Han

Developer Diary, Part 114 - Discussion

Good news everyone!

The end of November is near, and the beta-testing of the next update, 1.105, is near its end as well. Today I'll tell you about what our team prepared this time. It's hard to pinpoint a biggest feature, so lets say there are three main and interesting additions to the game:

1. German two-seater fighter Bf 110 E-2...

2. Player controlled tanks...

3. Mouse controls...

...list of the new additions and fixes that are ready for 1.105...

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 7

Some long-awaited "tiny" fixes along with the big boys. (contrails, randomized tracers, G-2 throttle, 109 tail fix...)

Thank you!!!

• Upvote 1

Interesting update.. I like the fact that server hosts can disable mouse controls.... Otherwise that would be a huge issue.. I don't imagine too many MC servers will be up when it is all said and done but having the option does not hurt.

• Upvote 1

When they added mouse controls for rise of flight, it broke my controls (couldn't look around with mouse, and pilot head controls weren't working on "pan" mode, even on joystick control setup) so i hope it doesn't mess with anything this time, ill just avoid mouse controls since i have a joystick anyway. Otherwise, looking forward to tanks and 110 :)

• Upvote 1

I like the new things overall...only thing i don't like is the War Thunder mode...I left that game for a couple of reasons, this being one of them

3. Hmmm. I will have to re-read this bit but I think you'll find me on the 'joystick only' servers if there are any.

same here. I think it will easy to find joystick only servers. WoL and FL will probably be Stick only i think.

Seeing that we have the patch notes already...Patch on Tuesday?

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar
  • Upvote 1

There are some nice fixes and I'm excited for Bf 110 and Tanks, but being a Warthunder refugee myself, I have great fears for the mouse-pointer control. I was hoping the mouse control would be something like the system in Rise of Flight.

I hope it will be possible to actually stall a plane or do a snaproll with those mouse controls.

• Upvote 1

There are some nice fixes and I'm excited for Bf 110 and Tanks, but being a Warthunder refugee myself, I have great fears for the mouse-pointer control. I was hoping the mouse control would be something like the system in Rise of Flight.

I hope it will be possible to actually stall a plane or do a snaproll with those mouse controls.

no stalling means restricted controls, so mouse users shouldn't be able to 

follow maneuvers from joystick players that are able to push the planes

far to it's limits

• Upvote 1

I like the new things overall...only thing i don't like is the War Thunder mode...I left that game for a couple of reasons, this being one of them

same here. I think it will easy to find joystick only servers. WoL and FL will probably be Stick only i think.

Seeing that we have the patch notes already...Patch on Tuesday?

Mate, just because people CAN control planes by the mouse, it doesn't mean the physics will suddenly become as simplistic as in WT. The devs made sure mouse control is not an advantage. As Han said, if a new player buys BoS, he can fiddle around with his mouse in career mode, but by the time he wants to join MP he will consider buying a stick.

Also, it can be turned off on the server's side. No harm done at all.

Edited by Reflected
  • Upvote 11

Once again, nice list of fixes and improvements on top of the tanks and Bf-110! If someone wants to fly with the mouse, it`s good if he is able to do that IMO. Could bring some new people in.

Special thanks for this:  

5. Planes made for Battle of Moscow are added to Battle of Stalingrad campaign as AI controlled planes based on their real life participation in the battle (they appear in certain time periods): La-5 ser.8, MC.202 ser.8, Bf 109 E-7, Bf 110 E-2, I-16 type 24 and P-40E-1. This makes the campaign more interesting and its chapters more diverse.

Also glad to see new AI improvements!

I think we have another great patch coming. Good job everyone and thanks for the news  :salute:

Edited by Zami
  • Upvote 2

no stalling means restricted controls, so mouse users shouldn't be able to 

follow maneuvers from joystick players that are able to push the planes

far to it's limits

Yes but mouse allows for way more precise aiming and better lead when shooting at long range.

Doesn't sound that bad until you get an enemy firing at you 500 meters below and stalling, and still managing to hit you.

Edited by Siipiorava
  • Upvote 1

I like the new things overall...only thing i don't like is the War Thunder mode

It doesn't transform the game into War Thunder. 

I was hoping the mouse control would be something like the system in Rise of Flight.

It is 

• Upvote 1

Nice update.

I am a little concerned on why to use African reference for the currently available maps. Doiesnt this mean that the 109 will effectively open radiators AS IF it was african weather tand therefor open the radiators more rendering the aircraft ultimately slower?

Sounds like an artificial "gamebalance nerf". Please. Tell me I am wrong:)

EDIT: I dont mind the mousecontrols if it brings in more players. Doesnt look as if you could become competetive against a player with proper simmergear (Stick TIR etc.).

Edited by Winger

Doesn't sound that bad until you get an enemy firing at you 500 meters below and stalling, and still managing to hit you.

I highly doubt you are going to see that happen.

• Upvote 1

Mate, just because people CAN control planes by the mouse, it doesn't mean the physics will suddenly become as simplistic as in WT. The devs made sure mouse control is not an advantage. As Han said, if a new player buys BoS, he can fiddle around with his mouse in career mode, but by the time he wants to join MP he will consider buying a stick.

Also, it can be turned off on the server's side. No harm done at all.

BoS is a Fight SIM...this kind of control. Has nothing to do with a SIM... That's just my opionion.

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar
  • Upvote 2

EDIT: I dont mind the mousecontrols if it brings in more players. Doesnt look as if you could become competetive against a player with proper simmergear (Stick TIR etc.).

Plays fine with a XBOX ONE Controller if you only fly Fighter planes. Expert or Normal Difficult all can be played with Game Console Controller.

