6./ZG26_McKvack

Would you rather have a new Battle of X that follows BOM and BOS(plane capabilities) or would you like something new?

If they were interested in making tons of money they wouldn't be making a flight sim. I really don't get the arguments stating "do this" or "make that" if you really want to make money. If these guys were in it purely for the money they wouldn't be working on this project. Not to mention it's been stated numerous times that funding for BoS and BoM didn't come from sales. I'm guessing most of the team are flight simmers and want to make the best flight sim they can and be a part of continuing the legend of Il-2.

As for what I would like next? I have my MiG-3 and a lot of eastern front maps to fly on so for me they could honestly go anywhere from here and I won't mind. I would like for them to finish the eastern front first but if they want to do BoB or Pacific or Med it's fine with me. I just wish someone could finish up that Murmansk map :(

• Upvote 6

to add a consideration,

it would be beneficial to know how many new customers are coming in, and where they are from. also, do a time(month/quarter) vs quantity to view the trend. is the current model/game growing?

something like this may give hints about geographical market viability, saturation, directions.

and then what about gameplay. can the number of MP and SP games, per time-of-day, be ascertained? make another graph to view usage and population consistency, shifts, trends.

data like these may help discern what a company interested in making money should do next....

... if the current model is still demonstrating an acceptable positive slope on the graphs, then enhancing it should work for a while. if the slope is not steep enough, or going negative, this might signal that something more drastically different is needed.

... one caution about adding variety to a saturated market segment is the concern about player dissipation. this MP sim depends on a critical mass of players on a server at the same time. the current server lists, when I look, only have a very few occupied because, regardless of how one might prefer the other server, MP play demands that players go where the crowd is.

...... this is something that should be considered when expanding the eastern front before any other venture. it may have the effect of dissipating the player base too much if the customer base is saturated for that scenario, even if the other BoX's are great.

the thing that is necessary, obviously, are paying customers, a plentiful online population, and servers/MP's that provide good tools. of course, company resources have to be weighted with potential gains for any direction taken, but I have to agree that it would be good for these guys to look at the data and see if they are 'missing' somebody that should be here. is there ,truly, a large potential market segment/location that seems uninterested? why? if, as has been mentioned already, the American market IS potentially a monetary winfall and isn't responding well yet, then some kind of product aimed at that market would be wise. versatility. don't put all your eggs in one basket. etc. the American market, or any other for that matter, may have distractions/competition, which should be evaluated.

regarding markets, we all know things are going towards a downturn right now, so growing a business like this may prove to be difficult. IF it can be done, the course needs to be efficient and wise.

No company is gonna disclose all that information to their customers.

Im sure they analyze these trends internally.

• Upvote 2

Hold you're Asses on the Pacific there, I call dibs on BoB.... Well take a guess: Battle of (Motherfucking) Berlin!!

Yeah If Stalingrad looked bad-ass, wait and see what it will look like in Germany; Now that there would be Sick Ass Bavaria Tits!!

facepalm-hogan.jpg 

Edited by I./JG3_Asgar
  • Upvote 1

It isn't up to me.. when it comes to that I am just another customer like you..

The best thing they can do for this sim is to rework the nert code so that IP hosting can be easier. That was one thing that made IL2 so successful.. at least in my opinion. If you wanted to you could hop on HL.. meet up with a few buddies...

"Let's fly.."

"Wanna host?"

"Yeah I'll do it.."

click click click click

or

click click .. depending on whether you were using HL.. and you were ready to pick a plane select a load out and fly..

OR....

"Hey wait I can't host I have a crappy connection..."

"Well I can do it..!"

"OK .. let's fly.. pick a good mission ..!"

.. and that was all it took if all you wanted was a quick 2 hours of fun after a hard day..  Of course if you wanted more than that there was the whole dedicated server thing... but accessibility and options are essential to fully realized success in a sim... IMO any way... Not thaty what we have is all that bad but it could be better.

Being able to host would probably get me interested to make missions that I could put up co-op

style but for now I have not motivating reason to learn how their MB works.

Hold you're Asses on the Pacific there, I call dibs on BoB.... Well take a guess:

Battle of (Motherfucking) Berlin!!

