coconut

Coconut's server

Strange. Made a perfect 3 pt landing but not avail next. Hence i asked.

Anyway this is going to be a kick ass server.

Transferred planes are only available in the next mission. The 25% damage thing is different. If you transfer a plane damaged with more than 25%, only the healthy part is transferred. Less than that and 100% of the plane is transferred. In other words, transferring a 10% damaged plane is like transferring a 0% damaged one.

If the miaaion ended and your plane is still in the air, shouldn't it count as landed and in service?

If the miaaion ended and your plane is still in the air, shouldn't it count as landed and in service?

At the moment it's counted as a loss. Gotta be back on time!

I'm not really pleased with that, maybe I'll change it and return the plane to the starting base if it hasn't taken damage.

It's also a problem with disconnects, the plane goes missing as it is now.

On unrelated news, I've added AI fighter patrols today. There's 4 on each side, marked on the map. They respawn after 60 minutes. If you kill one, his part of the sky will remain clear until reinforcements arrive.

On the down side, they may disappear on you if you are nearby when the respawn happens.

Just for clarification... related to your fighter patrols. It was stated that "If you kill one, his part of the sky will remain clear until reinforcements arrive." That infers that the AI fighter patrols are 'single' craft. Is that correct? :salute:

Questions

Q  Is there a SERVER'S STATISTICS PAGE 

Q: Are there recon pictures of the Airfield targets + Factory ? 

FINNISH VIRTUAL have it under the FAQ  It's more fun to plan a Bombing mission run with He -111  +  88 that way ,an use maybe ( Il-2 Mission Planner )

It is not easy that you first know about  the Targes 1 min before you are there . Should I have gone to right or left :)

Just some picture on Airfield + City targets From my HQ :)

But good work with yours server  :salute:

Edited by 1./KG4_Odessa

So if I take some pics from high level one day off the Airfield you can use them an put them on your Server stats  FAQ ?

:biggrin: They spotted me too late 4000 M  Airfield attack  got 4 targes  an got home again Night drop  :biggrin:

..........The AI plane was close but did not see me  :)  

149363587144590800_resized.jpg

Edited by 1./KG4_Odessa

Nice stats page, kind of makes me want to be more careful.  I love the concept of your mission, it's great fun.

Thanks.

New tank park should be easier to see from far away. The tanks themselves only appear when you get within 1km.

post-31381-0-39478700-1494231715_thumb.png

A couple of screenshots from my first test.

attachicon.gif2016_5_23__8_21_34.jpgattachicon.gif2016_5_23__8_22_34.jpgattachicon.gif2016_5_23__8_24_48.jpg

attachicon.gif2016_5_23__8_24_52.jpgattachicon.gif2016_5_23__8_27_2.jpg

Convoys are easy to find, thanks to icons:

attachicon.gif2016_5_23__8_27_42.jpg

But they are hard to hit:

attachicon.gif2016_5_23__8_29_56.jpg

And a video showing how convoys scatter when an enemy plane attacks:

Salutations,

Scattering convoy? Outstanding!

Was there a mission command implemented to get them to perform thusly?  Or is this normal AI conduct? :salute:

Was there a mission command implemented to get them to perform thusly? Or is this normal AI conduct?

There is a mission command for that, it's "formation - panic stop". The difficulty is in tweaking it so that they scatter at the right time and then form up again. And then there is also the problem of the scattering into the water when crossing a bridge, meaning I had to add some logic to avoid that.

Those IL2s parked at Migalovo though seemed to be indestructible to my .50 cals.

You are doing damage even if you don't see it. Anyway, I can probably lower their durability some more, I just need to find the right value.

hello Coconut!

A little bug : i chose Kalinin airfield, selected a Pe2 then clicked on start.

And my gunner spoke to me in German !

I immediatly killed him but i stayed on Axis side (on player list ).

Sadly i crashed my plane so i don' t know if my bombs would give me a friendly fire on german dugouts  :wacko:

Next time i 'll choose swiss side. :biggrin:

See you soon !

