Jump to content

This is where we will discuss PWCG for BOS


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JimiJimo said:

Hey guys new to this but can you do what you do in the stock career mode, where you do a long campaign from moscow all the way to bodenplatte? haven't played the game yet but I keep hearing about this mod so I'm curious.

 

Yes.  You can also do a Russian career beginning to end.  I have created a Faux 1944 and 1945 environment to let you keep flying.  of course the late war Russian planes like the La7 don't exist in the game, but it's still fairly realistic as some of the 1943 types like the Yak-9 and La-5FN flew to the end of the war.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

Yes.  You can also do a Russian career beginning to end.  I have created a Faux 1944 and 1945 environment to let you keep flying.  of course the late war Russian planes like the La7 don't exist in the game, but it's still fairly realistic as some of the 1943 types like the Yak-9 and La-5FN flew to the end of the war.

Thanks! :)

5 hours ago, Hetzer-JG51 said:


Yes, you can. :)

 

Thanks alot! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have experienced more than once now that when attacking A-20's with my ME-262 the gunners does not seem to defend themselves? and often they are unprotected/unescorted?

is this just me being lucky that they are unescorted and too fast for the AI gunners to get a solution?

 

another thing, it seems that tho the PWCG plans for my flight of four me-262 to use 500kg bombs, the planes are only loaded with 250kg bombs? this also occured in two missions in the P38, i choose rockets and bombs and they only had bombs, next mission i choose 6 bombs and they still only had the standard 2 as previous.

 

using PWCG 11.10.00

 

Best regards

Edited by Wulfkai
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wulfkai said:

i have experienced more than once now that when attacking A-20's with my ME-262 the gunners does not seem to defend themselves? and often they are unprotected/unescorted?

is this just me being lucky that they are unescorted and too fast for the AI gunners to get a solution?

 

I have noticed that gunners, AA, etc. do not respond in PWCG as quickly as they do in the stock career.  I think Pat has mentioned something about this before, most likely to do with the way AI recognizes you.  Don't know.  They do defend themselves well, there just seems to be a "grace period", perhaps the AI's way of simulating awareness and response.  One of the earlier iterations had bombers that didn't defend themselves at all, but Pat did resolve that.  The gunners aren't as lethal on your approach as the stock campaign, but they wake up quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FodderMonkey said:

 

I have noticed that gunners, AA, etc. do not respond in PWCG as quickly as they do in the stock career.  I think Pat has mentioned something about this before, most likely to do with the way AI recognizes you.  Don't know.  They do defend themselves well, there just seems to be a "grace period", perhaps the AI's way of simulating awareness and response.  One of the earlier iterations had bombers that didn't defend themselves at all, but Pat did resolve that.  The gunners aren't as lethal on your approach as the stock campaign, but they wake up quickly.

Fantastic and thanks :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ITAF_Civetta said:

Hi all...

I'm doing a Stuka Career, and I'm wondering if could be possible to have "ground kill" on dashboard...or, historically speaking, they never appear on that?

 

Should do that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

 

Should do that.

It will be great, I'm too a bomber player.

 

Another things that (IMHO) should be implemented is the probability to not fly every day due to weather/others causes. It is a bit strange that every day I fly a mission, expecially during november-december (the period I'm playing). Thanks!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 22.Gr.CT.Ludovisi said:

It will be great, I'm too a bomber player.

 

Another things that (IMHO) should be implemented is the probability to not fly every day due to weather/others causes. It is a bit strange that every day I fly a mission, expecially during november-december (the period I'm playing). Thanks!

 

PWCG changes the spacing between missions based on activity.  Flying daily only happens around battles.  During other periods there might be several days between missions.  My guess is that if you were a German pilot around Stalingrad in 1942 they wanted you in the air. 

 

TBH I do not know to what extent the air forces were grounded by weather.  I now that both air forces around Stalingrad and Moscow the year before took every measure they could to get in the air.  That meant flying in conditions that they normally would never think to fly in.  What I do not have a good sense of is how often they just said no and stayed on the ground.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all...

Yesterday I tried to start a campaign with Hs129 B2. In stock game 129 is available already in Stalingrad but in PWCG same plane is available only in March (or April I dont remeber exaclty)1943... 

 

I think that PWCG is more storically accurate but...am I right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ITAF_Civetta said:

Hi all...

Yesterday I tried to start a campaign with Hs129 B2. In stock game 129 is available already in Stalingrad but in PWCG same plane is available only in March (or April I dont remeber exaclty)1943... 

 

I think that PWCG is more storically accurate but...am I right?