Yeah If Stalingrad looked bad-ass, wait and see what it will look like in Germany; Now that there would be Sick Ass Bavaria Tits!!

The Battle of Berlin might as well have been a tank/artillery/infantry battle.

The Battle of Berlin might as well have been a tank/artillery/infantry battle.

yeah, a "Battle for Ruhr" or Battle for Leipzig" would be better. Industrial centers that were the target of bombing raids for month. 

Being able to host would probably get me interested to make missions that I could put up co-op

You can host. Honestly. Really.

It's fiddlier than it could or should be, but it's perfectly OK to run a server on the same PC you're playing on - so long as it isn't a huge mission with dozens of more players. Even I figured out how to do it. Hell, even Merlin in my squadron figured out how to do it.  :o:

There's a growing library of coop-style missions to choose from, too. No excuses. Hee hee! No excuses...

Back on topic: I'll repeat - Malta, with carrier fun! Gotta be!

Edited by No601_Swallow

It's fiddlier than it could or should be, but it's perfectly OK to run a server on the same PC you're playing on - so long as it isn't a huge mission with dozens of more players. Even I figured out how to do it. Hell, even Merlin in my squadron figured out how to do it.  :o:

There's a growing library of coop-style missions to choose from, too. No excuses. Hee hee! No excuses...

link or it's not true :P

It's fiddlier than it could or should be, but it's perfectly OK to run a server on the same PC you're playing on - so long as it isn't a huge mission with dozens of more players. Even I figured out how to do it. Hell, even Merlin in my squadron figured out how to do it. :o:

Exactly, there is no excuse at all.

I wouldn't take that to heart, it was just a reply to a curious customer who opened a touchy topic the company (which had close ties with the original Maddox Games lads and contributed with some content to their releases) would like to avoid at this point.

That being said a Pacific immediate follow-up to Battle of Moscow was never exactly a major possibility, though it has been implied and mentioned time and again that they do want to go there. To be very honest it seems the only true contestants are another Eastern Front title or a Mediterranean one, everything else feels far-fetched since Pacific means 100% new aircraft sets minus the P-40 which can use lots from the current British P-40E, and the Western Front is already being covered (although at a snail's pace) by DCS. But then Cliffs of Dover will be getting a Mediterranean theatre very soon so that leaves... meaningless speculation!  :P 

"If we ever get to the Pacific"

doesn't look like they are considering it in the near future. Not in the next few years, so i think it's rather moot to debate about it right now.

I agree with the rest. I think the most interesting scenario's we can hope for as the next installment are Kuban and Husky/Malta. If they go for something easier/cheaper to model, they will probably take Kursk.

[sorry for the green background, i don't get it away after copying that statement]

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

"If we ever get to the Pacific"

doesn't look like they are considering it in the near future. Not in the next few years, so i think it's rather moot to debate about it right now.

I agree with the rest. I think the most interesting scenario's we can hope for as the next installment are Kuban and Husky/Malta. If they go for something easier/cheaper to model, they will probably take Kursk.

[sorry for the green background, i don't get it away after copying that statement]

Dont think that means anything in case of actual choices. For the moment its all about finishing BoM. Once that happens then I'd expect announcements of the next step. 

I expect something not far from Moscow and Stalingrad. Why? 1. You can recycle BoS & BoM planes for the next theater. What we already seen.  2. You can recycle the landscape texture again. 3.......? Recycle is the Key word to create something that looks new where the parts from the older products wanna be part of the new one! Short said.... :rofl: 

Not that there is any possibility of my own wishes prevailing, but just for the record my first choice would be for Malta.

It is good to know that it is that easy... It has been a very long time since I have flown anything more than a few minutes even off line due to RL.. and mind you just to clarify .. I think that as long as they keep doing what they are doing .. the steady growth.. I think this sim will be successful.. I just think a part of the charm of IL2 was the ease with which you could host...

and for the record.. I would buy any theater that they came up with under the notion that sooner or later they will get where I would really like to be as long as they get support..  When I think f the atmosphere around here this time in 2014 and I look at where we are now... I can't help but be even more optimistic than I was then.

