Han

Developer Diary, Part 110 - Discussion

This is looking great, and I'm loving the tank sim aspect! VERY surprising, in a VERY pleasant way! :)

So long as the Tanks actually load on the SAME map in the SAME environment as the air war, I don't see any problem with this. Indeed I see nothing but advantages to it.

BoS is already an excellent flight simulator, and if it can marry that with a good tank simulator operating together with the flight sim, that will be absolutely awesome (not to mention bring more people to the sim, which is always a good thing).

Can't wait to drive my T-34 and watch those sturmoviks lay waste to my enemy, and play an active role in closing the Stalingrad pocket! On to Kalach, I say! :)

Nor a proper damage model ;) We'll obviously need modelling for an infantry soldier being ground to a paste by T-34 tracks.

Just c'mon Finkie :)

I find inclusion of tanks as an interesting move which adds a new dimension to the game/sim.

Prefere planes much more, but surely will do them tanks give a try.

Especially if there is T-34 and and hopefully adequate German counterpart.

So for me the future is bright, also because I just earned my (first) Iron Cross second class in BoS PWCG today  :biggrin:

Does the new campaign replace the current one?

No, it is set before the existing one, during Summer and Autumn.

Great news !!

Tanks .... Very supprised, but now I recall we already saw a video very earlier showing a drivable T34....

I would say it is a good news, there is basically no real competition in tank simulator atm, and I suppose building a tank needs far less ressources than building a FM...

Can't wait for summer :)

Guys............... oustanding.......................excellent....however.....we needs Directx 11.  Thinks about.......please!!!!!

Regards.

Héctor

• Upvote 1

What?! Where?! Is PWCG live?!!

You need to open your eyes a bit Chief.

We've had the driveable tank tech for a long time. Hasn't hurt anything. Will be a lot of fun to get called in for air support in MP.

Jason

• Upvote 3

Well, even the tank footage looks interesting, but i can think of a number of flightsim things that might've needed a bit attention before adding tanks.

It would be interesting to know, what you now plan to do with it. Will this be some kind of gimmick, adding one tank for each side, or might your next project be a full tank sim, instead of a flightsim. I personally don't think they mix, neither in SP, nor in MP.

• Upvote 1

Beta is, check the subforum.

It's obviously still far from finished, and certainly not bug free, but it's already pretty darned good.

Just c'mon Finkie :)

I find inclusion of tanks as an interesting move which adds a new dimension to the game/sim.

Prefere planes much more, but surely will do them tanks give a try.

Especially if there is T-34 and and hopefully adequate German counterpart.

So for me the future is bright, also because I just earned my (first) Iron Cross second class in BoS PWCG today :biggrin:

Sure enough :)

I'm more optimistic than ever about the future of this sim. It moves forward at an incredible pace in most areas.

Great update guys.

I was shocked to see the tanks! I think the tanks can make a great addition if done right.

One must be careful not splitting the current player group between two features, but rather attract a new group as well as the old following.

And the tanks are different enough from flying to make that possible.

The other thing is having servers that allow large enough player numbers. It would be sad if half the server space of 64 were filled with tankers and only 16 planes left on each side. But if you find a good way around that, this will be awesome.

The fact that you are entering competition with the "World of" series, and War Thunder for the tank crowd might be a bit risky, but the realism and physical modelling in this game beats the competition by a million. If you keep the same focus with the tanks (complex management, physics and a general focus on realism) as you do with the planes, you have a good selling point over the others.

Looking forward to seeing more on this!

Best,

Klas

It would be pretty cool if the tanks could be ordered to help destroy mission objectives, some sort of point and click combined arms stuff would be awesome.

I remember something like this a few years ago on the RoF forum, a tank video, but nothing ever came of it though, hope this is different.

The inside of the tank does look good though and will certainly enjoy driving them.

Mick. :)  :russian_ru:

• Upvote 1

I had missed this...WOW WOW...this day got even betteeeeeeeeeer. Beta available many thanks Pat.

I think the new vision with Tanks is fantastic and we will have more player on the servers.  The Developers have done a wonderful job with the FLIGHT SIM so far and having tanks will not hurt at all. Next time you hit a ground target and someone's names appears you will feel like a hero (again) 

GREAT JOB DEV's

~S~ Everyone,

One thing I first enjoyed about Flight Simming, was the open world setting, the freedom of movement, long before other genres followed suit.

Then we started modding CFS1, to put tail gunner mouse control onto bombers (which, also were mods), to flesh out that world even further.

One fine morning, I had the brainstorm to use that stuff, to arm our drivable tanks, and submarines, etc... again, expanding "optional" gameplay.

