6./ZG26_McKvack

Would you rather have a new Battle of X that follows BOM and BOS(plane capabilities) or would you like something new?

I just think that we had enough early WW2 fighting. Both BOM and BOS are from period of 1941-1942. I would love to see some 1944-45 fights, and Battle of Bulge is good as Ardennes are very interesting terrain with hills and mountains everywhere and forests and small villages. Yet another place where the amazing snow that BOS has can be showcased to the fullest, but unlike the fields of Stalingrad, the theatre has very varied terain. There are plenty of airplanes that would be for multiple roles, leaving a space for flexibility.

Flyable planes for Allies:

P-47D30

P-51D20

P-38L

B25

Premium

Tempest MkV

Flyable planes for Axis

Bf109G14

Fw190D9

Fw190A8

Me410

Premium

Ta152H1

That's a good selection. I like that quite a bit for the diversity and variety. The A-8 could also be a F-8 too (through unlocks).

The A-8 could also be a F-8 too (through unlocks).

No, not really. There were enough differences between the two to warrant them being separate, unique planes.  

That, and the Ta 152 is far, far too early for a Winter 1944 scenario. Me 410s were solely recon planes by this point in the war as well. 

Swap the 410 for the F-8 and the Ta 152 for the 109 K-4, and it would be much more plausible.

Edited by LukeFF

I probably would, but the A-8 was far more common

Edited by Saurer

But if you are modelling during the Bondenplatte period, you kinda need to model 150 Octane for the P-51 at least, since 352nd Fighter Group took part in that battle, and they were running 150 Octane by then.

Same for the Tempest, since 2nd TAF had begun the switch to 150 Octane in that time period.

I wish it was that simple. Look at how the P-40's WEP is modeled.

@Lucas

Spitfire is interesting, but that would mean sacrificing at least one of the plane's from the plane's set, if we take into consideration how each of those content packages are made (2xFighters, 1xBomber, 1xAttacker and 1x Premium). I would never sacrifice P-51D and I feel like P-47 is very important too. P-38 is very underplayed in simulation. I have yet to see a very good FM for one. Tempest is very rare as well. While Spitfire has it's focus in CLOD. Yes it is the old Mk1 and 2 but still a Spit. While those USAAF planes are condemned as lame and for once need to be heros. That's just what I feel. :pioneer:

I do not say NO. I am just saying that I wouldn't realy want to sacrifice any of those planes for the Spitfire. Even if do not particularly like P-38. I would much rather see a Birtish focused expansion next, rather than just pushing the Spit. I just propose my thing, they will do (if they want :ph34r: ) what they want with it. :P

Edited by =LD=Solty

Replace the 410 with the Arado 234 and you might have a balanced planeset :P

On a serious not tge Arado would actually fit. Their first action on the western front was in the first days of operation Overlord (sure they were only used as recons until 1945, but thats of no matter in BoS/BoM either).

Overall I think it's rather unlikely to see such a scenario in new future because I don't think they'd like step on EDs toes.

Replace the 410 with the Arado 234 and you might have a balanced planeset :P

On a serious not tge Arado would actually fit. Their first action on the western front was in the first days of operation Overlord (sure they were only used as recons until 1945, but thats of no matter in BoS/BoM either).

Overall I think it's rather unlikely to see such a scenario in new future because I don't think they'd like step on EDs toes.

As if ED had a exclusive rights to the western front scenario.

• Upvote 1

Bad idea to go head to head with one of the few companies in your market when you can both live happily without clashing. If WW2 1944 fails for ED they can happily go back to Hormuz, Georgia or Nevada. If a WW2 1944 fails here, that's a crippling loss of a whole development cycle that a younger company like 1C:GS might not recover from.

Also, Jason and Matt Wagner are close friends, Han used to work at ED before neoqb and so on.

Considering ED is also doing Corsica 1943 I doubt Med will be next either and as said over 1000 times, my bet is that the next Western aircraft here will be the Airacobra and Boston/Havoc, with maybe a Spitfire Mk V to go around. Then a N. Africa map is more viable with the currently existing plane set.

North Africa ... that sand and dirt ... I can almost feel it between my teeth. A funny and interesting scenario could be France 1940. French aircraft were not bad at all, you could also have some Hurricanes, Curtiss H-75 ... And its like a dream for Stuka pilots, french tanks everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

Bad idea to go head to head with one of the few companies in your market when you can both live happily without clashing. If WW2 1944 fails for ED they can happily go back to Hormuz, Georgia or Nevada. If a WW2 1944 fails here, that's a crippling loss of a whole development cycle that a younger company like 1C:GS might not recover from.

Also, Jason and Matt Wagner are close friends, Han used to work at ED before neoqb and so on.