We'll end up with Battle of the Mediterranean. It's quite the coincidence that the Macchi and P40 were part of Stalingrad, huh? LOL

Throw in a G.50, a S79, some Hurricanes and Spitfires, maybe a P51b, and a Vickers Wellington and you got another $80 premium purchase. Although, with the complexity of the S79 and Wellington, it'll cost about $20 more than normal, so round it on up to $100. 

But you get a shiny green tag to go under your name! 

We'll end up with Battle of the Mediterranean. It's quite the coincidence that the Macchi and P40 were part of Stalingrad, huh? LOL

Throw in a G.50, a S79, some Hurricanes and Spitfires, maybe a P51b, and a Vickers Wellington and you got another $80 premium purchase. Although, with the complexity of the S79 and Wellington, it'll cost about $20 more than normal, so round it on up to $100. 

But you get a shiny green tag to go under your name! 

Swap the G-50 for C-200 (2500 offensive sorties in Russia and, twice as many produced) and the Wellington for the DB-7 Boston (2700 used by Russia, RAF,SAAF,USAAF used in the Med) and get double the benefit  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Bolded Text is Completely False.  As of 2011 AOPA reported 224,475 active general aviation registrations on privately owned aircraft of all types.  By contrast in Nov 2010 Examiner.com ran an article stating that general aviation private pilots in Russia totalled around 2,000.  Judging by those numbers I'd say the Aviation culture in the US FAR EXCEEDS that of Russia.  

PC in use around the world 2013 in millions :

US           310.6                                      UK          54.5

China       195.1                                       Russia     53.5

Japan       98.1                                        France    53.5

Germany   71.5                                        Brazil      48.1

India         57                                           Italy        44.7

So do the math.  Which markets, if you were a smart businessman, would you target for your product?

If it were me, and I wanted to include as many people as possible I'd open a  front like:

China/Burma/ India :   715.3 million PC users (US, China, Japan, India, UK)

South Pacific:             463.2 million PC users (US, Japan, UK)  note: no numbers for Australia/New Zealand

Med:                          534.8 millian PC users (US, Germany, UK, France, Italy)  

Another Eastern front    169.7 million PC users (Russia, Germany, Italy)  No numbers for Romania/Hungary

Where would you go?  LOL...Oh by the way, They've captured the Russian Market.  No new growth there.  

As far as your personal experience, I am an American, if you'd asked me about the titles I spend most of my time on, the first one out of my mouth would be IL-2 Sturmovik.  So I suppose that means we should expect to see a more Western oriented Battle of XXX, right?

Let's try to keep to the facts rather than blindly stating something in order to support your points.

Yes, something you said was right, but it is incrrect that  if you think  China or Japan users just like China/Burma/India front battle, maybe they like German planes, or Soviet planes and US planes, they will buy the Eastern battle also.

Edited by zyss

The first important thing I think is add more famous planes, the disadvantage of game is there are so less planes to attractive people buy and play it.

We can add some famous planes first, for example:

German:

Bf109 G6

Bf109 G10

Bf109 G14

Fw190 D9

Fw190 D13

Ta152

Soviet:

Yak9

Yak9U

La5 FN

La7

La9

Then think about to add what a campaign, I mean, it must have planes to attractive people buy and play it, then work for campaign and think about put these planes in which mission( for example, La9), then people will also like to buy the campaign and other new contents.

It is good to know that it is that easy... It has been a very long time since I have flown anything more than a few minutes even off line due to RL.. and mind you just to clarify .. I think that as long as they keep doing what they are doing .. the steady growth.. I think this sim will be successful.. I just think a part of the charm of IL2 was the ease with which you could host...

and for the record.. I would buy any theater that they came up with under the notion that sooner or later they will get where I would really like to be as long as they get support..  When I think f the atmosphere around here this time in 2014 and I look at where we are now... I can't help but be even more optimistic than I was then.

I think they will have to come to direct co-op hosting if they want us to continue buying their product.

When you can host with a click of the button and your playing without any hassle that is my dream.

ARMA III is really putting an important emphasis on connections,MP hosting and co-op hosting this year

and early next year.