 

I think that there is a good argument that the 1C career is more accurate than PWCG in terms of details like plane assignments and unit placement.  I am the first to admit that I will make small changes to history to increase enjoyment.  PWCG will do things like change the historical airfield to make playing more fun and to better balance unit allocation.  PWCG implements a dynamic resupply system that, by definition, is not 100% accurate because it is dynamic.  It is, however, plausible and making it dynamic adds a supply shortage element to the game.  So there's a trade off.

 

For me the classic tradeoff is use or don't use Stukas at Moscow.  The D was not available at that time so in the 1C career there are no Stukas at Moscow.  In PWCG I made the decision to use the D even if it is a later version, because a not quite the right Stuka is IMHO much better than no Stuka.  

 

In the end 1C and I each made some concessions to the reality that this is a game.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Thanks so much for all the work you do on the generator Patrick.

 

My squadron flies PWCG for BoS twice a week and PWCG for FC once a week, however we have several players that dont have some collectors planes and such, is it possible we could add a way to make a 'mixed' squadron of 2 or 3 types of aircraft so we can all go on the same missions from the same airfield?

 

Also when I have tried having 2 groups of pilots in different squadrons but at the same airfield all the aircraft spawn on top of each other ( well merged actually ).

 

Thanks

Ebein Tides

VFA-106 Gladiators

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 5:04 PM, [VFA-106]ebein said:

Thanks so much for all the work you do on the generator Patrick.

 

My squadron flies PWCG for BoS twice a week and PWCG for FC once a week, however we have several players that dont have some collectors planes and such, is it possible we could add a way to make a 'mixed' squadron of 2 or 3 types of aircraft so we can all go on the same missions from the same airfield?

 

Also when I have tried having 2 groups of pilots in different squadrons but at the same airfield all the aircraft spawn on top of each other ( well merged actually ).

 

Thanks

Ebein Tides

VFA-106 Gladiators

 

 

Not yet.  I have had this request many times and will get to it one day.  It's just not entirely simple to pull off.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I want to know what happen if in a co-op I select "leave" in activity option.

I know that time advances forward. But what happen with front line or resources?

 

Thanks.

Edited by Spark_23
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 7:04 PM, Spark_23 said:

Hi, I want to know what happen if in a co-op I select "leave" in activity option.

I know that time advances forward. But what happen with front line or resources?

 

Thanks.

 

Front line may change based on date.  All normal activity continues.  Virtual missions are flown which may result in victories or losses.  Resupply happens as it would if you were flying a mission.

 

PWCG has extensive code to model activities outside of your mission.  A PWCG cycle is one day.  When you fly a mission the occurrences of your mission are combined with the out of mission activities.  If you don't fly then everything is out of mission.  If you take leave then every day you are off is modeled and things happen.  When you come back things are as they are.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

there is a problem with strategic intercept missions (Kuban map, Bf 110 G-2). The ingress point before the patrol zone is set to low altitude (eg 700 m, while intercept zone is at 7.000).

Thanks

Edited by 22.Gr.CT.Ludovisi
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aplaceinthesky said:

Hello, I'm pretty sure I have installed it  the mission generator correctly, but when I create the mission it doesn't appear in the mission menu.

Can anyone help me out?

Look for the PWCG folder in the missions menu.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I had read about this somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it now.....

 

Can PWCG (for FC) be configured so that a player-bomber flight is escorted by a player-fighter flight?    I tried setting max friendly flights to two, and setting escort mission type to 1000 for scouts, but that didn't work.   The player-fighter flight was still assigned escort to an ai two-seater flight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JG1_Jaus said:

I thought I had read about this somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it now.....

 

Can PWCG (for FC) be configured so that a player-bomber flight is escorted by a player-fighter flight?    I tried setting max friendly flights to two, and setting escort mission type to 1000 for scouts, but that didn't work.   The player-fighter flight was still assigned escort to an ai two-seater flight.

 

Not at this time.  This is a common request and I want to get to it at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I very much like that in PWCG it is not scripted who will meet whom.

Just a couple of flights is launched, each with its own task, and they do meet or not.

If you happen to meet a superior force  - well, shit happens. Maybe you could have evaded them.

On the other hand, you can also have entire missions without seing anyone at all, and anything in between.

You can even be as lucky as getting bombed to pieces on takeoff :)

Every mission is different, you never know whats going to happen, just as in real life.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2021 at 7:13 AM, Missionbug said:

Normally I would also say the generator from Pat is superior but it also has issues, I abandoned a recent Hurricane campaign because the other aircraft behind me in the take off order would flip over onto their nose in winter, generator or sim issue not sure but I gave up reporting issues long ago as it gets you nowhere, just frustrated.

