Sign in to follow this  
No_85_Gramps

Re-mapping tank controls

Some of you may have already figured this out, but just in case. I remapped the tank controls to my joystick - fwd and back, left and right turn. Makes the driving experience a little easier. Have to do some more experimenting to see what else can be remapped. It would be nice to get everything mapped to the stick/throttle, maybe the rudder pedals for turning.

Some more experimenting is in order as some of the tank commands have controls mirrored from the aircraft. May take some further work discovering the best way to set this up. But it would be nice to control all the tanks commands thru just a joystick/throttle control. I did set left/right turn to my rudder pedals, works nicely. Anyone else been looking at this?

Personally, I think it might be simpler to map the controls to a gamepad - there aren't that many, and with fwd/reverse and steering being on/off rather than analog, there isn't any real requirement for precision. Probably the simplest way to do this will be to use JoyToKey or something similar. It probably depends on your gaming setup though - if you've got a hotas layout fixed in position for flying, you may be better off using that.

I use rudder pedal to drive and joy throttle to control the movement, so in long distances is not need to continuous press forward, just leave the throttle ahead.

Throtle above 50% = move forward

Throttle 50% = stop

Throttle less than 50% = move back

A gamepad lack this kind of control and will need a constant press - boring in cross country with tank at 20KMH.

Assign this controls on axis result in more fine control than in keys, specially in roads where tanks run at ~50KMH, when they easily do "donuts" in turn with keys.  :)

• Upvote 1

I like that Sokol! Rudder pedals to steer, throttle to move fwd/bwd. Two rotaries on the throttle to adjust aiming, buttons on throttle to jump btwn driver/gunner and change ammo. A lot of fun set-up this way.

Any way to control the turret with joystick (other than joytokey)? Well I guess I could map the axis to mouse in TARGET, but I'd preferably not go down that route quite yet...

Looking forward to see what you guys come up with. In WT I have the turret being turned right of left by the twist on the joy stick. I have no need of that function on a plane as I have rudder with toe breaks.

Pulling stick up raises gun, pushing down pushes gun down. Left and right breaks are on the toe breaks just like for the planes that have left and right controls for breaks. I use TrackIR to look around,

In WT throttle is just throttle. But to shift gears I use the arrow keys just like in BOS.

Not a WT fan but this set up for the tanks seemed very natural to me.

Any way to control the turret with joystick (other than joytokey)? Well I guess I could map the axis to mouse in TARGET, but I'd preferably not go down that route quite yet...

The turrent movement is some camera control, as can be done with mouse, keys 4, 6, 2, 8 or joy HAT.

The question is that have various "camera" options...

Is said that are:

camera control>rotate camera up/down = mouse Y 
camera control>rotate camera left/right = mouse X

But im my test dont work with joy X axis. Sometimes is need restart the game for some reassignments work, may is the case...

I set Joy2Key to translate joy axis movement in mouse movement, and use for big cannon transverse, for precise aim I use the mouse.

Like in Battleground Europe tanks, use the joystick make aim imprecise, at same time rotate the cannon with mouse is awkward...

Edited by Sokol1

Uriah

In WT throttle is just throttle. But to shift gears I use the arrow keys just like in BOS.

But drive the tank out of roads at ~25KM/H in BoS need continuous press the arrow key for move forward, what became  tireless fast - in some engagement the distances is big.

If you use the joy throttle for this, became a kind of " car autopilot", maintain the forward movement without need to press key.

Anyway assign (add) the joy throttle dont change the use of arrow keys, so you can use both methods as convenience.  ;)

Edited by Sokol1

Yes, I have throttle on my second 'joy stick' which is the CH Throttle quadrant and it works just like 'car autopilot' as Sokol put it.

And steering left or right is on the rudder pedals.

I think Sokol was trying to say he has not found a way to get the turret to move on an axis. That is my experience. Seems it has to be keys.

Yet I still can't get the turret to move.

Added tank forward/back to my CH Throttle. Big improvement over the constant keypress. Thanks.

Sokol simplified this "take turret control" for:

R = change crew position

T = take gun

Y= take aim

But for the life of me I can't find any such 'Actions'.

Thanks for the suggestion for forward/stop/back on throttle and steer with pedals, I've tried it and it is an excellent idea, works a treat!

I can't get Switch to next free plane combat post (in WC) = L_Ctrl + C

to work. It does nothing. It does not take me to a view like from a scope with the cannon to the upper right as the video shows.

Any ideas?

I have Track-IR, Thrustmaster T.16000 joystick, Seitek combat rudder pedals, and CH Trottle Quadrand (CHQ)

Action Key Command

Engage engines start procedure/Stop engine = *

Vehicle acceleration/brake = CHQ Lever 1(x)

Vehicle turn = Rudder pedals

Canopy (hatch) Open/Close = O

Turret: take control/leave (in WC) = T

Switch to next free plane combat post (in WC) = L_Ctrl + C

(meaning go from cockpit to a gunner position?)

Turret: nestle to the gunsight = LShift+T

Fire turret guns = JS-0

Select ammunition: (in WC) = JS-4

--Armor Piercing

--High Explosive

--Machine Gun.

Pilot head: Zoom in/out (in PHC) = CHQ 2/3

Gunsight Range adjustment (in WC) = JS-6/5

Gunsight Horizontal adjustment (in WC) = JS-7/8

----------Only on T-34

Gunsight reset (in WC) = JS-9

Turn a Turret (using a joy stick with twist action)

Bow pilot head vertically (in PHC) = joy0_axis_Y

and

Turn pilot head horizontally (in PHC) = joy0_axis_X

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/19533-tanks-update/

x

Edited by Uriah

Switch to next free plane combat post (in WC) = L_Ctrl + C

(meaning go from cockpit to a gunner position?)

In tank this command change between driver to gunner position (in planes between pilot and gunner position).

Once you pop into a tank you will be in the DRIVERs position. There pressing key for open/close canopy will open or close the front door.

To jump to the gunner you have to press key again Switch to next free plane combat post (in WC) = L_Ctrl + C

Once you are in the gunner position you can toggle back and forth to the commanders position again using the key for open/close canopy.

For turning the turret and raising and lowering the gun...

Turn a Turret

Go to Pilot Head Control

(using a joy stick with twist action) remove when in plane.

Bow pilot head vertically (in PHC) = joy0_axis_Y

Turn pilot head horizontally (in PHC) = joy0_axis_X

with the mouse or cursors.

---->bow pilot head vertically = mouse Y or CURSOR up/down for GUN up/down

---->turn pilot head horizontally = mouse X or CURSOR left/right for TURRENT left/right

T will toggle the turret and gun between frozen forward and up to your control.