Han

Developer Diary, Part 110 - Discussion

Very true.It will be on mission builder and server provider.As it has always been and always will be.There is no problem to have good pure dogfight,pure tank or mixed servers.Only imagination is the limit ;)

Can't wait to blow open the soft underbelly of some Tiger tanks with my P-40 .50-cals, just gotta ricochet those slugs off the ground.

*runs away from this thread*...

• Upvote 2

One thing I look forward to about having tanks be drivable, is it means their damage models will be more detailed. It will make them more interesting to attack, to have various destruction states other than perfectly fine or dead and on fire, having the chance to get a mobility kill on their tracks, knock out their crew, jam the turret, or various other forms of rendering them combat-ineffective will be nice to have. 

An epic saga :lol:

Two things I'm also looking forward to are the future implementation of the recon and artillery spotting functions from Rise of Flight, when combined with player controlled tanks. I'm curious as to how will camouflaging be used for ground units as well.

When used together, this should make for amazing cat-and-mouse scenarios.

Imagine the chills running down a tanker's spine when a single aircraft appears and starts to slowly circle their group.

This will also allow those classic 'find the tank group before it screws up everything' missions. Online it also makes for a much more interesting scenario where instead of having a set location for the targets which will either be static or move in a predictable direction, pilots will need to spread out and go looking for the tanks and then relay the information they have as soon as possible so that other pilots can help them. This also allows for some very elaborate traps and setups (for example: send the main group through the long way to the front and set up some flak trucks near some woods by a road next to the front lines. Have a pair of 109s circle the area at low altitude as if protecting ground targets and watch the Il-2s come in looking for the tanks just to be caught with their pants down by flak and fighters.)

I know I am surely overreaching in terms of teamwork but one can dream :biggrin:

Or hire/ buy steel fury developers and work togheter in one project planes&tanks ;)

Graviteam (Ukrainian) + 777 could do wonders, a morphing of the Operation Star series and Steel Fury/Steel Armor series with the IL2 series. Oh mama!

I literally came to verbal blows with someone over this. Someone who has no clue how ballistics work.

Can't wait to blow open the soft underbelly of some Tiger tanks with my P-40 .50-cals, just gotta ricochet those slugs off the ground.

*runs away from this thread*...

Comrade Commander for gunners, officially (tovorisch kommandir). Most of the time shortened to just Kommandir.

In practice however, general waves of swearing and informal excited shouting at each other. Like any gunner really, pilot-gunner teams were often inseparable so there was that connection that went beyond official mumbo-jumbo. On top of that Soviet air force members shouted at each other despite ranks, in a way this was less strict than most Western armed forces (examples are Kaberov's mechanic, a conscript, telling 4th GIAP-KBF's commissar to shut up and wait his turn to speak at a hearing over a botched sortie in front of many high ranking officers, and the numerous incidents of Yegorova yelling at superiors throughout her career).

PS: Great job with the comics!

PPS: That is not to say that there was no respect between ranks or that all kinds of insubordination went unpunished - Pokryshkin nearly paid dearly for his loud mouth and for punching a captain during a drunken brawl - but it worked a little different from what most Westerners think.

Edited by Lucas_From_Hell

I literally came to verbal blows with someone over this. Someone who has no clue how ballistics work.

I wouldn't get to worked up about it. This has been a running gag in flight sims for a generation. Also about how the grill on the Tiger's engine deck is exactly the right size for .50's to pass through unmolested and strike the engine itself. I think it started with someone's grandiose claims on Discovery Wings or some other such silliness. I'm sure it's probably quoted in print somewhere else as well. Statistically unlikely in almost every scenario one could dream up. One of the tinfoil cap types will be along shortly to say his uncle did it and it's absolutely true.

• Upvote 1

We need a flyable Gigant and a driveable panzer II or III.  Then we can travel anywhere, fight anything and keep them resupplied.

• Upvote 2

Even though I'm not much of a tanker, I fully support anyone that has the balls (and a healthy respect for historical accuracy) to stick a fat one up War Thunder's bum. Those guys at Gaijin are practically snakeoil salesmen and it's about time they have some legit competition.

Edited by Xenunjeon88