Photo

Coconut's server

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#161 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:18

For icons, red means enemy, blue means friendly. Not my decision, that's what the game gives you when you set the icon type, i.e. "attack convoy"/"cover convoy". When you switch side, the convoys to attack and to cover are swapped, naturally. It may work differently on other servers because some mission makers choose to abuse the attack and cover terminology to mean allies and axis, respectively, but I personally don't like to go that way.

The lines are region borders, but I'll rework that part, it's currently confusing everybody except myself.

In other news, I restarted the campaign yesterday after fixing a few bugs. The Russians received over 300000 P40s during the night, and lost over 100000 medium tanks meanwhile. They then launched attacks with over 100 T34s towards the Axis lines, which brought the server to its knees. Command on both sides also scheduled truck convoys with negative amounts of trucks, that was also causing weird things.

I hope all this is fixed, but don't be surprised if campaigns get reset often the coming week, it's still WIP

Cool, thanks!

Hopefully I will get a chance to really give it a go tonight

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#162 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 24 March 2017 - 23:30

We had a very fun couple of missions tonight, thanks all who joined. There's a bug I need to fix we tanks columns causing heavy server overload and I'm therefore shutting down the server, but it will be back again shortly.

intel core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, nvidia 980ti, Acer predator XB271HU, Oculus Rift. Win10 Home

#163 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 25 March 2017 - 18:40

Server is back online after following (tentative) fixes:

• Excessive number of tanks spawned (>100) on top of each other, causing server overload messages
  • Supplies were not destroyed despite ammo depots being successfully destroyed
  • The commanding AI will now order tanks to attack enemy territory, instead of constantly moving them around within controlled territory or into neutral areas
  • The commanding AI is now more likely to send resupply convoys to places that need it (the axis side was overly passive in that regard)

intel core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, nvidia 980ti, Acer predator XB271HU, Oculus Rift. Win10 Home

#164 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 28 March 2017 - 19:31

Campaign restarted. The previous one was won by the Russians.

Something new I've implemented is spotting. Fly by a big AAA defense area and it will be marked on the map. Same thing with ammo depots that are filled to at least 50%.

Another addition is indication on the map of how well supplied each region is. Under the name each region, you will find a blue bar representing the "health" of the ammo depots, i.e. how many baraks/dugouts are intact. Under it, there is a gray, thinner bar that represents the full health level. Finally, there is a coloured arrow triangular cursor over the bars indicating how much ammo there currently is in the depots. The colour indicates whether the current level fulfils the defensive needs of the region: Green means full defense, yellow is partial, red is severely under-provided.

When flying a plane, you have to be careful about fully provided regions: their AAA are a serious threat to a small group of planes.

#165 -LaFrench-bexhausted

-LaFrench-bexhausted
  • Founder

Posted 01 April 2017 - 19:42

Reco works fine !

#166 216th_Nocke

216th_Nocke

Posted 01 April 2017 - 21:41

How about announcing some jour fixe to gather some people on your server? A little stress testing?

#167 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 01 April 2017 - 22:01

@-LaFrench-bexhausted Thanks for the report!

@216th_Nocke I'm still in the process of implementing essential features. When that's in place, I'll set one up.

#168 sinned

sinned

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:45

I am really looking forward to this server with expert and normal split...

#169 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 02 April 2017 - 18:09

I've reset the map and updated the monitoring and scripting software:

• Tanks that are not travelling during the mission are now parked. If you find the parking location you can destroy them and they'll be gone from the campaign. The number of parked tanks in each region is indicated between parentheses beside the region name on the mission map.
  • Spotting: Flying by an enemy supply depot will put it on the map, visible to your side until the mission's end. Same thing for big AA emplacements.
  • The "general AI" that decides tank column movements was redone. It should no longer neglect defending any more.

#170 71st_AH_Barnacles

71st_AH_Barnacles

Posted 02 April 2017 - 20:51

The spotting aspect of your server is brilliant, I also like the plane set. I find the BoM planes give far more varied match ups.