For that reason, I applaud the Devs. They are looking to expand the player base, not please any certain circle of us, and this is now a good tract for them to take.

That is 180* from my previous, "it's a flight simulator" stance. If, implemented correctly and we aren't suddenly inundated with a "less than gentlemanly crowd".

Given all I've said, I now hope that we are given at the least, an enemy opposition to boot, and cannot help but to think, those poor "Italian" players... lol   ;)

Any who, amazing developments all round! Special thank you addendum to the Legendary work of Pat Wilson. I'm not into SP, but his devotion to it, S!!! that!

At the end of the day, drivable tanks are a boon. Mission Builders / Server Admins don't have to include them, or, could make "Tank Only" sessions.

Blue Skies,

!S -Jupp- :salute:

Nor a proper damage model ;) We'll obviously need modelling for an infantry soldier being ground to a paste by T-34 tracks.

More gore is good. Seriously though, if you have controllable ground units you have to think about what you are going to do with them, (as opposed to just having a greater variety of targets for bombing). Are you going to design a wargame with objectives, planning, unit identities etc? Or is it more likely to turn out as a bunch of MPers trundling around blowing one another up while abusing one another on chat? The latter has no appeal to me whatsoever, so what do controllable ground units add to the SP game once the initial novelty has worn off? 

A good ground based wargame would be epic, but let us face facts, this team may be very good at the technical stuff but even a small land battle is vastly more complex tactically than anything in the air if only because LOS becomes critical, so I wonder where this is going.

Look at StarCitizen. Those dev are creating an environment for all gamers. Everything ( different game plays) working in senergy with the core of the game. These Dev are doing the same. Wonderful.

Look at StarCitizen. Those dev are creating an environment for all gamers. Everything ( different game plays) working in senergy with the core of the game. These Dev are doing the same. Wonderful.

Never finished cash sinks make poor examples in my opinion.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the update Dev's. Great news. I have to say that as long as the drivable Tanks bit doesn't distract or have a negative impact on development the core element of the sim then fair enough.  

I don't see myself jumping into the cockpit of a T-34 though!

tank-equipped-with-retractable-wings_zps

Now Im looking forward to drivable T-34 more then MiG-3.You made my day,devs.Big hug  :) ...I have to play that video again...and again and again  :biggrin:

At least tanks create a lot of discussion and draws attention. Not a bad thing.

I have nothing against tanks if they don't take resources away from the main thing which is the flight simulator.

Tank looks interesting. However, I do hope that is a completely separate Dev team.. Otherwise, it would compromise the evolution of the air game, which is the game we bought.

Edited by Warpig

Never finished cash sinks make poor examples in my opinion.

This is about the future of gaming. Not about the cash that chris roberts is making. We have been playing games the same format for a million years. Lets move forward.

• Upvote 1

Tanks.. meh :) a waste of resources IMHO. But all the signs of them coming in were there months ago.

The rest of the news are great - especially the FM optimizations that hopefully will translate to single-player as well allowing for larger and more varied plane formations.

Love the idea of tanks and air combined! Especially with proper tank crew mechanics. Just needs improved shell bullet impact fx IMO.

This is about the future of gaming. Not about the cash that chris roberts is making. We have been playing games the same format for a million years. Lets move forward.

Yeah, those blasted Stone-age aircraft-only sims...

Personally I don't think SC will be delivered as promised, sorry :(

• Upvote 4

Yeah, those blasted Stone-age aircraft-only sims...

There aren't any "aircraft-only" sims.  They all have targets on the ground.  Now those targets may be controlled by people.

I feel so bad for all those people in the early days who left the SIM. This is amazing works guys. I am so happy. Now I have one of the aircraft types for my squadron. I hope the skin template is ready!

Nice devs, with tanks trees needs to be destructible.

Edited by tomcatqw

Personally I don't think SC will be delivered as promised, sorry :(

I hope they will. At least to some extent. The boundaries of open world gaming is one that have been pushed alot the last 10-20 years and SC could push it over yet another hurdle. Combining genres in a fashion where all elements have depth enough to stand by itself as well as being seamless.

The chance of failure is of course high when attempting such a thing, but I do really hope it comes together.

I feel so bad for all those people in the early days who left the SIM. This is amazing works guys. I am so happy!

They are more than welcome to come back:) in fact, I'd be delighted.

Not all the negativity that exploded around the time of release was entirely undesserved, and I certainly don't begrudge people who might have given up on BoS at the time. My guess is that most of them would benefit greatly from revisiting the sim.

• Upvote 1