaign events" instead of raw mission logs, i.e. "vehicle in column destroyed", "reinforcements dropped", "supply mission completed"...

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Looking at the results file, I can see two Ju52 take-offs, one from Semisotka with cargo, one from Anapa without. I guess the first one was an AI and the empty one was you?

They are both me.

According to the instructions in the OP of this thread, ...

If you like to fly transporters (Ju52):
Select an airfield with its bomb stocks full (the amount of bombs at an airfield is indicated beside the airfield's name). Pick a Ju52 with the Cargo load out, take off and fly to an airfield with few bombs. Land there, bring the plane to a stop. Unload your cargo. Take off again and bring back the plane to where you started. That last point is optional, but not doing so will typically result in transferring the plane to a forward airfield, where it will be useless and exposed to enemy strafing attacks.

I basically followed these rules. Took a load of cargo, took off from Semisotka and flew to Anapa. I landed, pulled off the runway, left the engines on, but applied the parking brake.

I then opened the doors, unloaded the cargo, took off again and flew back. I definitely unloaded the cargo, as I saw the "unload percentage" counter tick off.

From what you wrote, I think it must mean that the server considered the cargo of my return flight only... hence it shows as "empty".

So my question now is... should I have spawned out and spawned back in again at Anapa (thus making it two separate missions)?

• Upvote 1

Yes you need to be respawn. Only one supply mission per spawn. But don’t respawn at your destination. If you do that you’ll pick up the cargo you just delivered, which makes your stop there useless. Supply missions do not produce supplies, they move them.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 1

Yes you need to be respawn. Only one supply mission per spawn. But don’t respawn at your destination. If you do that you’ll pick up the cargo you just delivered, which makes your stop there useless. Supply missions do not produce supplies, they move them.

But, as the aircraft is at the destination, I still need to bring it back, right.

So, my reading of this is, to take cargo from A to B, I need to:

1. Select "full cargo" loadout
  2. Spawn in at A
  3. Fly from A to B.
  4. Unload the cargo at B
  5. Spawn out at B
  6. Select "no cargo" loadout
  7. Spawn in at B
  8. Fly back from B to A
  9. Spawn out at A

Now, the cargo is at B and the plane is back at A, ready for the next load.

• Upvote 1

No, there's simpler:

1. Select full cargo
  2. Spawn at A
  3. Fly to B
  4. Land at B
  5. Unload cargo
  6. Take-off from B
  7. Fly back to A
  8. Land
  9. Despawn

This will transfer 2300Kg worth of supplies from A to B.

Your method works too, but only if there is a Ju52 available to spawn at B, which might not be the case if there were no Ju52s there when the mission was generated.

No, there's simpler:

1. Select full cargo
  2. Spawn at A
  3. Fly to B
  4. Land at B
  5. Unload cargo
  6. Take-off from B
  7. Fly back to A
  8. Land
  9. Despawn

Your method works too, but only if there is a Ju52 available to spawn at B, which might not be the case if there were no Ju52s there when the mission was generated.

That is precisely what I did last night.

Yet you mentioned in your earlier post that this showed up twice in the logs.

I assume that's okay then.

All is fine then. The logs showed both flights, but only the first one counted as a supply mission.

All is fine then. The logs showed both flights, but only the first one counted as a supply mission.

Excellent. Thanks for looking into it for me.

Just arrived back from another transport flight this evening. Hopefully, it worked out too.

No, there's simpler:

• Select full cargo
  • Spawn at A
  • Fly to B
  • Land at B
  • Unload cargo
  • Take-off from B
  • Fly back to A
  • Land
  • Despawn

Good morning together, I apologize for my question that I have understood correctly now that after I have unloaded my Ju52 directly restart / can depart. So not #Flug exit # in the menu on the map restart ?!

The parachutists behind their own tanks, it does not show whether or not completed / successfully jumped or not!?

Gruß Nelly2408

Guten Morgen zusammen, Entschuldigt meine Frage habe ich das jetzt so richtig verstanden wenn ich nach dem ich meine Ju52 entladen habe direkt neu Starten/Abfliegen kann. Also nicht #Flug Beenden# im Menü auf der Karte neu Starten?!

Bei den Fallschirmspringer hinter den eigenen Panzer zeigt es auch nicht an ob oder ob nicht Abgeschlossen/Erfolgreich abgesprungen bzw. Nicht!?

Hallo zusammen

Ich hätte mal eine Frage bezüglich der Panzer Schlachten oder Ground Battles.

