Sign in to follow this  
TP_Jacko

Pe-2 formation and tactics

Has anyone got information on the tactics used by Pe-2 bomber regiments either for level of dive bombing.

Cheers

I have read a good deal about PE 2 tactics, well that said all that I found in English. The Navy actually used divebombing tactics but The Red Army units did not. The movies about PE-2 in Russian paint a mixed picture about this.

There was one unit that started using Divebombing tactics after a new commander was commissioned, After a intense and long training session they start using it . I read this in FlyPast magazine and will have to see if I can find it. When I fly in servers I attempt level attacks , witch is to be frank too effective compared to real life, but understandable since we are not patient when it comes to frustration in a game. If cloud is obscuring or I get attacked in my IP I use divebombing. I hope I can find the unit name and name of the commander. The story is quite interesting

Please post t up when you find it ;)

not long and you are going to have to change your sig, Le0ne :biggrin:

Cheers Dakpilot

In my notes on the subject I have:

Dive Attack:
Usual dive attack height 3-3500m
Normal dive angle 20 - 35 degrees
Max dive angle 70 degrees
Release @ 700 - 800m
Fuse delay 30 sec

Unfortunately, as usual, I haven't listed the sources for my own reference.

I've spent the last hour trawling my references but have found nothing.

I remember Hearing\reading quotes from a Pe2 pilot, and I guess these notes were from that, but what\where they are, heaven knows.

The height of around 3000m is logical since the second stage blower is most efficient at this height (?), providing maximum efficiency as shown in engine manuals and here at about the 10:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBoDaD-om5k

I've read that the Il2 transited at low level, then popped up for the attack. Dunno if Pe2 were operated in a similar fashion.

Sorry it's rather vague. This is an interesting question. If I find the source again, I'll post.

Edited by No43_Handsome

Thanks for those tips Handsome i am trying to get Pe2 AI to dive bomb znd will see if i can follow that progile