coconut

Coconut's server

These missions look great, can anyone come in and play, or only Squadrons?

I like how your missions seem to be based around ground objectives instead of the constant dogfight servers.

Great server & thank you for hosting Coconut!

Me and some friends hopped on last night and played the Krasno tank capture mission. It was great fun. Only issue we saw was that some of the ships from the volga were 'sailing' on land just outside of Krasno.

Just tried the Battle near Kalach mission on the server, great job with the AI planes! I actually got jumped by a 109 in the darkness, but fortunately my Il 2 survived. Also, the infantry battle was nice too, just wish that there were a few AT gun lines near the tank bases to oppose the horde of T-70s.

I played the attack on Mozhaisk map and took out the Railway at Dorohovo. 70 ground kills and got shot down 3 times by the AA and I-16s patrolling the area. The AI seems very good at it's job, much better than the Campaign AI, great work, and thanks for running this server.

However, the mission ends without the German attack taking place at all,and thus the City of Mozhaisk was not captured, despite me destroying Dorohovo Railway station and a message appearing that stated that the Germans had capture tank base 1.

I.e., the ground assault that is mentioned in the briefing never occured. The OKH must have cancelled the attack and forgot to tell us☺

I.e., the ground assault that is mentioned in the briefing never occured. The OKH must have cancelled the attack and forgot to tell us☺

That or the tanks got stuck in a hay stack on the way to their objective. Battles are lost and won on seemingly insignificant details, sometime :unsure:

Also I had an idea for a new map. Jan 1943, the Russian team must take 2 villages. They will have 6 waves of T-34s. The German defenses will be able to kill the first 3 waves, if the Soviets are not supported. If the Soviets break through, a large group of Panzer 3s counterattack, causing a large tank battle. The Russian objective would be to destroy the German AT gun positions(75mms and 50mms), which are strong enough to kill the first few 3 waves, but will eventually be overrun, and destroy a Bridge to prevent the Germans from couterattacking. The Germans just need to provide air cover and can attack the tanks to help the defense. Should the Germans fail to kill all 6 waves, the Russians will advance and take both villages.

Planes would be 25 Laggs, 10 Yaks,5 La-5s,25 il-2s, and 10 PE-2s, and the Germans should get 25 Stukas, 30 Me 109 G2s, 25 Me110s, and 10 FW190s.

Good idea, or a crackpot one?

I have just tried the Kransno map. Everything is very nice except that the Russian tanks got stuck in a traffic jam and blew up as they hit each other at high speed. Also, the Russians have coined the terms "Naval Troops" and "land battleship" rather well, I must say. Had great fun sinking the boats with the Stukas. Thanks for hosting.

Oh, is that what happened?

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I tested the logic of the German AI tank spawn mechanism and it worked. But of course, the test was in a simplified setting, I can't just spend 1h every test run playing the mission and try all combinations, so bugs happen. But it's also very common that the AI behaves in different ways in different runs of the same mission, and they can run into all kinds of trouble.

Also I had an idea for a new map. Jan 1943, the Russian team must take 2 villages. They will have 6 waves of T-34s. The German defenses will be able to kill the first 3 waves, if the Soviets are not supported. If the Soviets break through, a large group of Panzer 3s counterattack, causing a large tank battle. The Russian objective would be to destroy the German AT gun positions(75mms and 50mms), which are strong enough to kill the first few 3 waves, but will eventually be overrun, and destroy a Bridge to prevent the Germans from couterattacking. The Germans just need to provide air cover and can attack the tanks to help the defense. Should the Germans fail to kill all 6 waves, the Russians will advance and take both villages.

Planes would be 25 Laggs, 10 Yaks,5 La-5s,25 il-2s, and 10 PE-2s, and the Germans should get 25 Stukas, 30 Me 109 G2s, 25 Me110s, and 10 FW190s.

Good idea, or a crackpot one?

