Photo

10km aircraft render range and why it is unacceptable.

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#201 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • Founder

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:57

It's really good that they're doing it, because the haze really was overdone, but in terms of game play, it's a secondary improvement. It may help in something (perhaps contrast in between the aircraft and the ground? Or will be the opposite?), but they need to work on visibility and reflection. I wonder why they did not import the ROF reflection parameters to BOS, which the former works significantly better in-game.

These cosmetic measures enhance the experience, but they are still cosmetics. And it does not mean much to compare to DCS because DCS simply has no light rendering and reflection at the moment on aricraft / objects? (they are virtually unplayable). And not long ago (Kuban patch) BOS was on the same boat.

I know that cosmetics sell (initially), but the developers need to go for the crux eventually.

Edited by SeaW0lf, 14 October 2017 - 13:00.

-- Win7 64, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i7-3770K, Assassin II, GA-Z77X-D3H, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, G-Skill 16GB 2400Mhz, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Corsair RM-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

#202 ZachariasX

ZachariasX
  • Founder

Posted 14 October 2017 - 14:52

It is not just cosmetics. You see some things from much farther than before. So at least, we get some increase in visibility. If you are bombing an airfield, you can see that now from a more plausible distance and line up you attack run. To aim for a specific building is much easier then as this one will „pop up“ in a distance that allows you for correcting the aim. I think this is a big deal. Besides getting a much more convincing view of the scenery.

We just got one of the things that we feel are important. Next issue comes next. Besides, unless they overhaul their entire rendering engine and go multithread, many further things we ask for come at the expens of other things. They just can‘t fullfill all our requests and deliver that at 10 fps.

They iproving rendering like that at the cost of little fps is a big deal.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognocscere causas.

#203 56RAF_Roblex

56RAF_Roblex

Posted 14 October 2017 - 15:17

It is not just cosmetics. You see some things from much farther than before. So at least, we get some increase in visibility. If you are bombing an airfield, you can see that now from a more plausible distance and line up you attack run. To aim for a specific building is much easier then as this one will „pop up“ in a distance that allows you for correcting the aim. 

Sorry. This is not true.    They have changed it so we can see the landscape further away.  Only the landscape.  They have not made any changes to the distance at which buildings appear.     For an airfield that means no real change in how far away you can line up your bomb run unless you already know where it lies in relation to a landmark but you are probably already doing that.    If you know that the enemy airfield is right next to a unique loop in a river and the hangars you want to bomb are nearest the river then now you will be able to spot that unique loop from further out but you will still be flying towards an empty field amongst dozens of empty field in the landscape until you arrive within 9.5 km of the target and the hangars pop into existence, the same as you do now.

For cities/towns it might be a bit better now as I think the ground shading showing where buildings should be, what look like the remains of buildings that have burned to the ground :-), is part of the landscape and so might be visible from further away now.  You will still need to know which one of those black smudges is going to have a target pop up above it when you get within 9.5km.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex, 14 October 2017 - 15:22.

Diary Of A HopelessPilot Officer - http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/    

56thmi11.jpg56th GvIAP 'Firebirds' 

BoM, BoS, BoK, La-5, La-5FN, P-40, Spitfire, Yak-1B, HS-129

#204 ZachariasX

ZachariasX
  • Founder

Posted 14 October 2017 - 15:57

They have not made any changes to the distance at which buildings appear.

There are parts of an airfield that are parts of the landscape, these render sooner from what I could gather. You should be able to see those. Runways are not objects but ground texture. Same as cities.

#205 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • Founder

Posted 14 October 2017 - 17:00

We'll have to wait and see what makes a difference, but it is borderline cosmetics in the sense that object spotting and reflection is way more determinant for combat (realism) and I think Kuban had more haze than the current maps. Perhaps they overdid it fearing fps drops because of the mountains. I'm OK with it and the new version looks gorgeous, but they are furnishing the house before building the roof so to speak. If they can get to the roof eventually (sooner than later) I am fine.

What I want to see is if the more contrasted landscape will negatively affect aircraft spotting against the ground, just like we have on the other sim on the market, when ground and aircraft have the same contrast and we see literally nothing below the horizon line (and they seem to don't care about it).

They have to think it through and I hope they do it right, because right now BOS is playable, but far from ideal. If the new patch make it worse...

-- Win7 64, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i7-3770K, Assassin II, GA-Z77X-D3H, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, G-Skill 16GB 2400Mhz, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Corsair RM-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

#206 ZachariasX

ZachariasX
  • Founder

Posted 14 October 2017 - 17:16

I do share your desire for reflections etc.

Just saying, we will get something unexpected that is undoubtably a huge step forward for the sim. That is cool. And we will get more given the track record of the devs. At least as long as we keep on buying their offerings. ;)

#207 56RAF_Roblex

56RAF_Roblex

Posted 14 October 2017 - 18:34

There are parts of an airfield that are parts of the landscape, these render sooner from what I could gather. You should be able to see those. Runways are not objects but ground texture. Same as cities.

Fair point.  I seem to do most of my flying from grass airfields and forgot some have runways :-)   You will still need to be familiar with where the hangars and fuel dumps etc will pop up though as that still wont happen until 9.5Km.

Diary Of A HopelessPilot Officer - http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/    

56thmi11.jpg56th GvIAP 'Firebirds' 

BoM, BoS, BoK, La-5, La-5FN, P-40, Spitfire, Yak-1B, HS-129

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users