Edited by -LaFrench-bexhausted
  • Upvote 1

I too was on for a while, had fun in the russian open cockpit thingy, tried my hand at flying a pe2 but only span around in circles, got kicked for the update and hopped back on to fly the open pit again and got so engrossed on a ground target I essentially ploughed into it.

Fun!

May I ask why  the Yak1 is not available as a choice?

@bex: Kalinin was captured by the Germans. The pe2 was a captured one, flown by a German crew. I have made some changes so that planes get destroyed during an airfield capture, and in the future there should be fewer of these.

@orlok: I am no historian, but I believe the yak wasn't present in the battle of Moscow

• Upvote 1

I have been trying to connect to your teamspeak server, is it no longer running.  I cannot get connected.

The pe2 was a captured one, flown by a German crew.

Ok ! Copy.

So it was not a nightmare. I was just a German but i did'nt know.

Fortunately I committed suicide by crashing my plane. Otherwise I would have been shot for killing my gunner.  :P

Best regards

Hi Coconut,

Loving flying in your server especially during night. Search lights popping up as i approach enemy area bring unbelievable excitement and immersion.

That said there are a lot of lost souls who are lookinh for normal campaign servers. Please be our savior!

• Upvote 1

I have been trying to connect to your teamspeak server, is it no longer running. I cannot get connected.

It's not running at the moment.

That said there are a lot of lost souls who are lookinh for normal campaign servers. Please be our savior!

There are icons now. Is there something else you would like to have?

I know you would like the bombing aim, but I dislike that feature.

Automatic engine management does not work on that map when the temps are realistically set below 10C. I tried it once and I could not move the throttle past 30% or so, not enough to take off, not enough to warm up the engine.

Sinned, I normally play on normal as well, but had to try Coconut's campaign out since it sounded so cool.   I think I have the IL-2 and I-16's down.  I have also flown the P-40 a few times.  I am certainly not getting the most out of them, but I don't have any overheating issues if I set the radiators up ahead of time and mind the max rpm and manifold pressure.  It's not as hard as it sounds.

Sinned, I normally play on normal as well, but had to try Coconut's campaign out since it sounded so cool. I think I have the IL-2 and I-16's down. I have also flown the P-40 a few times. I am certainly not getting the most out of them, but I don't have any overheating issues if I set the radiators up ahead of time and mind the max rpm and manifold pressure. It's not as hard as it sounds.

Yes, engine mgmt, no ext view, id planes, and even navigating wo gps is no issue for me. I also play expert servers but never enjoyed bombing in expert as i am limited to carpet bomb with only bomb sight.

To knock out a field, i would have to make 3 to 4 sorties. Thats about 4 hrs. Hard to make a dent in a campaign.

Coconut is right. The key feature I am looking for is bomb reticule. This is because it makes every enemy bomber very deadly to let them pass.

In random normal, I was one of the first active flyer. I was the only one flying for weeks until hordes of vvs flyers came.

I was solo but slowly made axis to advance in the stat page. Vvs guys were really out to change the course of campaign.

Bomb ret increased the accuracy and efficiency of bombing and it resulted each and every bomber run counted. I saw more axis bombers to join as days went on. Hide and seek pursued and soon axis guys started to join as fighters to repel increasing number of vvs fighters. Vvs also started to bomb to push the axis line back.

Random normal had 8-14 on regular days until server got bugs and went down.

I am hoping Coconut can continue the legacy by making individual bombers more deadly.

;) Just a trial one month pls.

Bombers can be deadly without aiming aids, but in any case I am not aiming for having individual players be able to turn the tables by themselves, all in one bombing run.

Server is back online with a fresh campaign. I have changed the way AI patrols work. They are now spawned as needed, as opposed to being constantly in the air. Of interest to me is people testing that by letting me know if they encountered AI patrols (composed i16, p40, mig, bf109, mc202). The AI attackers (ju87, bf110, il2) are behaving as before.

