NachtJaeger110

Restoration of Bf109E-3 Legion Condor

You beat me to it brother. Good job!

Mr. Merrick sent this sketch of the nose art to the Museum. He made it from his Memory, but I think it fits reasonably well.

When I did another analysis, I thought I saw small little legs, about three of them. I'll sketch you what I mean when I get home today. I'll still be making this skin for you, battle worn of course like all my other skins.

Edited by 6./ZG1=SPEKTRE76
  • Upvote 1

Hey Spektre,

you mean that wave line on the bottom? I too thought that it could be legs. Looking forward to your sketch!

And yes please show us your version of the skin!

If I could make a wish though- Our 6-106 only flew in Condor Legion for a short while before being given to the spanish air force. AT that point it must have been like new. I also have some evidence that the photo was taken when all the LC planes were lined up when histilities ended.

So I'd rather like to see fresh paint, but please make it as you want it, I'll love it no matter what :)

Or, you could do the silvery 6-106 of the spanish air force as seen on the other photo attached. In colour it looked like this:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/32/pics/24_5.jpg

post-748-0-87816400-1448149353_thumb.jpg

I have some interesting news.

Found this interesting Book by Lynn Ritger. There are two pages about the MeierMotors E-1 and the traces of colour under the sheeting in in front of the vertical stabilizer. This is the exact same spot where there is still colour on our baby.

It looks very much the same and Ritger states that it is in fact factory finish dark green! If that is right this paint is even older than the first 6-106 paint.

Lynn_Ritger_The_Messerschmitt_Bf_109_(Part_1).pdf

post-748-0-31918600-1448150078_thumb.jpg

Edited by NachtJaeger110

Magnificant work Boomer, can't wait to try this one out at home!

two small things-

- The numbers on this one should be bigger. The 6 of the 106 on the left side of the fuselage streches from the bottom up to the root of the vertical stabilizer.

- Unlike the reference drawing and the 6-106 Condor paint, the upper corner of the rudder above the stabilizer remained green on the spanish air force paint of our machine

See the photo in post 44 as a reference.

As a small thank you I'll attach some photos I recently took while working in the Cockpit. They give some idea how bad the view to the rear actually was. Maybe that changed with the new canopy of the later emils, but I really was quite surprised.

Btw, the big machine in the Background is the beautiful CASA 2.111, a spanish built He111, that was restored in the Flugwerft Oberschleißheim a few years ago.

post-748-0-06785200-1448983482_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-75365100-1448983993_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-15314300-1448984044_thumb.jpg

Edited by NachtJaeger110

Almost :biggrin:  Move first 6 down to the center of the fuselage and make the diameter of the cockade as big as the numbers. But Keep the cockade in that position, just enlarge it a little :salute: Great work as always! 

That's exactly it!! :)

It is still possible that we will be restoring her to this condition. The research on Meiermotor's E-1 by Lynn Ritger suggests that the base Color for the upper fuselage was Grey and not RLM 62 green, but we cannot know for sure.... If we can't figure this out, it might not be wise to paint her in the Condor Legion scheme. I really hope that the experts will find proof for grey or green in the color samples we sent so the laboratory... We'll see.

Hello,

Just found this thread by chance. I have been researching from long time ago the career of Bf109 in Spain, drawing my own profiles trying the best accuracy and quality. I would not mind to colaborate with the Deutsches Museum staff if required.

How can I post my 6-106 profile here?

Regards

Francisco

Edited by FliegerAviador

Hi Francisco,

thanks for responding! A Profile of 6-106 would be very much appreciated, you can just post it in this Forum or send it to me via personal message.

Hello gents,

I have very interesting news from the Deutsches Museum!

First of, Francisco aka FliegerAviador sent a profile of 6-106 to the Museum and since he wanted to do so himself, I take the libertiy of positing it here.

See attachment 1.

Full credit to Francisco for this beautuful, excellent profile!

It however raises again the old question wheter green or grey was used on the upper side of the LC Emils.

The Museum is currently planning further scientific investigations on the plane itself, but this could take a long time.

As you see Francisco already added a very interesting and significant detail.

