Han

Developer Diary, Part 110 - Discussion

I think the tank part could be fun and give the sim a new dimension but I foresee endless complaints about penetration values, vehicle armor thickness, blah, blah, blah...

Looking forward to the new maps and plane in 1.104!

i actually don't see it having that much of an impact. scrubs who don't want to sit in the gunner's chair can now sit in a tank or flak on the ground.

i actually don't see it having that much of an impact. scrubs who don't want to sit in the gunner's chair can now sit in a tank or flak on the ground.

Or, heaven forbid, people that actually want to play in tanks will be be able to.

Seriously man, stop being so provocative.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 4

So... THATs what will be interesting for airfield defence against vulchers.

2cm Flak 30 auf Fahrgestell Zugkraftwagen 1t Sd.Kfz.10/4

sdkfz10_4.jpg

72-K GAZ-MM

5310.jpg

I'd be manning that Flak truck a lot. Just to vulch vulchers.

• Upvote 1

I'm just glad they said it's not deterring the aircraft development. One thing I would worry about, is someone from WT coming in for the tanks, complaining about being penetrated in one shot and go on to give this game a bad review.

Don't worry Silky, I'm sure the team here love aviation just as much as we do, (Han's flying for example). As far as the WT thing, for one they would need to purchase :)  , and people are entitled  to have an opinion, from their own perspective, but that's all it really is, their own perspective ;) . Happy customer here buddy! The development continues, the community continue with input, all good.

I have wondered for some time now, and cant quite recall if someone decided to ask politely if they could dedicate a server for the mods on, (meaning the Hosts maintain it). Would the dev's be obliging for mods on under these conditions possibly?

Not quite sure how all that works tho, and the last I would intend to do, is ruffle any feathers regarding this. :salute: 

The imagination Boggles!

Just imagine for a second, IF... The Captains of ships... Say within a Pacific Theatre or simular down the track, where able steer and shell other vessels, and or land!

Now wouldn't that be a treat!    :)  Some wishful thinking going on here, that's all! :P

The imagination Boggles!

Just imagine for a second, IF... The Captains of ships... Say within a Pacific Theatre or simular down the track, where able steer and shell other vessels, and or land!

Now wouldn't that be a treat!    :)  Some wishful thinking going on here, that's all! :P

It could be something even simpler now. Suppose this goes off well. What would stop them from making drive-able trucks? That would seem to be simpler than making crewed tanks or AA. You could run resupply convoys. Sort of a Red Ballski Express. A lot of possibilities could be opened up with human driven vehicles.

You could run resupply convoys. Sort of a Red Ballski Express. A lot of possibilities could be opened up with human driven vehicles.

Great suggestion! It's nice to dream about such things, fingers crossed!  You never know what this talented team of developers is capable of surprising us all with :)   

Making some or initial tanks free-to-play (ala ROF's Spad and Albie) could be a great way to bring some tankers into our world, who may then get the flying bug.

You know very well that the "thing" with passion for aviation is somehow - a special passion and love. I doubt that tanks lovers would ever sit in a plane. But never mind, like I said, it would be very fun. Im more interested in FLAK though.

Edited by blackram

Gunner of the Flak

You are sitting duck

:P

...and someone calling me a scrub? Oh,my,first I have to google out what does that mean  :biggrin:

Would there be a limit to the amount of planes and tanks per map?

Because the last thing I want is to be locked out (unable to join due to "Server full") of a server of a flying game because people are having a tank battle (if they have crew positions, Soviet tanks generally have a crew of 4 or 5, and German tanks have a crew of 5).

Edited by novicebutdeadly

Would there be a limit to the amount of planes and tanks per map?

Because the last thing I want is to be locked out (unable to join due to "Server full") of a server of a flying game because people are having a tank battle (if they have crew positions, Soviet tanks generally have a crew of 4 or 5, and German tanks have a crew of 5).

This needs to be treated very carefully

• Upvote 1

Making some or initial tanks free-to-play (ala ROF's Spad and Albie) could be a great way to bring some tankers into our world, who may then get the flying bug.

that's really not how interests work.

This is a great sim that is getting better and better.

I love the idea of the addition of tanks. From the video, it seems that it is being done really well with the same degree of realism and detail as the planes.

I love the degree of immersion this will provide for Eastern front battles, and the possibility for a superb combined arms sim for WWII Eastern front.

I would not want the flight sim aspects to suffer, but from reading the posts from the devs, it sounds like they won't let that happen.

I am very optimistic about the addition of tanks, and I say bring it on!

There are not enough excellent WWII tank simulators out there currently anyway.

For many people it seems that "interest" is maintained by finding something that they never get tired of complaining about.

• Upvote 2

After recording a flight and playing back the track, what key comand gives you the external camera view we see in the aerobatic vids?  I would like to try and duplicate.  Thanks

Not so sure on that, I wouldn't have developed the love of WWI flying I've not got if it weren't for trying ROF on a whim. 

For many people it seems that "interest" is maintained by finding something that they never get tired of complaining about.

