This is where we will discuss PWCG for BOS

Jason_Williams

PatrickAWlson
50 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

In the advanced config there's the 'save AI from itself' setting; is it meant to prevent death from crashes/collisions in the air?

I've read the tooltip but wasn't sure. 

I ran into problems with implementation so that config is meaningless at this point.  Will revisit when I have a moment but the disappearing planes is the priority right now.

• Like 1

PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, Amir said:

the program always open with an error saying i need to set mission_text_log = 1 but i already did that. sometimes error saying that i need to install in the game root directory. i think i did that correctly

PWCGErrorLog.txt 3.06 kB · 0 downloads

If you are getting that message it generally does mean that PWCG is not in the right directory.  The PWCGBoS directory should be in your BoS game directory.

Example: my game is installed in C:\BoS

PWCG is installed in C:\BoS\PWCGBoS

My startup.cfg is in C:\BoS\data

PWCG reads ..\data\startup.cfg.  It parses the file and verifies that  mission_text_log = 1.  That has to be true to generate log files that PWCG depends on to parse logs.

Edited by PatrickAWlson

jamiegrover1973

Pat,

I came up with another problem today. Although it is not directly related to PWCG. I decided to use OTT (Oculus Tray Tool) and Open Composite (instead of Steam VR) to see if I can get any performance gain in VR. I pointed Open Composite to IL2.exe and ran it but every time the game runs, it asks for my email and password (Steam loaded these automatically). If I then go into the game PWCG missions are not in the custom missions folder (the folder is empty) and I cannot play the mission I previously generated! (although the mission generated is in the missions folder in the IL2/data/missions directory! Is there any way you can help or point me in the right direction on this.

Failing that I will have to go back to using Steam VR and play the PWCG missions that way.

Edited by jamiegrover1973

PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, jamiegrover1973 said:

Pat,

I came up with another problem today. Although it is not directly related to PWCG. I decided to use OTT (Oculus Tray Tool) and Open Composite (instead of Steam VR) to see if I can get any performance gain in VR. I pointed Open Composite to IL2.exe and ran it but every time the game runs, it asks for my email and password (Steam loaded these automatically). If I then go into the game PWCG missions are not in the custom missions folder (the folder is empty) and I cannot play the mission I previously generated! (although the mission generated is in the missions folder in the IL2/data/missions directory! Is there any way you can help or point me in the right direction on this.

Failing that I will have to go back to using Steam VR and play the PWCG missions that way.

I thought Steam VR was a requirement for GB.  I have a HP reverb and had to get a plugin to link Steam VR and WMD.  Can't help you specifically with OTT but maybe there is a similar plugin?

Sorry, maybe I'm too blind again but I have no .exe file in my just downloaded and unpacked 11.3.1. 

Edited by vonGraf

22 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

If you are getting that message it generally does mean that PWCG is not in the right directory.  The PWCGBoS directory should be in your BoS game directory.

Example: my game is installed in C:\BoS

PWCG is installed in C:\BoS\PWCGBoS

My startup.cfg is in C:\BoS\data

PWCG reads ..\data\startup.cfg.  It parses the file and verifies that  mission_text_log = 1.  That has to be true to generate log files that PWCG depends on to parse logs.

thanks a lot. how do i tell the program to put the mission report in a certain folder? currently it just put in the main file which makes it look a bit messy

On 10/20/2020 at 11:35 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Go to your intel screen and verify that enemy units are viable (not red).  If they are then some will be included in your mission.  If not take leave for a week or two (or fly attack missions) and look again.

If you are seeing no air opposition you can

1. Make the mission box smaller to compress activity

- Advanced config -> Mission Limits -> Size in km of mission box

2. reduce friendly flights in favor of enemy flights

- Advanced config -> Mission Limits -> Max Allied Flights /  Max Axis Flights

3. If you want more enemy  air activity while doing ground support missions increase max enemy fighter 

- Advanced config -> Mission Limits -> Max Fighter Flights Per Side: Ground Campaign

4. If you want more enemy  air activity while doing fighter missions missions increase max enemy fighter 

- Advanced config -> Mission Limits -> Max Fighter Flights Per Side: Fighter Campaign

Thank you for your help on this, Pat. I've flown a number of missions in SP since I incorporated your suggestions (mostly as AAF on BOBp map).

It appears that reducing the mission box from 60km down to 50km has had the desired effect of dramatically increasing the likelihood of enemy contact in the air. Reducing the box to 40km didn't seem to increase the likelihood further (when compared to the 50km box).

