Avyx

advices about this game, please

Hello anyone,

I'm new to this forum, i hope here is the right place to ask what I'm looking for.

After 2 years of playing War Thunder, i want to try out some combat flight simulators, so i want to give it a try to IL-2 Sturmovik : Battle of Stalingrad

I want to ask if this game still has online players.

Can you add mods to this game ?

Thank you in advance.

Hello anyone,

I'm new to this forum, i hope here is the right place to ask what I'm looking for.

After 2 years of playing War Thunder, i want to try out some combat flight simulators, so i want to give it a try to IL-2 Sturmovik : Battle of Stalingrad

Thank you in advance.

Multi-player has player. 100-150 average online every night. A big 84 player server full or almost everyday.

No mods.

Lots of "private" (meaning with inscriptions required) events during week with a more "immersive" and squadron based type of gameplay.

I come from WT too. It is worth to make the step.... BOS experience e is worth 200000 Goldens Eagles... At least! :)

Edited by LAL_Trinkof

Hey and welcome Avyx,

Yes there are quite a few active online servers with some very sharp real life opponents for sure. As far as mods are concerned, there have been some post of modifying config ini file to help with visuals ( a subjective matter for sure--I find the visuals fine just setting up in game ), you can use Sweet FX and such with this sim, and lastly there a re a lot of really nice aircaraft skins donated by some very nice members on the forum. 

Please jump on in and fly, I believe you will like it !!

Reagrds-- sf     

You could not arrive at a better time than this. Absolutely buy now.

Thanks a million for helping me, guys

I will order this game, but i guess i'll have to buy some joystick :D

Would that be okay for a beginner ?

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-3D-Pro-Joystick-Windows/dp/B00009OY9U

And for the single missions, are there some nice ones ?

I don't know which one would be better : Standard Edition vs Premium Edition

Special Aircraft Set Not Included  /  Included

What is that means, actually ?

You get the Fw-190 and La-5 in the premium edition, while the standard has "only" 8 aircraft.

About that stick, I've used it for 6 years or so and I'll have to say I don't quite recommend it - it gets sloppy really easily. I switched to another budget option, the TM T-Flight HOTAS X. It costs more or less the same (sometimes less), comes with a full-fledged throttle and in my opinion is much more comfortable (particularly in aerobatic/turn fighting regimes where you're shaking it all around) and sturdy too. On top of that you have a dial on the bottom that allows you to set the resistance to your preference (I prefer my stick heavy for example so I dial it all the way in).

Another stick in that same range that people recommend is the Thrustmaster T-16000. While it loses the throttle, you get Hall sensors that reduce wear and increase precision meaning it will last much longer. I never tried it, but I'm sure others here have.

EDIT: Just to elaborate a little, the reason the 3D Pro is uncomfortable is because of the pointy end of the handle. If you have to throw the stick around hard it can really start digging into your wrists, which is a pain in the rear. In the 3 Logitech 3D products I've owned, the throttles also got really spiky (jumping from 50% to 60% input within a milimetre for example) as with the stick.

Edited by Lucas_From_Hell

I have two friends who needed to get joysticks recently. One an experienced simmer who needed to replace his stick, and another who was just starting to sim because we wouldn't give him any peace.  They both got the Thrustmaster T-Flight - http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Playstation-3/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448464706&sr=1-1&keywords=thrustmaster+t+flight+hotas+x

They've had only good things to say about it.  I think it's the best HOTAS(joystick with a separate throttle control) you can get for so little money. Only a few pesos more than the one you linked.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Silas
  • Upvote 1

For a low end joystick, IMO, Thrustmaster T.16000M is better. A lot more precise and accurate due since it uses hall sensors rather then pots.

• Upvote 1

The 3d Pro is an Ok joystick for beginners and intermedium pilots from what I heared. For not too much more you can get the Thrustmaster T.16000 though which uses hall sensors (better accurancy than potis) and - from what I heared - does great in numerous flight sims.

Personally I used a T. Flight HOTAS X for 2 and a half years and while being probably the best low price HOTAS availabel it truely showed it's age after all this time of intensive usage (inaccurate contorll inputs, center play). Still it has a nice ammount of buttons and feautures everything you need to get into flight sims.