I can understand some peoples' concern that anything that takes away from the aviation aspect might be detrimental to what some see has hard core flight sims. In this case, I don't think that should be a concern. Many have complained almost from the beginning about lack of content in BoS, lack of the "game" in it. This appears to be a very simply and straight forward way to add a lot of "game" to this sim. Content that seemingly could benefit both MP and SP. Lack of vision isn't something that this development team should be criticized for. I can't imagine what they could come up with given a larger budget.

Edited by Rjel
  • Upvote 1

Not so sure on that, I wouldn't have developed the love of WWI flying I've not got if it weren't for trying ROF on a whim. 

that's a natural progression. both are historical combat sims.

interest cross over in sims really doesn't work like games in the typical mainstream genres, where people will just buy every single shiny looking thing that's on sale indiscriminately.

people who enjoy tanking will seek info about tank sims on the net. people who enjoy tanking and aviation will seek out info about tanking and aviation sims and so on. so it's very doubtful a guy who previously only enjoyed tank sims will suddenly decide he's into aviation because some aviation game now includes tank. at most, he'll come over and play tanks..but will he really do that when there are sims dedicated solely to tanks, which began their focus on tanks. naturally, he'll want the sim with the deepest, more realistic mechanics. and that's usually a sim dedicated to one type of vehicle, and in some cases, just one or two vehicles. so the best way to do that is to purchase separate sims focused on one type of vehicle, because sims with meandering focus usually have to sacrifice detail and quality.

arma eventually turned out to be a failure because they tried to do too much, and it spread the sim qualities too thin. in the end, they turned into a cringe worthy mainstream sandbox social game.

the imagined cross over really doesn't happen often. and i fear many devs today are trying to cater to that holy grail of consumer base which doesn't exist.

Edited by johncage

One thing I've come to understand regarding the gaming industry is: The consumers appetite, and how it may appear sometimes as an endless pit.. .
I for one will continue to trust and appreciate this teams vision, for what their doing is brilliant!

• Upvote 1

Wow devs you left me breathless, i can't wait for bombing some player's tank in MP, they'll be very scared hearing my stuka siren while i'll attack them

• Upvote 1

Does anyone think that the patch could come out on the 22nd? It'd be make sense to me... It's the game the game came out of beta, and the post says the update is ready for beta.

Or maybe I'm too used to relating things because of my English class. 

Either way; I'm watching you, devs  :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

R.I.P War Thunder!... IL-2 is the way too go ;)

This kinda reminds me of that old flight sim, Aces High. you can drive tanks and ships in that (although very limited).

Edited by Riderocket

This kinda reminds me of that old flight sim, Aces High. you can drive tanks and ships in that (although very limited).

This made me think of playing Air Warrior back in the day.  I didn't do it very often, but I recall being able to hop into vehicles in that game too.

If only we could get the artists from war thunder to agree to work for 777 and 1C for free...

Does anyone think that the patch could come out on the 22nd? It'd be make sense to me... It's the game the game came out of beta, and the post says the update is ready for beta.

Or maybe I'm too used to relating things because of my English class. 

Either way; I'm watching you, devs  :ph34r:

I can't say when they want to release the next patch, but when you read : ready for beta, it's ready for closed beta, then after it's release to open beta.

Maximum effort into producing more aircraft and theatres... yes, yes, and yes.

Dilution of main effort to producing tanks... no, no, and an emphatic no.

In case you missed it, J_W stated that the tanks are just a fun added feature that has been on the shelf for about 2 years. And won't interfere with airplane development or other game development.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18697-tanks/?p=293871

Therefor I don't think you have to worry about a slow down on new planes and maps.

Besides that, imagine tanks attract more players (= more revenues) then also development of planes etc. might benefit from it.

On a side note, I don't know if it is possible to crush wooden houses and sheds when you try to drive through them but it might stop the barking dogs in villages. :ph34r:

Tank makers are not plane makers: http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/3507-obsuzhdenie-110-j-chasti-dnevnikov-razrabotchika/page-11?do=findComment&comment=342367

:)

http://s22.postimg.org/rtkt2pm4h/2266480.jpg

x

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/29/article-2009603-0CC9AE3400000578-614_634x466.jpg

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

Dear Devs,

I hope you will set priority for game optimalization and get rid of CTDs and freezes firsth.

Read the DD: They say directly, that they've optimised the sim even further (virtually half of the updates so far have brought some kind of optimisation) and now they're ready to raise the server cap to 84 players as a test. 

Personally I think the sim is running great. I'm currently engaging in battles with 20+ aircraft in PWCG and it runs smooth on my 4 year old system even with all graphics on max.

As was stated, even if the tank side of things does not hinder aircraft development, what impact will it have on a server when there are people playing tanks and people playing aircraft?

what impact will it have on a server when there are people playing tanks and people playing aircraft?

It means that blowing up tanks will be even more fun than it is now.

• Upvote 2

It won't be fun if you are expecting a large air battle and two thirds of the available slots are taken up with people messing around in tanks.

Troop, my guess is that you will be able to limit the numbers over at the ME, the same it's done now with planes if anyone want. I don't see me building a mission with more than 10 or so drivable tanks (IA tanks can support) so we have plenty of server slots for flyiers.

Others could build a mission with only tanks slots for players...I guess it's up to mission builders.