325TH_SPEKTRE76

I WISH.....Star Wars Combat Flight Sim [not real].

TIE or X  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If a real Star Wars Combat Flight SIM existed; which craft would you fly?

• Advanced TIE Fighter
    • T-70 X-Wing Fighter.
    • N-1 Starfighter (Naboo)
    • TIE X2
    • TIE Interceptor
    • T-65 X-Wing Fighter
    • TIE Bomber
    • Y-Wing Fighter
    • A-Wing Fighter
    • ARC-170 Starfighter
    • T-47 Airspeeder (Hoth Battle)
    • Mine isn't listed so I posted in the comments!
    • B-Wing Fighter

OMG GUYS!

I just saw the new start wars trailer and they had a small scene of a dogfight with TIE and X-Wing Fighters. HOLY S--T!!!! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!

777/1C YOU NEED TO GET ON THIS PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY IN THIS WORLD!!!!

- May the Force be with you all!

screen shot from the trailer:

post-12904-0-59180400-1445313474_thumb.png

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Edited by 6./ZG1=SPEKTRE76
  • Upvote 2

I think it fits more off-topic section.

And after seeing the new trailer my hopes went down, like below the waterline. First I hate that narrative comments during the trailers, they always resemble a cheap, 2nd class movie. Than it looks like another politically correct Disney movie.

But in regard to combat sim in Star Wars style ? I'd pay for it any day ! I'm in !

And dont forget to give me a Naboo fighter, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age :)

Star Wars: The cash cow awakens. Hopefully JJ won't mess up like they did with the truly dire "Prequels"  With regards to Star Wars "flight sims" aren't they already touting a War Thunder style experience with Star wars battlefront  "Fighter Squadron?"

I'm just curious what kind of FM debates we would have, if this game was released  :lol:

• Upvote 2

Making a sim with the Frostbite game engine... good luck! Well, actually you might get lucky, as many do find it accepptable having a flat 300 x 300 km chessboard to "play around". And you could invest the tome saved in coding the sim in the first place in making bigger flaps for the Yak-1. ;)

There's more to a sim than what meets the eye.

But pretty that would be!

Z

In X-Plane I sometimes fly a T65 X-Wing over a Google Earth version of Los Angeles (where I live). The modeling was done by a hobbyist and isn't particularly great, a d thete isn't any combat, but it's better than nothing. :^)

I also have a TIE Fighter, but the crappy fov in those things is ridiculous- those huge panels would never be acceptable to actual combat pilots.

Star Wars: The cash cow awakens. Hopefully JJ won't mess up like they did with the truly dire "Prequels" 

It would be difficult to make anything quite so bad as those three movies.  Hopefully Abrams does not bring the current Star Trek plot formula along with him - Chase the Madman across the galaxy before resolving the issue with a bare-knuckle fist fight.

It would be difficult to make anything quite so bad as those three movies. Hopefully Abrams does not bring the current Star Trek plot formula along with him - Chase the Madman across the galaxy before resolving the issue with a bare-knuckle fist fight.
I hope you're right!

With regards to wishing for Star Wars "Flight sims"

It would be difficult to make anything quite so bad as those three movies.  Hopefully Abrams does not bring the current Star Trek plot formula along with him - Chase the Madman across the galaxy before resolving the issue with a bare-knuckle fist fight.

They arent really that bad as many want to see the, sure Jar-Jar is one of them most ridiculous characters in the history but generally speaking there are also very fine characters and played very well by the actors. And when you add to that all the books and games around it turns to be quite good. At least thats my opinion.

However the new ones, oh I have such a bad feelings. With current political correctness, over usage of CGI and generally speaking more primitive audience I'm expecting something close to Transformers. No fancy plot, no great acting. Just explosions and action. But I'll give it that one, single chance - mainly due to Harrison Ford.

I saw some comments on that mode, flying generally speaking is bad if not very bad.

https://youtu.be/60Y-itl7SFQ?t=5m16s 

I'm just curious what kind of FM debates we would have, if this game was released  :lol:

Luft Empirewhiners will be complaining because the dark side is not easy enough.

• Upvote 1

Don't think sth like a "Star Wars" sim might ever happen since for some reason modern game industry handles the Star Wars franchise as sth for dummys and kiddos that can't handle the challenge of learning a semi complex game (cough Battlefront cough).

As far as space combat goes yea, that would be awesome and not too difficult to creaze. Atmospheric combat might be a different thing though.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

One of the many, many problems with creating a 'realistic' space combat sim based on Star Wars is the simple fact, that the space ships in Star Wars don't act anything like an actual spacecraft. The space fighting scenes in both the old and new trilogy were based mostly on WW2 air combat for the fighters and WW1 Zeppelins for the capital ships, and the way they behave in the movies is more akin to aircraft operating in an Earth-like atmosphere. In most scenes there appear to be an 'up' and 'down', preservation of angular momentum seems to pose no problem and the fighters even bank during turns.

BTW: I think someone should make a space opera flick at some point (not within the SW franchise) where plane-like spacecraft behaved realistically in different types of atmospere on different planets. There would be a lot of fun to be had there.

