Sim

il2mg - Mission Generator

Extended the offmap airfield feature and added support for fighter sweep and patrol area tasks. A couple of examples:

A schwarm of JG 3 fighters sweeping in from the Shakhty offmap airfield:

post-412-0-79814100-1477990940_thumb.jpg

rotte of JG 52 fighters flying in from Zimovniki airfield and covering German advance during Unternehmen Wintergewitter:

post-412-0-60033400-1477996077_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sim

Hello,

Still a nice work.

Could it be possible to add a "no historical option" so that I could choose any plane to start from any airfield (in your selected list) at any date (in the frame of BOS for the moment) ?

Thanks again for il2mg .

Best Regards.

New update - r9 (see first post for download link)

• Activated some AI flights for testing.
  • Added new aircraft: Yak-1b ser.127, Bf 109 G-4 and Ju 52 3mg4e.
  • Implemented a more efficient map activity zone system.
  • Flights can now be fast-forwarded to arbitrary state.
  • Enabled offmap flight routes for fighter sweep and patrol area tasks.
  • Fixed an issue where flight records did not work correctly.
  • Fixed binary mission file compatibility with 2.006 patch.
  • Other minor changes and tweaks.

---

Due to binary mission file changes in 2.006 patch - the old version will no longer work correctly, please use this new version. I am still hard at work with AI flights and this feature will come fully implemented in the next release. However, just for fun, I have activated some AI flights in this version already. There aren't many of them active in the mission - so it's very unlikely you will meet any AI aircraft on your flight (but they are there, you can verify with Shift-F2 and Ctrl-F2 keys!).

• Upvote 5

Now it starts to look better and better.

I'll give this a go soon.

Thanks for doing this Sim. :):salute:

Salutations Sim,

A applaud you and the outstanding work and creation you have presented for our use and enjoyment. Outstanding... simply outstanding. Once you get the AI craft completely sorted out and fully working there will always be finding a way for us to create coop missions.

Regardless, truly impressive work. Thank you for your efforts.

I'm getting an error while launching even in administrator mode:

Could not launch IL2-Sturmovik!

Please close this application and then run il2.mg.exe again by right clicking and using the "Run as administrator" menu option.

Any suggestions to clear that up?

I'm getting an error while launching even in administrator mode:

Hi Stele,

If you don't mind I will contact you via PM. Need more details about your setup. This seems to be an odd bug I can't reproduce myself. However, in the past, some users fixed a similar issue by launching as administrator..

New update - r10 (see first post for download link)

• Fixed an issue where missions could not be launched.

---

Found a fix for the issue where the "Launch" button was not working as expected for some users (thanks Stele for the help!).

• Upvote 2

Thank you for the new version (r10). But it doesnt work for me properly.

I can generate a mission just fine and the game launches and load the mission but my custom controls are gone..... 

I then launched IL-2 again to see if it was there aswell but this wasent the case.

So theres something going on with your generator not picking up my custom assigned buttons controls and what not.

Tested it with different aircraft and they all didnt have the proper assigned controls.

I can generate a mission just fine and the game launches and load the mission but my custom controls are gone..... 

Hey,

There seems to be a new bug in 2.006 patch. To fix it - when the mission is launched hit ESC and go to the "Settings" -> "Key mapping" menu. Then quit all menus and get back to the game (you don't even need to change anything in the key bindings or hit OK button - just exit the screen). Now all your custom key bindings will be working as expected.

I will try to report this issue to the developers and see if this can get fixed.

Edited by Sim

I hope this is still in development.  Loving it so far!  Being able to start from parking is great...and in the latest version even a few enemy Me110s were around (didn't find them, but they were there).

Hi Napping-Man,

Yes, this is till in development. In current version AI flights are mostly a test - there are very few of them, but they are fully working (have full set of commands and they even land after their missions). The progress has been a bit slow during last month or so, but I am still on track and working on the next version.

Well, I can verify that they follow commands.  Just got into a Dogfight...3 Yaks vs 2 109s. Also watched (with external view) a Ju87 fly around and land.  Can't wait to see the next version!

One question, Sim. Is it possible, that in future the AI aircrafts, that land together with you, stay in the mission, until you quit it. Your airfields look absolutely fantastic, so it is a bit of a pity, wenn the AI aircrafts pop away a few seconds after they stopped their engines.