Special Aircraft Set Not Included / Included

Welcome Avyx,

I would recommend a sensible approach: start with the standard version and a cheap joystick. If it works for you then you can upgrade to the premium planes later.

There's a small group of people who make single player missions for the community in the mission making section of the forum. Some are random, some are built as campaigns.

There are also a lot of awesome user made skins.

Hope you enjoy!

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Upvote 1

Okay, i go with Thrustmaster T.16000M, maybe in the future, if i need to upgrade it, i buy something else, better, etc

Anyway, i don't know what's the difference between hall sensor / pots sensor

Offtopic question : what do you think, guys, about Windows 10, for gaming ? I don't talk about DX 12.

Just Windows 10 vs Windows 7 / 8.1

I'm still using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, after i checked so many reviews, is hard for my to upgrade to Windows 10.

The improvements seems to be small to none

Thank you

Okay, i go with Thrustmaster T.16000M, maybe in the future, if i need to upgrade it, i buy something else, better, etc

Offtopic question : what do you think, guys, about Windows 10, for gaming ? I don't talk about DX 12.

I'm still using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, after i checked so many reviews, is hard for my to upgrade to Windows 10.

Thank you

No noticeable difference in game performance between Win10 and Win7 in my case.

Hello anyone,

Thank you in advance.

WELCOME! You dont really need a joystick since the latest patch you know:)

But its definately better to have one. Tell all your friends. This is far better than WT. Its far more demanding and the learning curve is steep but its well worth to stay on it.

there is only few more rewarding things in computergaming than winning a good fight in this sim.

Look at Winger being all on the positive side today :) good to see that mate :good:

Welcome Avyx, I hope (well I'd like to say "know") that you'll be having tons of fun.

Don't let it get you down, if you find things a bit hard at first, we are a lot if people who would gladly help a newcomer out in any way posible.

Hall sensors are (usually) more precise and benefit from better lonlivity due to less moving mechanical parts while potis get inaccurate over time (friction, dirt). So if you want sth for a long run in this price class hall sensors are better suited. Many high end joysticks like the X52, X55 Rhino and T. Hotas Warthog are using hall sensors.

BTW: You can always buy an external throttle and add it to your flight stick for a complete HOTAS setup if you like.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Did anyone here purchased IL 2 Battle of Moscow ?

I didn't know about this game

It looks great.

Edited by Avyx

It looks great.

It's an expansion for BOS that can also be used on its one without Battle of Stalingrad.

The Maps you see are the Stalingrad maps

If you haven't noticed BOS is on 50% sale right now by the way

Yes, i know BOS is on 50 % sale right now, thank you, Saurer.

But BOM is already available, or not ? I'd like to order both of them.

Yes early acces right now, currently the I16, MC.202, P 40, Bf 109E-7 and since yesterday the Bf 110 are available if you have BOM

BoM is on early access mode for those who own kt and Battle of Stalingrad together. The Moscow maps aren't ready, but BoM aircraft are constantly being released - I-16, MC 202, P-40E, Bf-110 and Bf-109E are available to fly in the Stalingrad maps (summer, autumn and winter). The MiG-3 will be next in December.

By ordering both you get loads of fun aircraft now, and in 2016 you get the new maps too - strongly recommended.

So, if i order BOS Standard Edition it's okay ? Or it must be BOS Premium Edition ?

Thank you

So, if i order BOS Standard Edition it's okay ? Or it must be BOS Premium Edition ?

Thank you

Honestly. Now that it's on sale, you should get Premium if you can at all afford it.

As for BoM, it's not on sale, and there will be plenty of time to preorder, when you find out for sure, if this is your thing.

Also keep in mind, that the extra planes in Premium aren't necessarilly "better" than the others (in the case of BoM, that's definately not the case) It's not like in WoT or WT, where the stuff you pay actual money for outclasses the F2P stuff. 

Edited by Finkeren

Thank you

Once you have the game .... go just there : http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10268-chucks-aircraft-guide/

And download it, a small manual for each aircraft in game .... life saving at the begining :) (Many thanks to Chuck !)

Hoping to see you in sky soon !