Remaining on the TODO list:

• Bomber payloads restricted by logistics: destroy airfield storage or intercept convoys and heavy bomb loadouts won't be available at the affected airfield
  • Bridges as targets: Destroying bridges cuts supply routes to the front (temporarily)
  • Transport missions: Ju52 used to resupply airfields, give an attack/defense bonus to regions under attack
  • Supply by ships: Let waterways be used for transferring supplies to the front
  • After-action reports on the web: See how your actions during a mission affect the progress of the campaign
  • Commander interface: Currently the "generals" are AIs. Let selected humans take the commands instead
Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 2

Roger that. Understood.

I look forward to continued development of the server. I am also looking forward to expansion of plane set. This is very nice.

If you need a bomber bait for vvs fighters, you know where to fine one!

Coconut,

Are there any plans to add AAA vehicles to the tank and truck convoys.  Especially the tanks near the front seem pretty defenseless even if they are hard to kill.

Boring news, SSD of the server with the OS died. Obviously server is offline. Not sure when it will be back up. Need to reinstall the OS, the game, all my tools... Not how I envisioned spending my evening :(

Poor boy, restore steady and slowly, 30 min a day!

... And then create a disc image ...

Server is back online. All my stuff and the game are on another disk, that saved me some reinstalling and configuring hassle. With the exception of the stats database :( All your heroic feats and embarrassing crashes on take off are lost for ever, I'm afraid.

The slowness of the OS running from a HD makes me crazy though. I don't know how people who haven't moved to SSDs can bear it... Nice thing is that intel has a 5 year warranty on their SSDs and I should be covered.

• Upvote 1

... With the exception of the stats database :( All your heroic feats and embarrassing crashes on take off are lost for ever, I'm afraid.

WHAT!? Coconut, you're kidding? I mean, it's nice it's up again, really nice, but ... ( :P:good: )

Sorry to hear about your dive failure but am glad any hosyory of my failures is gone!

Look forward to flying on it soon.

I feel confirmed in my scepticism about SSDs, though....

You're conservative to the bone, old man! Decelerate is very much needed in Real Life, but no good for harddisks!

To honor the old Coconut-server a few screenshots, flying for real man :P  - you only get it at Coconuts:

post-1187-0-07246800-1494685458_thumb.jpg

A weather you won't send the dog out of the door, but ...

post-1187-0-98990800-1494685470_thumb.jpg

here is a column doomed alone against the Red AT-positions

post-1187-0-06491400-1494685485_thumb.jpg

while checking out the AT-positions some storage sites showed up, dropped

post-1187-0-77461900-1494685502_thumb.jpg

and some ammo is gone, some more for the AT-guns

post-1187-0-68912900-1494685515_thumb.jpg

but it's too late, they got our tanks on the bridge.

post-1187-0-50228500-1494685525_thumb.jpg

Haven't changed light or darkness, pictures should be clicked. VERY difficult to line up and be straight and level when dropping the bombs. To find that place, find the column and the village (searchlight) might have been possible without the object-markers. But finding and attacking the AT-positions in full real with that kind of weather - no chance.

Very nice the Red AA wasn't firing mostly as my gunners were hampered by the darkness and bad weather, too. This aspect is well done in Il2-BoX.

• Upvote 1

Server is back online. All my stuff and the game are on another disk, that saved me some reinstalling and configuring hassle. With the exception of the stats database :( All your heroic feats and embarrassing crashes on take off are lost for ever, I'm afraid.

The slowness of the OS running from a HD makes me crazy though. I don't know how people who haven't moved to SSDs can bear it... Nice thing is that intel has a 5 year warranty on their SSDs and I should be covered.

The slower the system the more time for thinking :)

Are there any plans to add AAA vehicles to the tank and truck convoys. Especially the tanks near the front seem pretty defenseless even if they are hard to kill.

AAA vehicles in convoys and convoys are a planned feature. I just haven't got around to implementing it yet.

@@216th_Retnek Nice pics! The last one shows a nice improvement to the AI by the devs: trucks no longer jump off bridges to avoid burning wrecks. They stop and wait for the wrecks to despawn ("being pushed off the bridge") instead. Actually I'm not sure about the second part, as they tend to get destroyed by the attackers as they become easy preys once stopped.

Edited by coconut