richtervonboyce

PERFORMANCE ISSUES and frame rate issues.

A bit of speculation. I usually do not play SP, but for sake of experiment tried playing over a dozen of quick missions with 16 or so fighters. There was no stutters and even when FPS were in the low, game felt way smoother than in MP. However, I noticed one interesting thing: sometimes it felt like in game time fluctuates, and it was like game missed some ticks and then tried to catch up by accelerating things. If game also misses ticks in MP, but is forced to be in sync with server, it can't just accelerate things like in SP, and it probably just jumps to correct time frame causing a stutter.

Your PC specs??

• Upvote 1

We really need to concentrate on getting this Sim .............STABLE !!

• Upvote 1

+1 Stuck in the mud waiting for improvements in performance and stability especially in MP.

But except feedback from testers we have no info or commitment from the devs for that.

Would be great if it could be confirmed.   

There were lots of complaints when MP numbers were cut due to stability issues, work was done and incrementally MP numbers were brought back to what we have now

Even though there was no Dev comments on that progress, much in the same way I would imagine steps are being taken to optimize performance again. 

I think past experience, support and patches show that even when no comments are made, work is being done, compared to most Dev's communication is pretty good in general

Cheers Dakpilot

You are right Darkpilot, let's wait 1.106 should not be so long as it was announced for late December.

Let's cross fingers, but I'm fed up loosing my time and struggling with the game so 1.106 will be the conclusion for me.

• Upvote 1

this is impossible, I've tried everything else, or fix this Bug, or will lose 50% of your customers.... is a big problem

+1

+1

I agree, there are less and less people everyday online ... flying yesterday on WoL was sooo painful again.

Flight sim ONLINE is our passion, community has been scattered and we can not afford loosing other pilots. Those performance issues don't disturb so much occasional players that often play SP but affect with full force the community of hardcore simmers playing almost everyday in MP. 

I'm also waiting for the 1.106 but crossing fingers is not enough, at this level of discomfort in MP I'm convinced that priority should be redefined to address performance issues (memory management in general) with a 64 bits engine. Not enough memory for skins, for detailed damaged model, for cockpit shadows, not enough memory for decent visibility bubble >10, tight grass perimeter, aliased superposition of plane in front of clouds, no enough RAM for mirrors ... A lot of superb and outstanding models that could make this sim the best ever are spoiled with so much improvable details related to memory management.  

Long way to go but a complete re-optimization is still possible with a complete focus.        

Make no mistake, no negative approach here, I just want this game to become a steady and strong standard. Great efforts have been provided to bring us a lot of rich 3D contents (Maps, Planes, piloted Vehicles). Time has come to pause and stabilize the engine now ... and to communicate  

• Upvote 2

I'm also waiting for the 1.106 but crossing fingers is not enough, at this level of discomfort in MP I'm convinced that priority should be redefined to address performance issues (memory management in general) with a 64 bits engine. Not enough memory for skins, for detailed damaged model, for cockpit shadows, not enough memory for decent visibility bubble >10, tight grass perimeter, aliased superposition of plane in front of clouds, no enough RAM for mirrors ... A lot of superb and outstanding models that could make this sim the best ever are spoiled with so much improvable details related to memory management.  

Memory management isn't a problem. It also isn't the cause for any of those items you listed except the skins. The other items are due to calculation capability which are separate from memory.

It's kind of funny Meow, do you not remember we had the same conversation about a year ago.  You told me and everyone back then that it must be a local problem.  Even though it never got perfect, the Devs made good strives back then to correct their bad patch.  (the G2 patch)  

My guess is maybe a year from now we will look back on the (tank patch) and come to the same conclusion.  

p.s.  I do wish there would be a popular US server.  My ping on Wings of Limitations is in the 160s.   :unsure:  

No, I don't. I also don't have this problem. I experienced poor performance attacking a heavily guarded AA object on one server. I did not experience it on another server, and haven't had issues since. In fact, all MP related issues I have experienced have been solely on Wings of Liberty.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Memory management isn't a problem. It also isn't the cause for any of those items you listed except the skins. The other items are due to calculation capability which are separate from memory.

