Han

Developer Diary, Part 113 - Discussion

Hello everyone!

Today we want to tell you several news from IL-2 Sturmovik project.

First, we finished two-seat fighter Bf 110 E-2 flight model and start working on physics of another aircraft, Ju 88 A-4...

Second, while preparing playable tanks for the beta test, we made significant improvements to the ballistics and armor modeling...

Third, we observe the discussion 'how far can you reach from the cockpit in the flight' on the forums...

And the fourth thing today is the one we've been asked about many times. Player controllable tanks...

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 17

Nice tank! - However, this is a flight sim for flight simmers so like most in here (I guess) I'm much more excited about the airplane news. The Ju-88 looks great, even without a paintjob.

Edited by Freycinet
  • Upvote 1

That tank battle was jaw-dropping, the Ju-88 is looking great too and it seems the head-drama should be settled now - great job, guys! :salute:

• Upvote 1

I'm also in favour of tanks even though I won't play around with them. This is because I'm sure they will bring in new customers. Any initial development diverted from planes to tanks will surely be more than compensated by the extra income from an expanded player base. Also, tank buffs may discover planes and come over to the dark side!

• Upvote 4

Great update. Lots of detail

Since I'm playing Tiger vs T34, SSi's Panzer Commander, iPanzer '44, Wings Simulations's Panzer Elite and more recently Graviteam's Steel Fury Kharkov 1942, this cant' be a better news ! You make my day ! Thanks 777 team ! :)

• Upvote 10

I take back anything negative I've said about having tanks in the game....that video looks amazing :)

• Upvote 1

This is absolutely amazing!

Tanks look great and im sure they will be a great addition to the sim.

Its amazing how you take a scientific approach to issues when many other developpers would have made an arbitrary decision.

Im very impressed!

Edited by Jade_Monkey

love the tank idea.

Presumably in the future tanks with AAA capability will be player controlled? I think it would be great if we saw an AI tank platoon with a human commander and more types of trees so that human-controlled tanks could take cover from enemy aircraft.

I also like the simplicity of control. This should attract many potential players.

combined air-ground warfare + increased number of players in MP = win

Edited by [DBS]airdoc

bring on the tanks!

Edited by I./ZG76Asgar

NICE! So 110 next week?

Till the end of November

Presumably in the future tanks with AAA capability will be player controlled? I

Possible

Wouldn't the T-34 v Panzer IV be a more appropriate matchup than the Panzer III.

PzIII have 70mm of armour on face :) 

Thx, for me one of the most interesting updates we have. thx.

Interaction  human planes whit human tanks its very interesting and funny .

I particularly like how the gunner on that armoured car held out for a bit then said "to hell with it, I'm leaving".

• Upvote 2

Wouldn't the T-34 v Panzer IV be a more appropriate matchup than the Panzer III.

The PzKpfw. III (porbably Ausf.J) has the longer 5cm L/60 cannon that could infact pierce the early T-34's armour quite reasonably well. Both tanks make quite sense to me (also though PzKpfw. IV might be better first) as their effective fire range is limited and combat between both more close than a Late Pzkpfw IV vs T-34 85 for example. It's also a good move to start with some "weaker" tanks to test the balistic and physical modeling of the vehicles than going for the "big boys" straight ahead.

The PzKpfw. III is one of my favourite tank designs and I'm really looking forward to it.

Now to the tank feauture. I really like the perspective this team has in mind for tank gameplay (in particular cooperative or single player vehicle gameplay and the tendency moved towards realism than low fidelity) and think it will be a good idea to go ahead with it, IF there's no major shift in ressources from the airplane modeling (I'm sure there won't).

Also, as I sayed earier, in order o gather pure tank players ground vehicles needed to become a standalone module with only the tanks and maps. There doesn't have to be a compaign but maybe quick missions as a "testdrive" mode.

Unnessecary to mention more tanks needed to be created. In addition armoured cars and self propelled anti aircraft guns might be usefull (personally I don't consider them totally nessecary).

Looking forward to the live test, but I'm still unsure if current player numbers are enought for both air and ground combat reasonably.

Ju 88 looks nice, especially the Doppelringlafette is a nice suprise.

Great Dev Diary! 

Ju-88 looks good, it is a great plane. Improved ballistics and armor modeling looks as a great improvement. Same goes for pilot head movement, good job. 

And Pzkfw III video is impressive. I was doubtful of using resources for tanks but since the technology is there it would be foolish not to use it. Tanks are welcomed addition. Well done!

Thanks for through explanation of these things. Very informative!  :salute:

That's all really impressive. The tanks look like they will be an interesting addition (and fun). Initially I had some doubts, but now I'm happy to see them.

And it's great to see continued improvement of the various aspects of the game. Improved ground handling last time. This time more realistic modelling for pilot heads outside the cockpit.

One question - the improved armour penetration modelling that has come about from the tank development work will also benefit and apply to the aircraft models? And the net effect will be a slight decrease in lethality due to the more accurate modelling? Is that right?

Brilliant update! It all feels like a plan coming together!

[it's great the 3-D modellers were able to take a break from making the Ju52 cockpit!    :P ]

One question - the improved armour penetration modelling that has come about from the tank development work will also benefit and apply to the aircraft models? And the net effect will be a slight decrease in lethality due to the more accurate modelling? Is that right?

Offcourse.

• Upvote 6

grewt news.. especially wing wise. not beeing a tank buff myself, I have many squadmembers who will cheer.

It would be interesting to read Han about your team's view on player count. Is it so that Tanks are less demanding on computer resources that it won't affect max players level as much as an airplane? less complicated calculations?

Edited by SvAF/F19_Klunk

grewt news.. especially wing wise. not beeing a tank buff myself, I have many squadmembers who will cheer.

It would be interesting to read Han about your team's view on player count. Is it so that Tanks are less demanding on computer resources that it won't affect max players level as much as an airplane? less complicated calculations?

Yes. Tank have less affect on performance.

• Upvote 2

I can't wait until these tanks are in the game... then the real agony will start.

If you think the 'experten' in flight sims are a vocal community, just see what the armchair generals will be raving about when it comes to armoured warfare... lol!

Having said that, first of all you need to convince those people to buy an expensive flight sim!

One of the best dev Diarys!

Thanks and very well done!!!

And i like the tanks too.

Ju 88 looks great!

:salute:

Edited by Gunsmith86

Crewing a tank with a friend sounds like a lot of fun! Great update thanks.

At first time i don't care about tanks, I just love the planes!
BUT THIS LOOK AWESOME GUYS - WELL DONE!

I'm just afraid that the game will be even more demanding on my computer. After the last patch it handles so-so.

But I'm willing to buy a new computer just because of this game  :cool:

GREAT JOB

Stug III long barrel 75mm is my favourite. Don't forget her  :salute:

Great job on heads out issue !!! 

Edited by KG62_Gielow