Jason_Williams

This is where we will discuss PWCG for BOS

I've attached a mockup of what it would look like.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's not quite as simple as I said earlier. To make this mission file, I generated a mission in PWCG, then edited the mission file to move the planes to the parking area and set them to start parked. The first time I tried the AI refused to move after getting permission to taxi - this looks like some form of BoX oddity around relative placement of airfield objects and runway taxi points, so I then needed to move the airfield and tweak the taxi paths. Still, not much change required for this.

However, PWCG will place random objects around an airfield (e.g. parked planes), and currently nothing stops them being placed on the taxiway - on my first attempt with this mission I crashed into a crate which overlapped the taxiway. So, for a proper parked start update, it'd be necessary to update the object placer to know about the taxi paths.

taxi test.zip

• Thanks 2

Other than my piss poor attempt at taxiing the I16 (a plane I admittedly don't fly all that often), and a few minor scratches and dings that aren't worth mentioning, that worked perfectly!. 

Updating the object placer to know about every airfield's taxi ways sounds like an undertaking, or would it just be a matter of copying the existing information from the taxi paths you've already created?

Edited by Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

All this time people have been bitching at me to add stuff around the airfield for ambiance.   Now it's in the way.  Sheesh, can't win :)

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz said:

The other really cool effect has been being able to suppress enemy squadrons in your area. Over the cause of a few intercept missions I've almost been able to completely ground two bomber squadrons, after inflicting heavy losses on them (including all their ranking pilots). Thanks again Pat :salute:.

I noticed here a change in bomber behaviour. Currently they are only flying circles in a staggered upwards formation, without any try to evade. And my squadmates pretty much never hit anything.

10 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

All this time people have been bitching at me to add stuff around the airfield for ambiance.   Now it's in the way.  Sheesh, can't win :)

:)

I've found the code which avoids placing objects on the runway at the moment - I'll add extending it to know about multiple runways and taxi paths to my to-do list

7 minutes ago, Murleen said:

I've found the code which avoids placing objects on the runway at the moment - I'll add extending it to know about multiple runways and taxi paths to my to-do list

:good:

Awesomeness!

3 hours ago, Murleen said:

To put stuff around airfields I created "Hot Spot" locations where things can be placed.  it might be easiest to review the hot spots and remove those that are in the new taxi ways.

Also, I just checked in a major rework of ground units that will allow tighter specification and should eliminate unintended side effects.  Over 100 files impacted. There will probably be overlap at the airfield objects

About 20 missions or so into my ground pounding career and I can now say that I'm getting used to stuff and how it works... there is a prob with mission generation here and there, but selecting "scrub mission" resolves it, so I can continue with career :) .

My squadron currently have only 2 flyable planes, I'm to blame for much of this situation 🤪 :joy: . , this has been going on for several days now, so I'm enjoying those "lone Wolf" missions a lot regardless of them being mostly A2A oriented.

The prob I have with tightly packed friendly and foe units is that I sometimes hit my own units with 250kger... so I had to abandon such situation and only go for 100% clear "shot".

AA fire is wild and its absolutely deadly to hang around with several of those units firing all around you... so if I had to take a shot at something near them , I go down there at highest possible speed :fly:make a pass then I'm outta there.

There are a lot of those so called 'small things' that make all the difference when compared to stock, often dull and repetitive mission.

So far enjoying career, and ofc looking forward to discovering things 😎.

Thanks for beautiful piece of software Pat! :good:

• Like 1

I am thinking about trying PWCG but after watching Requiem’s video, saw that you have to claim victories manually. How are you supposed to know what you shot down or destroyed? I am learning to spot the enemy but cannot yet identify what type of plane or unit they are.

35 minutes ago, Skipper- said:

I am thinking about trying PWCG but after watching Requiem’s video, saw that you have to claim victories manually. How are you supposed to know what you shot down or destroyed? I am learning to spot the enemy but cannot yet identify what type of plane or unit they are.

It is only aircraft you claim, so not too bad.

