Photo

10km aircraft render range and why it is unacceptable.

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#81 MadisonV44

MadisonV44
  • Founder

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:25

Darkpilot, I'm not comparing or doing any competition between one sim  versus other ... just remember the time when we could combine tactics & strategy. 

So let's take other examples without doing any comparison to any "politically incorrect sim" : 

- Did you notice the increasing number of spawning bases attacked online ?

(People are now so tired of searching the whole map for opposition that they come directly over bases to fight.) 

- have you ever heard an engaged  wingman at >10km distance asking for help, you run to this area  ... and nothing ... the combat has moved, but unfortunately you are maybe at 100 m from entering the bubble where he is, but you don't and you start opening your eyes wide in vain in front of an empty scenery  

- Did you ever see abrupt contrail terminaison ?

- Did you see dots disappearing just like if it was disconnected from the server ?  

There could infinite number of examples. 

I don't want to see this sim turning to raging dogfights on hot spots only with poping planes coming out from nowhere. IMHO it would be a really nice game play improvement to extend that bubble. And if there are any consequences on performance, devs should consider using dots versus lods at >10km distance.

#82 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:56

Do not get me wrong, I would be very happy for increased range and understand the benefits it would bring.

I simply asked (anyone) what original IL-2 had, I no longer have it installed, I do not see the harm in knowing that information, as a guideline as to what people would consider an optimum to aim for, if it was very different

My only criteria is that extended range spotting HAS to be useable/available to all users and not only to those with the highest spec equipment

Cheers Dakpilot

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#83 seafireliv

seafireliv

Posted 11 June 2016 - 13:53

(People are now so tired of searching the whole map for opposition that they come directly over bases to fight.) 

- have you ever heard an engaged  wingman at >10km distance asking for help, you run to this area  ... and nothing ... the combat has moved, but unfortunately you are maybe at 100 m from entering the bubble where he is, but you don't and you start opening your eyes wide in vain in front of an empty scenery  

Had that happen just last week. Flew to a dogfight with wingmen calling for help, Got there-nothing. I knew they were close but could I see them, hell-no.

And my eyes were wide wide open, searching in vain. :o:

#84 MadisonV44

MadisonV44
  • Founder

Posted 11 June 2016 - 16:49

@ darkpilot : so we are on the same page mate ;)

#85 Bert_Foster

Bert_Foster
  • Founder

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:02

Do not get me wrong, I would be very happy for increased range and understand the benefits it would bring.

I simply asked (anyone) what original IL-2 had, I no longer have it installed, I do not see the harm in knowing that information, as a guideline as to what people would consider an optimum to aim for, if it was very different

My only criteria is that extended range spotting HAS to be useable/available to all users and not only to those with the highest spec equipment

Cheers Dakpilot

It had a variable that the user could edit in config files known as "dotrange". It allowed the user (or server host) to set the maximum visible range and or colour and I think transparency type effect of a rendered contact. Silly use resulted in Montgolfier style Hot Air Balloons appearing at extreme range. On the other hand careful usage resulted in a feint grey blip that steadily took form as range decreased.

The Syntax was :

mp_dotrange FRIENDLY DOT 14.000 COLOR 6.000 RANGE 6.000 TYPE 6.000 ID 6.000 NAME 6.000
mp_dotrange FOE DOT 14.000 COLOR 6.000 RANGE 6.000 TYPE 6.000 ID 6.000 NAME 0.005

#86 LLv34_Taku

LLv34_Taku

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:50

Yeah, Dot range in old IL-2 was 14km on default with possibility to increase that DotRange to 25km. I think that 25km dotrange without any icons/colors was widely used in online battles. Worked really well in my opinion on Finnish Virtualpilots server. Friendly icon between 0-2km or so was used also IIRC.

#87 72sq_Savinio

72sq_Savinio
  • Founder

Posted 07 September 2016 - 22:00

youtube.com/watch?v=eVy2M5UQJxY

maybe a less defined but more distant Dot is a more correct way than actually 9,5km

Watch in HD (1080 at full screen) and you'll see an entire aircraft which literally spawn at 9.5 km. 

Edited by 72sq_Savinio, 08 September 2016 - 08:43.

