Han

Developer Diary, Part 111 - Discussion

Bearcat, I was joking as I indicated at the end of my posting with "just kidding :-D"

I think spring and autumn maps with mud should be quite easy to make with a few small modifications. It would basically behave just like the deep snow we see in the vid, perhaps with the ruts disappearing a bit faster. So, basically just colour the snow brown and we're in business!

Yeah but given the amount of posts with that exact same tone... How am I to discern whether or not your post was a passive/aggressive swipe glossed over with the just kidding tag... It is in my opinion anyway , best to not kid in such a manner or at least to consider the history... and act accordingly.. No harm no foul...

This baby is going ahead in leaps and bounds. Viva and muchos kudos le Dev's - olay.

The video of the bumpy ride by the runway makes me wonder, how is one supposed to land outside of runways and frozen lakes, e.g. if you run out of fuel. Is one condemned to damage the landing gears and the prop?

You're not condemned to damage your plane, but entitled to make a decision to stay alive. Land without your gear in the snow or find a lake or river to come in one piece down. It will be all up to you :)

Also, even if I'm sometimes one of the more critical guys in terms of some FM decisions, I want to say again that what you deliver to me for this 80 bucks is really astounding. A sincere thank you for that!

• Upvote 1

I think the developers must love this game as much as we do.  I  :salute:  you!

I will admit I am one of those guys who takes off where ever when ever...But I always  look before I leap as too stay out of any real pilots way. hehe.  Its not that I want too but when that bird gets going sometimes I just follow her.  Please forgive me and don't hesitate to grab a tank and pull me out of the mud when you see me this summer.  Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by PimpSauceGrendelsFather

The video of the bumpy ride by the runway makes me wonder, how is one supposed to land outside of runways and frozen lakes, e.g. if you run out of fuel. Is one condemned to damage the landing gears and the prop?

Yep. Just like it was historically. Gear up, belly in. There was no gear down landing in the deep snow. Gear down landing in the summer time fields was also incredibly rare. You'll find photos of belly landing in fields in the middle of every season in WWII, very few. - if any - gear down.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Yep. Just like it was historically. Gear up, belly in. There was no gear down landing in the deep snow. Gear down landing in the summer time fields was also incredibly rare. You'll find photos of belly landing in fields in the middle of every season in WWII, very few. - if any - gear down.

Not completely true - on cultivated fields yes, but the steppe in dry summer periods is just grasslands, the LW made temporary airfields out of it all the time. Certainly there would be more landing accidents than on a fully prepared field, but no reason not to land gear down if you are undamaged. I hope the new version reflects this.

Not completely true - on cultivated fields yes, but the steppe in dry summer periods is just grasslands, the LW made temporary airfields out of it all the time. Certainly there would be more landing accidents than on a fully prepared field, but no reason not to land gear down if you are undamaged. I hope the new version reflects this.

There's a hell of a difference between landing on an improvised airstrip, wich has been carefully selected, cleared and under a steamroller, and making an emergency landing in a completely unprepared field, which you have only just spotted from several kilometers distance. You have pretty much no way of telling how even the ground is, if it's covered in rocks or how deep and dense the vegetation is, all if which could have catastrophic impact on a wheels-down landing.

When you look at pictures of crash landed aircraft, it's nearly always belly landings, even when the ground seems hard and even, and for good reason.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, and I think it's likely it can be done in the sim with the new ground physics. It's just really risky compared to a belly landing which would always be the safer choice.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 4

Wow, very nice ... I cant wait, next week here we come!  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :good:  

Germans had the order to land gear up outside fields. I don't think many dared to disregard orders in war.

Germans had the order to land gear up outside fields. I don't think many dared to disregard orders in war.

Not to mention the fact that belly landings are generally much safer.

It's really only in flight sims, where landing with intact engine and propeller equals more points, that pilots have any incentive to land wheels-down in a field.