Also in the claims screen PWCG will have a drop down box with the enemy aircraft you may have come up against in that mission, so you will only be limited to them to choose from.

It is not too difficult really. 

Give it a try, trust me it is awesome.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skipper- said:

TBH, it is pretty easy. You just have to take a look into the AAR map of the game after ending the mission. It shows you your airkills and which aircraft types they were.

For me it is much more immersive, than getting the kills automatically by the game, as I only claim those aircrafts, I clearly identified , while flying, as my kills. So I never claim an aircraft, that goes down minutes later on its RTB.

• Thanks 1

I try to play it close to real life where I don't claim kills that I don't see hit the deck and couldn't have been confirmed by an air friendly. In cases where I don't meet those standards the kill goes to someone in the squadron. I like it and it also helps the other pilots. 

PWCG is still my #1 way to play the game. And it just got a lot better! 

Thanks Pat! 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Yogiflight said:

TBH, it is pretty easy. You just have to take a look into the AAR map of the game after ending the mission. It shows you your airkills and which aircraft types they were.

For me it is much more immersive, than getting the kills automatically by the game, as I only claim those aircrafts, I clearly identified , while flying, as my kills. So I never claim an aircraft, that goes down minutes later on its RTB.

I have no shame, if I am credited with the kill I claim it! LOL.

😜

6 minutes ago, dburne said:

I have no shame, if I am credited with the kill I claim it! LOL.

😜

I understand this. It is simply too hard to get kills with the Spitfire, so you have to take, what you can get.:P

5 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

I understand this. It is simply too hard to get kills with the Spitfire, so you have to take, what you can get.:P

Rude!

LOL.

I'm just now finding out about this.  Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a move and I won't have access to my computer for at least a couple of months I think.  Pat and Jason, as has been said many times in this thread, this is an off-liner's dream.  I spent so many years trying to get better and better at IL2 1946's mission generator, only to have the massively more complex one in RoF and BoX completely baffle me.  I can't even figure out how to just set a take off!

Anyway, CHEERS to all involved with this project, and I'll be sending some moola via PayPal once I find a new job here in Albany, OR.

7 hours ago, Aardvark892 said:

I'm just now finding out about this.  Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a move and I won't have access to my computer for at least a couple of months I think.  Pat and Jason, as has been said many times in this thread, this is an off-liner's dream.  I spent so many years trying to get better and better at IL2 1946's mission generator, only to have the massively more complex one in RoF and BoX completely baffle me.  I can't even figure out how to just set a take off!

Anyway, CHEERS to all involved with this project, and I'll be sending some moola via PayPal once I find a new job here in Albany, OR.

Good luck with the job search and don't worry about PayPal.  

am a little iffy on a couple advance config settings.

Exclusion zone around player field:  If I set this to 2000, does that mean no enemy AI will come within 2000m of my home base?

Odds of overriding exclusion zone.  Is that value in %?

Max Fighter Flights per side Fighter/ground Campaigns.  Not sure if that is enemy side, friendly side or both, and not sure what the difference between this setting and max enemy flights/max enemy planes  and max friendly flights/max friendly planes.

as always, thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

am a little iffy on a couple advance config settings.

Exclusion zone around player field:  If I set this to 2000, does that mean no enemy AI will come within 2000m of my home base?

Yes

Odds of overriding exclusion zone.  Is that value in %?

Yes

Max Fighter Flights per side Fighter/ground Campaigns.  Not sure if that is enemy side, friendly side or both,

Enemy side

and not sure what the difference between this setting and max enemy flights/max enemy planes  and max friendly flights/max friendly planes.

Difference is in number of flights PWCG will place in the mission and the number of planes PWCG will allow to spawn during the mission before turning off further spawns.  So you can have 8 enemy flights with 4 planes each but if max planes is 10 then only the first three flights will spawn.  Since spawns are pretty much simultaneous my guess is that 12 would actually spawn as opposed to 10.

as always, thanks in advance.

