Jason_Williams

Bf-110 E2 Skins

I've started something, but the result is not good ... I'll try something else.

In the spirit of Star Wars - First Order Special Forces Bf-110E-2.

Just for fun not for release

post-12904-0-67598900-1450497075_thumb.jpgpost-12904-0-58261000-1450497077_thumb.jpgpost-12904-0-44098000-1450497080_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

That's nice although personally not so keen on the red engine cowlings..............................anyway the markings got me thinking and after Reflected's Mc 202/Tony lookalikey I wondered how the 110 might look in Japanese glad rags as its not a million miles away from a Mitsubushi G4 apart from the twin tail

Just a thought................runs away and gets fire extinguisher in preparation for the up and coming flame throwers

Lovely PANZERBAR ... lovely ...I'd like to get such beautiful skin for italian Bf110 too  :rolleyes:  ...even if italians got the C-3

PANZERBAR, really thanks for your kind efforts and help.

In any case, I don't know if it's possible to paint an accurate italian skin...since there are really few pictures about them....even if Regia Aeronautica got just 3 Bf-110 C-3, the W.Nr 964, W.Nr. 1358 and W.Nr. 1804.

The picture you found is the only known image of a Bf 110 C-3 of the Regia Aeronautica; the aircraft belongs to the 235th Squadriglia of the 60th Gruppo, that served with the 41st Stormo Intercettori. The photo was taken at Lonate Pozzolo in spring 1943 and show the Cap Aramis Ammannato in front of it.

The well worncamouflage reveals the previous service with the Luftwaffe before its delivery to the italian forces, with the objective to build pratically from nothing an efficient night fighter force.

Below the same picture...but a bit larger to show the complete number on fuselage. Close to the final "5" number you can see just a small piece of the white strip on fuselage.

UZiBRHq.jpg

Below a profile about this plane:

cqEd1Pa.jpg

The following pictures display another Bf110 C-3, probably the W.Nr 964, at Guidonia in summer 1942, immediately after the italian insigna were painted on. On the fuselage side the german "GO" codes are still visible

C8Ya9mA.jpg

Same aircraft below, at Guidonia in spring 1943. The german crosses are still visible

s869OA1.jpg

A profile about this aircraft:

osauyIs.jpg

The latest pistures show a weird paintscheme...the aircraft has a light colour of the lower part of the engine cowling, that appears not to be xtended to the undersurfaces.

4KEZqdv.jpg

SrslyoL.jpg

Edited by 150GCT_Vespa
  • Upvote 2

Hmm - lots of good info and some great looking skins for this bird - but nobody has any insights about the historical accuracy (or not) of the bare wooden portions of the cockpit/radio antenna post per the question I raised in my earlier post above?  It looks weird to me, and I'm tempted to paint it over in my personal squadron liveries, but I'd still love to know if there was some historical basis for these things being left bare wood or if it's just an anomaly of the template.

Hi mate.... yes, the offset mast did have a wooden section on the 110. 

I have reference to it in many places in my books... Here is an excerpt from John Vasco's ''Bf 110 C D and E, an illustrated study''  '...at the base of the wooden portion of the main mast, a scattered line in red and an inscription 'Nur hier Anfassen' indicates where to 'take hold'... it was applied on both sides.

I have many good close up photos that clearly show the mast has a wooden section... hope that helps :)

Hmm - lots of good info and some great looking skins for this bird - but nobody has any insights about the historical accuracy (or not) of the bare wooden portions of the cockpit/radio antenna post per the question I raised in my earlier post above?  It looks weird to me, and I'm tempted to paint it over in my personal squadron liveries, but I'd still love to know if there was some historical basis for these things being left bare wood or if it's just an anomaly of the template.

post-1464-0-66489000-1450623793_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Panzerbar,

Please, may I ask if you have some technical documentation about the wingtips and navigation lights of 110 E ? I doubt they had a transparent cover over the red or green lights as seen in game. Same question for the 109E.

Hi mate.... yes, the offset mast did have a wooden section on the 110. 

I have reference to it in many places in my books... Here is an excerpt from John Vasco's ''Bf 110 C D and E, an illustrated study''  '...at the base of the wooden portion of the main mast, a scattered line in red and an inscription 'Nur hier Anfassen' indicates where to 'take hold'... it was applied on both sides.

I have many good close up photos that clearly show the mast has a wooden section... hope that helps :)

Excellent - thanks for clearing that up for me!

I'll have to go for a flip in this newest one- its a beauty!

What a happy coincidence ... I didn't know you were working on skins of the mediteranean BF110 of the ZG26 when I started the 3U+JM of the 5./ZG26 :

151221-BF110E2-002.jpg

151221-BF110E2-001.jpg

Far away to be finished ... color tuning, weathering and paint chipping to complete.