The remaining suggestions likely also increased the probability of encountering enemy aircraft but not to the same extent as reducing the size of the mission box.

Clearly this is not a statistically robust experiment, but i wanted to thank you for your recommendations.

• Upvote 1

2dLt_Schonfeld

Hi Pat or someone, is there a way to know when skin pack are updated. I already downloaded the last huge update, which is awesome but i am afraid of missing something in the future.

PatrickAWlson
9 minutes ago, 2dLt_Schonfeld said:

Hi Pat or someone, is there a way to know when skin pack are updated. I already downloaded the last huge update, which is awesome but i am afraid of missing something in the future.

I will post that in the release notes.  I do not update or add to the skin packs.  I only add new ones, so once you download them you do not have to worry about changes.

• Like 1

I have a question;  yesterday  I got a really interesting looking ground attack mission generated (11.4) on the Moscow map for my 109 fighter career. But the attack point was located inside the 'unflyable zone', so I had to enable a mod first to be able to reach this point at all. (And found out that the mod is partly broken and gives vou hovering street/railway textures and needs an update, how it seems.)

Of course I could have scrubbed the mission too but this was a really exciting sortie deep in hostile territory and I'm glad I didn't.

Everything else went very well and I had a lot of action that day.

Is it possible to prevent PWCG from placing the taget point too close or even into this zone?

PatrickAWlson
18 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

I have a question;  yesterday  I got a really interesting looking ground attack mission generated (11.4) on the Moscow map for my 109 fighter career. But the attack point was located inside the 'unflyable zone', so I had to enable a mod first to be able to reach this point at all. (And found out that the mod is partly broken and gives vou hovering street/railway textures and needs an update, how it seems.)

Of course I could have scrubbed the mission too but this was a really exciting sortie deep in hostile territory and I'm glad I didn't.

Everything else went very well and I had a lot of action that day.

Is it possible to prevent PWCG from placing the taget point too close or even into this zone?

It's software, so of course it's possible :) .  It is also a good idea.  How easy or difficult - I have to dig into the code in that area,

Anyhow, at the moment PWCG defines the map as being within a certain area, defined by the full map.  I should have a separate concept of playable area.  This would put mission boxes inside the border of the playable area and prevent situations where things are either in the red area of Moscow or right on the edge of the map in any other map.  

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

It's software, so of course it's possible :) .  It is also a good idea.  How easy or difficult - I have to dig into the code in that area,

Anyhow, at the moment PWCG defines the map as being within a certain area, defined by the full map.  I should have a separate concept of playable area.  This would put mission boxes inside the border of the playable area and prevent situations where things are either in the red area of Moscow or right on the edge of the map in any other map.  

Ok, I understand; from the principle that's what I thought too.

Until now it was the first time I had a target so far east on this map and campaign and got this issue. In the standard career I had two/or three 'free hunt' missions as wingman which got 'difficult' because of that, especiall as a noob.

I've asked because I want to try a bomber campaign there in the future but that has still time for me.

Two questions, please.

Are the aces maybe kind of invincible or better said immune against crashes and captivity? I had this with Gerhard Barkhorn today who had an accident behind enemy lines but was on the roster again the next day.

And I had in three patrol missions (where the flightpath is in a hexagonal shape) the speed set to 230 km/h on the 'patrol' waypoints. Is this ok? The flights went without problems, perhaps it's meant this way, so I didn't post it in the issue thread.

Had a lot of fun playing 11.4.3 today. 👍

PatrickAWlson
5 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

Two questions, please.

Are the aces maybe kind of invincible or better said immune against crashes and captivity? I had this with Gerhard Barkhorn today who had an accident behind enemy lines but was on the roster again the next day.

And I had in three patrol missions (where the flightpath is in a hexagonal shape) the speed set to 230 km/h on the 'patrol' waypoints. Is this ok? The flights went without problems, perhaps it's meant this way, so I didn't post it in the issue thread.

Had a lot of fun playing 11.4.3 today. 👍

They are immune to wounds. They can die prematurely.  Not so sure about capture: every pilot can evade capture based on how deep they are shot down.  Not sure if I cut aces more slack.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Not so sure about capture: every pilot can evade capture based on how deep they are shot down.  Not sure if I cut aces more slack.

Based on my recent experience flying with Dimtry Glinka of the 45th Guards, I suspect you did on capture too.  I can at least attest that he definitely went to the Hans-Ulrich Rudel school of evasion and escape.  (Not a complaint, I definitely enjoy having the historical aces around while still being at least somewhat mortal).