No, I don't. I also don't have this problem. I experienced poor performance attacking a heavily guarded AA object on one server. I did not experience it on another server, and haven't had issues since. In fact, all MP related issues I have experienced have been solely on Wings of Liberty.

Whatever those issues come from, related to memory management or calculation capabilities (maybe you are right, after all), It's not really the problem. They need to be optimized to recover an acceptable MP flight experience. IMHO priority should be re-balanced to come back to steady basis. 

Regarding the MP :  I've experienced the same stutters on both WoL and Fighting Legend (even if less populated, but rising ...anyway we only have 2 on regular basis at this time) but the problem might be worst on WoL, I admit. Something changed suddenly since 1.105 and it is spoiling the MP experience. Its a fact and we have 6 pages of reports(+various post on the forum) to confirm it.

That's the problem. Where does the performance issue lie? Apparently, for the ones who experience it in this thread, it is isolated to multi-player. For me, I experience it in very certain situations on a very specific server. I do not experience it else where. The other situations appear to just be it happens. In order to find the cause of it, the developers need certain situations and ways to actually isolate it to enough to determine what is the cause and why.

I've had performance issues in the past with a number of games, including air combat sims, and it also impacted other players but not the entire player base. In some of those cases, it was actually isolated to a system setting/configuration that we all shared in common. No developers can account for all variation in system configurations/settings/installations - not even the multi-million dollar studios. COM ports that were available but no devices used them was the cause for one of my sims issues running and several of us complained and looked for answers, but it wasn't until a few of us came together to find out what prevented the issue to isolate and rectify the issue. It was a configuration unique to our systems that caused the problem(s).

To compound the problem even more we all have several thousand different mother boards, several different thousand memory mfgs and configurations, two CPU mfgs (multiplied by the number of CPUs they've put out that can run this title - so let's say 5 generations for Intel multiplied by two, four, six, and 4+HT cores), two GPU mfgs (plus the number of different board mfgs that are multiplied by the number of GPUs capable of running this plus the varying video card drivers that could be used because some insist on running something from December of last year because...), and then the hundreds of varying memory mfgs/configurations/timings/etc that each individual runs PLUS everyone's different versions of Windows and whatever updates they are on. The aforementioned points alone make it incredibly difficult to isolate the cause when some aren't experiencing the same problem. Is it truly the game, or is it something else? If it were the game, and it were having a problem running in every single instance across every single platform then it is easy to say it is the game and isolating the cause will be difficult but there will be one within the code.

After all, 99 bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, take one down, patch it around, 253 bugs in the code.

BoS runs very well for me in MP, single GPU is a little worse just FPS wise but nothing terrible. In Wings of Liberty I have some issues and in some cases the are dropping my fps from over 100 to less than 30 - but they are isolated to certain areas of the map and isolated to Wings of Liberty.

This game/title/sim is highly optimized, just because it doesn't run 100% on some people's machines doesn't mean it isn't optimized. It means there is a conflict with some individual's machines/machine's configuration. There is a difference between optimization and a conflicting system issue. Does it run SP well? Yes. The issue here appears to be MP only. Multiplayer actually requires less system resources than single player. That's very indicative of not optimization but a conflict somewhere for only some.

Sometimes even re-running DirectX install resolves issues.

The biggest thing I want to get across here is that there isn't a base line, there isn't something they can just go to and BAM! those having issues are good and those that aren't are still even They have to work to find what is causing the issue for some, so far its multiplayer. But it doesn't mean its easily identifiable.

There are 6 pages in this thread, except much of it is duplicate individuals posting or individuals posting trying to help remedy it. So that doesn't say a whole lot.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Run sp mission... well it depends on how many objects are in mission spawned at the same time. Try the new sp mission type (one with introducton), or one created by others , go try normal server when there are furbals near ground or airport.This game has performance issues.

Edited by tomcatqw

Don't play SP much myself but when I launched the campaign for tests I also encountered microstrutters.

Performence wise SP can't be compared to MP. Also performance issues are not restricted to certain servers, although mission designers surely have some influrence (mission objects, number of players / ai aircrafts).

And the fact some selective individuals can run this game good enought does not make it "well optimised" nor this topic irrelevant.

