BigPickle

Soundscape

The soundscape for the aircraft quite honestly is very dissapointing. None of it sounds realistic. The inline engines are all variations of the same samples and sound like a modern day cessna.

Is the soundscape going to get some love it deserves?

• Upvote 2

If you think the P-40 sounds like a Cessna, then I dunno what else there is to say.  :mellow:

• Upvote 3

Although I think it also sounds good I would not say its great. We still have some oddities with hit sounds and also some sound FX are not floating my boat for example the sound of the P40 0.5 cals or the drab monotone pilot voices that work 50% of the time (in the case of gunners) 

• Upvote 4

I agree with AeroAce. The engine sounds, in and out of cockpit, are great, as are the sounds of most of the aircraft systems, but there are many other things that are still not quite there.

• Upvote 2

Well for me the externals listening from the ground as the P40 flies past are very nice indeed. Maybe it is an age thing but a few years back you could say the soundscape was poor but now I can't say that.

I wish i had never bought Stalingrad or Moscow.

Just because of some sounds? That's like saying,,

"I wish I never bought Cliffs of Dover because there's only 3 clickable functions in the cockpit."

The P-40 in ^above video is the F variant with the Merlin V-1650. Or so he says, I don't know where he got the source if it even is an F.

The P-40 we have in the game is the E variant which has the Allison 1710. 

Edited by Y-29.Silky
  • Upvote 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3nEgkg0BF8

Does the P40 in game sound anything remotely like a real P40, no it doesnt. Allison or Merlin. I wish i had never bought Stalingrad or Moscow.

It shouldn't sound like that. That's a Merlin. The P40 we have here is an Allison, and the Allison shouldn't sound like a Merlin.

My sound system sounds close to the video Silky posted.

Get a better sound system, or tweak your audio output.

They give you the best base possible for everyone, they can't blow out someone's 15$ speakers because you want the default level to shake your room. That is on you, to up the bass, get bigger subs, get surround sound, etc. You have to do some work if you want it to be loud and have more bass.

You wish you never got BoM or BoS, and yet you suffered through Il-2's awful sounds until the sound hack came out. THOSE sounds were terrible, they DID sound like Cessnas.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Well I would maybe say that most planes in BOS have great internal sounds as well as external sounds.

BUT

in fly by view or if you stand on the ground and watch planes flying above or doing flybys, many planes sound like a tractor motor or especially when flying away from the camera. This is present in every flightsim so far I have played including BOS.

Maybe this is what he meant?

Edited by Kling

Well I would maybe say that most planes in BOS have great internal sounds as well as external sounds.

BUT

in fly by view or if you stand on the ground and watch planes flying above or doing flybys, many planes sound like a tractor motor or especially when flying away from the camera. This is present in every flightsim so far I have played including BOS.

Maybe this is what he meant?

Sure. If you are just using onboard sound and tinny sounding speakers without adjusting the audio.

You want great audio, you have to change the settings and buy the hardware for it. No way around it.

You don't get the best graphics on a 14" CRT driven by a GTX460. The graphics engine can deliver that, but it's up to YOU to get the output to handle what can actually be put out.

I can't record what I have, you'll never hear it or feel it. Nothing on my end can traverse the internet, someone would physically have to sit in my chair in front of my crappy ikea desk that is falling apart and hear through my cheap $100 headphones fed through a SBZ with audio output tweaked for best sound with a buttkicker secured to the base of the chair to actually experience the audio I get. With my headphones, it is still not as awesome as it could be. But, you want airshow quality sound? Guess how loud that has to be, guess how much bass has to be sent out. You have to buy some heavy duty equipment for that. But my 5.1 Headset and the buttkicker, they replicate it pretty damn good without pissing off my neighbors not to mention everyone else in my house.

Everyone complains about being unable to customize their graphics options, but when it comes to audio it should just work despite there being just as many variable sound devices and output devices.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Actually its pretty much down right ridiculous to compare the BoS/BoM sounds to Cessnas or lawnmowers. I just launched RoF, and they sound far closer to the sounds declared in this thread - as they should. Many of the engine sounds of those planes were said to resemble certain sounds, although they were 80 horses more powerful at the minimum. Like the sound of a hive of hornets being interrupted every foot by a 2" plank of wood to separate the listener, that was a description of a person on the sound listening to Nieuport 17s with 110HP engines. That was in reality.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Sure. If you are just using onboard sound and tinny sounding speakers without adjusting the audio.

