coconut

Coconut's server

Biggest chance to catch me online is on Sunday afternoon/evening, but I don't really have a schedule. These days I'm taking it easy with my computer time, trying to exercise more and sleep better. I'm getting old :mellow:

Coconut, quick question. do you use a laptop at home as a server or an external service for hosting your server? Just trying to find a cheap solution without tying up my home service.

I use a dedicated PC on my home internet connection. It's 100Mb/s up and down, and DServer seems pretty happy with 10Mb/s, leaving plenty for watching cat videos and playing games.

Servers are down. They need new missions to stay "fresh", and right now I don't have the time or inspiration to make new ones. They'll probably be back next year. I'm looking forward to the day when true coop missions are available.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 1

Servers are down. They need new missions to stay "fresh", and right now I don't have the time or inspiration to make new ones. They'll probably be back next year. I'm looking forward to the day when true coop missions are available.

Or for a few days in the spirit of holidays...you could host my Moscow mission and see if anyone actually shows up. I really haven't had feedback on whether it can handle 40-50 people under current dserver. Which might improve under dx11... The mission is available in the "MP community sharing bucket" thread in the first post. I also linked below to it if thread is not easily found.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44387240/Moscow_Winter_033_fullmap.zip

Coconut, don't feel any need to do so, I was just throwing it out there. No issues. Regards.

Edited by Smok

Sorry Smok, I forgot about your mission. It's unlikely you'll get 40 players on my server though, it's usually fewer people than that.

Anyway, the server is back online until friday 16/12. New mission in test "Staritsa". It features the new "spotter plane" feature introduced recently. There's also quite a few AIs in the air. It's primarily meant for the normal mode and features airstarts, but it's also running on the expert server.

When the Junkers 52 comes out, you need a mission with 2-3 flights of Ju52s dropping paratroopers and supplies, with a 2nd wave dropping more troops and supplies, with a final wave landing at a captured airfield to deploy AT guns. Then, the Red Army counterattacks with 3-4 T-34s and dozens of BT-7s or T-70s.

If you need motivation, try watching the movie "a bridge too far".

"Coconut NORMAL" is now offline. I have a feeling it's not really needed, now that DED Random Normal is there. If there's some interest in having it up let me know and I'll start it again.

"Coconut EXPERT" is currently running a new mission dedicated to the Ju52. Check it out!

post-31381-0-50772500-1484072373_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-04032700-1484072379_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-76151400-1484072383_thumb.jpg

post-31381-0-20696300-1484072389_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-30144300-1484072395_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-72385100-1484072401_thumb.jpg

post-31381-0-14422600-1484072407_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-83076400-1484072412_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-73576100-1484072427_thumb.jpg

post-31381-0-01890900-1484072432_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-32182300-1484072436_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-52848800-1484072441_thumb.jpg

post-31381-0-43729500-1484072448_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-65121500-1484072452_thumb.jpgpost-31381-0-88072000-1484072456_thumb.jpg

Note: No GPS!

• Upvote 2

I've updated the Ju52 mission: I fixed a bug causing excessive snow brightness on the Velikie-Luki map, and added a bit of life (trains, convoys).

Expert server is now running a rotation of 12 missions, going back to "Stukas over Stalingrad". No GPS, bring your compasses!

Normal server is running 5 missions designed for quick fun: Two one-hour missions with airspawns, and the three tank missions on the moscow map that I have been running the recent months.

Great server coconut! Does it have a stats page?

Regards

Thanks!

No, no stats page. I don't care much about stats myself, but if there's a public outcry in favour of having them, I might take 5 minutes to install them.

+1 stat page! I used to fly in your server and having a stat page will infuse a campaign feel to it.

I will fly in normal.

Edited by sinned

Yes +1 stats as well, I do think they add to a server.

For me it is nice to have a record of how well (or bad) I have done/doing :)

I would prefer a normal server, but I do not have a joystick(hoping to get one soon) so I cannot play in your server anymore.

but I do not have a joystick(hoping to get one soon) so I cannot play in your server anymore

The normal server has mousejoy enabled.