Good idea, I actually built a mission around that idea, "Velikie Luki Rush" where waves of German tanks attack Russian villages. There were three waves, and the last wave was a tank battle on the ground. The problem is that making an interesting tank battle with AIs is a lot of work, and it's something people in the air will never notice, especially if there are multiple people in the server and they are busy fighting with each other. That kind of stuff is better suited for single-player missions. Or maybe for coop missions, for which the game has limited support at the moment, but it's coming in the future.

I have just tried the Kransno map. Everything is very nice except that the Russian tanks got stuck in a traffic jam and blew up as they hit each other at high speed. Also, the Russians have coined the terms "Naval Troops" and "land battleship" rather well, I must say. Had great fun sinking the boats with the Stukas. Thanks for hosting.

Someone else reported ships going into land. Do you know exactly where it was? Was it the big cargo ship, or the smaller artillery ships in groups of three close to the city? Where did they go into land?

Also, I got chute-killed by the AI ships☺

Yes, there are multiple ways to get AIs to attack air targets, and the simplest one will shoot parachutes too. It's a bit lazy from my part to pick the simplest method, but considering the amount of stuff I have in my missions, every bit that helps keep complexity down is bowl of fresh air for me.

Someone else reported ships going into land. Do you know exactly where it was? Was it the big cargo ship, or the smaller artillery ships in groups of three close to the city? Where did they go into land?

It was two waves - of artillery gunboats. One of them, was a solitary gunboat coming from the SE heading NW. If I recall correctly it was about 5-10km SE of Krasno and heading NW.

Another wave of two arty gunboats were heading SE, and 'sailed' just NE of Krasno, making any ground attack with the stukas around Krasno suicide due to the heavy flak. I wish I could give you more detail in a map, but this is all from memory. I hope it helps! 

• Upvote 1

Coconut-

Got a chance to fly a few sorties on your "Coconut expert" server over the weekend and it was a blast! It was a dusk mission and the sun soon set so I was running around in 110 night fighter. Lots of fun picking off Pe-2s over the German advanced airfield. 

I really loved all the action you included on the ground, it really added to some immersion and made it feel like I was flying over a real frontline! The mess of tracers at night was beautiful. I was drawn like a moth to a flame and ended up getting jumped in my distraction  :lol:

Good stuff!

It was two waves - of artillery gunboats. One of them, was a solitary gunboat coming from the SE heading NW. If I recall correctly it was about 5-10km SE of Krasno and heading NW.

Another wave of two arty gunboats were heading SE, and 'sailed' just NE of Krasno, making any ground attack with the stukas around Krasno suicide due to the heavy flak. I wish I could give you more detail in a map, but this is all from memory. I hope it helps! 

Thanks for the info Kondor! I'll try to find another path for these boats.

Coconut-

Got a chance to fly a few sorties on your "Coconut expert" server over the weekend and it was a blast! It was a dusk mission and the sun soon set so I was running around in 110 night fighter. Lots of fun picking off Pe-2s over the German advanced airfield. 

I really loved all the action you included on the ground, it really added to some immersion and made it feel like I was flying over a real frontline! The mess of tracers at night was beautiful. I was drawn like a moth to a flame and ended up getting jumped in my distraction  :lol:

Good stuff!

Glad you liked it!

It was a few small gunboats with the T-34 turrets. I sank the large transport so I have no idea where it goes. The superior Soviet engineering came ashore close to the city. They then sailed through a forest somewhere and some reached the city.

Thanks for bringing your normal server back on-line...I like how you have it setup....Am surprised that I was the only one on....The EU normal to me is just a Dogfight server....you give bombers and attack A/C a fighting chance with their icons off....Thanks again from someone who is not yet an expert.

• Upvote 1

I just wanted to post a Thank You to Coconut for putting up the normal server.  I am just now trying to start playing online so this is a nice way to transition.

Salute!