You want great audio, you have to change the settings and buy the hardware for it. No way around it.

You don't get the best graphics on a 14" CRT driven by a GTX460. The graphics engine can deliver that, but it's up to YOU to get the output to handle what can actually be put out.

I can't record what I have, you'll never hear it or feel it. Nothing on my end can traverse the internet, someone would physically have to sit in my chair in front of my crappy ikea desk that is falling apart and hear through my cheap $100 headphones fed through a SBZ with audio output tweaked for best sound with a buttkicker secured to the base of the chair to actually experience the audio I get. With my headphones, it is still not as awesome as it could be. But, you want airshow quality sound? Guess how loud that has to be, guess how much bass has to be sent out. You have to buy some heavy duty equipment for that. But my 5.1 Headset and the buttkicker, they replicate it pretty damn good without pissing off my neighbors not to mention everyone else in my house.

Everyone complains about being unable to customize their graphics options, but when it comes to audio it should just work despite there being just as many variable sound devices and output devices.

+1

And if after listening to Han's video anyone thinks it still sounds like a lawnmower then it's definitely their audio setup.

Edited by Nikko
  • Upvote 1

If you are just using onboard sound and tinny sounding speakers without adjusting the audio.

In this case, despite don't hear the 'super sound", at least has the advantage advantage to be able to hear the enemy hits in your plane with this "poor" setup.  :biggrin:

You can complain about the quality of the sounds in which case a better setup (soundcard, new boxes / headset) and lots of setup tweaking might help but not nesecarily resolve the issue.

Or you can form a complain about the sound samples being used ingame, which isn't always related to it's quality. Incase of sound quality my impression is that most engines at mid to high RPM range sound to dull and high frequent.

As for the sample issue the La-5 has probably one of the most ackward engine sounds ingame. When I first started it I laughed and said to myself "It's my Se-5 from Rise of Flight" (unfortunately it turned out to not fly as well ;) ).

There are a good handsome Ash-82 engines still availabel including the ones fitted in restored and rebuild Fw 190 and they just don't sound anything like it does ingame.

It isn't as easy as spending the most money to get the best expirience. At least not for everyone.

• Upvote 1

Im using a 7.1 USB Headset with its own amplifier and for speaker I have a 5.1 surround(although only using stereo due to space limitations) with subwoofer.

I can hear real life flyby videos on youtube perfectly fine. Tiger33s sound mod sound absolutely wonderful for my old il2 1946 version

Check this video

https://youtu.be/H0vrl6Zl5ws

This sounds are from the game and not added afterwards.

So it is possible even with my so called crappy system.

It isn't as easy as spending the most money to get the best experience. At least not for everyone.

And it's also not as easy as the team being able to just go out and record authentic engine sounds whenever and wherever they need to. All of that takes time and money, which for a project like this is going to be limited. It's not like they are Electronic Arts, who can afford to spend lots and lots time recording high-end audio.

Thankfully, though, the team has shown a willingness to update/improve the sounds when they are able to, so I've no doubt we will continue to see improvements to the audio samples as the game continues to mature.  

And it's also not as easy as the team being able to just go out and record authentic engine sounds whenever and wherever they need to. All of that takes time and money, which for a project like this is going to be limited. It's not like they are Electronic Arts, who can afford to spend lots and lots time recording high-end audio.

Thankfully, though, the team has shown a willingness to update/improve the sounds when they are able to, so I've no doubt we will continue to see improvements to the audio samples as the game continues to mature.  

sounds good!

And it's also not as easy as the team being able to just go out and record authentic engine sounds whenever and wherever they need to.

They don't have to record it themself. For example the Bf 109 sound ingame (which is one of the more authentic ones) uses bits of the sound recording of "Black Six" (it is being sold and even upoaded on YT). And there's a difference between creating an actual authentic or realistic sound.

A great example for that would be Rise of Flight. Some planes got very high sound quality and probably only very few were based on 100 years old and restored engines. It is less easy with WW2 planes given so many of them still fly today but in some cases it's nessecary (for example Stuka, IL-2, Mig-3 ect).

Improvements are very welcome and if new aircraft get the same amount of love as the P-40 BoM will be accusticly superiour to other sims.