Mb: MSI gd45 gaming z170a   - CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.2 - RAM: 16 gb Trindent 3200hz -  Samsung 950 Pro 256gb - GPU:  Gigabyte gtx 780 windforce III oc - Monitor: 27" Iiyama prolite xb2776qs 2560*1440 - PSU: Corsair AX 1200i

#88 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:14

I really hope with DX11 incoming this will get sorted out, and spotting range will be at least 25km. 

This 10km bubble right now is the worst aspect of the game. It makes tactical flying as a squad more or less impossible.

Online COOP wars are still way better in 1946 and Cliffs of Dover, because you have proper situational awareness, and can plan your attacks and movements as a whole squad way better, not to say spot huge bomber formations way better.

This is really the last stone for BoX to build a proper, usable flight sim for online war, alongside AI optimization. 

Should concentrate most of their efforts on this..

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*, 12 September 2016 - 02:15.

#89 72sq_Savinio

72sq_Savinio
  • Founder

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:41

Should concentrate most of their efforts on this..

+1 increase render range Will be the biggest improvement in term of gameplay. A real game changer and an adjustement necessary for BoX future.

Mb: MSI gd45 gaming z170a   - CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.2 - RAM: 16 gb Trindent 3200hz -  Samsung 950 Pro 256gb - GPU:  Gigabyte gtx 780 windforce III oc - Monitor: 27" Iiyama prolite xb2776qs 2560*1440 - PSU: Corsair AX 1200i

#90 Ace_Pilto

Ace_Pilto
  • Founder

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:11

They're working on it. It's been improved on the original build already and the Battle of Midway (recon planes need to be able to see ships) necessitates even further improvements but everything comes at a cost.

I think the implementation we have now is very comparable to 1946. (but with much nicer graphics)

Plus user settings make the situation complicated. One of the big problems I discovered was that my monitor settings weren't suitable to giving me a good render of distant planes since the brightness, gamma and contrast were wrong and the in built "sharpening" that my monitor has was making life difficult so this is as much of a user issue as it is an issue with the software. 

Make the most of your hardware first and see how it changes things.

My RIG: - Same old mediocre box of snot, I shaved off the beard. Powered by boredom, sarcasm and existential apathy.

#91 150GCT_Pan

150GCT_Pan
  • Founder

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:29

+1 increase render range Will be the biggest improvement in term of gameplay. A real game changer and an adjustement necessary for BoX future.

+2

#92 =TBAS=Tripwire

=TBAS=Tripwire
  • Founder

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:29

Spotting 'dots' is one of my biggest issues with this sim. Very frustrating the challenge it presents currently.

The 9.5km dot draw range is something I hope the developers work on increasing.

i7-7700k @ 4.8 | 16GB RAM | GTX1080ti | M2 SSD | TrackIR4 | HTC Vive | MSFFB2 + Joytokey | MFG Crosswind Pedals

#93 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

Posted 12 September 2016 - 16:01

If there wasn't a contrail, would you see an a/c at 32,800ft (10km)?

100 octane fuel was in wide  spread use during the BoB by RAF FC.The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed. There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.   Amiable to the Amiable; Inflexible to the Arrogant We never refuse to correct something that was found outside ED if it is really proven...But we never will follow some "experts" who think that only they are the greatest aerodynamic guru with a secret knowledge. Yo-Yo knows what he is doing and is delivering great products. That is why I bought DCS.

#94 ESCOMM_FlyMaker

ESCOMM_FlyMaker

Posted 12 September 2016 - 16:17

If i search Sky i found. Yes i can see

#95 72sq_Savinio

72sq_Savinio
  • Founder

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:47

Make the most of your hardware first and see how it changes things.

Personally i've no problem to spot enemy, but if you see the video you can see ho aircraft PopUp entirely.

Maybe they should be visible from far and less identifiable. 

II./JG77_Manu* also explain this. With min 15km spot range i can use a tactical approach and i've proper situational awarens, at 9.5 km range and 450/500 km/h isn't possible. 

