Hi all,

Ground Commander is a program to run alongside DServer.exe to allow players to give orders to AI-controlled vehicle groups. It basically adds and RTS component to the simulation.

Here is a video describing how the thing is used by players:

For instructions on how to build missions and run the software on your own server, see https://bitbucket.org/johdex/commander/overview(and then ask questions here, because there's probably many questions that aren't answered in the README).

Building missions and the software requires Visual Studio 2015 (you can get the Community Edition for free).

Link to compiled software: https://bitbucket.org/johdex/commander/downloads/Commander.zip(built for game version 1.107b).

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 20

this command option must binding in BoS Game Map, that would be wonderful.

Click on Map to command your AI airplanes or troops :)

Thanks all for the kind words, and also to the group of Frenchies from LaFrench, IRRE and other independents who helped test it.

I can see from the chatlogs that people were having fun while I was on my way to work this morning :)

Thanks all. The devs deserve a big chunk of these thanks. They are the ones who included a server input MCU in the mission editor and a documented protocol for remote access to DServer.

Thanks all. The devs deserve a big chunk of these thanks. They are the ones who included a server input MCU in the mission editor and a documented protocol for remote access to DServer.

I have showed Han. He is happy someone made use of these long standing capabilities. I forgot they were even there.

Jason

I have showed Han. He is happy someone made use of these long standing capabilities. I forgot they were even there.

Jason

Yes but now please add also something to help cockpit builders....at least instruments data exporting.....thanks  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Thank you for this great tool coconut!
 I agree with you, this is a very valuable asset for virtual squadrons like mine. We are looking for a way of playing the sim like the one you are proposing. We already developed a dynamic multi squad campaign for il2:cliffs of dover and we were looking into something alike for BoS/BoM.
 I realised the potential of this sim when I learned of the remote console and the "sending commands" capability using it when was first published for Rise of Flight but I had nor time nor the skills needed for developing something like you did, great!
We want to test this tool. I've tried to follow the instructions you gave with the software but I've run into problems. The web page to issue commands is not working. First I downloaded every file from the bitbucket link you gave above, I took the already built Veliki-Luke mission, placed in a folder where commander.exe can reach the requiered files, resaved it with the mission editor to avoid version problems and set up the dedicated server with the remote console available and running.
I adapted the config file for "commander" following the "readme" instructions and launched it after the server is up and running with the mission. No error message at all, it seems to open the remote console, it reacts when a user enters the dserver and shows him the PIN code in game chat but i can't reach the web page to issue orders. May be I'm missing something here, I have in the configuration.json:

"webListeningAddresses": [ "http:\\XX.XX.XX.XX:9000" ],
    "bindings" : [ "XX.XX.XX.XX:9000" ],

where XX.XX.XX.XX is the IP address of the machine where the dserver and commander are running. They are in the same PC under win10 and the last version of the game (1.107). Any hint on what might be the problem is wellcome.

Edited by HR_Pingu

You might need to open access to the commander app in the firewall.

Also, if your server is behind a NAT router, you must bind to your LAN IP address, that's often an address of the form 192.168.xx.xx. Trying to bind to the address as the internet sees it won't work.

If you'd like to get direct assistance on this, let me know and we can set a meeting time on my teamspeak, or skype...

Also, you can try turning on logging in the config file. That should help diagnose the problem.

Edited by coconut

Thank you for your quick answer coconut, work has taken me away from IL2 for a while. The server is not behind a NAT router and I think is not a firewall issue, I'll check again, who knows.
May be I don't understand these two options in the configuration.json file:

* webListeningAddresses (array of strings): URL at which players will access the Ground Commander web app.

I'm using the same computer/IP for the Dserver and the ground commander application, I'm guessing here that I don't need to have any web server,
 the commander.exe creates one at the IP/port given of the computer where it is running. That's why I use "webListeningAddresses": [ "http:\\XX.XX.XX.XX:9000" ]

* bindings (array of strings, ip address/port pair): IPs of the network interfaces on which the Ground Commander web app will receive requests.
It's just the IP where the commander is running along with a valid port (free, usable but freely chosen)?