Edit: Also, talking about cheap alternatives, mods again prove to be a great solution.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

Perception of the sound is in the ear of beholder ;)

I have USB headset (Fatality smtg?) and it runs good.I have never been a sound freak = no complains from my side.I also have a dedicated soundcard + 5.1 dedicated surround system stored somewhere in my garrage,but due to space limitations of my actual "gaming cave" and to respect neighbours right to enjoy their living in quiet environment,I did not install it :biggrin:

The soundscape for the aircraft quite honestly is very dissapointing. None of it sounds realistic. The inline engines are all variations of the same samples and sound like a modern day cessna.

Is the soundscape going to get some love it deserves?

Hello BigPickle,

I think two things would help understand your post better because we all have different rigs and perception and I would like to extract something useful from these conversations.

• Just in case its more of a hardware related issue what sound card and headset do you use. 
  • For the Devs to be inspired they need a tangible measure of what sound you consider acceptable to be able to target an improvement. To say its not realistic sound is not any help to be honest. So perhaps dig out some examples and help give the Devs something to target.

D2X here and if I turn the sound up the bass kicks in more and it sounds ok.  I have it lower so I can hear TS though.  That's the issue with ambient and TS sounds coming through one set of speakers (headphones).

von Tom

My Rig:

i7 4790k

Asus Sabertooth Motherboard

Asus GTX 980

16Gb Corsair Vengeance

SoundBlaster ZXR SoundCard

Win10 64bit

My thoughts about sound.

I've been an amateur field recordist for about 4 years now and I've been sound modding for nearly double. My speciality is aircraft and environmental sounds, I cannot even begin to describe how it feels when I'm recording what I know is going to be an amazing sample, the anxiousness of journeys to the locations, the calm once I'm set up and ready to record. It's hard to explain but its a true passion.

Then it begins all over again when you get the sample onto a machine to edit, and once more when placing the sound into a medium such as a mod for a game and viewing the results.

Obviously I know that P40F is a merlin powered engine and not an Allison, but to me that just highlights the point with the Allison engine used in that variant being quite a higher pitch than the merlin variant. The sound in game has way too much low end and it distorts the high lossing any detail. Why use a poorer sample when there are many samples out there that may not be the sample variant but produce a much higher quality result.

Internal sounds of the inline fighters sound the same, nothing like the raw sounds of the early Beta where they were much better in my opinion. Comparing them honestly in the different views shows not enough differences to make them sound like different aircraft.

Having spent hours and hours of recording aircraft and many more hours editing and modding with the sounds, sorry but the Russian inline aircraft sound too clean and too modern especially in external view, any raw or gruff seems to have  been cleaned out of the samples, to the point where they resemble a modern prop light aircraft in my opinion.

My recording setup for aircraft:

Fostex FR2-LE Compact Flash Recorder

X2 Rode NTG3 Shotgun Mics + X2 Rode Blimps

XLR cable - Gold Neglex Quad Microphone Cable for Studio Neutrik XLR

Beyerdynamic DT150 Headset

X2 Manfrotto 5001B Stands

My Rig:

i7 4790k

Asus Sabertooth Motherboard

Asus GTX 980

16Gb Corsair Vengeance

SoundBlaster ZXR SoundCard

Win10 64bit

My thoughts about sound.

I've been an amateur field recordist for about 4 years now and I've been sound modding for nearly double. My speciality is aircraft and environmental sounds, I cannot even begin to describe how it feels when I'm recording what I know is going to be an amazing sample, the anxiousness of journeys to the locations, the calm once I'm set up and ready to record. It's hard to explain but its a true passion.

Then it begins all over again when you get the sample onto a machine to edit, and once more when placing the sound into a medium such as a mod for a game and viewing the results.

Obviously I know that P40F is a merlin powered engine and not an Allison, but to me that just highlights the point with the Allison engine used in that variant being quite a higher pitch than the merlin variant. The sound in game has way too much low end and it distorts the high lossing any detail. Why use a poorer sample when there are many samples out there that may not be the sample variant but produce a much higher quality result.

Internal sounds of the inline fighters sound the same, nothing like the raw sounds of the early Beta where they were much better in my opinion. Comparing them honestly in the different views shows not enough differences to make them sound like different aircraft.