 

Yes, this is an airfield specific issue, so I wouldn't let it scuttle your entire campaign if you were having fun otherwise (my PWCG Hurricane squadron now has the leading Soviet Ace - chasing Rall for the #1 spot).  @PatrickAWlson is aware and has commented on it several times, saying it isn't something easily addressed.  That said, it isn't hard to workaround it, especially with all the flexibility that PWCG provides.  Here is a post with a few workarounds regarding one of the bugged airfields if it helps:

 

 

8 hours ago, greybeard_52 said:

like the unfair number of opponents the player and his mates must face (even setting air activity to Low, as I did)

 

FYI - You can control this through the max enemy flights in the advanced config menus.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, greybeard_52 said:

True: I mixed and matched different things...

 

In the meantime, I downloaded and installed Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator, and played three missions in three different careers. Remarkable (I also made him a small present with Paypal)! Much appreciated Italian career with Italian names! Also, more historical flight altitudes. And the general higher level of info and manageable details. Unfortunately, it drags behind some hiccups of original career mode (IMO), like the unfair number of opponents the player and his mates must face (even setting air activity to Low, as I did). In the last mission we three P-40's fought against a dozen of enemy Bf 109F and E. In addition, Pat added aces, and I was shot down just by Gunther Rall... Too bad!☹️

 

PWCG offers two configurations to limit direct opposition:

maximum enemy fighter flights in a fighter mission (default 3)

maximum enemy fighter flights in a non-fighter mission (default 1)

 

As you can see, if PWCG really did generate 3 fighter flights (usually it won't) and they all converged on you at the same time (usually they won't) then it's going to be a rough mission.  In no way is PWCG coded to gang up on the player, but it is also not coded to prevent it.  You could set the max fighter opposition to 1 or 2 flights to limit the worst case scenario.  PWCG will substitute other opposition (attack, bomber, even transport).

 

For other types of missions PWCG sets fighter opposition to 1 flight and always provides you with an escort to give you a good chance to reach the target.  Even then nothing is guaranteed.  You could meet an enemy ground attack mission comprised of fighters.  Stay far enough away and they will go about their business, but get close and they will attack you.  This is especially true in the west where most of the activity is carried out by fighter planes.  One time an enemy ground attack flight peeled off my escort and left my flight unescorted.  Stuff happens.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

FYI - You can control this through the max enemy flights in the advanced config menus.

 

17 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

PWCG offers two configurations to limit direct opposition:

maximum enemy fighter flights in a fighter mission (default 3)

maximum enemy fighter flights in a non-fighter mission (default 1)

Thank you sirs for your hints; definitely, I must take confidence with this new (for me) tool.

19 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

In no way is PWCG coded to gang up on the player

Good to know!🙂

20 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

but it is also not coded to prevent it

Fair...

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Varibraun said:

Yes, this is an airfield specific issue

 

Okay, thanks for that, I was not sure what to think but decided it was most likely a map issue that would need the development team to deal with and even if they acknowledge a problem it would not get fixed anytime soon.;)

 

I could cope with the leader and me having to go it alone without number three when he/she nosed over, I played a few that way, however, one mission I was up front and had to go alone as both my flight stuck their noses in the ground, I just gave up on it there and deleted. :crazy::cray:

 

Take care and be safe.

 

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Missionbug said:

 

Okay, thanks for that, I was not sure what to think but decided it was most likely a map issue that would need the development team to deal with and even if they acknowledge a problem it would not get fixed anytime soon.;)

 

I could cope with the leader and me having to go it alone without number three when he/she nosed over, I played a few that way, however, one mission I was up front and had to go alone as both my flight stuck their noses in the ground, I just gave up on it there and deleted. :crazy::cray:

 

Take care and be safe.

 

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

 

That is something I can look at.  Hurricane squadron - do you remember the date?

If it is placement on the runway I can fix it.  If the airfield just stinks I can fix that too by not using it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

That is something I can look at.  Hurricane squadron - do you remember the date?

If it is placement on the runway I can fix it.  If the airfield just stinks I can fix that too by not using it.

 

 

Hello Pat best I can do is provide this Link to the missions that are still in their folder, even though I deleted the career they are still there. ;)

 

Mediafire link:

 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9x5q5bml7y41fo0/Files+for+Pat.7z/file

 

It was the last of those missions, flown from Dyatlovo by the 157th I think.

 

Hope you can figure it out Pat, thank you very much for taking a look, really appreciated.:drinks:

 

I try not to tinker in this game, I had/have enough stress with modding the old one, so can understand how difficult it is for you to deal with this as well as real

life issues and to be honest I thought it more a map/sim issue rather than the generator, never thought about moving the airfield as I did not know just how much

your generator depends on the game code to determine those things.

 

Take care and be safe.

 

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...