Mich würde interessieren unter welchen Bedingungen ein Einmarsch in ein Gebiet erfolgreich ist oder eben nicht, oder ein Gebiet erfolgreich verteidigt wird; wie ein in der Anzahl der Panzer unterlegenes Gebiet erfolgreich verteidigt werden kann und wie ein Ground Battle, in das man selbst nicht aktiv eingreifen kann, als Agressor oder als Verteidiger erfolgreich unterstützen kann ?

..sicher wäre jetzt "so viele Panzer wie möglich zerstören" die naheliegenste Antwort :D

Aber mir geht es um das Prinziep dieser Schlachten, wo ich noch nicht so richtig durchblicke.

Aktuell stellt sich mir auf der Moskau-Map die Frage, warum die deutsche Seite ihre Panzer in Rzhev hortet und die Front quasi ohne Panzernachschub dasteht wärend die Soviets ihre Panzer gut über alle Areale verteilt haben.

Hello everyone

I´ve got a question about the ground battles.

In wich circumstances is an invasion in an areal successful an when it is not, or how is an areal successfully defeted ?

How can a Battle be won when the own side has a lower number of tanks and how do I have to support a ground battle where nobody can enter as an active tank-pilot as invader or defender to achive the best results ?

..sure, "destroy as much tanks as possible" would be the closest answere :D

But I do not understand wich parameters these battles are following.

Actually I am questioning about the tank distribution at the Moscow-map.

The german side is hording it´s tanks at Rzhev and the frontline suffers under no tank-supply.

Compaired to this, the russians got a good distribution of their tanks at every areal.

Best regards and see you in the skies :)

Good morning together, I apologize for my question that I have understood correctly now that after I have unloaded my Ju52 directly restart / can depart. So not #Flug exit # in the menu on the map restart ?!

That's correct.

The parachutists behind their own tanks, it does not show whether or not completed / successfully jumped or not!?

There is a yellow message that appears shortly after the paratroopers touch the ground. If it does not show up, you dropped them too far away.

I should better indicate where is the drop zone exactly. I think that in future versions I'll put a couple trucks and tents where the optimal drop points is.

Right now there is a left-over from an earlier version, a burning fire that is typically above the ground. That fire was meant to be on the ground and show where to drop, but due to a bug it's in the air.

I´ve got a question about the ground battles. In wich circumstances is an invasion in an areal successful an when it is not, or how is an areal successfully defeted ?

Battles occur when a region contains tanks from the faction that does not control the region. This means that the previous turn, a tank column moved into the region. A tank column is considered to have moved into a region is some of its vehicles have not been damaged before the mission ends. Note that tanks need not physically reach the region. To stop them one must damage each vehicle up to the point where it stops moving.

A battle has a number of heavy, medium and light vehicles on each side. Light vehicles are rocket artillery. On the attacking side, the medium and heavy tanks continuously move towards enemy lines, and respawn some time after reaching the back of the enemy lines, or getting destroyed. On the defending side, the medium and heavy tanks are stationary. They respawn some time after getting destroyed. Additionally, there is a number of anti-tank guns that depends on the level of supplies in the region: lots if the bar is bright green, none if it's dark red.

Due to performance restriction, each side has at most 15 vehicles active at any time (for one battle).

After the mission ends, statistics are collected on the vehicles lost on both sides, and are removed from the vehicles participating in the battle. There are limits: up to 25% of vehicles on each side can be removed by the AI, up to 50% can be removed by players (in tanks or planes). That means that up to 75% of the vehicles can be removed from the battle.

The battle is then simulated using a number of rounds and throws of a dice: Each vehicle in one side picks a vehicle at random in the enemy's side and damages it by a random amount. Sides take turns firing at the other side until one side runs out of vehicles. The side that has vehicles left gains control over the region. The level of supplies and planes parked at airfields are removed due to "collateral damage" during the battle. The amount depends on how many rounds it took for the battle to complete.

It is possible to give a boost to a side, i.e. increase the health points of vehicles by dropping paratroopers. Each paratrooper that drops with 1km (not sure of the distance, could be 1.5km) gives maximum boost, other paratroopers dropped within 2km (or is it 2.5km, I'm not sure) give minimal boost. There is a maximum amount of total boost that can be achieved, but I don't remember the limit.

How can a Battle be won when the own side has a lower number of tanks and how do I have to support a ground battle where nobody can enter as an active tank-pilot as invader or defender to achive the best results ?