Most in my squad don't fly BoS due to performence issues. And they're not running the game on potatoe machines from the last decade.

Most in my squad don't fly BoS due to performence issues. And they're not running the game on potatoe machines from the last decade.

+1

80% pilots of my Squad or related friends have the same performance issue since 1.105 even with strong and up to date configurations running. But if I read well Meow, there is no such problem, only a big thread with a lot of duplicated individuals posting and replies (like the one I'm writing now ...) so it should not be relevant.

• Upvote 2

I'm no programmer, nor 3D designer, but if there is a problem, and very large. After the release of 1105, the simulator has many performance issues.

I cross my fingers that in 1106, solve the problem they themselves have caused

and if they believe that those who we complain we are the only ones who have problems, they will mistaken

many have problems, but just do not say anything.

Salut y cruzando los dedos para que este desafortunado problema quede resuelto de inmediato..

Anyone else have the issue (?) where, when the plane is on the ground/ near the ground like when you are coming in to land the grass only appears in the immediate vicinity of the plane??

My System:

i5 3570K (not overclocked, MOBO: P8Z77-v LK)

Asus Strix GTX970 OC

16GB RAM (from memory @ 1600)

Win7 home

I just bought the game. Well, Mouse lagging in the menus, in game lags, grass problem underlined by novicebutdeadly... And I run a lot of games (FSX with a lot of addons, Arma 3 ..) 

Nvidia 970 GTX 2Go, I7 4970.. 

I'm very disappointed..

I just bought the game. Well, Mouse lagging in the menus, in game lags, grass problem underlined by novicebutdeadly... And I run a lot of games (FSX with a lot of addons, Arma 3 ..) 

Nvidia 970 GTX 2Go, I7 4970.. 

I'm very disappointed..

Is this a laptop? I only know about laptop gpu's with the 2Go in their name. If so, the gpu could be struggling with IL2:BoS. Have you tried to reduce the graphics details?

The rendering of the plane/environment in the menus is taxing for the cpu/gpu. This could be the cause of the lagging mouse pointer.

Edited by 1./ZG1_Wittman

More likely the game is using the on chip Intel HD4600 intergrated graphics  and not the 970, common problem with laptops and APU's, mouse lag points to this

2 Go maybe french for 2Gb?

That system should run BoS fairly well

Cheers Dakpilot

Anyone else have the issue (?) where, when the plane is on the ground/ near the ground like when you are coming in to land the grass only appears in the immediate vicinity of the plane??

My System:

Asus Strix GTX970 OC

Win7 home

HI .....yes  I    

but surely it's my imagination and yours ...... or that only affects you and me, nothing nothing the game is perfect, is very soft, if people do not complain is that there are no problems, we we complained 3 or 4 nothing more, what happens is that we have no know to set our computers ... ... we have to study engineering to play .........

....... The intelligent  say, I know that I know nothing

regards

Excuse me ,  I use a translator

Ahora en español :
Hola ......si yo 
pero seguramente sea mi imaginación  y la tuya ......  o que solo afecta a ti y a mi  , nada nada el juego está perfecto  , va muy suave  , si la gente no se queja es que no  existen los problemas , los que nos quejamos somos 3 o 4 nada más  y lo  que pasa es que  no tenemos ni idea de configurar nuestros ordenadores ... ...tendremos que estudiar ingeniería para poder jugar .........
.......dicen los sabios , solo se que no se nada 

saludos 
Edited by E69_antiguo
  • Upvote 1

Is this a laptop? I only know about laptop gpu's with the 2Go in their name. If so, the gpu could be struggling with IL2:BoS. Have you tried to reduce the graphics details?

The rendering of the plane/environment in the menus is taxing for the cpu/gpu. This could be the cause of the lagging mouse pointer.

Yes it is a laptop ! But i Run FSX with it, and don't face any hurdles... As well as Arma 3, BF4 etc...

More likely the game is using the on chip Intel HD4600 intergrated graphics  and not the 970, common problem with laptops and APU's, mouse lag points to this

2 Go maybe french for 2Gb?

That system should run BoS fairly well

Cheers Dakpilot

Yes 2Gb. 