#171 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 02 April 2017 - 21:06

Thanks!

Glad you like the BoM plane set. More plane sets and campaigns will follow, but that's for later.

#172 4./JG52_Riksen

4./JG52_Riksen

Posted 03 April 2017 - 17:04

Sorry if Imissed the informations regarding the server but has it fully switched to a dynamic campaign similar to the one in il2 46?

#173 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 03 April 2017 - 18:07

I don't know if it's similar to the one in il2 1946 as I've never played that one, but yes, it has switched to a dynamic campaign now.

#174 4./JG52_Riksen

4./JG52_Riksen

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:05

Awesome ... I should give a try when I get some time. Nice work coconut :)

#175 sinned

sinned

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:49

Hi Coconut.

Pls can you at some stage publish description of how server works?
I have been trying to understand the mechanics but i do not know what to do to help front lines to advance.

Reinstating the stat page wld be awesome too.

Looking fwd to continued improvement.

#176 -LaFrench-bexhausted

-LaFrench-bexhausted
  • Founder

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:15

Hello !

A little question : does the destruction of empty deposits (dugouts baracks) reduce the storage capacity during the following campaign ?

Yesterday i had no time  flying to the full main target before end of mission, so i destroyed a close target (only one dugout :wacko: poor skilled pilot !).

[en français car je crains que mon anglais ne soit à l'image de mon pilotage : la destruction de dépôts de munition ou de bâtiments VIDES diminue-t-elle la capacité de stockage pour la région concernée si elle venait à être ravitaillée lors de la prochaine mission ? Sinon cela reste utile pour de l'entraînement !] 

#177 1./KG4_Odessa

1./KG4_Odessa
  • Founder

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:57

Hello !

A little question : does the destruction of empty deposits (dugouts baracks) reduce the storage capacity during the following campaign ?

Yesterday i had no time  flying to the full main target before end of mission, so i destroyed a close target (only one dugout :wacko: poor skilled pilot !).

[en français car je crains que mon anglais ne soit à l'image de mon pilotage : la destruction de dépôts de munition ou de bâtiments VIDES diminue-t-elle la capacité de stockage pour la région concernée si elle venait à être ravitaillée lors de la prochaine mission ? Sinon cela reste utile pour de l'entraînement !] 

Cant wait to hit your Air Base LaFrench-bexhausted one day :) but the AAA is so good there i have try 2000 M an 3500 M got kill tomorrow i will try from 5000 -6000 meters 

Edited by 1./KG4_Odessa, 04 April 2017 - 12:08.

#178 [DBS]Tx_Tip

[DBS]Tx_Tip

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:21

Good stuff coconut. We had fun last Sunday in the low clouds and rain.

FNBFSig_2a.jpg

#179 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 04 April 2017 - 20:07

Pls can you at some stage publish description of how server works? I have been trying to understand the mechanics but i do not know what to do to help front lines to advance.

Each region has a number of supply depots which are characterized by their storage capacity and their actual fill-up level. Storage capacity can be decreased by destroying dugouts and barracks (the light grey long houses). Damages to these also result in loss of supplies. The supply level determines how many AAA and AT canons the regions has. Supplies are also used to repair destroyed buildings.

Supplies are produced in regions with factories, of which there are three: Klin, Kalinin and Rzhev. Destroying industrial buildings reduces production capacity. Production is not used solely for supplies, it is also used to produce planes and tanks.

Supplies are transferred from region to region by truck convoys or trains, typically from the three regions with factories to the regions at the front.

Each region may have zero, one or more airfields. Similarly to regions, airfields have supply depots, but their functionality is not currently implemented, so I won't expand on this subject. One aspect that has been implemented is plane rosters, the plane types and numbers homed at each airfield. They can be picked by players, flown, and landed back at the airfield or at some other airfields. All this is accounted for at the end of each mission. Important to know is that currently, a plane that is in the air at the end of the mission is lost.