You cannot fully control the outcome of any ground battles. If 5 German tanks are being attacked by 50 Russian tanks, the best you can do is reduce the attacking force by 75%, leaving 12 tanks, and reinforce your forces with paratroopers, but at most by 50% (maybe even less, I don't remember the exact number), giving you 8 tanks. From there, it's unlikely the simulated battle will give the German side victorious, even though there is factor of chance involved.

Still, the damage you inflict is not in vain. You may lose a region, but halt the advance nevertheless. Tanks that are destroyed will not be able to participate in future battles.

Actually I am questioning about the tank distribution at the Moscow-map. The german side is hording it´s tanks at Rzhev and the frontline suffers under no tank-supply. Compaired to this, the russians got a good distribution of their tanks at every areal.

That's a problem I have been struggling with for some time. There is a tactical AI that is good at picking regions to attack, and can also delay an attack and retreat. But it's short-sighted and is incapable of sending tanks from back bases to the front. Then there is a logistic AI that simply sends tanks nearer to the front. Because it's stupid it never moves tanks to regions directly on the front, as these tanks might then be destroyed by larger forces in neighbouring regions. Both these AIs are used.

I think what might be happening is that the tactical AI thinks it's not a good idea to attack, and the logistics AI has nowhere to send tanks because all regions are on the frontline.

That's something that a human can easily see and remedy, but my AIs aren't smart enough for that.

EDIT: I've just looked at the Moscow map, and I don't understand why the German AI doesn't want to use its 100 tanks to attack a nearby region defended by 56 tanks. Sometimes there are some silly deadlocks when each side thinks the other one will attack, so there's not need to attack. Better stay home and defend... Another kind of deadlock is that every turn, the AI decides it will attack after the next turn, and because the situation does not change, it keeps taking the same decision and in the end it never does anything.END EDIT

Then there is also the problem that sometimes tanks get lost during transit, because of an obstacle on a road. A fence that goes over a road will systematically destroy all convoys and columns that take that road. It's hard to me to notice that unless I follow closely what is happening on a map, or I see it happening with my own eyes. I have a couple such issues with that on the Kuban map especially, which leads to some regions being depleted.

I have to say I'm not happy with my Moscow scenario. It's too big and unfocussed. I'm trying more linear arrangements of regions in other scenarios, and I think that works better. See the V-Luki scenario, the Stalingrad summer scenario and the fresh new Kuban Autumn scenario.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 2

There is a yellow message that appears shortly after the paratroopers touch the ground. If it does not show up, you dropped them too far away.

I should better indicate where is the drop zone exactly. I think that in future versions I'll put a couple trucks and tents where the optimal drop points is.

Right now there is a left-over from an earlier version, a burning fire that is typically above the ground. That fire was meant to be on the ground and show where to drop, but due to a bug it's in the air.

Thanks coconut for the lengthy explanation. That helps a lot understand what is going on.

I flew three paratroop flights today. It was extremely difficult, given the darkness and poor weather. But on the third attempt, I managed to get the "yellow message". What was better, was that there was a human-controlled tank near the drop zone who saw the paratroops jump down. It must has looked great from that perspective.

Here are some of my screenshots...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1211151034

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1211155385

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1211152634

Actually, I think you can *just* see the parachutes in that second screenshot.

A very satisfying flight.

• Upvote 1

I flew again this evening. The weather was better, but it was impossible to find the drop zone. There were a lot of objects on the ground... all of which looked plausible. What would really help would be a marker on the map. Navigating to a place makes life a lot easier, rather than trying to guess where "2km-behind-the-battle" is.

Sadly, the mission ended and the next one wasn't suitable for transports. The new mission was boxed tightly into a corner, with all airfield fully stocked and no battles to aid with paratroops.

• Upvote 1

The AA is very strong here, I often get shot down when moving really fast. On which level is it set?

Edit: The normal one.

Edited by Leon_Portier

What would really help would be a marker on the map

Good idea, I'll add that. I'll also make the landing zone easier to see by adding a few distinct objects.

The AA is very strong here, I often get shot down when moving really fast. On which level is it set? Edit: The normal one.

AA is murderous near airfields, factories (but some can be entirely unprotected). It's lighter near dugouts. If you want to make it back in one piece, I advise to go for the truck convoys, the tank parks and dugouts that are not too close to an airfield. Note that only airfields where players can spawn have heavy defenses. That includes "grayed out" airfields, i.e. spawns without planes.

