Sign in to follow this  
Bearcat

The Man In The High Castle

I stumbled across this.. Actually I saw a preview last night and it looked interesting so I looked it up. I watched the first episode. It has promise. The premise is great...

Based on a Phillip K. Dick (Blade Runner) novel...  

Episode One on Amazon Prime
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I was so pleased it got picked up for a season!

being from k dick i may check it thanks for the heads up

So under this alternate history the Italians got New Jersey I assume?  :biggrin:

Do they say how the Axis Powers win?

Edit: The Axis got the A-bomb before us.

Edit 2: The newsreel footage is a clue.

Anyone read the book it is based on?

Edit 3: I dug it. Twisty McTwisterson at the end.

Jason

Written in 1962

http://www.amazon.com/The-High-Castle-Philip-Dick/dp/0547572484

said to be partially inspired by an acclaimed Ward Moore book, set in an alternate world where the Confederates won the Civil War, Bring the Jubilee

not read either, but enjoyed Philip K Dicks'  "Do Androids dream of electric sheep" (made into legendary Bladerunner movie) many years ago

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

the truman show was also inspired by k dick time out of joint, its amazing how this guy did out of sheer paranoia a succesfull writting career

The book is okay but nothing amazing. I'd be keen to see any adaptation of a WW2 what-if though. "Fatherland" years ago was okay but pretty low budget.

Just managed to watch it.  Pretty good I thought.  I really liked that bleak atmosphere.  Probably not too far off what life would be like under the victorious Axis powers.

Jason

didnt read it but i bet one million internetz it involves time travel based on k dicks style

edit:

i tried to find a spoiler but wasnt able to but i figured it all out its in my thread:

people see movies about themsleves in paralel realities

no an spoiler for it comes from the POSIBLE truth from my mind guessing

anybody has  alink to a an spoiler with end included please? anhedonia limits my attentiion span to 5 minutes

Edited by raaaid

well i just watched the first two episodes, i had to quit at times

firsti thought oh god thank the allies won but then i thought wait the winners are doing that in some places, scarry stuff

The stock-standard plot line of the race to get the "thing" is something most people will be familiar with.  The really interesting thing for me so far is the shaky relations between the Nazis and the Imperial Japanese mystics.  That side of it seems really well done.

the film doesnt go as far as the book goes, its interesting the world where the nazis won, for what i read so far they killed everybody in afrika and get rid of the old people

my sister and i were having a discussion once she said to me the germans were to not really be that far to blame for they had lost to which i replied that there must be a parallel universe where they won and brougth havoc upon humanity, hell i hope not to exist where the nazis won even we the spanish did the same in america but that was just a few psychos but nazism was massive

they would start getting rid off people at 80 not improving the economy they would every bit forward it a bit till in the 21st century people would be terminated at 28, they would imbreed so much soon the gene pool would be totally ruined, they would also mess with genetics making it even worse

theres no way humanity could have survived much longer had the nazis won, and the last days would be absolutly orwellian

i think the way things went is a great way of peace every race gives their bit to the global gene pool with no farther breed selection that taste or love

edit:

well i put off the book when i got to the part where they tell they sterilize all russians, wow i have to keep my legs strongly closed now, i better do child books me thinks or ill have nightmares

i just recorded this, wow

Edited by raaaid

It's not a bad show, has a fair few twists in the plot but they're not really that hard to see coming if you know suspense in how TV shows works. I'm enjoying the show so far, it's an interesting premise and even though I can see where it is going it's still well made enough to be worth watching. Things should get interesting when Der Führer kicks the bucket (which I'm assuming will be soon), how the power vacuum plays out is bound to have a lot of exciting repercussions in terms of what happens between Germany and Japan as well as who ends up grasping the reins of the Nazi empire and by what means they do so. 