Maybe they should be visible from the first although less identifiable

#96 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:14

Yes, and a big one like He111 also when its 20km away. A bigger bomber formation probably at 30km. Contrails even further..up to 50km when you concentrate. You can make an easy test. When an airliner flies over your head, you start counting the time. Every minute he moves 15km away, so after 3 minutes he moved 45km further away, which translates roughly into 47km range from yourself, when he is flying at 10km height. You will notice that you can still easily see his contrails on a clear day..if not even a glimpse of the plane itself.

At 15-20km i can tell you how many engines an aircraft has

#97 II/JG17_HerrMurf

II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Founder

Posted 13 September 2016 - 14:38

Sure but a 737 is bigger than a B-17. While I welcome a longer bubble, spotting an aircraft can be very difficult IRL. Even with ATC info and TCAS, finding a Cessna or Caravan in clear skies can be a challenge at 6 miles. Push those AC out to twelve miles and it's almost impossible without a touch of luck and experience. Adding a mild flicker/glint might be a good idea as well.

If the argument against expanding to the Western Front is simply the Luftwaffe was overwhelmed and defeated then there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to the late war Eastern Front either. 

Falcon NW Talon, Z97 Ranger, Intel i5 4670, 32 gb RAM, nVidia GTX 780ti, Hotas Warthog with 10cm extension, MFG Crosswind, Track ir5, 42" Sharp TV/Monitor 60 hrz, Self designed PVC center mount cockpit, PVC collective for DCS helicopters

#98 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:33

Not doubting that Murf, that it can be difficult. Thing is, it's possible. 12 miles would already be a huge upgrade to the current situation, and double the current render distance. Would be fine with that on an interim basis. Thing is, when i fly with my squad in 1946 or Cliffs of Dover, we often fly loose formation, around 10km range one from another. Because you know where your wingmen are, it's easy to spot them, and fly in such a manner. In BoS it's not even possible to do half of that, because if someone only slightly alters his course, he will just vanish from your screen. This makes tactical flying really (unrealistically) hard.

Back before i was in a squad i didn't really care, because when you are alone, or together with someone in TS, it doesn't really matter that much. But since i am in the squad, where it's about tactical flying, i really understand why 1946 and Cliffs are still better for squad based, tactical flying, KOOP online campaigns. Most of our members don't like to fly BoS missions too much, because they feel "blind".

I just hope this can get changed, for squads, squad based flying and KOOP campaigns it is the most important feature from all of them.

#99 307_Tomcat

307_Tomcat
  • Tester

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:48

Devs hears us , don't ignore our voices like you did with unlocks ;) We need see contacts far more than todays limits.

#100 II/JG17_HerrMurf

II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Founder

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:33

Devs hears us , don't ignore our voices like you did with unlocks ;) We need see contacts far more than todays limits.

They aren't. Jason already said they are looking into it and he is hopeful. No promises though.

If the argument against expanding to the Western Front is simply the Luftwaffe was overwhelmed and defeated then there is absolutely no reason to ever go back to the late war Eastern Front either. 

Falcon NW Talon, Z97 Ranger, Intel i5 4670, 32 gb RAM, nVidia GTX 780ti, Hotas Warthog with 10cm extension, MFG Crosswind, Track ir5, 42" Sharp TV/Monitor 60 hrz, Self designed PVC center mount cockpit, PVC collective for DCS helicopters

#101 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

Posted 19 September 2016 - 18:24

They aren't. Jason already said they are looking into it and he is hopeful. No promises though.

I really hope you are right. This change could really promote BoX to the sim to go for online flying. Could wish for nothing more to be honest, because the rest of it is so good. 

#102 Panp

Panp
  • Founder

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:31

I purchased this sim as a founder but I stepped away from this sim when the unlock issue was onging.

I have just started playing again and purchased BOM and started flying online again, coming from IL2 1946

I have found the short dot range to be counter to what you want when online, as it makes it to difficult to engage in the activity you came online to play. 

I have found the 10 k limit and the popping in of dots to be the worst aspect of this game.

I flew for 45 munites on one shortie when the server had 40 people in it and only found one person to duel with, this really kills the fun and the reason you bought it in the first place.

the old IL2 had most online servers set to 20 to 25 k to keep people active and having fun! the range give a person the ability to work on your tactics and also allows for better team action and interface.