Just a question of time.

By the way : does anybody knows who was the pilot of this plane ?

• Upvote 2

Well, very hard to answer.

During winter 1941/42, III./ZG26 had several "old crows" - Bf110C-1's. You may see two radio wires, radio antenna of FuG III.

The only loss with "unknown Bf110 sub-modification" and unknown W.Nr. is:

7./ZG 26
Bf 110 unk.
Flugzeugführer Uffz Heinz Golisch - unhurt

7./ZG 26
Bf 110 unk.
Süd
Front
Bei Agedabia
Libyen Jägerbeschuß. 
Bruch 70 %.

Note, that in April 1942, Gruppe reported NO Bf110C-1's on strength. It means, that this particular aircraft was lost during winter 41/42.

So, must probably, Uffz. Golisch is Your pilot.

Camo:
-79 upper, but likely old 65 undersurface
-RLM04 yellow undersurf. of engines
-white spinnertips on (very unusual) RLM79 spinners 
-later style of III./ZG26 emblem (wich indicates this shots as "from december 1941 and later")

post-1464-0-13263100-1450808794_thumb.jpg

post-1464-0-83720500-1450808874_thumb.jpg

Ok, first one of two Bf110C-1's of 235 Squadriglia.

German markings solvented and/or partially overpainted with italian "Nero". 

Aircraft had no specific pilot, and it is known that many pilots flew ot.

Bf110C-1 with old FuG III radio equipment, but with pilot armor, reworked gunner canopy (MG17 mount) and new MG-FF/M guns. 

post-1464-0-77448100-1450811826_thumb.jpg

235_6.jpg

Download.

PANZERBAR ...astonishing  :o:  ... thanks a lot mate....I have no words for your kind efforts and skin

Ok, Hartmann, lets look into documents.

8./ZG 26
Bf 110E-2/Trop W.Nr.4419 StKz "SB+GO"
Süd, Front
Bei Fl.Pl. Derna-Nord, Libyen
Flakbeschuß. Bruch 100 %.

8./ZG 26
Bf 110E-2/Trop W.Nr. 4419

Flugzeugführer FSA, unhurt
Bordfunker Uffz Hugo Konrad, WiA

This two aircrafts were from same party, and we produced as "Trop" version by Muhlenbau-Industrie AG at Braunschweig around summer 1941.

Aircrafts had:
-uppersurfeses RLM79, undersurfaces RLM78
-spinners in standart RLM70 (note it!)
-White fuselage band was applied in factory
-engine undercowlings were RLM04 yellow.
-WerkNummer was painted in black, small letters above the swastika, on both tail fins.
Examples:

post-1464-0-84090200-1450819226_thumb.jpg
post-1464-0-93351000-1450819365_thumb.jpg

Some of aircrafts were mottled with olive green RLM80, like this way:
post-1464-0-43481700-1450819454_thumb.jpgpost-1464-0-94207400-1450819507_thumb.jpgpost-1464-0-18293900-1450819591_thumb.jpg

RLM27 was never used by ZG26 in Afrika. Note, no yellow  rudders and engine uppercowling in yellow color.

Good evening fellow pilots. Many thanks to all the skinners for the aircraft in this section as well as all the other aircraft skins throughout the year. Fantastic is the word. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. A blessed and happy Christmas and 2016 to all. :lol:  :salute:

Ok, Hartmann, lets look into documents.

8./ZG 26
Bf 110E-2/Trop W.Nr.4419 StKz "SB+GO"
Süd, Front
Bei Fl.Pl. Derna-Nord, Libyen
Flakbeschuß. Bruch 100 %.

8./ZG 26
Bf 110E-2/Trop W.Nr. 4419

Flugzeugführer FSA, unhurt
Bordfunker Uffz Hugo Konrad, WiA

This two aircrafts were from same party, and we produced as "Trop" version by Muhlenbau-Industrie AG at Braunschweig around summer 1941.

Aircrafts had:
-uppersurfeses RLM79, undersurfaces RLM78
-spinners in standart RLM70 (note it!)
-White fuselage band was applied in factory
-engine undercowlings were RLM04 yellow.
-WerkNummer was painted in black, small letters above the swastika, on both tail fins.
Examples:

Some of aircrafts were mottled with olive green RLM80, like this way:

RLM27 was never used by ZG26 in Afrika. Note, no yellow  rudders and engine uppercowling in yellow color.

Thanks panzer. :salute:

I will correct .

E69_Lothar29, your skin is very nice, but it's not quite summer and have no yellow line (the eastern front)

P.S.