The better protected objectives must be attacked in group, using level bombing from at least 3000m, or you need to destroy ammo supplies (dugouts) first. Destroying dugouts weakens defenses. The color of the bar on the map indicates how strong defenses are: green = strong, red = weak.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for running these great servers Coconut, I'm new to the flight sim world, but I've been really enjoying getting to grips with things on these servers. 

@@jackc12 Welcome!

New version out today:

• New scenario on Stalingrad autumn, currently running on Expert
  • Added ships on rivers
  • Added objects on the ground to help locate the drop zone area. There's a truck that fires 3 flares at 20s interval when a friendly plane approaches. That's the center point of the drop zone. I forgot to add a marker on the map, but hopefully it's not needed. I'd rather avoid having GPS-guided paradrops on the normal server. Let me know if more is needed
  • Added T landing canvas to show the direction of take-off and landing
  • Russian transport AI flights no longer use Ju52s, they use Pe2s instead.
  • Upvote 4

I had a few flights last night and huge amount of fun, absolutely loving the server :)

Dropped some 500s with the pe2 on some dugouts but caused no damage. Can you destroy dugouts and does this contribute to the war effort in any way?

Dropped some 500s with the pe2 on some dugouts but caused no damage. Can you destroy dugouts and does this contribute to the war effort in any way?

Yes and yes. Note however it's only the dugouts that I have obviously placed myself, not the occasional one that you can find on some of the airfields. They are always in groups, close to villages or roads. A 500Kg bomb should be more than enough to do some damage. Weird if they did not do any.

The war effort contribution consists of destruction of ammo used to defend the region. This affects anti-tank canons in battles, and AA guns. It will also force the affected side to divert some production from ammo and tank production to repairs.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 1

New version out today:

• New scenario on Stalingrad autumn, currently running on Expert
  • Added ships on rivers
  • Added objects on the ground to help locate the drop zone area. There's a truck that fires 3 flares at 20s interval when a friendly plane approaches. That's the center point of the drop zone. I forgot to add a marker on the map, but hopefully it's not needed. I'd rather avoid having GPS-guided paradrops on the normal server. Let me know if more is needed
  • Added T landing canvas to show the direction of take-off and landing
  • Russian transport AI flights no longer use Ju52s, they use Pe2s instead.

I've flown the new expert version a bit now.

But I've not seen any battles on the map at all. Normally, I'd expect to see the "tank battle" icons or the text "Battle ground". Am I missing something? Thanks!

Everything else is either fine, or doesn't apply to me.

• Upvote 1

There was a bug with trains transporting troops, resulting in troops not being transported, which probably explains the lack of battles. I’ve deployed a fix yesterday evening, I’ll see this evening if it worked.

• Upvote 1

I've checked again this evening and there are no battles on the map.

Also, if I transport cargo to an airfield, I am guessing that the total is only incremented in the next mission. Is that correct?

I've checked again this evening and there are no battles on the map.

Also, if I transport cargo to an airfield, I am guessing that the total is only incremented in the next mission. Is that correct?

There are battles now, I've seen them! That being said, trains carrying tanks were still not seen by the result extraction system, but now that's been fixed (really, promised!). With troops now reaching the front, we should see more action there.

Yes to your question.

This is my third campaign on this server.

This time I will fly for reds.

Good job Coconut

Welcome to the red side! Watch out for those 109s, they can be nasty. Take a IL-2 or a Peshka and rain destruction on the Axis' factories and convoys!

• Upvote 1

This is a fantastic server!

It´s absolutely perfect for a squad for some practice sessions if you fly with a squad.

Even flying alone, I find plenty of fun!

Keep up the great work!

• Upvote 1

It shows the take off and landing direction: from base of leg to top bar.

f0IixSMl.jpg

Hey whats thats that weird concrete T and why wont it die?

Standard stuff Leon. Runway markers. Please don't bomb them - they're related to newts and harmless.

Oh. Thanks, on coco normal they are marked as ground targeds, confusing me. But it makes sense, visual aid for landing planes.

My squad tried to fly here a few days ago but had no idea what we were supposed to do.  Is it not possible to put some details in the briefing as other servers do?    Even after reading this thread and the info on your website there seems to be a lot missing.  For example,  on the second page of this thread someone is talking about failing to close an airfield after bombing its runway and he is told what he did wrong but nowhere else in this thread or on the website does it say anything about bombing a runway being a way to close a field.

We had 10 pilots here, including a few from another squad we often fly with, so that is a lot of pilots that could have been flying here regularly had they not been put off by the lack of briefing.