I tried following other players around the map but soon relised that most it not all the action happened around the 10 k bubble of an airbase and the reason being is that we are all blind!

Every body I talked to said turn down the gama and you can see dots, ok but that kinds of kills tha aspect of the game and effort of the dev to make it look like it does at normal settings.

Why date a super model if your going to dress her in a ugly dress, raggy shoes and a floppy hat !!

I truly like the way the game looks and feels!

But the popping in of dots and low visibilty aspect in online play kills it for me!

Update ! 84 people in a server, flew 30 minutes and was jumped twice by high 109s that i just barely spotted in time. and thats all I saw during a 30 minute flight !  that = 2 minute of fun while i tried to get away and then we BOTH lost the dots.

Dev fix the dot range and get rid of the worst aspect of the game and they will come :biggrin:  

Just my 2 cents or rather my 79.99

I know people will say get a better system and you will see the dots, but I really cant get much better than what i have.

evga classified Z97

32 gigs ram

GTX 980 TI water cooled

4 ssd HD

intel 4790K water cooled and overclocked

GTX Titian physic

dell 30 in U3011 IPS panel on display port

2560 x 1600

Edited by Panp, 27 October 2016 - 02:32.

#103 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:45

I know people will say get a better system and you will see the dots, but I really cant get much better than what i have.

It's not your system. It's a game engine limitation. While currently implementing DirectX11, they should rather concentrate on this then on some better looking grass

#104 FS_Fenice_1965

FS_Fenice_1965
  • Founder

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:39

I purchased this sim as a founder but I stepped away from this sim when the unlock issue was onging.
I have just started playing again and purchased BOM and started flying online again, coming from IL2 1946
I have found the short dot range to be counter to what you want when online, as it makes it to difficult to engage in the activity you came online to play. 
I have found the 10 k limit and the popping in of dots to be the worst aspect of this game.

I flew for 45 munites on one shortie when the server had 40 people in it and only found one person to duel with, this really kills the fun and the reason you bought it in the first place.
the old IL2 had most online servers set to 20 to 25 k to keep people active and having fun! the range give a person the ability to work on your tactics and also allows for better team action and interface.

I tried following other players around the map but soon relised that most it not all the action happened around the 10 k bubble of an airbase and the reason being is that we are all blind!

Every body I talked to said turn down the gama and you can see dots, ok but that kinds of kills tha aspect of the game and effort of the dev to make it look like it does at normal settings.

Why date a super model if your going to dress her in a ugly dress, raggy shoes and a floppy hat !!

I truly like the way the game looks and feels!

But the popping in of dots and low visibilty aspect in online play kills it for me!

Update ! 84 people in a server, flew 30 minutes and was jumped twice by high 109s that i just barely spotted in time. and thats all I saw during a 30 minute flight !  that = 2 minute of fun while i tried to get away and then we BOTH lost the dots.

Dev fix the dot range and get rid of the worst aspect of the game and they will come :biggrin:  

Just my 2 cents or rather my 79.99

evga classified Z97
32 gigs ram
GTX 980 TI water cooled
4 ssd HD
intel 4790K water cooled and overclocked
GTX Titian physic
dell 30 in U3011 IPS panel on display port
2560 x 1600

+1

#105 =FEW=Friggitotti

=FEW=Friggitotti

Posted 10 November 2016 - 18:59

I agree with this topic, at 1000 km/h of relative Speed is almost impossible, everyone says that this is for ''realism" but this is a game, your monitor won't ever have the resolution of yours eyes...

#106 F/JG300_Gruber

F/JG300_Gruber

Posted 13 November 2016 - 21:40

Another aspect of why it is very limiting is for bombing.

Unless you are bombing a whole city or an airfield runway which is textured on the ground, with the 10km visibility bubble, any bomber flying higher than 4.5k have no chance to do any significant course correction once the buildings appeared.

It's funny to see people beg for long range 4 engines bombers like the B17,  Because if they ever get it and fly it as it should be, bombing from 7/8k, their target will appear in the bombsight way after the bomb release point...

5ISaUYS.pngnwwkBNc.png

Asus Z270, i7 7700K, GTX1080, 16Gb DDR4, 1To Seagate SSHD, 4k iiyama 40" monitor.