Guys, sorry for my english, I try)

you need to modify? it is no problem Salute Friend

Hello,
Christmas holliday are getting closer and I'll make a short break in skinning.

Before I stop, I hope I can finish my desert skin for the BF110.
On the french forum we had an interresting discussion about the color of the plane : it seems that when the firsr BF110 arrived in Africa the RLM79 paint was not available so the Luftwaffe had to "borrow" some paint to the Italians.
And many planes remained in their original european paint scheme because of the lack of appropriate paint.
The RLM79 was used later but in german factories and planes arrived in Africa already painted.

Since I don't know exactly when the 3U+JM arrived in Africa, I've decided to make two versions :
One with the italian sand yellow :

151223-BF110E2-001b.jpg

And rhe other one with RLM79 upper surfaces :

151223-BF110E2-002b.jpg

And a close wiew to the wing root paint chipping :

151223-BF110E2-003.jpg

I wanted to give a wink to 6./ZG1=SPEKTRE76 : in a post he talked about foot prints on the wing roots he used to draw on some of its skins.
I've found that it was a great idea and I decided to try to do something similar but I wanted that everybody knew that the idea was from Spektre.

I wish you all a very happy Christmas !

christmas-smiley-ringing-a-bell.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hello,

For Christmas I've uploaded my skin of the "3U+JR" from the 5./ZG26 in two different colors (RLM79 and Italian Yellow Sand) :

151224-BF110E2-001b.jpg

Download here : http://www.unbound-frogs.org/zsf/2015/12/24/bf110e-2-7-zg26-3ujr/

I wish you all a merry christmas.

Zargos, devil is in details :)

1.  Not 5./ZG26, but 7./ZG26.

2.  Look here carefully:

post-1464-0-00803000-1450977862_thumb.jpg

3. Luftwaffe didnt used italian paints.

Edited by 1./ZG1_Panzerbar

In the spirit of Star Wars - First Order Special Forces Bf-110E-2.

Just for fun not for release

attachicon.gif2015_12_19__3_32_19.jpgattachicon.gif2015_12_19__3_33_59.jpgattachicon.gif2015_12_19__3_34_40.jpg

Good work!

Though I do have to point out some inaccuracies. Yes, there are inaccuracies in this skin.

While the emblem on the tail is correct, the fuselage and wing emblems aren't First Order at all. They're the emblem of the post-Great Hyperspace War Sith Empire, which existed over 3000 years Before Battle of Yavin (BBY), while the First Order was formed, at the earliest, in 4 After Battle of Yavin (ABY).

LOL ! It seems that SPEKTRE went through the dark side of the Force !

1.  Not 5./ZG26, but 7./ZG26.

You're right ! It is a typing mistake ...

2. Look here carefully:

attachicon.gifBf110C-1_3U+JR.jpg

The spiner is already corrected. But I don't see the other detail. Can you explain.

3. Luftwaffe didnt used italian paints.

Well, some authors seem to think differently.

According "The Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft 1935-1945" :

Axis operations in the Middel East in 1941 produced an additional range of camouflage colors. Initial arrivals of fighter aircraft were recamouflaged in colors appropriate to their desert habitat GAM 94-107) (LC/3 26-50). There is a clear discrepency between the yellow used on these early arrivals as compared with later delivery in factory finish tropical camouflage. It is now throught that italian paints were used initially, the darker shade, RLM Sand Yellow 79, appearing on the first stocks of fighter aircraft delivered directly from the manufacturers. The color difference between the green 80 and the italian green is less easily discerned and is nearly impossible to determine from contemporary black and white or color photographs.

Thus, three bew RLM colors were introduced for tropical use, 78 Light Blue, 79 Sand Yellow and 80 Olive-Green. These were promulgated in the November 1941 edition of L.Dv.521/1 and evidence points to the introduction of these colors into North Africa before the close of the year.

I don't who is right, the only thing I know is that I leave the two version of the skin on line.

Edited by UF_Zargos

1. Border line between 79 and 78 in fron of exhaust pipes is going a bit lower.

2. Engine undercowlings are looking much lighter than aircraft undersurfaces. That mean it is most probably yellow, as seen on many other III./ZG26 aircrafts of that period.

post-1464-0-26536600-1451077203_thumb.jpg

Panzerbar is right (as usual :salute: ​)
And, according to the photographs of this 7./ZG 26 110 and to nitpick a little bit more :

- undersurfaces wing tips are yellow too.

- with a white J on both sides.

- and Balkenkreuze are larger and nearer the radiators than the model used on the official template.

- with a white J on both sides.

- and Balkenkreuze are larger and nearer the radiators than the model used on the official template.

Thus has already be corrected on my skin

Yellow undersurfaces are going to be ready very soon.

Edited by UF_Zargos