Han

Developer Diary, Part 113 - Discussion

Hmm, I do like the thought of tanks. But I hope they will be properly sim-like, as I've been wanting a modern Steel Fury type sim for ages. My main question watching the video, is will you be giving movement orders to the diver when playing as gunner, or do you have to drive for your self by switching seats as shown? And will there be a turret interior as well? Ability to turn out from the gunner's/commander's hatch? As much as I enjoy playing War Thunder's ground vehicles, WoT, and Armored Warfare now and again, I would much prefer to have this game handle you playing as a crew member with other AI crew members that the player gives orders to, rather than the player controlling all functions of the tank directly. I have enough arcade and semi-arcade tank games in my life, give me a new tank sim please!  :biggrin:

• Upvote 5

Does the player have open turret view from the tank, or just driver/gunner view?

Edited by BraveSirRobin

i just hope you guys wont keep us waiting to long for the Bf 110

• Upvote 1

I think this is a great addition to the game. Looks wonderful and would be a great change of pace. Should attract additional players, too. Great idea...I am looking forward to your update that adds these changes. Excellent work!

Great video! Can't wrote how excited I'm about tanks. 

Anyway, did he get that Katyusha we heard?

P.S. people from "Do you fly with honour?" and "without air knight" topics surely will appreciate that the tankist letft the guy runnng from that car alone :-)

What will be the unlock options for the Ju-88? Will it also get the WB81 gunpots and the optional fixed 20 mm MG FF, so we can use it in low level attacks?

• Upvote 1

The prospect of annihilating human-controlled armor in my Würger makes me real happy!  Nice update y'all, and thanks.

Awesome! Thanks for the tanks! ...and 110 of course ;)

As someone mentioned above some sort of quick mission only for tanks would be great.

And to really enjoy tanks we need the most detailed damage modeling possible. I really dont want an "arcade" tank sim.

(...)Mainly, would you like them?.

Absolutely! Multi-crewing tanks with buddies flying in support will remind me the Golden Era of WW2Online like a decade ago.

Will human tankers be able to command AI tanks too? And will there be bases to spawn from in tank?

• Upvote 1

As a gameplay mechanic,it would be great if tanks could capture airfields and switch sides, so friendly planes can take off from there

Also, could there be a separate playable commanders position in the appropriate tanks? Would be fun to play as commander with a couple of friends as gunner and driver. 

So there is a M1 Abrams model sitting at 777 Studios offices

Next game confirmed Battle of Fulda Gap with F-15, F-16, A-10, M1 Abrams, M60, M2 Bradley vs  Su-27, MiG-29, Su-25, T-80, T-72 BMP-2

*Runs away*

Do hope that Commander station will be modelled eventually (obviously in the Russian tanks, gunner will have to double as commander)

Edited by RoflSeal

So there is a M1 Abrams model sitting at 777 Studios offices

Next game confirmed Battle of Fulda Gap with F-15, F-16, A-10, M1 Abrams, M60, M2 Bradley vs  Su-27, MiG-29, Su-25, T-80, T-72 BMP-2

*Runs away*

Yeah, I think this is the most likely scenario  :biggrin:

Impressive diary. Would love to see more that are so in-depth.

I'm a flight simmer first and foremost, and the planes will always be what carries this sim for me. Nonetheless I'm extremely excited to see, what the devs have done with this, and look forward to some nice tank action. The interiors look really nice and the ground physics look convincing.

All in all 1.105 looks like another really beefy update to look forward to. Great job! :salute:

Nice additions to the base game!  Looking forward to the armor battles down below  :salute:

Impressive diary. Would love to see more that are so in-depth.

:

This really please. I know it takes time and is not really necessary all the time but it would save so much speculative bull and negative dev hate ranting that I think it would be a good investment Edited by [TBC]AeroACE
  • Upvote 1

It is absolutely wonderful to see the first screenshots of the Ju 88 A-4. I'm really looking forward to following its progress over the next few months.

The A-4 variant of the Ju 88 is the reason I'm supporting BoM.

• Upvote 1

Very interesting and exciting update. I'm looking forward to trying the tanks when they get added for testing.

I'm also very interested to see how the tanks are packaged and sold within the current structure of the game, provided they are popular enough for development to continue. Do we get one pack with planes and tanks? Will it be more expensive? Will tanks and planes be separate packs? Could there be an optional for nation packs, i.e. German planes + tanks or Russian planes + tanks? These are decisions that are probably yet to be made. I'm just thinking ahead since money is a strong consideration for me and I'm very selective about what I buy into as a result, hence why I have no BoM tag.

Exciting times ahead.

Amazing! I rarely get that "I'm a 4 yr old excited for christmas" feeling anymore. But watching that tank footage took me there! I can't wait!

Wouldn't the T-34 v Panzer IV be a more appropriate matchup than the Panzer III.

in your dream...

T34 is much armored, have angled armor end faster of pz3, in graviteam Pz3 vs T34 is a massacre

If the tanks will be included...this Sim really need the possibility to play with a dynamic front in a tournament..where planes and tanks influence with their operations the situation...