The only thing I don't understand is the films, they seem pretty worthless to me. My guess is that they come from someone high in the Nazi hierarchy who feels guilty about the past although I can't see how some newsreel footage is going to undermine a massively powerful global empire (Eric Snowden anyone?), the author must either have a naively optimistic view of human nature or some other ace up his sleeve. (Hopefully the latter)

The Italians don't get much of a mention so I guess they must have contented themselves with Ethopia and an embassy in New Jersey. It wouldn't surprise me if the Nazis just took over since that is how things panned out after their defection from the axis powers IRL.

I Haven't read the Phillip K. Dick book this is based on but I've come across his work elsewhere. He's a pretty decent Sci-fi author IMO.

tl;dr A decent show but I never find myself saying "I did Nazi that coming".

Edited by JimmyBlonde
  • Upvote 1

A decent show but I never find myself saying "I did Nazi that coming".

Oh Sir! We can shut the Internet and all go home now because you just won it. :D

• Upvote 2

To my eternal shame, It's not even my line but thanks Feathered  :biggrin:

i just experienced what the man in the high castle tells, yesterday i got pretty scared by this alternate reality docudrama

exactly the same situation as in the man in the high castle:

the great martian war, the best the mindblowing witness accounts who would cry rememebering the martians

edit:

back on topic check this out, the cgi on an old kennedy is great :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sLTbNcy0HA

edit:

appararently that footage is taken from this movie similar to the man in the high castle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatherland_(novel)

Edited by raaaid

So under this alternate history the Italians got New Jersey I assume?  :biggrin:

Do they say how the Axis Powers win?

Edit: The Axis got the A-bomb before us.

Edit 2: The newsreel footage is a clue.

Anyone read the book it is based on?

Jason

There was one episode where there was mention of a Heisenberg device... sounds like some kind of time travel... and apparemtly the Nazis have it and the Japanese are trying to get information on the device..

oh gosh that sounds so coll i think im retaking the book

btw as an engineer i have to say that the shauberger centrifugal antigravity that made the nazi time bell posible are pretty simple but i wont take this off topic

apparently in this time travel war in which at one moment we live in an ally world victory and next in a nazy world victory the allies used electrical antigravity while the nazis used mechanical one

id suggest for the game to model some foo fighters by which you can tamper with the game time and even fly to the game moon to find some alien ruins there

as a matter of fact just bringing back the 16x speed could be taken by some as me as a portable time bell installed in my 109 to warp time and fly faster :)

edit:

btw ill say that due to relativity is posible to time travel:

the true nature of time travel its been exposed in this episode though of course i figure it out before watching it independently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late_Philip_J._Fry

edit:

but theres something that episode veils concerning time travel:

what did eisntein say concerning relativity?

that if you acquire light speed your mass becomes infinite

so is there a moment before when the mass of your rocket is so big you can not keep on?

nope of course the gasses that the reactor sends the opposite sense go at light speed as well so their mass is infinite

and you know and infinite mass sent away at certain speed propels even a rocket of infinite mass

the part they dont want us to know about is that when you send a rocket beyond light speed to the future its mass is so big(infinite after reaching light speed) that the gravitational pull destroyes the whole universe in a crunch

so so far in this universe in the last 13kkk years nobody has timetravel though of course people from other eras keep coming here

edit:

the universe has just told me how einstein figure out relativity here it is:

a free electron has the same speed than light

an electron orbits an atom at light speed

if you reach half light speed with your ship hence the electron completes a revolution around the core in half the time and being the measure of overall time the movement of electrons times goes at 0.5x

when you reach light speed electrons are unable to complete revolutions so time freezes locally, if you go farther it would reverse but as said the universe doesnt let this happen for the crunch destroys the whole universe to start a new bang

inertia is related with time if time slow inertia increase and being gravity actually inertia which is due to mass inflating in presence of space(its easier to visulaize space shrinking in presence of mass to visulaize orbits)  again inertia we feel as the ground acelerates up and we have inertia to remain in  the same place

you may wonder what means E =mc2

mass is the amount of electrons, c its speed and e kinetic energy and you know kinetic energy=mass*0,5*v2 e=mc2

of course the 1/2 einstein said who care if 1kg of just one hundred years ago was much more weight than now, the unity standars are slowly modified for bigger profits and would expose how evident actually his theory is

Edited by raaaid

There was one episode where there was mention of a Heisenberg device... sounds like some kind of time travel... and apparemtly the Nazis have it and the Japanese are trying to get information on the device..