+1 for stats as well

I'll install them. Actually already installed for the Normal server, but I have to modify my server control software, as it interferes with the stats collection. I'm hopeful I'll be done with that in the coming days.

Hi coco, do u plan to enable bomb reticule for normal server and no limits on bomb loadout?

I use 3 monitor and currently bomb sight is not supported for 3 monitors...

Edited by sinned

On the bomb loadouts, no, I don't plan on removing that restriction. If there is a certain loadout you would like to have you can suggest it, but I basically don't want Germans dropping 2ton bombs on tanks from airspawns that are 5 minutes away from the battlefield. I know the T34 is ridiculously tough, but I'm not going to counter that with ridiculous loadouts.

The bomb reticule I am not a big fan of, but the triple-monitor issue you mention is a real one. I'll enable the reticule and see how/if people react.

EDIT: Bombing reticule is already enabled. I seem to remember bug reports about the bombing reticule not being enabled when it should in 2.006.

Edited by coconut

Superstar coconut. Thank you.

I usually fly bombers and it is almost impossible to use bomb sight when it is truncated 1/3 literally.

It should also attract other normal bombers. Yeah.

Pls dont remove it for now.

On other servers bombing rets work ok. I will try again. Thank you.

Coconut, I host the server for the WingWalkers.  They have been jumping on your Normal server occasionally on Tuesday, but the days they run their own server, they would like to have stats.

Could you tell me "step by step" how you changed the Server Name on the stats web page?   Vaal tells me to do it thru the admin panel, but I don't have a clue how to open up the admin panel.

Can't seem to access the stats web page outside my network either.....localhost:8080 works. but xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080 will not.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Duck

Could you tell me "step by step" how you changed the Server Name on the stats web page? Vaal tells me to do it thru the admin panel, but I don't have a clue how to open up the admin panel.

You have to log in. Use the account and password that you created when you ran install.cmd. From then on, the admin panel will be accessible in the stats site, and it should be pretty straightforward from then on.

The servers will be offline for a little while, before they return with new missions in the near future.

Yes I have, it's a side project of mine beside regular mission development. But it's going to be a while before I have anything to show. What I have in mind is to focus less on supporting large number of players, and more on using the AI in the missions. It would probably work best when the coop mode is implemented in BoK.

Salutations,

To me, this is a very welcomed prospect.

Coconut, I have found with the latest update that if I host a mission from my second computer, with tick delay of 2-3ms, cpu usage with no spikes around 10-20% on the single thread and I still get really noticeable hang ups every few seconds randomly where frames drop to 40fps from 60fps just for a moment. Do you see anything similar?

Coconut, I have found with the latest update that if I host a mission from my second computer, with tick delay of 2-3ms, cpu usage with no spikes around 10-20% on the single thread and I still get really noticeable hang ups every few seconds randomly where frames drop to 40fps from 60fps just for a moment. Do you see anything similar?

Just to be clear, you notice frame drops on the client? No, I don't notice that, but it could be a problem with the mission. I noticed that updating the icons on the map (enabling/disabling some) would cause a freeze, even at low tick delay values.

I noticed the drops in the game on another computer. However, I tested 735 active AA and one plane on a clean map with 10ms delay, 90% cpu usage. Smooth as silk. What had previously is 30 active AA and 50 checkzones and timers, 2ms delay and stutters. The problems seems like something with the zones or timers as of right now.

Edited by TunaEatsLion

Just to be clear, you notice frame drops on the client? No, I don't notice that, but it could be a problem with the mission. I noticed that updating the icons on the map (enabling/disabling some) would cause a freeze, even at low tick delay values.

Are you talking about a freeze where the map isn't updated anymore (e.g. player plane icon stuck in place) and the dserver stops producing logs? This is what we have from time to time on our server, despite low tick delay.

The problems seems like something with the zones or timers as of right now.

I can imagine checkzone being costly. I have a map with lots of (inactive) vehicles. After adding CZ set to trigger on enemy vehicles, my tick delay went through the roof (30ms). I think the cost of check zone and proximity that are not tied to specific instances via object links can be "number of CZ x number of instances.". If it's not done already, the devs could optimize this using space partitioning schemes, e.g. octrees.