They will even be releasing ''get this'' a whole co-op campaign that you will be able to host and play with

your friends.Just watch all of the co-op campaigns pop up in the Steam workshop once they get that into

gear.

Their new system will even have a program that if you join a game that is modded with approved Steam

workshop mods when you join Steam will retrieve the mod install it and let you play in minutes

you don't even have to hunt the mods down and install them it is incredible.

I expect something not far from Moscow and Stalingrad. Why? 1. You can recycle BoS & BoM planes for the next theater. What we already seen. 2. You can recycle the landscape texture again. 3.......? Recycle is the Key word to create something that looks new where the parts from the older products wanna be part of the new one! Short said....

I found something wrong with your logic.... :(

Forgive me, but I hope the Devs don't think like this...

I found something wrong with your logic.... :(

Forgive me, but I hope the Devs don't think like this...

The devs are going GREEN and recycling to make the world a better place and

save our precious resources.    :biggrin:

Zyss you bring an important point for me on new planes. I watch my son play 1946. He fly's them all. American, german, japanese, british, russian. His is not picky about any map, as long as it has period relevant and has tanks etc. I have actually seen him to all day fly over Pearl Harbour. His enjoyment comes from flying various aircraft. I hope in years to come that this sim will just grow and grow. For me it is the future also.

Edited by Chandalier1969

Hey Asgar, you're reply responds fit perfectly on what I just did there.  I laugh so hard, my head over heated and my cheeks were on fire!

There werent many air battles there, right?

Aww Bubblenuggets, of course it will; Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet taking off at Airfield Finsterwalde-Schacksdorf against B-17s, Berlin Tempelhof Airport was used during early April, 1945 to housed and operate transport planes to transfer Berlin's citizens to fascist Spain and its where the theory said that Hitler never die at Berlin but escaped in route to Spain in early April, 1945 and get on U-boat journey trip to Argentina.

[Edited]

Edited by Bearcat

Likely misunderstood humour lost through Google Translate :)

Anyhow, aircraft, maps and coop MP are all fun and games but what makes or breaks a franchise is the experience a player gets in it. DCS Ka-50 and the previous introduction of the Su-25T are a clear examples that even fringe aircraft with small production runs that nobody cared much about and most didn't even know existed can be a great success if they provide a rewarding user experience.

Il-2 as is attracts people for its feeling of flight and WW2 aerial operations (A2A and A2G). The next logical step is to offer a purposeful employment of it, which is already being done through campaign improvements, PWCG integration, human tank warfare and so on. It's likely that after BoM we'll see some more features that make this sim even more enjoyable (like the planned recce/correction tasks), and a follow-up theatre in whichever format is likely to play into these capabilities and enhance current installments already.

A P-51 or La-9 (a little outlandish but that's OT) is just as likely to be successful as a I-15 and Hs-123. The make or break here is: are players having fun? If yes, they are like to talk, and any flight simmer worth their salt (and we are by default a rather open bunch when it comes to learning new things and exploring different parts of history) will want to join the action. The atmosphere around Il-2 has drastically changed since Early Access, and all the shakiness and criticism has mostly evaporated. This franchise is going straight big, weather it flies red or white stars on its wings :)

• Upvote 1

Siege of Leningrad!

Finland-1944-Map-01.jpg

Very interesting and versatile plane setup because this front was almost stabile three years from July 1941 to June 1944. All the current BoS and BoM aircrafts are used over these Finnish and German fronts.

THERE WAS FIVE LARGE OFFENSIVES DURING WWII:

Winter War between Finland and Soviet Union. Karelian Isthmus November 1939 - March 1940

Finnish reconquest of the Karelian Isthmus on July 1941
German attack from Estonia (Gulf of Finland's south coast) against Leningrad on August-September 1941
Red Army pushed German Group North Army away from Leningrad on January 1944
Russian 4th Great Offensive against Finland on June-August 1944

ALLIES / VVS NEW PLANES

I-15 Tchaica

Hurricane Mk I / II

Spitfire (Leningrad area)
P-39 Airacobra
Yak-9
La-5F
A-20 Boston

DB-3F
IL-4

AXIS / FAF and LUFTWAFFE NEW PLANES
B-239 Brewster
Curtiss Hawk 75A
Morane Saulnier M.S. 406
Fiat G50

Bf 109 G-6
FW 190 A-5

Notice that Finnish Curtiss Hawks and Morane Saulniers are usable for ex. with the "Battle of France". New Russian planes are usable everywhere on the Russian fronts and maps. That area is full of beautiful waterways, small lakes and also a large Lake Ladoga. There are a lot of big forestes, swamps, countryside and small towns and villages around Leningrad. The map would be really beautiful with these RoF terrain tools!