I assumed they were talking about an atomic bomb.

talking of heisemberg machine or time machine:

i have the beautifull theory that most movies are real and hollywoods is actually cgi

they are obtained via time machine, that episode you saw on the man in the high castle is real

i can proof it:

here the russian PM exposes something:

when he talks the entring prime minister is given the nuclear suitcase and a brief folder of alien among us

but the important thing is not that, the important thing is he says to know about aliens you can watch...

... THE DOCUMENTARY CHRONICLE men in black

edit:

i just thought:

if the allies win in one world and in another parallel reality the nazis win think how beautifull is the tradition to spare one turkey as obama does in +mas:

all the turkey survive and have a happy life in some world so we can feed on them with a clear conscience:)

im all in for always sparing one of the animals we feed on to make with it the most expensive delicate and charge with positive energy leather posible when he dies

Edited by raaaid

Just managed to watch it.  Pretty good I thought.  I really liked that bleak atmosphere.  Probably not too far off what life would be like under the victorious Axis powers.

It's exactly what I liked least. Everyone's running around like a zombie. Just because you're living in a totalitarian system, it doesn't mean you stop living - having a chat, having a laugh, having a party. All will still be happening, people are people.

i was wondering if the artist who render that world was a sadist who was creating havoc just because of the sick fun of it but not

with the exception of the marshal you get some sympathies for all the baddies, like things are not so black and white, even hitler has a human side, amazing show cant wait for the second season though i doubt there is, how could it continue nobody knows

edit:

i think dreams are mostly visions into another dimentions:

once i dreamt i was a nazi pilot taken captive by the nazis and they would give me some injectables i got hooked to to later inject them myself, i still clearly recall the dark and humid cell and the injectables to scape that wild nightmare

the own hitler would come and show me a movie telling me it was another reality

it was star wars and it blew my mind in the dream though i had watched it thousands times awake

Edited by raaaid

Yeh, Same, I thought they were referring to Werner Heisenberg who actually did work on the German Nuclear program.

I assumed he had the bomb named after him. They also tend to discuss uranium when Heisenberg is brought up.

However Heisenberg was also responsible for theorising the Uncertainty Principle so prehaps it has double meaning?

It was a good show, but it seems like they tried to sum it up a little to quickly for my liking. I might look for the book.

Edited by HippyDruid

a couple reflections concerning the movie:

the heiseemberg device as later seen is for tt to get the films but some dont need it might be angels, i think julianna is god

it has a strong budhist influence suggests that karma goes beyond other lifes from alternate realities

if time travel is posible and someone builds a heisemberg device in just one world even if in the year 1 million eventually at some point or other everyone will get hold of it

maybe hitler in one wolrd kept painting and just had mean and racist thoughts

maybe in one world youre similar to hitler or roosevelt, at least with their power

what would you do?

edit:

one of my most recurring dreams is im a retired wwii ace were we the nazis won the war, i like to buy 109 models and  war is forgotten then im a forgotten hero there and the worlds is not so different

serve as a paralelism than in this reality i mangaed to be number one of 52k pilots in a race sim hotlapping

i have to say that the germans carry their shape upon them but its worth taking into account that we the spanish and english genocide most native americans

gods too good in my opinion she even gives a chance to sick bastards as hitler or joe blake

this planet is a prison, hell, and there are inmates fights for the control of the courtyard

Edited by raaaid

WARNING TOTAL SPOILER:

why does the trade minister show such respect for a supposed sexual services secretary and hole in such steem her jewel to in the last chapter show superhuman abilities suggesting he might be an angel

how comes the sister juliana was shot down sees her later alive, is death posible?

what film did hitler watch that told him what was about to happen, well it couldnt be other than the film the man in the high castle the same you watched

and the last question who would you be in that film

i can see bearcat as the black guy from the resistance and i feel totally identified with frink

Edited by raaaid

However Heisenberg was also responsible for theorising the Uncertainty Principle so prehaps it has double meaning?

