This is where we will discuss PWCG for BOS

Jason_Williams

3 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

3b. All aerial victories should be displayed and not just one page.  I am not aware of any issues regarding that but I can take a look.

It looks like the pages are too small for the text. I have two air victories missing on page 1 and the next air victories are on page 2.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:24 PM, Bill_Bates said:

2) Again not sure if this is due to early campaign conditions or not but my squadron has practically no victories yet most of them have over 20 sorties. this looks a bit silly as here I am a "new guy" with more victories both air and ground than any1 in the squadron. not only this but my major and highest ranking pilot in the squadron is a novice skill level, in fact everyone in my squadron is a novice. so I guess my question here is, is this intended? I'm flying for the 126th p-40s. if this is intended due to early campaign conditions but it looks like a bug and kind of breaks the immersion.

Bill - FWIW, personally I find flying the early VVS squadrons in PWCG interesting/challenging, especially starting with the P-40.  As Patrick indicated, I believe PWCG assigns most of the early Soviet squadrons novice status reflecting the advantage the more experienced Luftwaffe had at that early point of the eastern front war.  Therefore, as you stick with your squadron you can actually help them gain experience by protecting them, plus you can even decline some of your own kills and those will usually then be assigned to a squadron mate.  If they pick up 5 kills, they will pick up Ace level AI skill. 

If you are playing iron man (you have to assign that in the campaign settings), you can still follow your squadron through the war since PWCG allows you to assign a new pilot to that campaign/squadron building on your work with those AI mates.  For example, right now, my early war BoM VVS squadron has progressed to flying Yak-1/Yak-7 in BoS.  I am on my 7th pilot with the squadron (I know that because I name them alphabetically), and 2 of my previous deceased pilots hold the #1 & #2 position on the aces board.   The current sqdrn commander is an ace level AI Kaptain I helped advance from a novice Szt with my now deceased pilots.  I can actually follow his advance through the logs/journals - (I am sure Patrick will have the Squadron Log functioning again when he works through the kinks of 8.0). 

Hopefully, my current pilot (SLt) will survive and advance to Maj to command the squadron as we move toward BoK.  But, it is a tough slog for VVS squadrons, especially as the AI improves and the LW AI pilots fight in the vertical - as they should.   Losing your hard earned ace AI mates hurts and working with them to protect the novice rookies adds a different level of immersion for me as a SP.  Following the squadron history can also be pretty sobering. 

Anyway, for me, part of the beauty of what Patrick has created is exactly what you describe with the novice 1941 VVS 126th.  He has given us the ability to have a Squadron simulation - not just a pilot career.  So, I actually find that more immersive.      

Edited by Varibraun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it would be technically feasible, but could additional information about other flights and missions be included in the briefings. One does feel somewhat alone in the sequence of missions.

PatrickAWlson
19 hours ago, Almenas said:

I don't know if it would be technically feasible, but could additional information about other flights and missions be included in the briefings. One does feel somewhat alone in the sequence of missions.

It could be done.  I already have a debug mode that shows the path of every flight on the map. One aspect that might be challenging: PWCG creates a flight for every squadron that can fly - far too many to actually be included in the mission.  It only winnows it down after you accept the mission.  There are complexities around that.  I can do something that might end up not being 100% accurate, which might be more interesting than perfect information.  

9 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I can do something that might end up not being 100% accurate, which might be more interesting than perfect information.

I'm not sure perfect information actually existed back in WWI/WWII so I think it would be the realistic route, to be honest.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

I would like to add to my last post:
if it's too boring during your PWCG break: How about becoming part of a larger operation from time to time in the briefing. There are an enormous number of activities that could be coordinated: e.g. wave 1 does this and wave 2 does that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat,
had a long dogfight over my own field and no help from below. Would it be possible to install an alarm start for support in such a case?

1./JG42Nephris

As PWCG supports Coop gameplay, has someone been abe to prsent the results as a html export`?

Some players are interesred in checking their stats of course in a running campaign online.

Maybe someone with html/java knowledge was already able to convert the stats from the PWCG to html?

Has anyone expirience with Logbook for this case?

Edited by 1./JG42Nephris

Hi Guys,

First of all thanks Patrick for your awesome program and for your support. I'm enjoying it a lot.

I've noticed lately that I'm running into the "slow motion" issue while playing missions. I've set both the ground and air density to high.

Now surprisingly my computer isn't running into the 100% on CPU or GPU. My CPU is only at 30% ish. Is this due to single core usage?

The amount of planes is around 20 when it starts happening.