Answers inline

On 7/15/2018 at 1:00 AM, Murleen said:

I've attached a mockup of what it would look like.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's not quite as simple as I said earlier. To make this mission file, I generated a mission in PWCG, then edited the mission file to move the planes to the parking area and set them to start parked. The first time I tried the AI refused to move after getting permission to taxi - this looks like some form of BoX oddity around relative placement of airfield objects and runway taxi points, so I then needed to move the airfield and tweak the taxi paths. Still, not much change required for this.

However, PWCG will place random objects around an airfield (e.g. parked planes), and currently nothing stops them being placed on the taxiway - on my first attempt with this mission I crashed into a crate which overlapped the taxiway. So, for a proper parked start update, it'd be necessary to update the object placer to know about the taxi paths.

taxi test.zip

Any news on this? I'd be glad to help if I can, if you're still developing this. I want to start up cold and taxi so bad! :blush:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Picchio said:

Any news on this? I'd be glad to help if I can, if you're still developing this. I want to start up cold and taxi so bad! :blush:

I have this working pretty well in my development world. I've submitted the changes to @PatrickAWlson for review, not sure if he's had time to look so far.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Murleen said:

I have this working pretty well in my development world. I've submitted the changes to @PatrickAWlson for review, not sure if he's had time to look so far.

:good:

3 hours ago, LeeHarvey said:

How can I incorporate the newer BoBp aircraft in PWCG?

You can't right now.  New planes have to be incorporated into PWCG. There is code involved (mostly around payloads) as well as data, so it's not a simple matter of editing some JSON. 

There is no 1944 map available, east or west.  There are no western maps at all.  There are no 1944 Russian planes that would allow meaningful extension in the east.

It will happen, but the underlying structure for a 1944/45 campaign is not there yet.

• Thanks 1

Hello I'm trying to fly a coop campaign with a friend of mine but we always get the same error "PWCG was unable to find a log set for your last mission". I run everything as an administrator and we create a server in coop mode in multiplayer. Single player campaign works great no problem at all so far but in coop mode we both get the same error, when we test either me being the host or him. If anyone can help us that would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Is PWCG installed in the right directory - if SP is working fine then probably yes.

Do you have logging enabled - if SP is fine then probably yes/

Here's how PWCG matches log sets to missions.  

Go to your PWCG campaign directory.

Look for a file called "<campaign name> <campaign date> Mission Data.json"

Open the latest one.

The second line should look like this"

"missionFileName": "Patrik Schorner 1941-10-01",

Go to your BoS Install directory (BOS, not PWCG install)

Go to the data directory

Look for files named missionReport ....txt

Example: missionReport(2018-10-28_16-30-30)[0].txt

You will notice that they are in sets, organized by mission start time.

Look for the most recent file with [0] as the sequence number.  This is the first log file for a mission.

On the third line you will se data that has the mission file name:

T:0 AType:0 GDate:1941.11.29 GTime:8:0:0 MFile:missions/patrik schorner 1941-11-29.mission MID: GType:0 CNTRS:0:0,101:1,201:2 SETTS:111111011110100100000001110 MODS:1 PRESET:1 AQMID:0 ROUNDS: 1 POINTS: 500

The mission file name in the mission log has to match the mission file name in the PWCG JSON file.

Let's start there.

Posted (edited)

First of all, thank you for this great Tool, I enjoy it a lot.

Now my Question. Is it possible to decrease (or increase if needed) the waypoints for a mission? Or can I define the max. waypoints which will be created for missions?

Sometimes/mostly there are so much waypoints in the missions that it is no fun to fly all this, cause the mission length is so big. Also on the inflight mission map I can only see black over black points and words.

Maybe I just oversee the option for this.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by King_Franky

3 hours ago, King_Franky said:

First of all, thank you for this great Tool, I enjoy it a lot.

Now my Question. Is it possible to decrease (or increase if needed) the waypoints for a mission? Or can I define the max. waypoints which will be created for missions?

Sometimes/mostly there are so much waypoints in the missions that it is no fun to fly all this, cause the mission length is so big. Also on the inflight mission map I can only see black over black points and words.

Maybe I just oversee the option for this.