So how culd I check this? And change it ? :) 

Thanks for your replies.

Devs already stated the work on the optimization side was/is planned. Should we all wait for the pacth to be reléase and see??.

Antiguo, its not you and 2 or 3 more but is not the mayority. If it was Im sure the issue will be all over the fórum. From my squad, none has reported problems.

Yes it is a laptop ! But i Run FSX with it, and don't face any hurdles... As well as Arma 3, BF4 etc...

Yes 2Gb. 

So how culd I check this? And change it ? :) 

Thanks for your replies.

Try opening Nvidia control panel  look at system info, check for 970, select BoS under programs and change a setting, set Texture filtering - quality  to -performance, save to create a profile, this may link BoS to using the grx card rather than APU 

otherwise it is a BIOS setting

Cheers Dakpilot

I report some ingame freezes since yesterday evening.

Edited by Aiglenoir

My System:

Asus Strix GTX970 OC

Win7 home

Yes, it's been done this way for framerate reasons. Apparently rendering the grass requires significant resources.

The point is, that the game is not optimized properly. Now you have people who can play there other games and what not, that are way graphically better and more demanding then il2 battle of Stalingrad. With that said that's really going to make people very angry. This oh its isolated nonsense is a grand excuse, but honestly if your rig runs everything else on max setting including rise of flight, and the only program that doesn't is il2 battle of Stalingrad, well there's your sign people. Only thing that us die hard fans can do is hope the next update will be the golden ticket. Lets face it you don't need a GeForce 980 titan to have a great rig. So something needs to be done or eventually the other shoe going to drop.

Just because some people are having problems does not have anything to do with optimization. Its a word entirely too many throw around without understanding what it actually means. You want to see something not optimized properly, that actually is not optimized? ArmAII and ArmAIII. THOSE are the examples of poorly optimized. Everyone has issues with performance with those. There is also a sim that is poorly optimized, the very definition of poorly optimized.

It is isolated, like it or not, not everyone is experiencing it. It's isolated to multiplayer for most, and the problem is everyone is playing the same maps and mission parameters that existed prior despite there being changes to several things - such as tank AI. That necessitates a revision in MP missions, which is where everyone is having a problem that is experiencing the performance issue.

A server with a brand new mission, with less objects, would everyone still be experiencing the problem? Who knows, no one has tried it.

This sim may not be the most graphically challenging, but that doesn't mean anything considering it is far more CPU intensive than the other very pretty graphically challenging games. There's far more to compute behind the scenes than just pretty graphics.

Again, it is isolated - not everyone is experiencing it and there would be far more people complaining about it if everyone, or even most, were experiencing it.

Edited by FuriousMeow

OK so  how about planetside2. that is one of the most cpu intensive games you can play il2 doesn't even touch it. I play that maxed out up to 3000 playes per map going at it no problems. So are you saying meow that il2 the only game on my rig that has slight micro stutters, sound issues, and every ten minutes a freeze frame but in between its buttery smooth, that its the only game that has a conflict with my operating system. Doesn't add up. Hell  I built this computer just for il2 and my specs far exceed what is need to play this simulator.  I really love il2 but come on man this is crazy. ive done everything under the sun to make sure its not my system, down testing individual components of my rig. what more could I do. Post a check list we can all follow and we can try steps we maybe didn't think of.

• Upvote 1

Sorry but Planetside2 (while a demanding game) is not comparable to BoS, it uses the MMO Forgelight game engine and can be played on PS4 

The physics calculations that a sim has to deal with are in a magnitude far beyond what is going on there

That is a very early tech demo from RoF, BoS is built on the same tech but with much more complicated systems modelled, all the AI aircraft use the same FM as player aircraft, which puts a huge workload on CPU

Although demanding it is much better than simple 'scripted' AI as used by other sims, RoF/BoS also have 10's of thousands of trees with DM something no other sim has to deal with all needing CPU compute time

BoS does not need dual GTX980 to look good but it DOES need a decent CPU when there are a lot of AI/players

A sim cannot be compared to an MMO or even something like WT there is just not remotely the same amount of calculations going on behind the scenes, the fact it works so well on mid systems actually impresses me a lot

Each time new features are added the next patch brings optimisations, hopefully this will be the same this time with the next patch as before

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 2

I noticed that people denying this performance issue are not flying MP so often, with large populated server.