CPU: i7 8700 @3.20 ghz

GPU: GTX1060 6gb

16GB RAM

216th_Nocke

Similar here. I am running Coops on the dserver and get the slow motion from time to time. To my surprise the Simulations per second (SPS) stay above 50, and the tick around 15 when that happens. It is different to when the server is obviously overloaded and planes start jumping and lagging around, with sps going down and tick delay going up.

But I suppose thats more a question to the devs than for our highly estimated PatrickWilson?

PatrickAWlson

Unfortunately what happens in game is a black box to me.  PWCG on high air high ground is blasting through every mission limit there is.  The mission limits are IMHO artificially low and a good rig can handle much more, so PWCG takes advantage of that, however, there will be a point where it breaks down.

If I was coding the actual game it would still be a tough problem to crack.  Usually you never do get infinite capacity, you just keep hammering on performance to make whatever gains are possible.   It might be of some value to the devs to have one of these missions.  Post in the bugs section and say this causes the system to fold up.  It's not a bug as the devs never said it would work under that load, but have a stress test case can often be valuable.

I just flew a single player mission and had some strange things occuring.

Stationed at Melsbroek with 362nd Fighter Group Low-Alt-Intercept around Geel / Turnhout.

Came across 2 FW190 and managed 1 Kill

Spoiler

On 16/09/1944 near Lommel.
A Fw 190 A-8 of I./JG1 was brought down by 2nd Lt Torsten Brandt of 362nd Fighter Group.
Maj Simon Ruhle was killed in action
2nd Lt Torsten Brandt was flying a P-51D-15.

the second one got showed down too (see the name of the pilot!)

Spoiler

On 16/09/1944 near Lommel.
A Fw 190 A-5 of I./JG6 was brought down by 2nd Lt Torsten Brandt of 362nd Fighter Group.
Ltn Sven Lux was lightly wounded
2nd Lt Torsten Brandt was flying a P-51D-15.

Ran out of ammo and we got intercepted by 5 FW190 or so - so decision was fast and low try to outrun them while trying get back to base.

First strange behaviour: I tried to plan my route back as best as possible to get as close as I could towards own airfields or cities because help from own AA would be welcome. I flew from Geel over Diest towards Leuven than to Melsbroek/Brussels - and no friendly AA fire tried to intercept the incoming enemy planes (as said around 5 to 6)

I circled over Brussels for a while to get the enemy within the range of AA but I think AA was sleeping? ;) So first glitch: No AA firing at enemy planes whatsoever or at leats way less than anticipated.

And now it's very strange because one of the planes chasing me the whole time had a really tough guy as pilot: Ltn Sven Lux who was lightly wounded 5-10min before was already chasing for Yankees, what a hero! ;) 

Spoiler

town_eu_lrg_object_08[39824,10] damaged by Ltn Sven Lux

I don't know what files do you need so I'll attach the Combat Report and the mission itself.

Both things are no gamebrakers but a little bit of AA help around cities or airfields would be really nice.

Cheers and thanks for this outstanding work with PWCG

19440908.CombatReport.rar Missions 1944-09-15.rar

8 minutes ago, Murleen said:

I was flying a mission around Deurne airfield yesterday, and did see AA fire - what's your ground density set to?

Ground density medium.

I see AA fire but more towards the frontline. Yesterday after I landed I switched via Ctrl-F2 towards the BF109 which was circling over my airfield and nothing shot at it. On it's way home when reaching cities there was AA fire (mainly those small black puffing clouds) but it was ineffective.

It just happened the second time that I flew back to base and german planes were incoming around Melsbroek and i had no AA fire from the airfield itself or the surrounding area. Makes it tough to land while enemy fighters are chasing me and nobody takes charge of them. Specially the area east of Brussel should have a good amount of AA. The city itself, 2 airfields next to eachother... or do I just anticipate things that wouldn't be there anyway?

29 минут назад, Murleen сказал:

Вчера я летал на аэродроме Дёрн, и видел огонь АА - какова ваша плотность земли?

Is it possible to add anti-aircraft guns to airfields? Now in the game cities, bridges, troops are protected, but not airfields. Aircraft on take-off and especially on landing are the easiest target. But in a real war, airfields defended very well.
Here is an excerpt from the memoirs of military pilot Golodnikov ( http://www.airforce.ru/history/ww2/golodnikov/part4.htm ) : "The airfield was usually covered by 5-6 batteries of 20 mm and 37 mm guns. They were used to cover the landing and take-off of aircraft, as well as to repel a raid enemy aircraft. "
If, for technical reasons, it is difficult to defend the airfield with 5-6 anti-aircraft guns, then put at least 1-2, but with maximum firing accuracy, this will give realism to the game.