Edited by Varibraun

Also just as a suggestion, would it be possible to make a 1941 Channel scenario using Kuban as a stand-in? Vander has done that with EMG using the Hurri, Spit Vb and P-40 for the allies, and 109E-7, 109F-2, 190A3 and 110E-2 for the Axis. Would work until the Normandy map is released in the future!

PatrickAWlson
2 hours ago, co199 said:

Also just as a suggestion, would it be possible to make a 1941 Channel scenario using Kuban as a stand-in? Vander has done that with EMG using the Hurri, Spit Vb and P-40 for the allies, and 109E-7, 109F-2, 190A3 and 110E-2 for the Axis. Would work until the Normandy map is released in the future!

Normandy is coming and I will do it then

• Upvote 3

Hello 

I have 7 campaigns opened in PWCG 11.6.0. One of them, a german one, has allowed me to find out settings fitting to the way I want to play as single player according to the power of my PC tower. Question In C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\PWCGBoS\User\Campaigns\Schnaps First (name of my campaign)\config...is it possible to copy and paste both files "configSetFighterMission.json" and "ConfigSetMissionLimits.json" to all config of other campaigns opened in PWCG 11.6.0 without doing it manually.

Thanks for answer.

PatrickAWlson
5 hours ago, Azdack said:

Hello 

I have 7 campaigns opened in PWCG 11.6.0. One of them, a german one, has allowed me to find out settings fitting to the way I want to play as single player according to the power of my PC tower. Question In C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\PWCGBoS\User\Campaigns\Schnaps First (name of my campaign)\config...is it possible to copy and paste both files "configSetFighterMission.json" and "ConfigSetMissionLimits.json" to all config of other campaigns opened in PWCG 11.6.0 without doing it manually.

Thanks for answer.

Sure.  If you copy it to the next campaign then that campaign will pick up the settings.  Copy it before you open PWCG.

Hello! I have heard great things about this!

Will give it a try in single player and hopefully try a co-op campaign with a small group of friends later. Thanks!

PatrickAWlson
3 minutes ago, Firesilver said:

Hello! I have heard great things about this!

Will give it a try in single player and hopefully try a co-op campaign with a small group of friends later. Thanks!

If you need a hand with anything just ask

Possible bug report:

Playing as the Germans, I noticed the last 2 times I got injured, 1 for 2 mnths, and another for 15 days, I never got wound badges.

Is it because I have the max pilot injury as severe?  I still think you should get wound badges for casual players?

PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, ual002 said:

Possible bug report:

Playing as the Germans, I noticed the last 2 times I got injured, 1 for 2 mnths, and another for 15 days, I never got wound badges.

Is it because I have the max pilot injury as severe?  I still think you should get wound badges for casual players?

Can you do an error zip?  If you still have the mission results and the campaign I should be able to recreate the problem.

Is it possible the decoration is being awarded to the wrong pilot.  I just hard crashed an Il2 on my first mission and the only other pilot in my flight got the wound stripe, I dont think he went down.

Hello 

I like scramble missions with enemy planes coming but since a few of them I have no enemies planes in the sky at all each scramble mission. Anybody else with this issue?

Joined errortext log if it can help.

Thanks for answers

PWCGErrorLog.txt

entropyembrace
On 6/11/2020 at 6:13 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

It's already there.  Night witch squadron I think in the Stalingrad time frame (August 1942).  I forget exactly which regiment but if you choose an attack squadron on campaign creation, pilot creation, or transfer it will be one of those.  You should see it within 30 seconds as you cycle through available squadrons.  They fly until the end of the war.  Night missions.

I just started working on female pilots in PWCG.  Russia only.  I was going to do odds of having a female pilot as a squadron parameter.  Night witches will be 100% while others will be about 3%.  Not there yet but the design is in place.  After the next update only the PO2 will show a female pilot in the cockpit (I asked) but women will be represented in all Soviet squadrons at a 3% rate ... is 3% too high?  Probably.  I get the impression that female pilots in most combat units were a bit like unicorns.

@Murleen did that.

There were two more women's only regiments that I know of:

586th Fighter Aviation Regiment flying Yaks

125th Guards Bomber Aviation Regiment flying Pe-2's

A lot of the portraits PWCG uses for female pilots were 125th pilots.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:36 PM, Azdack said:

Hello 

I like scramble missions with enemy planes coming but since a few of them I have no enemies planes in the sky at all each scramble mission. Anybody else with this issue?

Joined errortext log if it can help.