Spanish Aviation historian Mr. Canario Azaola was the author of the 1975 article in the Journal Avión where we found our only copy of the photo showing the Legion Condor 6-106. He found a way better copy of exactly this photo and it allows us to confirm that there really was writing under the canopy. It says: "Der eiserne Gustav" (the iron Gustav)

See attachment 2.

This is a huge step forward for the restoration team and we owe Mr. Azaola our greatest gratitude for providing this photo!

post-748-0-11572500-1455538286_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-01303900-1455538301_thumb.jpg

Edited by NachtJaeger110

short update:

The Museum works together with restorers and conservators from the Technical University on the 109. They have tried infra red Technology as used on historical art like paintings and sculptures, but without success. No Numbers or Mickey Mouses shining through the thick layers of paint.

But they also started to take samples from all over the plane that are currently examined by experts to determine how many layers of paint still are on the plane. At one place near the oil cooler on the underside, they have found at least seven layers!

The attachment you see is just a part of this sample. It already shows several layers. From left to right:

- about 5 layers from the time before 1960

- yellow layer is from the first "german" paint the 109 got in Sevilla just before its shipping to Munich in 1960

- 2 layers paint from the Deutsches Museum. 1960 and 1974

So let's hope that the original Condor Legion layer is still there and that we can finally disclose the secret of the exact tone of the upper side. For this we need a good sample from there, which is apparently more difficoult to find...

fingers crossed, I'll keep you informed.

post-748-0-32926600-1464703840_thumb.jpg

Edited by NachtJaeger110
  • Upvote 2

Thx, but I already posted Lynn Ritger in #45 :)  Unfortunately no real scientific proof for gray in his examination of 6-88.

this thread is so cool! I really enjoy this story that gamers help in rebuilding history !

Work on the samples continues... this is the most time consuming process, but it is beginning to paint a picture.

Our dedicated volunteer workers at the Munich University have to match each of the dozens of cuts like the one attached to a time scale to determine the age of each layer... all of this in their free time.

as you see, there are many layers on the machine. On other samples it goes up to 30 layers...

Hopefully I'll soon have some really good news. :)

post-748-0-33522500-1473953477_thumb.jpg

Edited by NachtJaeger110
  • Upvote 2

Hi,

Perhaps you should contact Ala13_ManOWar, he did a nice research on the RLM 62s for late SCW Emils. AFAIK his work was surrounded by some of the most notable SCW historians (plus some professional moddelers  - and you know how serious they take this colors' stuff). Some of them were involved into the acquisition of some digital-chip colors from wrecks of the Republicans' I-16.

As an extra, there has been some "restoration" of the 6-130 which crashed at El Prat airport in 1940, it is now exposed as a semi-wreckage on one of the most famous airbases from the Legion Kondor, La Sènia, now converted into a museum.

11080744_192094414458432_193522381156406

I'll be waiting for more updates of yours eagerly.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tofolo!

I have just returned from a short Holiday and will definitely contact  Ala13_ManOWar  :salute:

There won't be updates in the coming weeks since our friends at the University are busy with the beginning of the new Semester. but work will go on

Did you see the scroll under the cockpit. The word I believe says "ESTAV". I cannot make out the rest.

Did you see the scroll under the cockpit. The word I believe says "ESTAV". I cannot make out the rest.

Jup, it says "Der Eiserne Gustav" - Iron Gustav. Ist a reference to this guy:

http://blog.sofitel-berlin-kurfurstendamm.com/faces-of-berlin-iron-gustav-hartmann/

BTW, some News:

the Deutsches Museum published a Blog Article about the Work of their restoration team and the people I am in contact with!

It is written in german, but there are some interesting photos to look at:

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/blog/blog-post/2016/10/21/flugzeugdetektive/

Edited by NachtJaeger110

Hey Guys,

they are still at it, they removed all possible parts from the 109 in May and took even more Color samples. Looks like matching the color layers to a timeframe it is a giant confusing puzzle game that takes ages, but apparently they are a step further identifying the Condor Legion Layer in the lab. This still needs to be confirmed though.

The photo shows the 109 as it stands now in the Flugwerft Schleißheim.

post-748-0-92724200-1500622174_thumb.jpg