• Upvote 1

Hello guys ;)...can i continue an old campaign with the new version ?... and if so
which files should I keep in order to continue my campaign in version 8.7.2...?...Thanks

PatrickAWlson
57 minutes ago, Swing said:

Hello guys ;)...can i continue an old campaign with the new version ?... and if so
which files should I keep in order to continue my campaign in version 8.7.2...?...Thanks

Keep the PWCGCampaign\Campaigns directory.  If you fly coop also keep the PWCG\Coop directory.

• Thanks 1

Two missions with Bristols in row that didn't get the loadout what was said in PWCG. First attack run without bombs and then airpatrol without extra Lewis machinegun.

I thought this got fixed. Did I update PWCG wrong? I just uzipped the files in 8.7.2 and overwrited the previous version files (8.7.0).

1 hour ago, Kur12 said:

but with maximum firing accuracy, this will give realism to the game

I think the problem is that this solution is too tough on the opposition, and maybe not realistic either as long as the enemy AI insists on following you back to your AF (which I don't think is in PWCG's control).  I think the max accuracy AA would slaughter the pursuing AI and therefore would rather see it engage with AA settings like it does around the front. 

So, I guess until the BoX AI is adjusted to turn back home at a certain point (or to avoid heavy AA), personally, I would rather keep up the drama of a fast break landing with a quick exit than to be able to lure the AI into a certain demise.  Now, my ground crew might not agree as they replace all the broken flaps, landing gear, and occasional full tail section that my current "escape strategy" leaves on the runway.

1 hour ago, Varibraun said:

I would rather keep up the drama of a fast break landing with a quick exit than to be able to lure the AI into a certain demise.  Now, my ground crew might not agree as they replace all the broken flaps, landing gear, and occasional full tail section that my current "escape strategy" leaves on the runway.

Why break landing? I often do fast landings with very low approach with Migs behind me, without damaging my aircraft. The additional satisfaction, when the Mig pilot tries to kill me on the ground and nails his crate to the ground, is worth everything, anyway.;)

LOL...because you are a better pilot than me!  Fast landings have me bouncing 50 feet into the air and then nosing back in - and I know my pursuers are simply laughing all the way back to base. 

That said, maybe some additional practice is in order...where is @Requiem when you need him.  Thanks Yogi! :salute: 

3 hours ago, Kur12 said:

Is it possible to add anti-aircraft guns to airfields? Now in the game cities, bridges, troops are protected, but not airfields. Aircraft on take-off and especially on landing are the easiest target. But in a real war, airfields defended very well.
Here is an excerpt from the memoirs of military pilot Golodnikov ( http://www.airforce.ru/history/ww2/golodnikov/part4.htm ) : "The airfield was usually covered by 5-6 batteries of 20 mm and 37 mm guns. They were used to cover the landing and take-off of aircraft, as well as to repel a raid enemy aircraft. "
If, for technical reasons, it is difficult to defend the airfield with 5-6 anti-aircraft guns, then put at least 1-2, but with maximum firing accuracy, this will give realism to the game.

The airfields do have AA, but they don't appear until enemies are close.

1 hour ago, Murleen said:

The airfields do have AA, but they don't appear until enemies are close.

Than my own airfield AA is on vacation at the moment ;)

Just kidding, ground density on medium to answer your question from above.

Or are there other settings which influence this?

5 hours ago, Remontti said:

Two missions with Bristols in row that didn't get the loadout what was said in PWCG. First attack run without bombs and then airpatrol without extra Lewis machinegun.

I thought this got fixed. Did I update PWCG wrong? I just uzipped the files in 8.7.2 and overwrited the previous version files (8.7.0).

Did a fresh install of 8.7.2

Tried Bristol and the flight didn't equip bombs for the ground attack mission.

Tired Halberstadt also. No bombs equipped there either.

☹️

4 hours ago, Varibraun said:

Fast landings have me bouncing 50 feet into the air and then nosing back in - and I know my pursuers are simply laughing all the way back to base. 

No, not fast. You definitely have to bleed your speed before landing. But AI has issues with low and slow flying aircrafts, especially, when you use your rudder to turn to your final approach. AI can't counter your rudder input very good, they don't know how to handle this. They fly, notice they are not in the correct direction, so they turn to your direction, but as you are still turning, they are wrong again. So they are constantly trying to find the correct direction, usually without success. And if you fly really low, they don't have the balls to attack you, and if they try after some time, they often crash.