Considering ED is also doing Corsica 1943 I doubt Med will be next either and as said over 1000 times, my bet is that the next Western aircraft here will be the Airacobra and Boston/Havoc, with maybe a Spitfire Mk V to go around. Then a N. Africa map is more viable with the currently existing plane set.

When did ED say they were doing Corsica? VEAO have on their laundry list North Africa, that's it, and considering the development speed and quality of the Hawk, I don't have high hopes for it.

I can't remember the whole story but as far as memory goes it will be available for DCS too eventually.

There are a few clues hidden within the DCS subdirectories, see in Bazar\shaders\terrain\functions and you can see CorsicaNoise.hlsl and interestingly TurkmenistanNoise.hlsl

Anyhow, my bets are on Kuban, then a N. Africa or Italy map & campaign (since the aircraft will be mostly there), then some Eastern Front 1944 or 1941 again.

By the time ED releases Corsica or any other WWII map, we will have 3 other IL2 maps out.

They would need to release a bunch of bombers and other aircraft too. In my mind, I see DCS as an "eternity project".

Anyhow, my bets are on Kuban

The Kuban has always been one of the main contenders... When the game first came out I had a conversation with one of the team who stated that it was a distinct possibility.... However, if they are staying with the eastern front, I hope it is that theatre, or the Crimea... or even both!

• Upvote 1

Many, many years ago I played Rowans Battle of Britain.

The Planes looked a bit flaky, the scenery was a bit flaky too.

BUT ........................

I will never forget flying my Spit in formation on BoB Day, heading along sipping my Earl grey and thinking how spiffing the Sky looked, only to be met by a huge black line across the Horizon.................................That black line was those pesky German Bombers surrounded by swarms of ME 109's frothing at the bits to chomp away on my "Stiff upper lip"!!!

My Squadron Leader yelled "Break" and I swear a little bit of pee came out as I saw the ME 109's swooping in on us................... I survived approx. 30 seconds the first time round !!!

This is what I want from a Flight Sim - We cannot have everything, but I want to know and feel that my ass is on the line every time I get into my virtual cockpit. I want to see realistic amounts of AC in the air. It is so boring being confronted with a flight of 2 / 3 fighters and half a dozen bombers. Most heavy conflicts during WW2 would surely have seen higher numbers of AC?? If Rowans could do it 10 - 15 years ago, we should be able to do it today ;)

To a degree the Dev's have done this with BoS - Only last night I got smashed by a LAGG who, whilst I was limping home in my JU87, he swooped in too fast and after only a short burst of rounds hitting my Plane, I thought SHEESH !! Then he sliced my Wing off  as he couldn't pull away from me (AI Pillock was overspeed by the look of it!!) and sent us both crashing to the ground in a smoldering bundle of scrap - Last time I try to be sneaky and fly home at 100m Altitude !!!

When I "Play" IL2 - I want to experience the War / Pilots experience in a realistic way, or at least as real as it can get sitting on my Computer Chair with a Glass of Wine and Pork scratchings. I want to feel panicked, sweaty, constantly aware of my surroundings. Not just fly lazily along feeling safe and not worrying about the two AI Dots in the distance who ignore me...........

I love the look and feel of IL2 and to me, it does not matter which confict I am in, what matters is the ambience to the Sim.

I fly IL2 for my own reasons, because I love WW2 era aircraft and because I respect the Men that flew these machines and I am lucky enough to never have to face what they did.

If the Developers can work on that, can bring the realism of Numbers rather than leafy trees and shimmering lakes, then I would be happier. When I face my enemy I want to be thinking "Oh [Edited]" not "ooo look at that Oak tree"  lol.

Edited by Bearcat
Language
  • Upvote 3

Nice one Ned. Not sure about the pork scratchings, but the rest is pretty much spot on.

I concur; I had similar feelings flying the MiG-3 in the original IL-2 / FB on the Moscow map and nervously looking about me for 109s that I knew had the advantages at low level.

I would vote for a Kuban map...

Edited by EAF19_Marsh

This is what I want from a Flight Sim - We cannot have everything, but I want to know and feel that my ass is on the line every time I get into my virtual cockpit. I want to see realistic amounts of AC in the air. It is so boring being confronted with a flight of 2 / 3 fighters and half a dozen bombers. Most heavy conflicts during WW2 would surely have seen higher numbers of AC?? If Rowans could do it 10 - 15 years ago, we should be able to do it today

Fully agree...biggest issue of the game in my opinion. That's where CloD, but even more 1946 hold a huge advantage over BoS..numbers of aircrafts in the engagements.

Wanna do "109 1942 style"? Possible in 1946- Just set up a server with 40 Il2s, covered by 12 LaGGs, attacking German ground forces, grab your wingman, and attack them. Great for training purposes, a lot of immersion..i seriously don't mind the graphics, but in terms of immersion in those battles, 1946 is still leaps and bounds ahead BoS. The numbers possible in SP are laughable, i'd never consider playing SP or 2/3 people COOP in BoS. The only way you get somewhat realistic and bigger encounters are online campaigns like the FNBF..but that's pretty much it.