Great update. It will be so nice not to have to watch those awful people blasting off across the ground with no regard for anyone or anything else.

Yep ,but what would stop them if there were no snow ....

Yep ,but what would stop them if there were no snow ....

manualy placed objects in their way so people have to follow the correct taxi way to the main strip.It is allready working on some maps  ;)

There are stories of pilots landing behind enemy lines to pick up fellow pilots who had crashlanded. But it is one thing to land a fully functioning plane gears down and a completely different thing to try to get down in a damaged crate, where gears down would unnecessarily complicate everything.

• Upvote 1

Not to mention the fact that belly landings are generally much safer.

It's really only in flight sims, where landing with intact engine and propeller equals more points, that pilots have any incentive to land wheels-down in a field.

Christer Bergstrom - Stalingrad, the air battle p 58

"The great flat steppe between the Donets and the Don could be used as one huge airfield when the ground was dry in the summer of 1942..."

but what does he know.

PS I am not talking about a field picked out of a pattern of fields - anything that has been ploughed would be a disaster to land on - I specifically mentioned STEPPE - uncultivated, featureless grasslands.

Edited by unreasonable
  • Upvote 1

They really are. :) Suffice it to say that off-road adventures in your aircraft will now be much more...adventurous. :biggrin:  

Winter off-road adventure is over! The summer/autumn off-road adventure begins :rofl:

Who cares now about winter physics if we all switch to summer/autumn maps. Why summer/autumn physics was not shown?  Need we to wait the same time how winter physics needed?

Poor Stukas and Ju-52s that could not gear up

The Ju 87 had a system that allowed them to detatch the gear if a belly landing was necessary.

At least the early marks did.

I think they got rid of in the Ju 87 that after they stopped building the aircraft carrier but i am not shure

Christer Bergstrom - Stalingrad, the air battle p 58

"The great flat steppe between the Donets and the Don could be used as one huge airfield when the ground was dry in the summer of 1942..."

but what does he know.

PS I am not talking about a field picked out of a pattern of fields - anything that has been ploughed would be a disaster to land on - I specifically mentioned STEPPE - uncultivated, featureless grasslands.

Personally I think that quote could be taken a bit too literally....I would counter that the (steppe) area would be suitable for easily constructed/prepared ad hoc airfields using standard/easily accessed  equipment....

Dev's have said wet runways and ground will have different friction, so I don't think it would be much of a leap to assume prepared runways will/can have different friction to general areas in summer map

Only four days to wait and test anyway :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Personally I think that quote could be taken a bit too literally....I would counter that the (steppe) area would be suitable for easily constructed/prepared ad hoc airfields using standard/easily accessed  equipment....

Dev's have said wet runways and ground will have different friction, so I don't think it would be much of a leap to assume prepared runways will/can have different friction to general areas in summer map

Only four days to wait and test anyway :)

Cheers Dakpilot

Sure - preparation would always help, but a flat grass or dirt surface without loose stones, rocks and  potholes  is essentially all that an airfield was before artificial surfaces were introduced. Having your erks line up and pick up loose debris and fill in any obvious holes would obviously reduce the risks of accidents, but my original comment was merely to express hope that the devs had not gone and made all surfaces off the designated strips so bouncy and and frictional that take off and landing would be impossible in all circumstances. (Partly because I enjoy landing in odd places ;))

As far as I can see from many photos of airfields in Russia during the war, they - like the pre-war airfields on downland areas in the UK - were mostly huge open areas of grass with little to differentiate the "strip" from anywhere else, and without distinct taxi-ways. There is a progression from pre-war open grass fields to the late WW2 artificial strips needed by the heavier, faster landing late war designs, and 1941-42 is still fairly early.

Looking forward to playing with the new toys, anyway. 

Wow...those new ground physics...brilliant. Amazing job! This will put an end to cross-country taxiing and takeoff.  My hats off to you, really looking forward to the new update!