Damages to planes are also taken into account. Landing a plane with 25% damage or less will get this plane repaired back to 100% in the next mission. Below that, it's scrapped and its parts are combined with other scrapped planes to rebuild them. In other words, two planes damaged at 50% will "fuse" into one plane (they have to be the same model).

Regions, and all airfields they possess, are captured by tanks. All tanks that reach a region are counted at the end of the mission, and my software (not the game) simulates a battle, using basically an elaborate dice-throwing mechanism. The battle opposes the incoming tanks with defending tanks and reinforcements (tanks of the defending faction that arrived from other regions). If the invaders are successful, the region is credited with the surviving tanks and the region switches owners. Note that all planes left at the airfields are then captured by the invaders!

All tank columns in movement and convoys in transit are shown to all sides on the map. An AI I've implemented plans before the start of the mission all tank columns (invading ones, reinforcements, and potentially retreating ones too) and supply convoys. As a pilot, you don't control that.

So what can you do as a pilot? It depends how far the current mission has run, and how match time is left.

At the start, that's when all convoys and tank columns execute their plans. Go for them and do your best to destroy them. Note that Bridge destruction is not currently fully effective. You can destroy bridges, but because convoys and tank columns are only actually spawned when there is an enemy nearby, the destroyed bridges will only cause spawned units to drown. If not spawned, the vehicles are travelling "virtually", and this virtual travel does not currently account for destroyed bridges. All active convoys and tanks are marked on the map, visible for all. The location is approximate. It merely indicates the regions of departure and arrival. It's up to you to analyse the road network and look for the convoys.

After a while, all planned convoys and tank columns will have arrived and have been destroyed, and there might still be about 90 minutes left (missions are 2h55 min long). There are still things to do, namely take bombers and attack planes and destroy supply depots. Alternatively, you can also go strafe parked planes on airfields. The destroyed planes will be removed from the following missions. Attacking anti-air canons has limited use. It's good to clear the path for bombers and attackers, but the canons will respawn in the next mission, if the supply level in the region allows. Supply depots become visible on the map for the attacking side when a plane spots them, by flying within 2km of them. Large AAA nests also appear on the map when they are spotted by a plane flying within 10km. AAA nests typically defend supply depots, airfields and factories.

You can also bomb parked tanks, i.e. tanks that are not moving in this mission. These tanks are used during battles to defend the region. Those are not currently marked on the map, but they are very often located near supply depots. Note that parked tanks are modelled as static objects. Their visibility is extremely short, below 1.5km. Don't blame me, it's a game limitation. Tank parks can be identified by the nearby fuel tanks and sheds (large flat grey buildings).

When there is less than 20 minutes left, it's to return to the home airfield. You can also land at a closer front airfield. The plane will be available from there in the next mission. But be careful not to land it at an airfield that is threatened by a tank column. If it's captured during the battle between the missions, it will fall into enemy hands! If your plane is still in the air when the mission ends, it is lost!

Factories have to share their output between tank production, plane production and supplies. If you crash many planes, not only do you handicap your air force, you also hinder reinforcing your ground defences. I'm not going to implement individual plane "garages". If I notice abuse and suspiciously excessive plane crashing, I'll simply make the server private. But don't be afraid to fly here, currently the server is a testing phase, the environment is not a competitive one.

The weather is dynamic. I've implemented a system based on periodic cycles that accounts for atmospheric pressure, temperature, wind strength and turbulence. Temperatures are typically between 0 and 10 degrees Celsius. Starting twin engines can be tricky because engines cool down very quickly, often before the start sequence is over, and you will be probably struggling with engine stalls. Please don't ask me for "warmed up starts", it's already in place. The overcooled engines are a consequence of the engine cooling modelling.

Here is the procedure that I use to reliably start twin engines:

1. Select engine 1
  2. Start engine
  3. Set hand brakes, or keep your feet on the brakes
  4. If it's a German plane, set pitch to manual
  5. Set pitch to 50%, increasing throttle at the same time, up to 45%
  6. Select engine 2, repeat step 5
  7. Select both engines, wait until they reach 40C
  8. I personally like to taxi with manual pitch set to 10%, but you can also set pitch back to automatic if you can taxi that way
  9. Follow usual take-off procedure

OK, I think that's all. Took me one hour to write!