I'm attaching a screen showing the messages given by commander.exe.

I forgot to add, the web browser just times out waiting for a reply...nothing shown.

post-625-0-23491000-1455191872_thumb.jpg

That's why I use "webListeningAddresses": [ "http:\\XX.XX.XX.XX:9000" ]

You have to use forward slashes, not backward slashes. Try also with a slash at the end, although I don't think it's required: "http://XX.XX.XX.XX:9000/

You can also try to use this for testing:

"webListeningAddresses": [ "http://localhost:9000/" ],
"bindings" : [ "127.0.0.1:9000" ]

Then try to connect using a web browser running on the same PC. I'm not entirely sure if an IP address counts as a valid web listening address (I expect it should, though).

They are in the same PC under win10

That might be your problem. Can't get it to work either since upgrading to win10. I knew I shouldn't have done it. Utter total piece of (bleep) for serious work  :(  But at least it comes with Candy Crush Saga. Will keep banging my head against it until it surrenders.

I think I found the problem, at least on my PC. In order for the server to work and be reachable, one needs to:

1. Give access right to the URL where the server runs to the user running the server: 
    netsh http add urlacl url=http://myserver.mydomain.com:1234/ user=DOMAIN\user

or...

2. Run the server as admin (not something I'd recommend)

I think the points above apply to all editions of Windows. You can also use a wildcard for the url, e.g. url=http://+:1234/. Note the ending slash, you must have it.

Then you must also let inbound connections through the firewall to the server. And that's where win10 bleeped me.

Letting a specific application, when it's a nobody like me who's the author of the application, just doesn't work. It fails, silently.

What you can do instead is open a specific port for all applications.

post-31381-0-79822600-1456348921_thumb.png

I'm surprised a search on google for "win10 firewall application inbound rule" does not bring anything useful. Isn't anyone using Windows 10 home to run home-made web applications?

Please devs, if you can make DServer run on Linux, I'd just love that and skip the insanity of windows dev.

Edited by coconut

Somehow these are good news for me. I decided to stop trying again and review all steps carefully. If you are able to solve it report it please, i´m still interested in using ti. Good luck.

If you are able to solve it report it please, i´m still interested in using ti. Good luck.

Looks like a just did :) It was on another application, but it should apply on "ground commander" as well. I'll dust it off and try it this week-end. 

Well, to be true my machine is a Mac, it operates win10 using bootcamp. Dserver and the BoS software itself seem to work well but who knows if this can be also a new source of problems for me. I'll do some test over the weekend too.

Dear Coconut,

I was wondering f this has been revised in any way.

Does this work by editing the mission file on the fly by some more complicated method.

I am curious how the order is implemented in the game.

Salutations,

Please excuse my ignorance and wishful thinking, but can something like this be made operable for use during Single Player missions?

I'd love to be able to lead a 'platoon' of tanks. :biggrin:

Forget that.. how about a whole tank Company or even an Armored Brigade, or ... naw, that would be plenty.

Maybe.

Dear Coconut,

I was wondering f this has been revised in any way.

Does this work by editing the mission file on the fly by some more complicated method.

I am curious how the order is implemented in the game.

No, I haven't done any work on ground commander for a while. I'll probably take another look when the Pacific theatre comes out.

The mission file isn't changed once loaded. All possible orders are present in the mission file from start, and triggered using the server input MCU.

Salutations,

Please excuse my ignorance and wishful thinking, but can something like this be made operable for use during Single Player missions?

Not that I know. You need DServer with the remote console.

Coconut, do you plan on releasing the dynamic mission software/system you use for your server to the public?

Cheers

Coconut, do you plan on releasing the dynamic mission software/system you use for your server to the public?

Cheers

Eventually, yes. But there are sharp edges to smooth first, or I'll have to spend too much time explaining and providing support.

• Upvote 1

I see. Thank you so much Coconut :)

I'm sure it will be very useful to a lot of us who like to create internal squadron campaigns! Looking forward to it

Cheers