Having spent hours and hours of recording aircraft and many more hours editing and modding with the sounds, sorry but the Russian inline aircraft sound too clean and too modern especially in external view, any raw or gruff seems to have  been cleaned out of the samples, to the point where they resemble a modern prop light aircraft in my opinion.

My recording setup for aircraft:

Fostex FR2-LE Compact Flash Recorder

X2 Rode NTG3 Shotgun Mics + X2 Rode Blimps

XLR cable - Gold Neglex Quad Microphone Cable for Studio Neutrik XLR

Beyerdynamic DT150 Headset

X2 Manfrotto 5001B Stands

Hi BigPickle.

Check PM please.

Hello all,

I use a Sennheiser PC-310 headset and the sound quality is acceptable to me but to really make it 'sing' I find it better to use external speakers and a subwoofer.

Good hunting,

=CFC=Conky

Hey BigPickle thats more like a post i can understand where you are comming from, thanks for posting. What i am now wondering is can you do some homework with the Devs and try an experiment. The sound on the Il2 1946 vid here is impressive maybe can improve the game experience.

• Upvote 1

+1

There is constructive criticism.. and then there is just plain whining. I appreciate OPs knowledge about sound recording... but why "

I wish i had never bought Stalingrad or Moscow."? That's just plain silly.

Present your findings and recommendations to team... maybe you can help improve the sim like so many other's.. and maybe.. just maybe.. you could get insight in the team's balancing act: how much focus on sound? how much focus of physics? how much focus on environment... how much focus on graphics.. how much focus on performance... I could go on and on. You can't seriously compare your "hobby" catching the perfect sound... with developing a sim?

... stay real. stay realistic..stay sane

• Upvote 1

+1

There is constructive criticism.. and then there is just plain whining. I appreciate OPs knowledge about sound recording... but why "

I wish i had never bought Stalingrad or Moscow."? That's just plain silly.

Present your findings and recommendations to team... maybe you can help improve the sim like so many other's.. and maybe.. just maybe.. you could get insight in the team's balancing act: how much focus on sound? how much focus of physics? how much focus on environment... how much focus on graphics.. how much focus on performance... I could go on and on. You can't seriously compare your "hobby" catching the perfect sound... with developing a sim?

No offence, but you dont know what your talking about.

And yes I still wish I hadnt wasted my money on these games because of how I feel about the sound.

No amount of passive aggressive bullying [Edited] talk you or anyone else here gives me will make me feel any different. I didnt post to say how I feel to you, I posted to say how I feel to the developers.

I have spoken about this from the start, none cared then, none care now about my opinion because its too late once you have already put your money in their account, if you dont understand that then:

Edited by Bearcat
Language

Oh well i tried to move forward with this.

Oh well i tried to move forward with this.

Not worth the effort Jacko.

von Tom

D2X here and if I turn the sound up the bass kicks in more and it sounds ok.  I have it lower so I can hear TS though.  That's the issue with ambient and TS sounds coming through one set of speakers (headphones).

von Tom

Get one of these for TS.. and use an inexpensive gaming headset. I use something similar to this that I got from Microcenter for $15. It works great for TS which is all I use it for. Using one of these you can assign TS to the USB device and get your sounds from your speakers. For me even when the sounds are low I still prefer to have the engine sounds coming through speakers..

No amount of passive aggressive bullying [Edited] talk you or anyone else here gives me will make me feel any different. I didnt post to say how I feel to you, I posted to say how I feel to the developers.

I have spoken about this from the start, none cared then, none care now about my opinion because its too late once you have already put your money in their account, if you dont understand that then:

I know it's stating the obvious, but...if you post your opinion on a public forum, then expect others to reply to what you say. If you really didn't want us to comment on how you felt, you should have just addressed your concerns to the team with a private message.

• Upvote 3

Get one of these for TS.. and use an inexpensive gaming headset. I use something similar to this that I got from Microcenter for $15. It works great for TS which is all I use it for. Using one of these you can assign TS to the USB device and get your sounds from your speakers. For me even when the sounds are low I still prefer to have the engine sounds coming through speakers..

Nice idea. My issue is really the kids. My play time coincides with bedtime and a 6 yo and twins of 3 might not sleep with the supercharger whine of a DB601 coming through the walls. Hence the headphones.

von Tom

Sound or no sound. I will buy BOM when it is out.

Then maybe the smoke effects from damaged aircraft can get some love and BOM will be up to 2015 standards! :)