Jump to content

This is where we will discuss PWCG for BOS


Jason_Williams
 Share

Recommended Posts

PatrickAWlson

Big change coming to PWCG coop. 

 

There will no longer be a competitive and cooperative mode.  There is now only coop, and coop supports everything all the time.  Everybody in one squadron, everybody on the same side, everybody on different sides - doesn't matter.

 

To explain this I first have to explain why they were separate in the first place.  Short answer is design limitations.  PWCG was always single player and some things just could not support everything goes.  Those limitations were not ideal and drew complaints.  Over time those limitations were knocked away.  When I was looking at the latest round of requests one was a bug report that the mission descriptions were not available for every squadron.  Not a bug - designed that way.  When I looked into how to address this I realized that I was in a position to eliminate the distinction entirely.  So, coop players, when PWCG 8.8 is released you will be able to do everything however you want and don't worry about what kind of coop campaign you have.

 

Notable changes:

Campaign management: No more restrictions on who you add or where they go.

 

Mission Briefing: I moved the squadron selector from the top to a set of radio buttons on the lower left.    These radio buttons are available and working on all three briefing screens (Mission description, Waypoint editing on the map, pilot selection).  When you change the squadron the selection carries across the briefing screens.  

 

AAR: cooperative coop used the PWCG claims system where competitive used logs only.  There are not two debrief options: "Continue With Claims" and "Continue Without Claims".  This will allow you to use the claims system (highly recommended) or, if you don't feel like collecting claims from the participants you can just go ahead and use the raw logs ... be warned that the logs frequently do not apply victories.  You can choose whichever you want at the moment of AAR entry.

 

One potential issue: for competitive coop it is possible for the campaign host (the guy who make the missions) to look at enemy missions.  If you are friends and trust each other, no worries.  If that does become an issue I can make changes no not allow switching to enemy squadrons.  Little note: it's not that much of an advantage.  The guy making the mission can always look at it in the ME as well and get the same info, so you had better trust him to some degree.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[808_BOB]_Dafak-man

Sounds like a lot of work Patt. Hopefully it all goes well and it doesn't break the software too much. Best of luck.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, is there any way to play RAF in other map than bondenplate? i only have  battle of stalingrad, moscow and kuban as well the spitfire mkvb. Thanks a lot love this campaign generator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I simply don't understand why ALL my missions fail. Even if all return to base, after completing a successful patrol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
On 5/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, SAxEviL said:

Hi, is there any way to play RAF in other map than bondenplate? i only have  battle of stalingrad, moscow and kuban as well the spitfire mkvb. Thanks a lot love this campaign generator

 

No.  Bodenplatte is the only map with western allies available.  

3 hours ago, Toriatrix said:

I simply don't understand why ALL my missions fail. Even if all return to base, after completing a successful patrol. 

TBH neither do I.  I put in code that says your only mission criteria for success is to not be killed.  Somehow the game is making up its own mind.  Fact is that stuff changes in the game and I have to react to it.  This is one of those things and I have not yet got to it.

 

For what it's worth PWCG does not care at all what the game says about mission success or not.  It makes up its own mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

TBH neither do I.  I put in code that says your only mission criteria for success is to not be killed.  Somehow the game is making up its own mind.  Fact is that stuff changes in the game and I have to react to it.  This is one of those things and I have not yet got to it.

 

For what it's worth PWCG does not care at all what the game says about mission success or not.  It makes up its own mind.

Thank you for that clarification. Last time i mentioned this somone said they do not allways get a failure. So i concluded that it was something wrong with MY game or setup in some way.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, Toriatrix said:

Thank you for that clarification. Last time i mentioned this somone said they do not allways get a failure. So i concluded that it was something wrong with MY game or setup in some way.

 

 

I might not be paying attention to it but I don't think I get a failure every time.  I know I frequently get a failure when I stop a mission in the air,  Anyhow, PWCG doesn't care and yes, I have to do something - what I am not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

=FI=Bluebell

Hi Pat, My Squad fly your PWCG coops and enjoy them immensely, having said that, one question - is there a way to generate more than one mission at a time thereby reducing the time between the missions. From what I understand, you fly a mission then report it and then create another.

Being able to have them created beforehand would help.

 

 

Bluebell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[808_BOB]_Dafak-man
18 minutes ago, =FI=Bluebell said:

Hi Pat, My Squad fly your PWCG coops and enjoy them immensely, having said that, one question - is there a way to generate more than one mission at a time thereby reducing the time between the missions. From what I understand, you fly a mission then report it and then create another.

Being able to have them created beforehand would help.

 

 

Bluebell.

Maybe renaming the mission after creating it should work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, =FI=Bluebell said:

Hi Pat, My Squad fly your PWCG coops and enjoy them immensely, having said that, one question - is there a way to generate more than one mission at a time thereby reducing the time between the missions. From what I understand, you fly a mission then report it and then create another.

Being able to have them created beforehand would help.

 

 

Bluebell.