#107 -WILD-AlbinoHA5E

-WILD-AlbinoHA5E

Posted 28 November 2016 - 13:29

Speaking of Real Life I find that depending on humidity 8-12km are Normal for Sports Aircraft with, on Extremely Dry Desert Days without Hazy Updraft maybe 15. Larger Aircraft maybe 20-30km.

The Problem I see is not in the Spotting of Fighters, they are small and camouflaged and the Resolution of the Human Eye simply won't allow for more.

If just scanning for Traffic, 8km are the Maximum at which you will "pick up" an Bf109 Sized Aircraft, not previously knowing there is one. For everything above you need either Knowledge, Reflections, Krass Contrast or other Factors.

A Heinkel sized Aircraft may be picked up at twice that Range.

A Problem I find is that Contrails are also only visible at short Distances. They should be visible from far longer Distances. Right now they just kind of Pop into view once already in visual range of the enemy Aircraft.

Contrails definetly need more View Range.

And Ground Visual Range also needs to be at least doubled. Especially since Level Bombing Targets are already unrealistically small with not even 100x100m often, and should have visible Smoke etc. coming out from even longer distances.

Edited by CuteKitten94, 28 November 2016 - 13:29.

To Escape, one has to become one with the Obstacle

#108 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

Posted 29 November 2016 - 13:26

If just scanning for Traffic, 8km are the Maximum at which you will "pick up" an Bf109 Sized Aircraft, not previously knowing there is one. For everything above you need either Knowledge, Reflections, Krass Contrast or other Factors. A Heinkel sized Aircraft may be picked up at twice that Range.

This is due to empty field myopia. If another aircraft is within visual range, and you follow it with your eyes, you can double that range. Same if there is not a single aircraft, but a whole formation. Close formation looks like one object at long range, before you focus on it (empty field myopia again). When you fly loose formation with your squadmates, it can happen quickly, that you get out of the 9km bubble. Makes tactical flying unrealisticly hard.

Contrails are the main problem, you called it. They should be seen from 30k-50k , in the evening (sunset) up to 100k, when they get lighted on their "belly" by the sun. Of course no one demands that for this game. But there are various situations, where the 9km bubble is just not enough.

In Cliffs of Dover it's 16km, at that's pretty fine. Our squadron doesn't have any of those problems it has in BoS, regarding situational awareness. 16km, and maybe 25km only for contrails would be enough for good gameplay (also bombing).

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*, 29 November 2016 - 13:27.

#109 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 29 November 2016 - 19:36

Interesting article about Aircraft visibility by Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory (NAMRL) and the Navy Fighter Weapons School (NFWS)

in this thread

http://forum.il2stur...sibility/page-3

Cheers Dakpilot

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#110 71st_AH_Scojo

71st_AH_Scojo

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:23

I know this is old, but I wanted to note my agreement with wanting longer render distance for ground targets and planes as dots.

One of the things I remember about the old IL-2 is the way distant aircraft were rendered as black dots.  At the time I didn't think that much about it but in retrospect I now believe it's probably preferable to the pale grey smudges we seen in BoS.  Neither is particularly realistic but given the limitations of the technology, I think black dots are to be preferred.  

And while we're on the subject, I tend to find that aircraft, even ones at very close range (3-4 hundred meters) almost disappear against the sky when viewed from below.  This isn't realistic and it certainly isn't an attractive feature of the game play.

I like this idea. I remember having this in Pacific Fighters, I think it was, and I loved it.

I don't have any issue with it nor spotting or identifying planes at long range. I think 10KM is fine personally. I think they do need to increase the range at which you can see ground objects though, level bombing from 5KM is pretty hard when the targets don't render early enough for you to line up.

I agree. Whatever render distance increase for ground targets is possible, I'd like, even if you can only squeeze out a 1% increase. In my short time in this SIM, the biggest deterrent for level bombing has been the render range. Even dive bombing, the render range can be hindering. I don't need to see at extreme distances but some increase, say 15-20% would be nice. At the very least, increase render distance for buildings since lining up a bomber with the bomb site is in more need of render distance increase than dive and angle bombers.