- for me the once flying per week is worth the money, since it's so awesome. But i'd really appreciate to experience those kind of battles more often in BoS.

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*
  • Upvote 2

Dumb down FM and AI in BoS to level of old Sturm and you can have your hundred AIs in the air.

• Upvote 1

yes please! At least for anything apart fighters. As long as they behave plausible, and have plausible DM (like in 46, not like in DCS), i don't care what so ever.

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

Well,that's up to devs.They have 2 possibilities which were presented by Han.

1. To separate physics and AI calculation - this should not compromise FM//AI

2. To dumb down FM and AI

In Q&A thread, option 2 was described as "not in 2016".

Option 1 is connected with DN engine upgrade,which is ,I guess,smtg devs are not ready to talk about yet.

Yes, read about that. That's at least something we can hope for in the future. My biggest wish for this Sim, makes me wanna support this project further

Well i think the eastern front is like a beating the dead horse now. If they decide still doing eastern front - Kuban would be the best damage control. If they want money they should go MTO or PTO.

If they feel like experimenting they could try Spanish Civil War, Battle for France, Battle for Poland (this due to political situation will never ever happen).

Absolutely worst decision would be Finnish War (another snow maps very early after Stalingrad), Early Russian Japanese war (very limited planeset that could be used for pto).

• Upvote 1

Well i think the eastern front is like a beating the dead horse now. If they decide still doing eastern front - Kuban would be the best damage control. If they want money they should go MTO or PTO.

I agree with this. That would be no big issue returning to the eastern front in future since Dev team already has most of the assets created: airfields, trucks, aa guns and all sorts of similar stuff. But going for the Eastern front a third time would be in a certain way repetitive; similar flat territories, similar plane set (more Yaks, 109s, Lavochkins ?). I'd like something fresh, to attract new people.

If they feel like experimenting they could try Spanish Civil War, Battle for France, Battle for Poland (this due to political situation will never ever happen).

From those three, only Battle of France is really suitable. Spanish Civil War while so often recalled isn't nearly as recognizable as others. I cant recall any major server in old Il-2 built around Spanish Civil War scenario. Was often spoken but rarely played. Battle for Poland is totally unsuitable due to limited planeset for Poland, the obsolete PZL P.11C fighter and not so modern PZL P.23 light bomber would be base. The only modern thing is a twin engine bomber -  PZL P.37B. Nope.

Battle of France would be really nice thing to fly over. Huge amount of targets for bombers, lot of work for fighters ...

Absolutely worst decision would be Finnish War (another snow maps very early after Stalingrad), Early Russian Japanese war (very limited planeset that could be used for pto).

I have similar feelings about Afrika, dust and sand could get boring as much as snow :/ 

And Khalkin-Gol wouldn't really have such a limited planeset but its just ... another barely recognizable front. How to promote and sell that ?

The way I see it, either late scenario in Belgium like Solty presented, a 1943 Italy would be fine or Far East / Pacific. Only problem here are distances, however there are places like a Burma in 1944 with pretty close airfields and planeset that could satisfy any Mustang, Spitfire, Hurricane or other fan.  

Edited by =LD=Hiromachi
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely worst decision would be Finnish War (another snow maps very early after

Stalingrad), Early Russian Japanese war (very limited planeset that could be used for pto).

Not arguing with your opinion about the best scenario but you do realize that there are four seasons in Finland?

And no polar bears ;)

• Upvote 2

Zami, what are you on about? Errybody knows that Nordic countries plus Russia only have winter and bears, loads of bears, bears everywhere.

Not arguing with your opinion about the best scenario but you do realize that there are four seasons in Finland?

And no polar bears ;)

4 seasons? :o:

White snow, grey snow, mud, brown snow :lol:

Wolves, Elks, Bears, and did i forget to mention? Elks *blöök*

Zami, what are you on about? Errybody knows that Nordic countries plus Russia only have

winter and bears, loads of bears, bears everywhere.

Yeah, that seems to be pretty common knowledge :D

4 seasons? :o:

White snow, grey snow, mud, brown snow :lol:

Wolves, Elks, Bears, and did i forget to mention? Elks *blöök*

Pretty much so but what the hell is elk?

:D

But you got so so so many mosquitoes during spring and summer, imagine those things in

the cockpit ...

Yeah, thats the price to pay for having such beautiful nature in summer.

But I think PTO might have more of them

unless on a carrier in the middle of the Pacific

No, thats not the problem. Who cares of mosquitoes when you got deadly snakes and

spiders. And Papuan folks who enjoy eating other people !

Sounds like fun!

If PTO is chosen, they definitely have to model those man eating tribes.

cannibal.png

He said man-eating tribes not pesky wabbit eating! ;)