I solved the problem by not letting my CZ be active all the time. Every minute I activate them for a short while (less than 1 second), then deactivate them again. That way they require less than 1/60 the cpu power they normally require, for no visible loss of functionality. For CZ with big radius, there is no need to check 50 times per second if something just entered.

Timers should not be a big issue. I routinely have thousands of those in script-generated missions, seems to be working fine.

However, I tested 735 active AA and one plane on a clean map with 10ms delay, 90% cpu usage. Smooth as silk

That surprises me, I have to say. I would expect that AA has implicit CZ of their own. They too must check if a plane is nearby, just as CZ. Maybe they don't do it constantly, similarly to my saving scheme I described above.

Are you talking about a freeze where the map isn't updated anymore (e.g. player plane icon stuck in place) and the dserver stops producing logs? This is what we have from time to time on our server, despite low tick delay.

No, that problem I've never had. Not enough players on my server to get into that kind of problem.

Edited by coconut

The servers will be offline for a little while, before they return with new missions in the near future.

What a return, dear Coconut - that's a lot of war in a nutshell ( :P ) - will have to have several closer looks into this! Rain, lot's of, flying low below grey sky, here's some reason why one should be familiar with flying a standard curve at a fixed height - difficult to search for targets when trapped between ground and low clouds. Next to the naturally nature there are moving supply and attack columns, trains etc - all part of a dynamic war with linked events to conquer areas, wow!  :o:

Some good reasons now for flying an armed recon first - btw: next to a given set of targets (detected "off-phase" and already present at mission-start) I'd love to see that feature again where one finds additional targets by passing next to them, best presented on the map, too. Anyhow, this server is a surprise, a remarkable relaunch! :thank_you:

Thanks Retnek!

I just looked at the server and found a clear weather. Blue skies, no clouds. The Germans have conquered half of the territory during the night, so did the Russians. The server is completely overloaded, I'll have to check what's causing it. Still some work to do!

I hopped in the server yesterday wanting to try things out.

When I switched sides though, the colors of the targets switched each time. They were always the reverse color of the settings I have in my game which was Red-Russian.

Also, what did the lines on the map mean?

For icons, red means enemy, blue means friendly. Not my decision, that's what the game gives you when you set the icon type, i.e. "attack convoy"/"cover convoy". When you switch side, the convoys to attack and to cover are swapped, naturally. It may work differently on other servers because some mission makers choose to abuse the attack and cover terminology to mean allies and axis, respectively, but I personally don't like to go that way.

The lines are region borders, but I'll rework that part, it's currently confusing everybody except myself.

In other news, I restarted the campaign yesterday after fixing a few bugs. The Russians received over 300000 P40s during the night, and lost over 100000 medium tanks meanwhile. They then launched attacks with over 100 T34s towards the Axis lines, which brought the server to its knees. Command on both sides also scheduled truck convoys with negative amounts of trucks, that was also causing weird things.

I hope all this is fixed, but don't be surprised if campaigns get reset often the coming week, it's still WIP

For icons, red means enemy, blue means friendly. Not my decision, that's what the game gives you when you set the icon type, i.e. "attack convoy"/"cover convoy". When you switch side, the convoys to attack and to cover are swapped, naturally. It may work differently on other servers because some mission makers choose to abuse the attack and cover terminology to mean allies and axis, respectively, but I personally don't like to go that way.

The lines are region borders, but I'll rework that part, it's currently confusing everybody except myself.

In other news, I restarted the campaign yesterday after fixing a few bugs. The Russians received over 300000 P40s during the night, and lost over 100000 medium tanks meanwhile. They then launched attacks with over 100 T34s towards the Axis lines, which brought the server to its knees. Command on both sides also scheduled truck convoys with negative amounts of trucks, that was also causing weird things.

I hope all this is fixed, but don't be surprised if campaigns get reset often the coming week, it's still WIP

Cool, thanks!

Hopefully I will get a chance to really give it a go tonight