Edited by LAL_Trinkof

If you can, get a HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) setup.  

The Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick is a basic entry level example but perfectly adequate for most purposes.  Most importantly, it has enough buttons right at your fingertips that you wont have to dick around trying to find buttons on a keyboard in order to fight effectively.  

One of the more expensive (and I mean a lot more expensive!) HOTAS rigs would undoubtedly be better but you don't need to spend that sort of cash to have a good time.  

As with most things in life, the hooker analogy is useful here to demonstrate the point.  Sure, your top-shelf big $$$$$$$ 'stay-over' call-girl is best - I think we'd all agree on that.  BUT hey, that doesn't mean you can't also have a damn good time with your entry-level over-weight trans-gender bloke with hairy legs.  Yeah ..... ;)

• Upvote 1

As with most things in life, the hooker analogy is useful here to demonstrate the point.  Sure, your top-shelf big $$$$$$$ 'stay-over' call-girl is best - I think we'd all agree on that.  BUT hey, that doesn't mean you can't also have a damn good time with your entry-level over-weight trans-gender bloke with hairy legs.  Yeah .....

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just to add about the "enough buttons"... You really dont need that many buttons to control a WWII airplane. From the top of my head the most important ones: Flaps up/down, Trim up/down, MGs, Cannons and Drop Bomb/Rockets and Zoom in/out. All other buttons are not really that necessary on the joystick and you can get by using the keyboard. 

But a joystick is a must when it comes down to control your airplane (pitch, roll, yaw).

Edited by istruba

Avyx, something that will help you a ton, especially as a new joystick user...

crank the sensitivity on all axis to about 80% and fly around, tone it down as you see fit. This will help you a ton. I believe the joystick is modeled in-game as if it were on the floor. You'll feel like you're really inaccurate and have a lack of control otherwise.

Avyx, something that will help you a ton, especially as a new joystick user...

crank the sensitivity on all axis to about 80% and fly around, tone it down as you see fit. This will help you a ton. I believe the joystick is modeled in-game as if it were on the floor. You'll feel like you're really inaccurate and have a lack of control otherwise.

This is actually not very adviseable at all. Sensetivity ingame is nothing else than non-linearity which means you'll end up with very smooth low inputs but hairy inaccurancy once flying in the upper range of your stick deflection.

For the first few sorties I'd advise to fly with default settings (100% natural) to get the feel of the flight engine and different aircraft.

Than, if you feel you don't have enough controll, you can go to controller setting and increase sensetivity step by step while testing it. In general it's recommended to keep it at an as low value as possible to avoid messing with your input curve too much.

There is also the noise filter setting under settings-> input devices that adds more lag to your joystick inputs. Again, same as with sensetivity, increase one step at a time and try to keep it as low as possible.

It takes some time and can be frustrating but once you overcome this obstacle you'll have a much more enjoyable expirience.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

This is actually not very adviseable at all. Sensetivity ingame is nothing else than non-linearity which means you'll end up with very smooth low inputs but hairy inaccurancy once flying in the upper range of your stick deflection.

For the first few sorties I'd advise to fly with default settings (100% natural) to get the feel of the flight engine and different aircraft.

Than, if you feel you don't have enough controll, you can go to controller setting and increase sensetivity step by step while testing it. In general it's recommended to keep it at an as low value as possible to avoid messing with your input curve too much.

There is also the noise filter setting under settings-> input devices that adds more lag to your joystick inputs. Again, same as with sensetivity, increase one step at a time and try to keep it as low as possible.

It takes some time and can be frustrating but once you overcome this obstacle you'll have a much more enjoyable expirience.

I don't know.... I flew with 0% for the longest time and the second i cranked it up i became ridiculously more accurate and flew maneuvers much better. This is after playing for a about a year. maybe my experience is from flying for a long time first but it really did feel like night and day when i switched this. I toned it down to about 40% but the 80% put it into perspective.

I suppose the OP should experiment on his own since you seem to experience the opposite, but I know this helped me dramatically. 

Edited by simplyjames
  • Upvote 1

Hello anyone,

Thank you in advance.

Welcome aboard!

You get the Fw-190 and La-5 in the premium edition, while the standard has "only" 8 aircraft.

