Photo

10km aircraft render range and why it is unacceptable.

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 1./JG54_Slug

1./JG54_Slug

Posted 10 April 2017 - 17:57

Just throwing my vote in here for an increased render distance. Had to deal with this on a bombing run yesterday. Incredibly frustrating having things just pop in your view suddenly, or not being able to spot a flight of bombers in the distance.

The dot system is a great middle ground for this.

#122 JAGER_Hans

JAGER_Hans

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:31

My vote for greater range as well...sometimes the planes just disappear in front of you in a not so far distance (wich is bad enough) but sometimes they APPEAR behind you from a not so far distance. This for me is the biggest problem.

#123 sniperton

sniperton

Posted 25 May 2017 - 18:38

I'm a bird-watcher since childhood and I'm pretty sure that in clear weather I can spot a northern harrier at a distance of 1000+ m or a stork or heron at 1500+. Proven. Given their wingspan of 100 viz. 150 cm, they correspond to a WWII single-seater seen from 10 000+ m.

Of course it's not the same to see a bird when it's pointed out to you and to spot it while simply looking around, but it’s an object moving and constantly changing its shape and this way calling for your attention. Maybe it appears as tiny as a dot, but it’s a ‘blinking’ dot, so to say. A flying aircraft, although a solid shape, is not completely different either. When travelling, its relative position to you, lighting effects and reflections make it constantly changing in appearance. This is where BoX fails to render RL experience IMO.

If you use full zoom, a single-seater at 9000 m appears as a 7X7 pixel matrix (maximum) on a 1920X1080 display. It translates to a max 1.75X1.75 mm dot (most of the time it’s not effectively bigger than 1X0.5 mm due to aircraft shape and position), but I can live with it. My problem is that using full FOV the aircraft appears as a 2X2 pixel matrix (0.5X0.5 mm) blending into the background. A piece of dust on my screen is easier to spot. This is why I don’t consider unrealistic to fly with object markers on.

I understand that bigger aircraft dots would be disproportional, but making them visually more pronounced could be a solution. I mean a sort of shimmering, or something like that, which could fade out as you zoom in.

Edit: Please don't advise me to buy a bigger display with 4K resolution.

Edited by sniperton, 25 May 2017 - 23:02.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users