Thanks for answers

PWCGErrorLog.txt 2.59 kB · 0 downloads

I had only a few 'scramble' missions until now and I couldn't find an enemy either. Because it happened just four times in ca. 100 fighter missions I'm ok with that.

Edited by vonGraf

A question about representing repair times for significant damage: 

It seems a bit silly that a whole flight can get shot up on a mission but, if they all make it back safely, every airframe is ready, shiny and new, for the next day's mission.  I don't expect the sim provides the means to track damage whereby appropriate "repair" times could be simulated, but perhaps it could be tracked by injuries and forced landings.  For example, if a pilot is injured on a mission his aircraft is then unavailable for a number of days to represent repair work being done to bring it back into airworthiness.  Perhaps a random number dependent upon the severity of wounds and/or whether a forced landing at the airfield occurred.  Again, I have no idea whether the tools are present in the sim and mission logs for this to be done, but it would add an extra layer of challenge where missions causing the squadron to sustain a lot of damage result in fewer aircraft available for a day or two, even giving the player a slight temporary advantage if he is able to inflict some punishment yet without being able to knock an aircraft down.  By the same token, the player is punished for his flight consistently taking damage resulting in smaller numbers available for subsequent missions.

As always, I'm grateful for the work you're doing.  I don't want to distract from everything else you have going on, but it was just an idea that popped into my head this morning.  Thanks again!

Hello all,

I finally figured out how to use PWCG properly and it was really fun untill I ran into a slowdown (the game went into slowmotion but fps stayed above 80). After some research I found out that my CPU is the bottleneck. I put all density settings and CPU allowance on low and it is still there. Does this mean I should stop using PWCG because my system is insufficient? My CPU is an i7 4770. I really hope I can get it to work.

Cheers, 

Harro

PatrickAWlson
2 hours ago, HarroG said:

Hello all,

I finally figured out how to use PWCG properly and it was really fun untill I ran into a slowdown (the game went into slowmotion but fps stayed above 80). After some research I found out that my CPU is the bottleneck. I put all density settings and CPU allowance on low and it is still there. Does this mean I should stop using PWCG because my system is insufficient? My CPU is an i7 4770. I really hope I can get it to work.

Cheers, 

Harro

Next suggestion is playing with number of flights in advanced configurations. 

Reduce Friendly Flights

My first suggestion would reduce friendly flights to 1 or even 0.

Campaign -> Configuration -> Advanced Config -> Mission Limits -> Max Allied Flights

or

Campaign -> Configuration -> Advanced Config -> Mission Limits -> Max Axis Flights

depending on which side you are flying for.  Reducing friendly flights eliminates the resource drain while you still have opposition.  

Eliminate Virtual Escorts

Campaign -> Configuration -> Advanced Config -> Mission Limits -> Max Virtual Escorts

Set to zero

Reduce Ambient Ground Units

Campaign -> Configuration -> Advanced Config -> Mission Limits -> Create Random Ground Units In MIssion

Campaign -> Configuration -> Advanced Config -> Mission Limits -> Use Airfield MGs

Set both to zero (zero means false in this case)

Reduce Smoke

Campaign -> Configuration -> Advanced Config -> Mission Limits -> Maximum Amount of Smoke In the Area

Campaign -> Configuration -> Advanced Config -> Mission Limits -> Maximum Amount of Smoke In a Mission

Set these to zero

These will get rid of a lot of atmospherics but still keep enemy planes in the air,

Edited by PatrickAWlson

Anybody know why missions are not being created with the new updates? Not showing up in the game files.

Updated Java, still no mission showing.

Edited by CDRSEABEE

PatrickAWlson
14 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Anybody know why missions are not being created with the new updates? Not showing up in the game files.

Updated Java, still no mission showing.

In the PWCG folder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

In the PWCG folder

Im sorry I dont understand what you are telling me. What I am trying to say is the missions are not showing up in game under missions nor are they in the mission folder.

They use to show up under missions in game.

9 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

They use to show up under missions in game.

These should be a "PWCG" subfolder in the Game Missions Menu.  This is where the generated missions go in game now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Varibraun said:

These should be a "PWCG" subfolder in the Game Missions Menu.  This is where the generated missions go in game now.

Ok thanks. How do I launch them in game if they don't show up in missions? Is there a folder in the game too? I didn't notice. 

Edited by CDRSEABEE

Yes, your Game Missions Menu should have a "PWCG" subfolder.  The mission that PWCG generates should be located in that subfolder.  

• Like 1