 

It won't work.  PWCG counts on the cycle of create mission/fly/combat report. The combat report is far, far more than just submitting a report and getting victories.  That is where the earth turns and a new day dawns,  Pilots change, they die, stuff happens, etc.

 

We're flying with Johnny today.  Umm sir, he was killed yesterday.  Well, he'll just have to tough it out.  The mission has already been planned.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

=FI=Bluebell

Pat,

      Thanks for answering, figured that might be the case. The guys will just have to have some patience.

 

 

 

Bluebell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
29 minutes ago, =FI=Bluebell said:

Pat,

      Thanks for answering, figured that might be the case. The guys will just have to have some patience.

 

 

 

Bluebell.

 

It should take less than 10 minutes - hopefully only around 5 - to get the next mission built and running.  Sounds like a great opportunity to get a beer from the fridge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Guest deleted@210880

Hi, what is the intended resolution/aspect ratio for the generator please? I changed it and can't seem to get it back so things aren't stretched at all.

 

Saying that I seem to recall at least one image being stretched anyway, (it's like nails down a blackboard for me when I see an image that is squashed/stretched), is there anyway you can lock the image proportions in how you build it?

 

Thanks for everything regardless.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest deleted@210880

Thanks, yes I changed it there, but it looked a bit funny so wanted to change it back to the default. I'll take another look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, John_Yossarian said:

Thanks, yes I changed it there, but it looked a bit funny so wanted to change it back to the default. I'll take another look.

 

There is no default.  It normally sizes itself to your screen while taking 40 pixels off the bottom so the task bar is still visible.  So default is really  "Let PWCG Auto Size" = 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest deleted@210880
8 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

There is no default.  It normally sizes itself to your screen while taking 40 pixels off the bottom so the task bar is still visible.  So default is really  "Let PWCG Auto Size" = 1

 

Ah, I see, thank you.


Incidentally it is fantastic that users can change the font, 'little' thinks like this make software so much more user friendly on the eye, allowing for personal preferences to be satisfied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest deleted@210880

@PatrickAWlson

 

I also tried to send you a PM, I'm guessing your mailbox is full, if you have a moment could you send me a PM and I'll reply to that with my query.

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Saw the first time today that PWCG differs between air victories achieved by the pilot and the ones by the rear gunner when you fly a Bf-110, that's really cool. And I had two Pe-2 chasing me aggressively, this was new to me too in this game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
4 hours ago, Almenas said:

Hi Pat,

out of sheer curiosity, do you have plans to add the U-2VS?

 

It's already there.  Night witch squadron I think in the Stalingrad time frame (August 1942).  I forget exactly which regiment but if you choose an attack squadron on campaign creation, pilot creation, or transfer it will be one of those.  You should see it within 30 seconds as you cycle through available squadrons.  They fly until the end of the war.  Night missions.

 

I just started working on female pilots in PWCG.  Russia only.  I was going to do odds of having a female pilot as a squadron parameter.  Night witches will be 100% while others will be about 3%.  Not there yet but the design is in place.  After the next update only the PO2 will show a female pilot in the cockpit (I asked) but women will be represented in all Soviet squadrons at a 3% rate ... is 3% too high?  Probably.  I get the impression that female pilots in most combat units were a bit like unicorns.

On 6/7/2020 at 11:23 PM, vonGraf said:

Saw the first time today that PWCG differs between air victories achieved by the pilot and the ones by the rear gunner when you fly a Bf-110, that's really cool. And I had two Pe-2 chasing me aggressively, this was new to me too in this game.

@Murleen did that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

It's already there.  Night witch squadron I think in the Stalingrad time frame (August 1942).  I forget exactly which regiment but if you choose an attack squadron on campaign creation, pilot creation, or transfer it will be one of those. 


That would the the 588th Night Bomber Regiment (588 NBAP). IDK if this is modelled in PWCG, but IRL it was renamed the 46th Taman Guards Night Bomber Regiment in February 1943.

Edited by [Pb]Cybermat47
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
9 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:


That would the the 588th Night Bomber Regiment (588 NBAP). IDK if this is modelled in PWCG, but IRL it was renamed the 46th Taman Guards Night Bomber Regiment in February 1943.

It is the 588th and it is in PWCG.  Working on female pilots right now.  Mostly done.  Also noted an issue with the 588th where it generated a daytime mission.  Will look into that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

It's already there.  Night witch squadron I think in the Stalingrad time frame (August 1942).  I forget exactly which regiment but if you choose an attack squadron on campaign creation, pilot creation, or transfer it will be one of those.  You should see it within 30 seconds as you cycle through available squadrons.  They fly until the end of the war.  Night missions.

Great, didn´t know it. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it intended that my AI comrades keep strictly radio silence when they see an enemy far away but are already breaking away to approach him? Or is it a AI thing of the game in general?