About that stick, I've used it for 6 years or so and I'll have to say I don't quite recommend it - it gets sloppy really easily. I switched to another budget option, the TM T-Flight HOTAS X. It costs more or less the same (sometimes less), comes with a full-fledged throttle and in my opinion is much more comfortable (particularly in aerobatic/turn fighting regimes where you're shaking it all around) and sturdy too. On top of that you have a dial on the bottom that allows you to set the resistance to your preference (I prefer my stick heavy for example so I dial it all the way in).

Another stick in that same range that people recommend is the Thrustmaster T-16000. While it loses the throttle, you get Hall sensors that reduce wear and increase precision meaning it will last much longer. I never tried it, but I'm sure others here have.

EDIT: Just to elaborate a little, the reason the 3D Pro is uncomfortable is because of the pointy end of the handle. If you have to throw the stick around hard it can really start digging into your wrists, which is a pain in the rear. In the 3 Logitech 3D products I've owned, the throttles also got really spiky (jumping from 50% to 60% input within a milimetre for example) as with the stick.

The premium Edition is your best bet... especially at this price. For $40 you cannot beat it with a stick. The T-16000 is an excellent joystick but that HOTAS Thrustmaster is a good buy as well. It is probably the best HOTAS you can buy in that price range.

Thank you

Hall sensors are more precise and will not wear out like pots do. Pots are mechanical in nature where as hall sensors work magnetically. I use W7 U as well .. I( have no plans to upgrade on my gaming rig at the moment.

It looks great.

Yes, i know BOS is on 50 % sale right now, thank you, Saurer.

But BOM is already available, or not ? I'd like to order both of them.

BoM is the sequel to BoS . The sim is not done yet but the Early Access has already started.. If you were to buy BoM now you would have access to 5 aircraft from BoM in Early Access.. the I-16, the 109 E, the Bf-110, the Macchi and the P-40 with the other planes as they are released. In my opinion it is well worth it.. but you may want to get BoS first to make sure this is your thing.. I am sure you will like it. Just remember that there will be an adjustment curve because the physics, engine management etc  in this sim is different from WT.. I think it is more realistic..

Yes : beginning in BOS, when coming from thunder is very hard. You'll fly a lot in the beginning... And end up shot down quite quickly. With patience, after a month of intense playing, pure pleasure will appear.

A year after.... You'll understand that you still have a lot to learn :) and this is the magic in it. The learning curve is very harsh, but rewarding!

I'm sure i will have to learn how to fly, first

Are there any " free flight " missions ? Something like training ..

I order tomorrow the BOS and the Thrustmaster 16000M

Thank you

• Upvote 1

There is a Quick Mission Mode were you can set up freeflights, one vs one's and battles with up to 8 vs 8

I have the game :)

Wow, i love this

Now i have to wait for the joystick, next week ( Tuesday ) so i have to play with mouse + keyboard

It's very hard, i say that after 10 minutes of testing :)

But i do like this game. A lot.

Thanks, i'll report later.

• Upvote 1

I advice you : joystick right hand, mouse left hand (high sensitivity so you can look around without moving your wrist). Right and left click for throttle and hat for moving your head inside the cockpit.

Have fun

Next step TrackIR 5. Is one of those things u have to try it before u realise is a game / life changer :)

• Upvote 1

I advice you : joystick right hand, mouse left hand (high sensitivity so you can look around without moving your wrist). Right and left click for throttle and hat for moving your head inside the cockpit.

Have fun

I wish i could play without using the mouse, when i have the Thrustmaster joystick

Is that not possible ?

Thank you

You could also use WASD for your view and 1 and 2 to increase, decrease the throttle for example

But eventually you should think about headtracking. You don't need TrachIR, if you know how to solder you can very cheaply build it on your one and youse Open- of Freetrack with a Webcam

Edited by Saurer

Next step TrackIR 5. Is one of those things u have to try it before u realise is a game / life changer :)

Yep. And rudder pedals. But you should probably book trips to a) your bank manager and b) your local jeweller, for "Operation Goodwill" for when your 'significant other' realises what's happening.

Welcome to the rabbit hole...

• Upvote 1