Map should be something like that, it is about 400 km x 400 km, There can be also Novgorod and Tikhvin battles:

12647026_10207085172226310_5056711538749

And yes, I am Finnish and here's a hundred more of us Finnish Virtual pilots with the BoS and BoM. And we love it! :)

Edited by LLv32_Kanttori
  • Upvote 11

Siege of Leningrad!

Finland-1944-Map-01.jpg

Very interesting and versatile plane setup because this front was almost stabile three years from July 1941 to June 1944. All the current BoS and BoM aircrafts are used over these Finnish and German fronts.

THERE WAS FIVE LARGE OFFENSIVES DURING WWII:

Winter War between Finland and Soviet Union. Karelian Isthmus November 1939 - March 1940

Finnish reconquest of the Karelian Isthmus on July 1941

German attack from Estonia (Gulf of Finland's south coast) against Leningrad on August-September 1941

Red Army pushed German Group North Army away from Leningrad on January 1944

Russian 4th Great Offensive against Finland on June-August 1944

ALLIES / VVS NEW PLANES

I-15 Tchaica

Hurricane Mk I / II

Spitfire (Leningrad area)

P-39 Airacobra

Yak-9

La-5F

A-20 Boston

DB-3F

IL-4

AXIS / FAF and LUFTWAFFE NEW PLANES

B-239 Brewster

Curtiss Hawk 75A

Morane Saulnier M.S. 406

Fiat G50

Bf 109 G-6

FW 190 A-5

Notice that Finnish Curtiss Hawks and Morane Saulniers are usable for ex. with the "Battle of France". New Russian planes are usable everywhere on the Russian fronts and maps. That area is full of beautiful waterways, small lakes and also a large Lake Ladoga. There are a lot of big forestes, swamps, countryside and small towns and villages around Leningrad. The map would be really beautiful with these RoF terrain tools!

Map should be something like that, it is about 400 km x 400 km, There can be also Novgorod and Tikhvin battles:

12647026_10207085172226310_5056711538749

And yes, I am Finnish and here's a hundred more of us Finnish Virtual pilots with the BoS and BoM. And we love it! :)

Hmmmm... YES.

Siege of Leningrad!

I think we can forget about that. The Devs stated pretty clear, that the engine can't handle a city of the size of Moscow (in terms of performance). Leningrad/Petersburg had similar size, if not even bigger in WW2. If a scenario up there will come, it will probably be similar to the Moscow map..Leningrad behind the eastern edge of the map

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*

I think we can forget about that. The Devs stated pretty clear, that the engine can't handle a city of the size of Moscow (in terms of performance). Leningrad/Petersburg had similar size, if not even bigger in WW2. If a scenario up there will come, it will probably be similar to the Moscow map..Leningrad behind the eastern edge of the map

So? Why do we have to forget about that?

Moscow works like that and it's being done.

+1 for the Leningrad front.

The nothern front was also very important. Don't forget that for Hitler the city name Leningrad was like a red cloth for a bull.

+1 for Leningrad.

Germany had three main attack attack targets in their invasion to the Soviet Union:

Army Group South -> Volga-Caucasus -> We have Battle of Stalingrad.

Army Group Centre -> Moscow -> We are getting Battle of Moscow.

Army Group North -> Leningrad -> We should get that next.

Also the map around Gulf of Finland would work for several stages of the war.

1941 - German and Finnish offensive towards Leningrad.

1942-1943 - Stabilized front and air activities during that time.

1944 - Soviet offensive - Battles of Karelian Ishtmus and Battle of Narva.

• Upvote 2