Randall Munroe once did a short overview of how this could play out: https://what-if.xkcd.com/30/ (WARNING: There's a bit of X-Plane fanboiism in there)

Edited by Finkeren

I would love a Star Wars "Sim". But there is one thing you have to keep in mind. Star Wars' space physics are not like the ones in our universe. All the ships in Star Wars are flying like in an atmosphere, there is no difference what so ever. So you can hardly call it a "Sim", even if you do everything like in the movies.

But i'd really love a remake of X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter. I'd kill for it, i would pay crazy money for it..back then when i was a child, i only had the Demo of it (my parents didn't wanna spend the money for the full version), and i spent more time with the Demo then with most full-priced games nowadays...

Edited by Celestiale

Physics is not a great issue. Thx to being in space + Star Wars a very simple physical model considered arcade for a plane sim is all you need. The only important variables for Star Wars spacecraft are thrust and mass.

i liked the last trilogy though the last two chapters were too obscure, i loved the first and seeing dart vader as a loving kid twisted by life

i would love a good sim on this id love to fly darth vaders ship

btw in stars wars universe theres antigravity so mass and g forces get cancelled

Edited by raaaid

You can't "cancle" mass unless you're using antimateria, which is a completely different thing (and topic). The laws of Newton are not tied to gravity nor is mass.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

btw in stars wars universe theres antigravity so mass and g forces get cancelled

Then why do all spacecraft in Star Wars act as if they have mass?

Seriously, it's a fun little discussion, and I certainly wouldn't mind having a new Star Wars based "sim" with a certain degree of detail, but the talents of 1C/777 would just be wasted on such a project. We'd need someone with prime skills at building a fun game, code tactically aware AI and make awesome particle effecte, not someone with a great physics model, attention to historical detail and a knack for research.

LOL. After so many years of Star Wars I find this "Tie fighters"... obsolete!  :P

I'd rather have a "Hidden Fortress" sim. After all that is where Star Wars owes it's beginnings :P

Oh, I would sooooooooooo love an epic adventure-RPG based on some of Kurosawas films set in Sengoku Jidai, but we're getting slightly off topic are we not?

Dunno if we need other "space flight sims" i dont see how anything can compete with star citizen anyway, i love my space 109 aka 325a. 

• Upvote 1

Install X WING ALLIANCE + Upgrade Project

You can get X WING Alliance on GoG 

Edited by SYN_Belmont

in star wars newtonian physics are obsolet and wrong

hint using the force for telekinesis or flying

also contrary to scientific believe as portrait in star wars sound travels through sapce as theres no absolute vacuum

oh and in star wars einstein is wrong as well as theres ftl speed

god i love that movie

Time is coming.......

....however a would say X-Wing for me, even if i love the Empire.

The new Stormtroopers look great.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro

Nobody loves Star Wars more than me, but Disney rules that universe. Battlefront is great, but I hear ya. I too would like an updated Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing game/sim.

I bought tickets to the Star Wars marathon on Dec. 17th at my local AMC theater. That is going to be one epic day!

Jason

• Upvote 4

I hope you're right!

I saw a game review of this and the reviewer say that scene never ever happens in the game. I think it was 'bait and switch' by the devs.

Nobody loves Star Wars more than me, but Disney rules that universe. Battlefront is great, but I hear ya. I too would like an updated Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing game/sim.

I bought tickets to the Star Wars marathon on Dec. 17th at my local AMC theater. That is going to be one epic day!

Jason

I hope the AMC here does that. I'd definitely go!

!

Whether Tie Fighter, X-wing vs Tie Fighter or Alliance should be used as measure-stick for realism :).

(Answer is, Tie Fighter ;) ).

Edited by Trupobaw

BTW: I think someone should make a space opera flick at some point (not within the SW franchise) where plane-like spacecraft behaved realistically in different types of atmospere on different planets. There would be a lot of fun to be had there.

It's called Battlestar Galactica (the 2000's version not the 1978 version)

• Upvote 1

I saw a game review of this and the reviewer say that scene never ever happens in the game. I think it was 'bait and switch' by the devs.
I've seen a few videos regarding battlefront and it appears that they were talking about releasing various paid for modules periodically. It's one game that I won't be buying into.

What made the xwing serie simmish stile wasn't FM as everyone can see.

The simmish stile was given by the complexity of the space ships systems.

I remember that i had a ch fighterstick and throttle Fully programmed playing those games.

Also the missions were strategically challenging. You could lose the same mission killing dozens of fighters and win it killing a couple of well chosen opponent at the right time in the right situation. Objective based mission in other terms.

The following games Battlefront included have nothing of this.....they are simply advanced shooters.

I can only dream of a new xwing with actual technology.

I'd take the X-Wing since it has shields. The basic TIEs did not so one or two hits and you were done. But did the TIE Advanced have shields? Trying to remember from my X-WING/TIE Fighter days, those were some great games. VERY hard.

I am also very fond of the A-Wing and the Imperial Shuttles.

Luft Empirewhiners will be complaining because the dark side is not easy enough.

...and don't forget, the X-Wing has flaps too...

myself if i was in charge i would introduce a new controller for  gaming, the laser sword for online jedi combat

it would feature a strong built in gyroscope controlled by the game negine

you know the key for mastering the jedi saber is mastering the force of the gyroscopic forces of the sword, kind of like a yoyo :)