BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 40

Thanks for the update. Public holiday here on the 20th, considering spending it indoors now.

Agree with some other folks that the exhaust flames, while looking nice, could still use some improvement for better realism, but then I think there are way more important things to work on. The effects will be more important in night battles, of which we're not going to see a lot with the initial release. FM, DM, AI - all much more important imho.

Good luck for next week, looking forward to the good news next Friday.

OMG, I'm almost choking back the tears.  Those ground physics are simply amazing!  And the vibrations and exhaust flames!! Seriously, I could kiss you guys and I'm not gay if that's what you're thinking!!  I'm not I'm really not....

OMG, maybe I am..... :(  

Hey Loft it wasn't that hard huh? Community won't get mad when you say you're late on the schedule - they will get mad if you're trying to dodge saying this. Hopefully situation from DevDiary 38 won't reoccur both on your side and our side - there's nothing worse than dishonesty and PR blabling toward the customer. Keep up the good work, although you still stick to these terrible midweek test ideas I cannot wait for first flight!

P.S. Is there even a slight chance that we will get BF 109 F4 for solo flight before 2nd early-access state? I don't care if there will be multiplayer or not, I just want to sit again inside that beauty!

Edited by Marrond

Looking better and better devs, another week in the overall scheme of things is nothing.

Flames will be tuned of course. I mean it's not the final version of this visual effect

Cool. I have first hand experience with russian machinery and I would imagine that ww2 warplanes would burst pretty good amount of black/white smoke when started in cold enviroments.

P.s. Loving that stomping snow effect.

What a great video!

I absolutely love the sound effects - squeaky brakes, air frame noises.

It's all come together quite quickly really. So, what's one extra week then eh?

Cheers!  :salute:

As nice as the flames are, what really strikes me is the ground handling, with shaking, suspensions etc. The shots gives an excellent feel of the plane having mass, I look forward to taxiing around!

...and a week delay does not bother me.

Thank you developers for building a great WW2 CFS. It has been years ... IL2 1946 ... since we've had a really amazing sim to sink our teeth into. I really hope this is the start of MANY new theaters to come. I want to fly a P38, P51, ME262, Spitfire, etc, etc so I hope that this is the start of a very long and mutually rewarding relationship!

• Upvote 2

I agree. The video is incredible and the most immersive flight sim video I have ever seen. From my perspective, the developers can take all the time they need to fine tune this outstanding sim so hopefully they can expand it for years to other aircraft and theaters to make it the new gold standard sim for years to come. It obviously has all the potential. I will wait however long necessary for a better finished product that I will be using for years. 

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, and that is an awesome effect seeing the flames jetting out in rapid-fire sequence!  :cool:

I knew that when they said one or two weeks, that it would end up being "two weeks". 

...It's to keep the tradition going, right? :)  Impatiently waiting (tapping foot).

Love the little backfires on the exhaust pipes. It really adds to immersion and realism. The sound is pretty amazing too for being just an 'Alpha'. I cannot wait until 2014. I know it's solo flights at first but this will give us time to acclimate ourselves to the aircraft.

CAN WE SEE A VIDEO OF THE FW-190A-3 Pwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezeeee!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Pretty cool how the aircraft appears to have mass and inertia. The sound work associated with the engine, wind blast, and brakes certainly contributes to the sense of immersion for me. I felt the same way when I first fired up a radial and charged a Vickers in Rof.

Looking really good, not concerned at all about Alpha starting a week later. I don't know exactly why, but I really want to try a belly landing onto the snow just see what happens, if the effects aren't implemented I don't care :).

I much prefer waiting than the devs rushing to produce something which may not be up to their impeccable standards. I think we have all been in a similar situation where a week can make a world of difference to the end result and I'm glad they made that hard decision.

But damn! Did you really have to tease us with that video? You guys are so cruel - that video was outstanding. I can tell I will be handing over a lot of money in the years to come.

Three pages in, and I couldn't figure out why nobody was complaining this week. Just saw the video and Woooooww!!!

Excellent ground physics! Can't wait to get my greedy hands on this sim.

Good Lord!

Incredible, you really managed to make this aircraft alive . This is  brilliant in an awesome way!

What a fantastic video, thanks :good:

Good Lord!

Incredible, you really managed to make this aircraft alive . This is  brilliant in an awesome way!

That's the thing I like in RoF. You feel like you sit in a plane made of wood and canvas. If they got that same feeling in BoS we have a winner.

Well, here goes another week of exitedly looking forward to the early access - now accompanied by the continuous pressing of this button.

Thanks for the update, guys.

I can't wait for the 19th.

And might I dare say: perfect decision on the gun pods. :ph34r:

Now for some well overdue whining: §#*"%!!! I keep reading about how great the video is an I can't watch it until tonight or even tomorrow! :help:

Are those snow tracks?....because if they are...it's going to be nightly impressive

Another great thing is that depending on settings those tracks may stay for reeeealy long

That's the thing I like in RoF. You feel like you sit in a plane made of wood and canvas. If they got that same feeling in BoS we have a winner.

This is my personal perception of course but there is that feeling in BOS. Take LaGG for instance with all the sounds of roaring engine, whistling wind and whiffing pneumatics, vibrating and tilting - you actually feel like you're inside of a big and heavy piece of metal and wood and with hundreds of HP right in front of you..! Well, you'll get it soon and check it out yourselves :)
  • Upvote 3

Good Lord!

Agree.  I think this is the best video yet.  Now we know how good this is going to be.  Take your time guys. :salute:

Are those snow tracks?....because if they are...it's going to be nightly impressive

Another great thing is that depending on settings those tracks may stay for reeeealy long

What do you mean with "depending on settings"?

Something like changing weather conditions from 'clear weather' to 'snowfall' make tracks disappear quicker?

That would be cool. :)

Graphics settings, I'd guess. It costs resources to keep track of tracks, and if there's plenty of vehicles going long distances, it will be a lot of tracks.

Edited by JtD

The fact they are delaying the launch really shows me that this company is a good company and actually CARES about their product. Thank you 777 for taking the time to get it right!  :salute:

Zak, do you know if the 19th is the day we start downloading or can we pre-download the day before and play on the 19th?

Just wondering what day to book off work to get the best days play.

If its the 19th but it doesn't start until late that night i would rather book the 20th.

GMT here.

Three pages in, and I couldn't figure out why nobody was complaining this week.

Don't worry. We'll get the team on it!

When I saw the weight and inertia of that airplane I sat up straight, the timing of the exhausts flames’ didn’t make it any less interesting nor did the tracks in the snow.

Gentlemen we are in for a treat!

Master

Another interesting video for the devs

Very cool finding.

The flames at startup look pretty good to me, compared to this video:

Great video Luke. That might be the best sounding P-51 I've watched on YouTube. Buried somewhere in my WWII collection I've seen a clip of a P-40 start up that nearly looked like the engine was on fire. In that regard the BoS Lagg's flame looks pretty good to me. 

Edited by Rjel