Damn difficult at times to follow your flight when you're not really sure what they're doing.. but I'm still learning. :salute:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

J5_NiiranenVR-Gfr
19 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

radio silence

Not often I play with AI - but when I do I allso miss the command : Return to base 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
7 hours ago, vonGraf said:

Is it intended that my AI comrades keep strictly radio silence when they see an enemy far away but are already breaking away to approach him? Or is it a AI thing of the game in general?

Damn difficult at times to follow your flight when you're not really sure what they're doing.. but I'm still learning. :salute:

 

I am not aware of any mission constructs that determine radio communications.  So AI ... unless somebody can tell me I'm wrong in which case I would be happy to improve mission creation.  And yes, the last two times I have been hit it was unexpected.  Certainly in one case the AI could have been aware.    "Break right" would have been nice.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well with my company here I did manage a little free time today to get one mission in.

I elected to fly the P-51 for the first time.  I added it to my current Spit MK IX Campaign in Bodenplatte.

 

It was a high altitude long patrol, I was the 4th in the group. We did not run across any enemy AI on the way there or at the patrol area, however on the long way

home I found a flight of four 190's down below. So I peeled off and began to descend to get to them. To my dismay my flight leader and other wingmen did not

follow suit but continued on their way home. Great, me with my first flight in this P-51 up against four 190's. I am thinking this ain't gonna end

well for me but what the hell.

 

One of the 190's peeled off left while the other three peeled off to the right. So I kick it and give chase to the single one that went left.

As I had good height advantage I was able to quickly catch up and surprisingly blew him away in short order. So I turn and fly around in circle, then look 

at the large map, dang if those other three had already high tailed it outa there. Yeah, probably smart thing there!! LOL. Got back to base safely and whilst not

picture perfect did manage a decent landing on my first attempt with this P-51. 

 

Hope I can get another one in soon, got to entertain the company though augh...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
1./JG42Nephris

Is there a way to increase the "ground war" beside the variables the advanced config?

 

Basically our team likes the missions generated by pwcg, however the ground war could be expanded for ground hogs.

Is there a way already now or future plans to

- increase ground activities , like moving columns etc

- to make columns keep on road and not let it drive into water/forrest? Maybe with predefined coordinates for start and end waypoints ?

 

 

Thx and greetz

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
26 minutes ago, 1./JG42Nephris said:

Is there a way to increase the "ground war" beside the variables the advanced config?

 

Basically our team likes the missions generated by pwcg, however the ground war could be expanded for ground hogs.

Is there a way already now or future plans to

- increase ground activities , like moving columns etc

- to make columns keep on road and not let it drive into water/forrest? Maybe with predefined coordinates for start and end waypoints ?

 

 

Thx and greetz

 

 

 

 

Go to simple configs and set ground activity to high.  Ground activity and AA are responsive to simple config settings.  Any ground activity beyond that is not feasible.  In fact, the ground activity generated by high blows right through the guidelines for maximum units but I let people do it anyway.  As 1C improves the game, especially around performance, then more activity will be possible.

 

Fact is that PWCG can create battles with hundreds of units, no problem.  The game would curl up in a corner and suck its thumb if I did that.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
PatrickAWlson
1 hour ago, Wulfkai said:

When flying a bomber and my Gunner shoots Down a plane, is that considered a victory i Can claim?

 

Yes

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest deleted@210880

Something I wish the in-game career could do but I wonder if you are able to: Repeat target missions.

 

What I mean is if a mission is generated to destroy a bridge, is it possible to store the target type and location and quietly flag the result as a success or not, then, when the next mission is generated if it wasn't destroyed you are sent back to the same target. So same target but different time of day/ or next day entirely, different escort or not, enemy flights etc.

 

Even if it had been destroyed it would be interesting to have 'the enemy have rebuilt the bridge at X, destroy it again' in the briefing, this rebuilt option would probably mean carrying the target info quietly for a bit, maybe a week of game time and then generating the mission with this target. I don't mean clogging up PWCG with storing all results, but just the ability to carry one or two key targets that can be re-visited and PWCG has a datestamp and whether destroyed flag for them.

 

It seems a fair bit I've read from pilot accounts in WWII is about going back to the same darn target again and again and they get familiar with it to an extent, it would be nice to be able to represent this a bit in a career.

 

Repeat targets may happen a bit already just through mission generation, but if the briefing could tie in to the repetition in some way, just sometimes, it would be cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

 

Yes

Perfect, and thank you for making my IL2 fantastic on a whole new level!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pat do you see any chance to modify the rate of reinforcements of enemy squadrons? I have begun a Tempest career, and after relatively short time all enemy squadrons were wiped out. i left for 3 month and only a third of them were replentished. Several other careers developed quite similar after some time.
This results in leaving more than half of the time of the campaign, and even then i have to hope for enemy contacts because they are so rare. I know i could make additional pilots, even on enemy side, but honestly that´s not what i want.

Sadly i have to go back to built in career mode for now, at least there i have enemies to fight. I really hope you can fix this somehow, maybe a factor in settings or something similar, because other than that i really enjoy PWCG.

 

BR

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...