1./JG42Nephris

Hi,

I am sorry if this issue was mentioned already but maybe I can get an answer anyways

I was testing a coop mission today an noticed the briefing and the overview map, which unpolishes the immerssion of the upcoming mission a bit.

2020-04-29 21_10_50-Il-2 Sturmovik.png

Do you got any planes to revamp the briefing? Maybe by only giving the target marker and leaving the flight plan to the pilot.

Can we/I support with thexts or something esle for a mission briefing at that point?

I guess the problem is, the briefing itself has no tag for [red] and [blue], means you cant differ the text in coop for pilots to see red  blue targets only ?🤨

2006867547_2020-04-2921_35_29-.png.bbd46aa658340ace74186c6bd2c2d2b9.png

🙂

Edited by 1./JG42Nephris

2 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

And if you fly really low, they don't have the balls to attack you, and if they try after some time, they often crash.

Thanks Yogi - I will give this a try the next time I have 4 bandits following me home instead of my current drop gear, flaps, and open canopy into a hard left onto the field!

PatrickAWlson

@1./JG42Nephris No planes to change the briefing.  You can move the waypoints however you like (see video on editing waypoints) but I would not change them too much.

@216th_Cat Been that way for 10 years.  

2 hours ago, Remontti said:

Did a fresh install of 8.7.2

Tried Bristol and the flight didn't equip bombs for the ground attack mission.

Tired Halberstadt also. No bombs equipped there either.

☹️

I'll give it another look.  I only had time to do one test but my Bristol had bombs.  Can you post a mission?  I'm curious as to what the payload and weapons mask are in your missions.

20 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

@1./JG42Nephris No planes to change the briefing.  You can move the waypoints however you like (see video on editing waypoints) but I would not change them too much.

@216th_Cat Been that way for 10 years.  

I'll give it another look.  I only had time to do one test but my Bristol had bombs.  Can you post a mission?  I'm curious as to what the payload and weapons mask are in your missions.

Here are the missions for Bristol and Halberstadt. Not sure what you mean by payload and weapons mask? In both missions PWCG was showing "Bombs" for payload for all planes in my flight.

BristolsNoBombs.zip HalberstadtNoBombs.zip

On 4/29/2020 at 8:18 PM, 1./JG42Nephris said:

2020-04-29 21_10_50-Il-2 Sturmovik.png

Something is wrong there - the text labels for the flight path have been applied to the front lines. Do you see that every mission?

PatrickAWlson
5 minutes ago, Murleen said:

Something is wrong there - the text labels for the flight path have been applied to the front lines. Do you see that every mission?

That is weird.

216th_Nocke

What should we do in a campaign to keep the planes?

Land where we took off? Or is any friendly field o.k.?

17 minutes ago, 216th_Nocke said:

What should we do in a campaign to keep the planes?

Land where we took off? Or is any friendly field o.k.?

On your own side, as long as you don't destroy your aircraft, it should be kept as ready to fly. Of course the chance for that is best at an airfield, any airfield. AI constantly land on other airfields.

1./JG42Nephris
1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

That is weird.

1 hour ago, Murleen said:

Yes that is correct.

I fly Coop Competetive on a german install.

In attachment the complete mission files.mission.zip

PatrickAWlson
5 minutes ago, 1./JG42Nephris said:

Yes that is correct.

If this happens every mission it should be easy to recreate.  Please use "report error" to generate a zip file and post that.  Thanks

Hello Pat , i would like to ask a question sometimes when i finish my mission in PWCG and i do Combat Report afterwards i get credited 2 completed missions , is this a known problem ?

Yogiflight
1 hour ago, Juliu5 said:

Hello Pat , i would like to ask a question sometimes when i finish my mission in PWCG and i do Combat Report afterwards i get credited 2 completed missions , is this a known problem ?

Are you sure, it is only sometimes? I have it in every mission. Yes it is a known issue. You might want to take a look to the new thread 'New PWCG Issues Thread'

23 hours ago, 1./JG42Nephris said:

Yes that is correct.

I think I see the problem - this will happen when your game language is set to something other than English, and you scrub and then recreate a mission. I'll work up a fix.

• Upvote 1

Flying RAF on the Bodenplatte campaign. Mission was to escort bombers (A-20s). I find the bombers at the RV, but they just circle forever. After 8-10 laps, I proceeded out without them on a sweep. When returning home, they were still doing circles.

Anything in particular needs to be done to trigger these fellas to start the missions?

I was in (very!) close proximity to them.