Thanks in advance.

Right click on the WP in the briefing room map.  A pop up menu will allow you to add or remove waypoints.  If you remove then you will remove the WP that you right clicked on (obvious enough).  If you add then a new WP will be added half way between the WP that you clicked on and the next WP.

You can move a WP by left clicking on it and dragging it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

did you noticed that in german career when you click on a pilots name (dont matter which one of your squad), everybody has the same picture of a girl with the text "I LOVE YOU"

pretty slutty, seems like she serves the whole LUFTWAFFE as a landing field 🤣

slutty.jpg

On 3/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Right click on the WP in the briefing room map.  A pop up menu will allow you to add or remove waypoints.  If you remove then you will remove the WP that you right clicked on (obvious enough).  If you add then a new WP will be added half way between the WP that you clicked on and the next WP.

does this possibly break a mission? or is it randomized anyway where, and if you encounter aircrafts?

Edited by shredo

Is there any way to edit or is it planned to allow us say to fly Moscow 1943? Its cool I noticed I can fly in maps in dates career mode doesnt have.

Itd be really awesome I think if the Moscow map was open for 43 or late 42 - as long as the Germans were there. Stalingrad I know they were ejected.

Velikyi Luki like others said would be cool - what Im driving at is itd be a major strong suit of PWCG if you couls fly onn maps in dates not available in career mode and also if you could edit or select if planes are introduced by their firm date of introduction (example the G6 supposedly was introduced Feb 43.  Yes I know it probably wasnt in the Kuban till June.  The option would be nice. Or say LA5FNs.  They were introducted way before theyre around in game.  If you could habe them available as a choice from when they were introduced anywhere on ghe Eastern Front many would like this I think. Id sacrifice some realism to be able to fly some beloved planes more than 2 weeks in game or the only other option is MP..

On 3/1/2019 at 1:57 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

does this possibly break a mission? or is it randomized anyway where, and if you encounter aircrafts?

On 5/4/2019 at 2:15 AM, shredo said:

PWCG tries to force activity into the box formed by your waypoints.  PWCG does not push enemy flights directly into your path.  Making adjustments within the box or just outside it will neither help nor hurt your odds of an encounter.  Pushing a waypoint well beyond the original mission boundaries will probably result in no contact.

I downloaded the skin pack, installed it via my generic mod enabler, but in the PWCG I don't see anything listed under "squadron" (I.jg52) and only see a couple of the winter skins under "loose"

Posted (edited)

Just tried Italian Mc.202 career in Alpha 2 and love it. Cold starts are awesome and finally my fellow squad mates are Italians :) Manual claims system adds a lot of immersion.

Great work PatrickAWlson! If I can suggest something, please make AI leader speed little bit less so player can keep up better. I have hard time to keep with leader - some 90% of current cruise speed will be enough margin.

Edited by ataribaby

29 minutes ago, ataribaby said:

Just tried Italian Mc.202 career in Alpha 2 and love it. Cold starts are awesome and finally my fellow squad mates are Italians :) Manual claims system adds a lot of immersion.

Great work PatrickAWlson! If I can suggest something, please make AI leader speed little bit less so player can keep up better. I have hard time to keep with leader - some 90% of current cruise speed will be enough margin.

Long time complaint :) . I can reduce the cruise speed a bit in the config files but ... sometimes it works and sometimes the AI just does what it wants to do.

If you are not familiar with the claims system: you are only credited with victories that you claim.  So if you claim 2 and actually shoot down 4 you will get credit for 2.  The other 2 may go to squadron mates in your flight if they crashed in the area of combat or to none if they limped away and crashed much later.  Lots of people use this to not get credit for damaged planes that crashed much later, limiting their claims to the ones they know went down.

On the flip side, PWCG is very lenient with player claims, so if you choose to claim everything or even over claim there is a decent chance that you will be credited, provided PWCG has unresolved victories that it can credit.

I see about cruise speeds. 

Yep I am familiar with claims as I used similar system in Wings: Over Flander Fields. 

Amazing piece of software you did ;)