Yes, but if the dot resolves into a 3d model at a set distance, let's say 10km, but is visible and uniform out to 20km, you have no way of telling the actual distance. Is it a Bf 109 going 500km/h at a distance of 20km or is it a He 111 going 350km/h at 13km distance? You won't be able to tell, because they will look the same.

I don't agree that this is a problem because right now, the only other option is to not see the aircraft AT ALL. Even if I can't tell anything about a black dot other than there's an aircraft there, it's still preferable to not seeing it at all.

Idk if 10km - 20km is the right distances for rendering the plane as a black dot, so whatever is agreed on is fine, I would just like to be able to see a plane in some way out to whatever distance would be commonly accepted as realistic for the average pilot.

Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman.                                           — Colonel Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann, GAF

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game.      — Sir Harry Broadhurst, RAF, 12 victories WWII

Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder.                                                                                                                                                    — Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker, USAS

#111 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann
  • Tester

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:59

So, Bombers and Ground Targets should be spotted from greate Distance, Fighters are fine. The Human Eye doesn't have zoom. 

Es geht hier ja nicht um nichts, hier geht's ums Prinzip! (Without Life, we'd be dead)

9dNzTpe.jpg
                          2iW21Np.jpg

#112 II./JG77_Manu*

II./JG77_Manu*
  • Founder

Posted 16 December 2016 - 15:54

So, Bombers and Ground Targets should be spotted from greate Distance, Fighters are fine. The Human Eye doesn't have zoom. 

You don't need zoom to see fighters 15km out, especially when they are flying in formations. If you have good eyes

#113 72sq_Savinio

72sq_Savinio
  • Founder

Posted 12 January 2017 - 14:27

News from developers? 

Edited by 72sq_Savinio, 12 January 2017 - 14:27.

#114 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 12 January 2017 - 18:36

Old video in there?

I can spot planes entering and Exiting my 10KM Bubble all the time.

(Also come real life be lucky is 10% of IL@ player could ever spot another plane in the air at 5km let alone 10km we are humans not Eagles.)

791JFcf.jpg                  
/CPU: FX8350@ 4.3ghz /GPU: GTX 1060 G1 Gaming /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz
 /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#115 19//Moach

19//Moach

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:16

to be fair we are "humans with pretty decent eyesight" - as all military pilots must have very good visual acuity to even qualify for basic training... 

rendering distant contacts as dots has been LONG overdue - and it's really not a matter of debate whether or not it is necessary, but of how best to implement it.

remember, your sim-pilot has perfect eyesight, else he'd be a sim-reject -- and you see the sim-world through his keen sim-eyes, thus he/you would be able to spot anything an individual who qualifies as a fighter pilot should

if the engine does not allow rendering of objects beyond 10km, then the limitation can be overcome by a clever "trick":

after 10km, stop rendering the plane, and render an appropriately sized dot at a point fixed at 10km down the line that starts at the eyepoint and ends at the far aircraft

change the size and opacity of that dot according to distance until a REALISTIC maximum is reached, at which point the dot would have faded to 100% transparency, blending into whatever background there is

really the math pseudo-code for positioning this dot in space goes like this:

DotPosition =  eyePointPosition + (normalize(aicraftPosition - eyePointPosition) * 10000.0);  

that's it - assuming of course that all positions are represented as 3d vectors, and that one "unit" corresponds to a meter 

this simple solution will overcome the engine side limitation and provide us spotting ranges that live up to our expectations

by testing for clouds (I assume there must be a cloud map type texture) using simple line intersection, one can also occlude any dot that is covered by clouds beyond 10km (do they even render that far?) - this would remove any quirks with contacts being visible before clouds kick in, and then disappearing behind something that was (supposedly) there all along

Edited by 19.GIAP//Moach, 29 January 2017 - 10:20.

This reminds me of the time I once built a Time Machine...  uh, no wait - that hasn't happened yet

#116 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann
  • Tester

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:59

Well, I have corrected 100%+ Vision on both eyes, the only reason why I couldn't become a Military Pilot is the necessity for Glasses which tend to interfere with HUDs and Helmets. 

And I will tell you what Cutekitten has already said, there is a Difference between seeing something you know is there in the Distance, and finding something.