You are wrong. ;) 

• Upvote 2

It is 

Sorry, my bad. I thought the ROF system as a virtual joystick, controlled by the mouse, being a joystick player, I was uninformed. Still doesn't change my mind about the disparity of the two control schemes though.

Edited by Siipiorava

Lots of big news and an extensive list of small important ones. It's impressive that nearly all of the 'pain points' people brought up in the past week or so were evaluated and fixed so quickly (contrails, tracers, Bf-109 tail, nose-overs, AI fighter-bombers, etc.)

I have big hopes for the mouse controls - nearly every time I try to get someone into a proper flight simulator the first thing they do is try to pull up or turn and immediately throw themselves into a spin they can't recover from. If the plane straightens out by itself they try to turn again, stall once more and crash. Massively demoralising for them. This is a good accessible way for people to play and enjoy. Not worried about MP though, most new players don't want to cruise around for 25 minutes to be jumped by an experienced pilot from 2k above and have their aircraft shredded. They will sit on single player or most of the time, and even on MP they can't really push the plane past the limits. It's a great way to experience the flight and fight without the hardships, and also watch the stick and rudder move so they can learn how to do it once they get theirs too.

Winger, I think what they mean is they used the data obtained from African theatres to show the functioning of the radiators. The specifics are up to the actual mission temperature (i.e. 15 degrees in autumn will work like 15C, 39C in the summer or desert will be 39C).

• Upvote 2

BoS is a Fight SIM...this kind of control. Has nothing to do with a SIM... That's just my opinion.

Whatever man. It's not the doom and gloom shoot-em-up War Thunder mode you are making it out to be. 

Nice update.

I am a little concerned on why to use African reference for the currently available maps. Doiesnt this mean that the 109 will effectively open radiators AS IF it was african weather tand therefor open the radiators more rendering the aircraft ultimately slower?

It is just a reference, though, it seems it could effect climbs at ground level a bit. The actual air temperature is accounted for in the game and the rads should function properly.

*looks like others type faster than I do :)

Edited by [LBS]HerrMurf

The list of fixes and additions is impressive, some long awaited like the G2 throtlle, and will certainly satisfy a lot of people.

About the new mouse control: No doubt a lot of players, who haven't played RoF will be wary about introducing such an "arcade" feature, but let me assure you: It's not[/i] in any way like WT control or similar. All it does is provide a player with the same controls we have without access to a joystick, and it does not give any advantages compared to a joystick, quite the opposite.

Looking forward to the update. A lot to try out:)

It is just a reference though it seems it could effect climbs at ground level a bit. The actual air temperature is accounted for in the game and the rads should function properly.

Thanks for clarifying! Lucas as well!

Edited by Winger

Winger, I think what they mean is they used the data obtained from African theatres to show the functioning of the radiators. The specifics are up to the actual mission temperature (i.e. 15 degrees in autumn will work like 15C, 39C in the summer or desert will be 39C).

Essentially, what it comes down to is, with a larger radiator opening, more hot air is coming into the engine, which means the radiator has to maintain a larger opening in order to keep the engine properly cooled. You all will see soon enough how it works. :) 

Whatever man. It's not the doom and gloom shoot-em-up War Thunder mode you are making it out to be. 

looks like it in the video to me

Does it give slower performance though ( I'm not accusing anyone of nerfing, just interested in what it means for performance)

No, it does not.

Essentially, what it comes down to is, with a larger radiator opening, more hot air is coming into the engine, which means the radiator has to maintain a larger opening in order to keep the engine properly cooled. You all will see soon enough how it works. :)

I think he meant: Why do they call it "African" reference. I was wondering the same. What is it about this source that makes it "African"?

looks like it in the video to me

Try it first, and then make an informed opinion. :)

I think he meant: Why do they call it "African" reference. I was wondering the same. What is it about this source that makes it "African"?

My guess is the allusion to the North African theater.

BoS is a Fight SIM...this kind of control. Has nothing to do with a SIM... That's just my opionion.

I wouldn't ever fly without a joystick either, but since it doesn't change anything about how the planes fly and control, then I certainly don't mind others using mouse control.

Besides: It won't be hard at all to find joystick-only servers.

• Upvote 1

No, it does not.

well, in a way, yes: Overheating will cost you more speed due to the extra drag caused by the rads that are wider open.

Try it first, and then make an informed opinion.  :)

I don't see why i should play mouse aim mode in a Flight SIM if i have a HoTas and Pedals. No thanks  :salute:  As i said before, there is a reason i play this game and not WT ;)

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar

About the new mouse control: No doubt a lot of players, who haven't played RoF will be wary about introducing such an "arcade" feature, but let me assure you: It's not[/i] in any way like WT control or similar. All it does is provide a player with the same controls we have without access to a joystick, and it does not give any advantages compared to a joystick, quite the opposite.

Looking forward to the update. A lot to try out:)

Check the video then, it looks exactly like WT, you control where the plane is pointing with your mouse cursor & the fly by wire system/"helper" flies the plane for you and compensates instantly by cross controlling ruder, roll & pitch for you. 

Just check what the virtual stick does on the runway even though he keeps the mouse cursor in the same spot. 

I don't see why i should play mouse aim mode in a Flight SIM if i have a HoTas and Pedals. No thanks  :salute:  As i said before, there is a reason i play this game and not WT ;)

Great, then don't use it. The point is, mouse control is for people who don't have a joystick to be able to play the game with a mouse. That's it. No one is taking away your HOTAS. 

Relax already.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 2

Even if it was WT-like - which it isn't, just try it - people can play like that in SP, that won't hurt you. As for MP, jump on a stick only server. Problem solved.

• Upvote 2