Photo

10km aircraft render range and why it is unacceptable.

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 1./JG54_Slug

1./JG54_Slug

Posted 10 April 2017 - 17:57

Just throwing my vote in here for an increased render distance. Had to deal with this on a bombing run yesterday. Incredibly frustrating having things just pop in your view suddenly, or not being able to spot a flight of bombers in the distance.

The dot system is a great middle ground for this.

#122 JAGER_Hans

JAGER_Hans

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:31

My vote for greater range as well...sometimes the planes just disappear in front of you in a not so far distance (wich is bad enough) but sometimes they APPEAR behind you from a not so far distance. This for me is the biggest problem.

#123 sniperton

sniperton

Posted 25 May 2017 - 18:38

I'm a bird-watcher since childhood and I'm pretty sure that in clear weather I can spot a northern harrier at a distance of 1000+ m or a stork or heron at 1500+. Proven. Given their wingspan of 100 viz. 150 cm, they correspond to a WWII single-seater seen from 10 000+ m.

Of course it's not the same to see a bird when it's pointed out to you and to spot it while simply looking around, but it’s an object moving and constantly changing its shape and this way calling for your attention. Maybe it appears as tiny as a dot, but it’s a ‘blinking’ dot, so to say. A flying aircraft, although a solid shape, is not completely different either. When travelling, its relative position to you, lighting effects and reflections make it constantly changing in appearance. This is where BoX fails to render RL experience IMO.

If you use full zoom, a single-seater at 9000 m appears as a 7X7 pixel matrix (maximum) on a 1920X1080 display. It translates to a max 1.75X1.75 mm dot (most of the time it’s not effectively bigger than 1X0.5 mm due to aircraft shape and position), but I can live with it. My problem is that using full FOV the aircraft appears as a 2X2 pixel matrix (0.5X0.5 mm) blending into the background. A piece of dust on my screen is easier to spot. This is why I don’t consider unrealistic to fly with object markers on.

I understand that bigger aircraft dots would be disproportional, but making them visually more pronounced could be a solution. I mean a sort of shimmering, or something like that, which could fade out as you zoom in.

Edit: Please don't advise me to buy a bigger display with 4K resolution.

Edited by sniperton, 25 May 2017 - 23:02.

#124 33vortex

33vortex

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:43

Bought the game last weekend on Steam (BoS, BoM + La5, Fw190A-3) and coming from a different online air combat sim with a subscription business model I love the fresh high-end visuals, love the realistic feel to the fights on the Wings of Liberty server and similar. However, like the OP points out there are some issues with Situational Awareness and the provided ability (or lack thereof) to ID bogeys visually without the use of tags.

Yes the render distance is a issue, 10k is too close for much in terms of pre-merge positioning to take place. Also it seems all aircraft are reduced to grey smudge regardless of what color paint is on the airframe. The occasional glint or glare of yellow/red would go a long way towards being able to ID bogeys at extended ranges. From what I understand, the a/c render distance is not so much a local load/render issue as it is a server load issue.

Anyway, a dot representation of distant bogeys with a occasional tint or glare of recognition color would go a great distance towards improving the situation. Also, if there would be server settings available to set friendly / enemy tags on / off and also define the distance at which tags are to be shown, that would provide the community with more options to define their own preferred playstyle. One could argue that radio communication among friendly aircraft would make identification that much easier and therefore friendly tags would be visible at say 4k distance (a distance at which a military pilot should have NO problem whatsoever to visually ID any aircraft, regardless of angle). Therefore it would also be possible to ID bogeys as bandits when closing and no friendly tag appears, this would make the ID possible but would retain the difficulty in spotting and tracking bandits and thus the most important elements of the combat would be maintained at a very challenging level.

Just some thoughts and suggestions on the matter. But it's funny how the easiest aspects of real flying, the visual impressions and feel as you experience the plane and environment from the cockpit, becomes the most challenging aspects in a virtual environment. Quite frankly I feel blind as a bat when flying on the multiplayer servers without tags. There is no possibility for me at all to have a good situational awareness due to the way the aircraft are rendered, friends and enemies alike.

Considering that historically most of the air combats that took place on the eastern front were below 2000 meters, according to Günther Rall as that's what he stated in his biography 'My Logbook'. The exception to that rule was recon flights, but it's a fact that the nature of the air war on the eastern front was very different from that in the west. Perhaps the short render range is a way the developers try to enforce this low-altitude environment?

Edited by 33vortex, 09 July 2017 - 01:59.

#125 [CPT]CptJackSparrow

[CPT]CptJackSparrow
  • Tester

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:45

I'd be happy with custom icons, aka WarClouds style icons.

Posted Image

#126 hon0

hon0

Posted 30 August 2017 - 13:59

+1 for something similar to War Thunder.

But no label please!

#127 TheDaow

TheDaow
  • Founder

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:36

I'll chime in on this and agree with you all, and the thread starter (better late than never right..?).

They're working on it. It's been improved on the original build already and the Battle of Midway (recon planes need to be able to see ships) necessitates even further improvements but everything comes at a cost.

If this is the case, I sincerely hope they do something about it before midway is released..  :unsure: it is sorely needed, and will only make this great game a whole lot better.

#128 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:16

If this is the case, I sincerely hope they do something about it before midway is released..  :unsure: it is sorely needed, and will only make this great game a whole lot better.

It will not happen.

There will be improvements to the atmosphere and visibility, but Jason Williams has said there will be no change to how objects are drawn.

https://forum.il2stu...e-8#entry504542

IL-2:BoX continues to improve, however on the matter of the object rendering distance we will all need to learn to work with the system as it is.

#129 TheDaow

TheDaow
  • Founder

Posted 01 September 2017 - 23:00

There will be improvements to the atmosphere and visibility, but Jason Williams has said there will be no change to how objects are drawn.

Aw man I didn't see that.. 

That's a bummer. It's awesome how much the game has improved, but it's kinda second imho to something as important as render distance. Makes this awesome game they've created feel somewhat void when you're flying around in a little isolated bubble.

#130 Eldur

Eldur
  • Founder

Posted 09 September 2017 - 21:07

We can barely see the ground at 10+km, this has to be increased by at least factor 8 first. Flying at 1500+m altitude, you're completely blind if not looking straight down and it's impossible to navigate properly derpyconfused.png

Spoiler

#131 Gubernub

Gubernub

Posted Today, 12:53

I've been noticing pop-in aircraft more I really wish they'd take a look at this and increase the distance some even if it's just using simple approximate dots (not necessarily black dots but subtle colors to blend with the atmosphere) would be a great enhancement.

#132 Ishtaru

Ishtaru
  • Founder

Posted Today, 14:30

Aw man I didn't see that.. 

That's a bummer. It's awesome how much the game has improved, but it's kinda second imho to something as important as render distance. Makes this awesome game they've created feel somewhat void when you're flying around in a little isolated bubble.

I guess it is the absolut maximum for this engine and we never get more viewrange, sad. :(

Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5-3570k @4,3 Ghz, 16 Gig RAM, Palit GTX 980ti SuperJetstream, Samsung 128 Gig SSD, TrackIR5, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users