Thanks for bringing your normal server back on-line...I like how you have it setup....Am surprised that I was the only one on....The EU normal to me is just a Dogfight server....you give bombers and attack A/C a fighting chance with their icons off....Thanks again from someone who is not yet an expert.

Glag you are liking the idea, I hope more mission makers will pick up on it.

I just wanted to post a Thank You to Coconut for putting up the normal server.  I am just now trying to start playing online so this is a nice way to transition.

Salute!

Happy to see the normal server is getting a bit of attention from players. I'll make a few more missions in the same spirit in the coming weeks I think.

Coconut, are there any new missions coming? Thanks for hosting this server, it is one of a kind. All it needs to be perfect is a larger playbase and more missions. I will see if I can learn how to use the mission builder in the school holidays, and hopefully create some new missions.

Naval warfare...

Nice map ;)

although i noticed some light slowdowns near the bigger groups of ai...

and to me it looked like its pretty hard for axis team to take last point ,because you have to fight through  a city ...

By the way, on the attack on Istra map, we are unable to select the 500 Ib mounted on the centre pylon and 2 250 Ib bombs mounted on the wings. Also, there seem to be no Anti-Tank guns on the route to Istra.

we are unable to select the 500 Ib mounted on the centre pylon and 2 250 Ib bombs mounted on the wings

On what plane?

Also, there seem to be no Anti-Tank guns on the route to Istra.

There are. Maybe the 110s and the tanks took them out?

I have added a second tank mission on the Moscow map (the one from where the "naval warfare shots" above were taken)

• Same principle, 2 x 2 + 1 tank spawns.
  • The cloud layer was raised from 500m to 1000m, ground attack is now feasible again. Weather is stormy with rain. I'm aware some won't like it, but for a ground-oriented mission I think it's OK. I hope a bit of change and extreme weather won't put people off.
  • It's a hard mission overall, and depending on feedback I might make it easier. Even T34s get insta-shredded by the German defences, for a change. It really requires help from the air if one wants to make progress on the ground.

I'm also working on a third mission on the same principle, it's almost done. This one features Ju52s to intercept, ships to sink, and convoys of tanks to attack. Weather is clear.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 1

The plane was a Stuka.

I've added loadouts for the Stuka. SC1800 and SC1000 are not available, but the rest is.

• Upvote 1

Awesome mate,

Not flown online in IL2 since Hyperlobby days on Warclouds.  Came on tonight and felt such a nub.. was brilliant :o:  

Was concerned there would be no where to fly online with my brother as I have finally got him into flight sims and would be such a disappointment if no where to go,, thanks for hosting this.

Is there in the pipeline ever going to be another Hyperlobby type place ?...

best online gaming of my life there, Oh the Friday night funtimes  :wacko:

~S

Even T34s get insta-shredded by the German defences, for a change. It really requires help from the air if one wants to make progress on the ground.

I'm also working on a third mission on the same principle, it's almost done. This one features Ju52s to intercept, ships to sink, and convoys of tanks to attack. Weather is clear.

Yes, finally I can swing a mission in my Stuka, or intercept Ju52s. Thanks for hosting coconut.

Both expert and normal servers will be offline for a week starting tomorrow Saturday oct. 22

Can not wait til Sat.   As far as I am concerned you have the best servers and missions.   Keep up the good work from someone who appreciates your work.  S!

• Upvote 1

"As far as I am concerned you have the best servers and missions" +1

I still do not understand why the French pilots do not come often fly on your server? :huh:   "Un mal français".

THX for your work with IA and Action.

Nice for the training :) .

By the way coconut, have you ever thought of making a sort of TAW campaign? You could probably give them a good run for their money if you tried. Just a suggestion, thanks for hosting the lobby.

Yes I have, it's a side project of mine beside regular mission development. But it's going to be a while before I have anything to show. What I have in mind is to focus less on supporting large number of players, and more on using the AI in the missions. It would probably work best when the coop mode is implemented in BoK.

• Upvote 3