Great job developers

Looking forward for Junkers.  :)

...about tanks - I'm not sure if it's the right way to IL2 BoS/BoM/BoXxx. My feelings are rather inconsistent.  :unsure:

Edited by II./JG1_Baron
  • Upvote 2

What will be the unlock options for the Ju-88? Will it also get the WB81 gunpots and the optional fixed 20 mm MG FF, so we can use it in low level attacks?

I was thinking the sam low level attacks would be great!

Devs, fantastic news. You all doing a great job. Cant believe it. Now, the 110 is nearly finished and some news on the Ju 88. Like the 110 i cant wait to see the A-4 version of the 88.

I would go for the tanks if i knew, that later havier tanks will be implemented. I like the idea. As mentioned, hopefully there will be a commanders view too.

From my side: Go on with the "tank sim" ;)

in your dream...

T34 is much armored, have angled armor end faster of pz3, in graviteam Pz3 vs T34 is a massacre

The PzKpfw. III has been upgraded with additional armour, means it has 50mm + 20mm at the front. In addition the T-34 is an early 1941 model with the stubby 76mm gun. Infact you can say they were favouring the germans as the PzKpfw. III L with the 5cm/L60 appeared later in the war when russians fielded more modern versions of the T-34 and it became a real threat.

The sayed gun should be able to deal with T-34s quite well, especially the early model with only 35mm frontal armour.

The mobility of the PzKpfw.III is not far behind the T-34. In normal tank vs tank engagements the difference will probably be minor to irrelevant.

What should be to the PzKpfw,III's favour is the better gun optics and shell ballistics. The L/60 is a high velocity gun unlike the short 76mm canon the T-34 has which - combined wit better sights - will come in handy at long to medium range engagements.

If they implemented the mid 1942-1943 T-34 with the long 76mm gun and better frontal armour like those the PzKpfw.III L faced in reality things might look a bit different. Still, it was not until the T-34 85 and IS-series that the PzKpfw.III was considered obsolete as a frontline combat tank.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Hi Guys,

Very good update. Have two questions though.

First i like the first screens of the Ju-88. I was suprised by the extra bomb brackets on the inner wing pods. Are those for 50kg bombs? Never seen those on photos.

Secondly i'm i bit worried about this comment:

"at the same time we considered the possibilities of increasing map detail at the cost of reducing its total size to better suit ground warfare and the results were good as well."

At the moment i think the mapsize is perfect for the tactical flightsim warfare and allow a perfect balance for missions when it comes to flightdurations. Making the maps smaller might compromise that.

Thank you.

Martijn

Edited by martijnvdm

The PzKpfw. III has been upgraded with additional armour, means it has 50mm + 20mm at the front. In addition the T-34 is an early 1941 model with the stubby 76mm gun. Infact you can say they were favouring the germans as the PzKpfw. III L with the 5cm/L60 appeared later in the war when russians fielded more modern versions of the T-34 and it became a real threat.

The sayed gun should be able to deal with T-34s quite well, especially the early model with only 35mm frontal armour.

The mobility of the PzKpfw.III is not far behind the T-34. In normal tank vs tank engagements the difference will probably be minor to irrelevant.

What should be to the PzKpfw,III's favour is the better gun optics and shell ballistics. The L/60 is a high velocity gun unlike the short 76mm canon the T-34 has which - combined wit better sights - will come in handy at long to medium range engagements.

If they implemented the mid 1942-1943 T-34 with the long 76mm gun and better frontal armour like those the PzKpfw.III L faced in reality things might look a bit different. Still, it was not until the T-34 85 and IS-series that the PzKpfw.III was considered obsolete as a frontline combat tank.

t34/76 and t34/85 had 45mm frontal armor and in 1941 had already f-34 as a main gun i think.

Wouldn't the T-34 v Panzer IV be a more appropriate matchup than the Panzer III.

No the percentage Panzer at the Battle of Stalingrad was in fact the Pz III F/G/J long barrel variants.  The Pz IVs were there, but the vast majority of the tanks were Pz III.  It was a nother factor in the defeat of the Germans that the T-34 was in ascenency at Stalingrad while German Panzer units were struggling with the Weather, logistics, and sloped armor....

Hi Guys,

Very good update. Have two questions though.

First i like the first screens of the Ju-88. I was suprised by the extra bomb brackets on the inner wing pods. Are those for 50kg bombs? Never seen those on photos.

The extra bomb brackets are the same we have on the FW 190 A3 now they could be carried by all planes with bomb-carrier ( pods) for 500kg or more.

They are for all 50kg and 70kg bombs.

And you could also carrie 4x AB 70 container for cluster bombs

post-385-0-15787300-1447355016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunsmith86

I love tanks...I am all for a combined arms.  Always have been.  I have concerns about how the tanks will affect server resources in Multiplayer and whether servers will be able to assign a limited number of Tank "slots" so we don't turn into an online Tank Sim!?

I would love to see this capability matured.  They look really beautiful in this engine, and a Tiger or KV-1 would be a blast to play, but I don't want modelling and FM resources that could be used to further the flight sim aspect of this franchise being used on tanks. 

Tanks are great, but shouldn't be done at the expense of new aircraft, new theaters.  But if we can do them, that means we can do Carriers right?