Sure - preparation would always help, but a flat grass or dirt surface without loose stones, rocks and  potholes  is essentially all that an airfield was before artificial surfaces were introduced. Having your erks line up and pick up loose debris and fill in any obvious holes would obviously reduce the risks of accidents, but my original comment was merely to express hope that the devs had not gone and made all surfaces off the designated strips so bouncy and and frictional that take off and landing would be impossible in all circumstances. (Partly because I enjoy landing in odd places ;))

As far as I can see from many photos of airfields in Russia during the war, they - like the pre-war airfields on downland areas in the UK - were mostly huge open areas of grass with little to differentiate the "strip" from anywhere else, and without distinct taxi-ways. There is a progression from pre-war open grass fields to the late WW2 artificial strips needed by the heavier, faster landing late war designs, and 1941-42 is still fairly early.

Looking forward to playing with the new toys, anyway. 

Agree, but I would still be feeling very cautious landing here :)

post-6177-0-00384200-1445694072_thumb.jpg

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

I have to admit that I was disappointed in the new ground handing physics.  Sure the Lagg 5 looked spot on, but when I saw that 109 attempting a field landing I knew exactly what I should see; an off kilter bounce, perhaps a wingtip strike, followed by either a cartwheel or a flip.  Instead I see this silly, graceful sliding action even smoother than we have now.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  That looks just like  a like a plane landing on....ICE!!!!  Brilliant, simply brilliant~

Winter off-road adventure is over! The summer/autumn off-road adventure begins :rofl:

Who cares now about winter physics if we all switch to summer/autumn maps. Why summer/autumn physics was not shown?  Need we to wait the same time how winter physics needed?

New ground physics for a soon-to-be rarely played map and PoV physics for tanks, but not AC? Does make you wonder. I'm just happy these guys are trying new things. It's reassuring. 

From Dev diary 110

"In addition, while making physics changes for summer season we improved the ground contact modeling and added more surface types, I'll tell you about this in detail in our next update."

Sound to me like changes are for all maps

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

From Dev diary 110

"In addition, while making physics changes for summer season we improved the ground contact modeling and added more surface types, I'll tell you about this in detail in our next update."

Sound to me like changes are for all maps

Cheers Dakpilot

Appreciated.

I hope they do mud.

I have to admit that I was disappointed in the new ground handing physics. Sure the Lagg 5 looked spot on, but when I saw that 109 attempting a field landing I knew exactly what I should see; an off kilter bounce, perhaps a wingtip strike, followed by either a cartwheel or a flip. Instead I see this silly, graceful sliding action even smoother than we have now. Wrong, wrong, wrong. That looks just like a like a plane landing on....ICE!!!! Brilliant, simply brilliant~

But the Bf-109 did land in ice... I'm wondering if they kept the sinking feature we have now.
  • Upvote 2

But the Bf-109 did land in ice... I'm wondering if they kept the sinking feature we have now.

Hes confused. Which sinking feature, I never saw that, is there unfrozen area in the current map?

Hes confused. Which sinking feature, I never saw that, is there unfrozen area in the current map?

Crash land on ice, you sometimes sink through it as if its cracked and you are now in the water. Visually the ice looks solid, but the plane sinks nose first.

Edited by Tripwire
  • Upvote 1

Yeah,I realized that about half way through the landing. I'll chalk that up as a chatting fail on my part. 

• Upvote 1

I just noticed something that has probably been there since the beginning. In PWCG, my plane was behind the leader's on the runway. As soon as he opened the throttle, I could feel the airflow over my control surfaces through my FFB stick. Man...just wow...

Edited by Reflected

Great work gentleman,

summer map is near. Cant wait for it.

I am waiting for two more things. First is the Bf 110E in 4 or 5 weeks. Flying the 110 with the summer map, thats wonderful.

The second for me in BOM is the Ju 88A-4. Horrido!

Cant wait for some ZG 1 skins, even if they are the G-2 in Italy !!!

Edited by LcSummers
  • Upvote 1