Reinstating the stat page wld be awesome too.

It's back, although somewhat confusingly titled "Coconut normal". But it's counting the campaign stuff at the moment, even though the campaign has icons off.

A little question : does the destruction of empty deposits (dugouts baracks) reduce the storage capacity during the following campaign ? Yesterday i had no time flying to the full main target before end of mission, so i destroyed a close target (only one dugout :wacko: poor skilled pilot !).

Yes, it does that. It reduces capacity and stored supplies.

#180 -LaFrench-bexhausted

-LaFrench-bexhausted
  • Founder

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:01

Thanks a lot Coconut for the recipes !

#181 -LaFrench-bexhausted

-LaFrench-bexhausted
  • Founder

Posted 06 April 2017 - 18:00

Fun mission tonight.

Statics tanks are an interesting challenge !

Love time mission and meteo : not always blue sky.

Thanks for sharing server.

#182 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:01

New version of the software with the following fixes and additions:

• Spotting: icons become visible after 5 minutes, instead of instantaneously
  • Added non-directional beacons (Klin, Kalinin and Rzhev)
  • Added landing fires
  • Fixed searchlights in AA nests (only used in early morning and late evening missions)
  • Fixed supply convoy planning. It affected mostly the axis side, causing under-supplied regions on there
  • Increased overall plane numbers (5 times as much as before)
  • Planes can be returned, i.e. if you cancel a flight or land back at the starting airfield without damage, the plane is available again in the same mission
  • Added wind socks
  • Briefing now includes info about date, time and air temperature

As a result, campaign was restarted

#183 sinned

sinned

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:10

Hi Coconut,
I am very excited to see additional features on this dynamic campaign.
I presume it may be difficult to run two servers while main server is still being developed and fix.
That said, what are your plans and timelune for normal servers?
I wld love to fly here...

#184 216th_Retnek

216th_Retnek
  • Founder

Posted 10 April 2017 - 17:08

New version of the software with the following fixes and additions:

• Spotting: icons become visible after 5 minutes, instead of instantaneously

Working fine

• Added non-directional beacons (Klin, Kalinin and Rzhev)

Haven't noticed the one in Rzhev

• Added landing fires

Not visible at Rzhev, Klimovo and Staritsa

• Fixed searchlights in AA nests (only used in early morning and late evening missions)

VERY good, AA no longer is blind in twilight and it adds a lot to immersion, working fine at 611,3

• Increased overall plane numbers (5 times as much as before)

Very good, much more options during the test phase and it's always a good thing to do a ferry-flight when missions end in 15 min

I wasn't able to find the tank barracks - there was a structure (larger white factory hall / hangar & two huts) looking very much like it, but 2 x 500 kg had no effect in statistics. Maybe I have to search more - looking forward!

Edited by 216th_Retnek, 10 April 2017 - 17:08.

#185 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 10 April 2017 - 21:11

Thanks for your report Retnek! The bug about missing landing fires should now be fixed. The non-directional beacon at Rzhev I have tested before, it would be surprising if it stopped working, but I'll double check. It's also possible a vandal destroyed it.

My apologies to the people who were online this evening. I saw you, decided to join you, but just before doing so I updated the software on the server, and in the process I accidentally started a second instance of DServer, which caused the first instance to stop working. Then I did something that corrupted the campaign state, which prevented me from restarting the server immediately. It took me an hour to get back everything in order.

A new feature is that destroying AAA and AT guns also depletes the region's storage (a little bit). That means that repeatedly strafing canons can wear out a region's defences. This is benefit is in addition to the already existing one, namely that a destroyed canon does not respawn in the current mission.