Hi Yogi,

This is actually something I have no control of, after AI aircraft lands and finishes its action - it will get deleted and disappear like that (I assume it's done by the game to free up resources).

Ah, ok, thanks for the answer, Sim, so I should ask the developers, if they could change this, because when the player has landed, there should not be a lot of resources you need to spare, as the mission then is over, anyhow.

Nothing more coming of this?

I was wondering already, too. But I can't remember having read anything from Sim lately in the forum.

Just a quick heads up - I plan to release a new version in November. This is a side project for me and the progress is quite slow unfortunately.

• Upvote 4

Working on various tweaks and finalizing the new version. One of the new features is a new launch mission dialog where you can set your Il-2 Sturmovik game location, select realism preset and even adjust custom realism options:

post-412-0-92802400-1511005810_thumb.jpg post-412-0-25707700-1511005816_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sim
  • Upvote 5

That's a really nice feature  :good: Anxiously awaiting the new release!

Looking good, Sim.

Quick question: do you plan to have your generator to create/track a pilot (the player?)? Could generated missions be more consistent (have a simple option for it?) in assigning the player to a specific (leader? wingman?) rank/role, instead of having them randomized?

Waiting for the next release! Keep up the good work.

Edited by Picchio

Sorry for the delay, I know I promised the new version to be released in November, but I hit some performance issues while implementing AI flights. I am still working on various tweaks and improvements to make the AI flights really stand out and work as designed in the end - and I think I am quite close to a release, but can't give any dates right now.

Still, would love to show you something interesting - here is a debug view of a mission early in the battle:

post-412-0-28491500-1513547926_thumb.jpg

• You can see your own flight with the black dotted line.
  • All the other red/blue lines represent AI flights in progress at various states (some of them are on final approach for landing).
  • Note that I use a similar concept as PWCG - AI flights are not active in the game all the time but are simulated using virtual flight routes. There are points in the route where you can intercept and activate the flight (this works the other way around too - AI flights can come to you while you are still on the airfield for example.).
  • Fuel usage is simulated for AI flights at each virtual point.
  • There is no fixed activity zone in or around the player - the entire map is the battlefield.
  • Offmap airfields work with AI flights as well - you can see Germans using a number of offmap airfields on the left.

I also intend to fully open source the project under MIT license with the next update.

• Upvote 5

Wow that looks very busy.  I hope we can add CO-OP to the mission options when that becomes available. :salute:

Quick question: do you plan to have your generator to create/track a pilot (the player?)? Could generated missions be more consistent (have a simple option for it?) in assigning the player to a specific (leader? wingman?) rank/role, instead of having them randomized?

Sorry I missed this question. I have a plan to add a new "Customize" dialog when creating a new mission (similar in style how the new Launch dialog works). This is a place where you can adjust some advanced mission related settings if you are not happy with the default historical/random options (for example you could set weather conditions to extreme just for fun). One of the planned options is to to allow the player to specify a desired role - e.g. whether he is interested to fly as a task force leader (task forces are not implemented yet fully), as a flight leader, as an element leader, as a wing-man or just any random position. Custom pilot names/ranks are already supported - but in a a bit awkward way using command line interface. I always wanted to add a GUI option for this - where you can create a pilot for each side and use it for a mission.

I know that this is just some promises and is something I had in mind for this mission generator for a long time already.  I am trying to be a bit more open and transparent with the whole development process by open sourcing the entire project very soon. Maybe there are some community members that have the same vision and will be interested to join in and speed up the development process.

Edited by Sim

I bought BoS just for this mission generator and I can't fly my Fw 190 A-3?  :scratch_one-s_head:

Posted (edited)
New update - r11 (see first post for download link)

• Activated AI flights!
  • Implemented virtual AI flight routes.
  • Added Verh. Ahtuba airfield.
  • Added new aircraft: He 111 H-16, Bf 110 G-2 and Hs 129 B-2.
  • GUI: Added new launch mission dialog.
  • GUI: Remember last user selection in create mission screen.
  • Application is now built and distributed as a single executable file.
  • Other minor changes and tweaks.

---

Well, as the saying goes - better late than never! As promised I have also open sourced the project with full source code available on GitHub.

Edited by Sim

I bought BoS just for this mission generator and I can't fly my Fw 190 A-3?  :scratch_one-s_head:

Sorry about that, but this generator only covers Battle of Stalingrad and no Fw 190 equipped units were involved during this battle and time period.