Lighting, Time of Day, Humidity, Temperature, Clouds, Terrain, Position Relative of your Travel, Size and your Brain. 

Gliders in Alpine Regions are often required to carry Markings on Certain Parts of the Aircraft to make them more easily visible (unlike our WWII Birds which are the opposite) yet quite often when flying Ridgelines at 200kph (not 600 as ingame) you will be surprised how an oncming flyer will just Pop into view just as he is about to nearly hit you. 

The Human Eye doesn't have zoom and we are Creatures that didn't Evolve to Spot very small things at Distance in the open Sky. Your Brain will Fuck Up more than you think in these Situations.

It wants to work in Plains, it checks Plains, it recognizes Plains. It will check the Cloud Surface or the Ridge and requires a constant Extreme Concentration to break free from that habit. 

csm_Kopie-von-Wasserkuppe_-Segelfliegerd

Anyways. The Spotting Distance of 10km is a Non-Issue for spotting Camouflaged Fighter Sized Aircraft, it is Realistic in most Circumstances.

An Issue I find is that when Escorting Bombers the same 10km are Problematic given that they are about 8 times the Visible Area of a Fighter. These should be Visible up to around 20 to 30km depending on Conditions. 

Industrial Targets like Railyards should be vsibile from even further, and Contrails even further than that. 

Es geht hier ja nicht um nichts, hier geht's ums Prinzip! (Without Life, we'd be dead)

9dNzTpe.jpg
                          2iW21Np.jpg

#117 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:17

We arleady have a dot system for long range contacts in place. The thing is it's not implemented in a way that the dots transition smoothly transparent to fully visible state but just seem to pop in.

Also some of the larger aircraft LoDs seem not to transition into dots at the appropiate range. Haven't conducted detailed tests on the matter but one case is the Ju 88 where the 3d model will pop in too late when closing in on one (at the point the 3d model appears it's already larger than the small dot).

And I will tell you what Cutekitten has already said, there is a Difference between seeing something you know is there in the Distance, and finding something.

You forgot to mention that the human eye is way better at recognizing motion than stationary things. Flying paralell with another aircraft at a large distance it is easier to lose sight than if he's heading perpendicular to your heading because your eye quickly recognizes motion and fixeates on the moving object. This even works when the object is within peripheral vision only.

There are other circumstances like reflections that can help significantly spotting an aircraft at long distance.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka, 29 January 2017 - 11:17.

YdcExnd.jpg Ju 87 D-3 4K Skin Template
Beta Tester Ju-52 Early Supporter Ju 52/3m g4 4K Skin Template

#118 307_Tomcat

307_Tomcat
  • Tester

Posted 29 January 2017 - 14:17

We arleady have a dot system for long range contacts in place. The thing is it's not implemented in a way that the dots transition smoothly transparent to fully visible state but just seem to pop in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not quite "dot system"

There is room for smaller (further away contacts) for all standard monitor resolutions.
Look how many pixels has 109 right before he will disappear. (max zoom out)

141icur.jpg

Edited by 307_Tomcat, 29 January 2017 - 14:32.

#119 Panp

Panp
  • Founder

Posted 11 March 2017 - 20:56

Old video in there? I can spot planes entering and Exiting my 10KM Bubble all the time. (Also come real life be lucky is 10% of IL@ player could ever spot another plane in the air at 5km let alone 10km we are humans not Eagles.)

This is not real life !

Its a single plane monitor trying to replicate a 3d sceen on a flat surface, nor even close to real life

#120 bn880

bn880

Posted 08 April 2017 - 00:39

+2

I agree, I just bought the game and rendering ranges are a glaring bug really.  I see forests fading ahead of me, aircraft popping out of visual, ships "materializing" uselessly close for ground attack purposes.  It's really bizarre.  We just need some things unlocked for configuration, let users worry about performance if they push it too far.  my2c  (my system can probably do 2x these ranges)

Technically the only reason I even bought BOM/BOS over the old 1946 was for better rendering distances.  But this is taking a step back in most cases to FB 1946.  (insaaaaane) :)

Edited by bn880, 08 April 2017 - 00:42.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users