@sinned

I've bought a Rift, and I think I'll bring back the icons on the server. In parallel I can run the campaign with the current settings (no icons, no GPS) if there is a demand. But I don't think I'll update the software for both at the same frequency. A couple of times a week for the one I play on (likely icons, when the new version comes out), and once a week or less for the secondary one.

#186 sinned

sinned

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:35

Thanks a lot coconut. I am very eager to make progress on ur dynamic campaign server as i am playing a sp (where ppl join in) rather than a mp.

Question - what does beacon do?

I am just waiting for ppl's comment b4 picking up a vr post update.

Very exciting times for me.

#187 Mesha44

Mesha44

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:30

Sinned, 

The beacon is a radio that allows you to find your way back to your airfield.  Not all aircraft have the receiver and is some it may be an option you have to add.  When enabled it adds a gauge to your cockpit that tells you if your current course is left or right of the direct line to the airfield.

#188 216th_Retnek

216th_Retnek
  • Founder

Posted 19 April 2017 - 00:28

Hi Coconut, short feedback:

- blue airfields now have fires, I'm waiting for the next night phase ;-)

- found the tanks near the depot, bombed some and earned points for them

- nice field positions along the front line, should be difficult to overwhelm esp. for the weak tanks of blue attackers

- AA still strong, but less less deadly - you reduced their over-human aiming? Or is it my growing ability to keep a good distance?

- some red elements were placed in forests - spread columns at their destination or randomly placed field positions?

Nice to see the development!

#189 coconut

coconut
  • Founder

Posted 19 April 2017 - 16:42

Hi Coconut, short feedback:

- blue airfields now have fires, I'm waiting for the next night phase ;-)

- found the tanks near the depot, bombed some and earned points for them

- nice field positions along the front line, should be difficult to overwhelm esp. for the weak tanks of blue attackers

- AA still strong, but less less deadly - you reduced their over-human aiming? Or is it my growing ability to keep a good distance?

- some red elements were placed in forests - spread columns at their destination or randomly placed field positions?

Nice to see the development!

I haven't changed anything about AA. It's just you getting better :)

Can you tell me the area where soviets were hiding in trees? They are not supposed to, but I might have misplaced some areas.

#190 216th_Retnek

216th_Retnek
  • Founder

Posted 19 April 2017 - 22:13

Can you tell me the area where soviets were hiding in trees? They are not supposed to, but I might have misplaced some areas.

I'm quite sure it has been W of Emel'yanovo, 0610,3 or 0611,1. There was an anti-tank-guns position and a bit away some dots in the forrests ... but Reds always hide in the woods, it's their sneaky nature, you might not be able to change it! :ph34r:

#191 4./JG52_Neun

4./JG52_Neun
  • Founder

Posted 20 April 2017 - 17:35

Excellent stuff Coconut. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

toplogosac.png

botlogosac.png            

ComeCheck Us Out!

#192 Viri-SPAINViri

Viri-SPAINViri

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:53

Hello everyone....
Same is not the best place to ask this ..

But,

Someone could tell me where I can download multiplayer missions to put them in c: Program Files (x86) \ Steam .... \ data \ missions, and to be able to play them with my friends .....

And how to create a private server ... ??

Thank you very much and I feel my english

#193 Mesha44

Mesha44

Posted Today, 09:44

Hello Viri, 

check this link to the thread on mission editing and multiplayer server manual, that should get you going.

https://forum.il2stu...-server-manual/

#194 1./KG4_Odessa

1./KG4_Odessa
  • Founder

Posted Today, 09:50

Hello Coconut

Me an Retnek took a small trip over to a Airbase to attack it. But forgot that the Airbase was Close to a good defend  city,  it had a good defend . We was only 3000M ,we drop the Bombs Do not know if we hit targes The anti-aircraft guns was after us an We just think about getting away but a fun trip . I got home safe no fuel left The last 3 min to landing. Retnek He lost a wing long way home 

I hope you can fix the start engine process. Cold engine one day !

Thnaks for put the He 111 on your host   :)

Edited by 1./KG4_Odessa, Today, 11:51.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users