So I would like to do a last recap, as a reminder.

A large amount of people noticed a dramatic change in performance : 

- at the day 1 they upgraded to 1.105 (not before

- Especially in large Multiplayer Mode around 84 players

- More often on Summer and Autumn map compared to Winter (that seems a little better there)

- It affect the whole map, but hot populated spots like Target area, spawning Airfields, large dogfight zone become unplayable with stutters.    

- 71st Mastiff posted a video describing exactly the issue  

But, like said SYN_Haashashin let's wait 1.106 for now, as it has been announced in the next coming days.

Edited by MadisonV44
  • Upvote 2

I'm not sure we can say a large amount of people.  And I'm one who took a hit.  Largely fixed on my end by optimizing my system through Nvidia control center.  How many have had a noticible hit?  How many of those fixed it on their end?  We don't know.  I highly doubt it was over a third of the users though.

Fact is that most of those ho have issues after the update 1.105 and posted in here had better performence with the very same settings prior the patch. So even if there is a possible optimisation lack on their end, the performence drop is still related to the update.

I myself lost 10 FPS in average and have done lots of stuff to optimize it (low quality / high performence profiles in NVIDIA controll panel, removed terrain.config file, overclocked GPU) with minimal satisfactory results. As soon as I'm on the ground together with 5 or more guys the 22-25 FPS lagshow starts.

A mate of mine having a similar yet more powerfull machine as me has the same performence drops threwout all presets.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

+1 Stab/JG26_5tuka

You sum up very well the "before/after 1.105" feeling. 

Personally I applied all NVidia 3D tweaking provided by Mastiff. It is optimizing the GPU load effectively (many thanks to him) but it doesn't address the 1.105 stutters issue at all  (you can watch his video in this thread) 

@ SYN_Mike77 : Maybe you could share with us what you improved Mike. Would be much appreciated by those having the issue. Do you mean you don't have any stutters on WoL and run the game fluid even with the 84 pilots online ?  

Edited by MadisonV44

I applied Mastifs settings and turned off anti ailsing and I  back where I was before the patch.  Occasional stutters in crowded servers.  Frame rates from the low 30's down low to the mid 50's up high.  I of course would like to know how much better these settings would have  worked before the patch!  Could I have gone up to high or even ultra settings?   I could before the summer maps  but had backed it down to balanced when they came out.

Gents you can do as much tweaking as you want , We just need to wait for next patch . There are issues we all know this .

• Upvote 1

Well  regardless of how cpu intensive bos is if a fx 8 core that runs at 4.0 ghz isn't enough then theres a problem. my system windows 10 64bit, fx 8core 4.0ghz, r9 290x 4gb ram ddr5, 16 gigs of ram on the mother board.

This may help some.  Had some success running on WOL (with 7 others logged in) tonight after a long break, my max frames for the game are set at 60Hz, and as long as my monitor is set to 144Hz I kept getting stutters. As soon as I set it down to 60Hz also on the side of my monitor, it got way smoother. Either way, the game wasn't that sensitive before the last patch, but now it works(at least for the last hour).

• Upvote 1

An 8 core FX at 4.0Ghz has about half the single core  performance of an equivalently priced i5, when overclocked the performance gap increases more, with AMD not seeing such improvements when O/C'd

This is not an opinion it is just how the different systems work

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Look for your CPU on the above chart  and compare

In a very few commercial applications and only a couple of games written specifically to take advantage of 8 core multithreading you will see parity with i5/i7

All flight sims from way back with MS FS, DCS, IL-2 are heavy single core performance users, not so much with general games.

This is not the same issue as the latest patch reducing performance on all systems across the board, which hopefully will be improved with the next patch 

the problem you are describing is system performance related and not really a "problem"

in synthetic multithread performance test an AMD FX8320 beats an i5 3570k easily but in single thread comparison an FX8320 is beaten by an intel celeron G1610 @ 2,6Ghz....horses for courses

Cheers Dakpilot