It's possible but the idea of implementing the Uncertainty Principle in anything more practical than an academic discussion on scientific theory (if by the reference you mean using a gravity device to distort time?) is pretty far fetched even today, let alone for the 1960s, even the Nazi super-science 1960s. The films might be a clue here, one of them clearly shows an alternate reality and there's no explanation as yet as to why or how that came to be,

here the hesiemberg measure problem:

perception its connected to time travel

EVERYTHING is bosible till the observer choses what reality to live what slit will the particle go through

if you apply this in a macrosense you chose what world you live in an ultimate responsible for whatever happens to it

is a matter of taste

manage to pass matter through the different wolrds(heisemberg device)  each chose to percieve and the film is pretty clear

edit:

apparently the universe reproduces like a cell at every quantum jump of a particle, at every posible option

the question is if the particle goes through the left slit and the sensor eye is in the right, how does it know as to go from wave to particle?

well the observer makes a choice and destroys the universe in which the particle goes through the right slit so then the sensor its been affected at distance by its destruction in a twin universe

its the same than quantum entanglement, a twin atom googles of lightyears away knows instantly of the destruction of a twin universe cause the destruction has to be instant

also the heisemberg device allows for faster than light transfer of info i guess another posibility to get the films allthough this this is improbable for we know some of the footage was recorded from soldiers of this reality

Edited by raaaid

my apologies i writte my ideas on the fly, some kind of automatic writting to clear up thoughts

most nonsense but maybe i get some things right

for example i was right on my spoiler of what was gonna happen in the last chapter just by seeing the trailer, they watch films about themselvs

WARNING SPOILER:

if im crazy saying that the hitler of the tv series watched the same series than you and hence knew it all

he knew the other guy was pointing a gun at him with his back turned

how else could have he know but becuase he watched it in a film, he admitted he didnt do other thing but watching films and learning

in the last chapter the japanese trade minister shows the superhuman hability to mind time travel

how does he do it unless he is an angel

tell me whats crazy about those two things, theyre evident

Edited by raaaid

They already had that .. that was how they won the war...  They got the bomb first...

One thing that strikes me with this show though; the plot seems to hinge on people dropping stuff. 

They already had that .. that was how they won the war...  They got the bomb first...

You could be onto something. If it doesn;t refer to an atomic bomb then I'm guessing it is a machine that can see into the future.

also its in the name its called device not bomb

edit:

ridley scott is involved so the only logical ending with a metaphysical meaning its the show series appear as a film within the series

but i dont think it will go on because hitler already exposed this fact and they cant expose farther hollywoods secret is to produce real films, thats how they look so real and people act so realistic

it wont go on the man in the castle is highly subversive soon the lonely first season will be cult

Edited by raaaid

Watched the first season, though i think it wasn't done particularly good.

Pretty ridiculous how those people broke their tongues to spell "Obergruppenführer". 

The world in this series doesn't immerse me. It's not plausible. Seems not thought through too well.

First thing is what JTD already mentioned:

It's exactly what I liked least. Everyone's running around like a zombie. Just because you're living in a totalitarian system, it doesn't mean you stop living - having a chat, having a laugh, having a party. All will still be happening, people are people.

In addition i am pretty sure, if Germany had invaded a part of the US, they would have forced German as official language. 

Let's assume they would not..they definitely wouldn't have single expressions like "Obergruppenführer" mixed into English, makes no sense. 

In the whole season you don't even once hear anybody speaking proper German. Not even the high ranks of the Nazi's. And the people who try to area failing pretty bad. 

Homeland shows how to produce high quality series. The last season was set in Germany, so they hired tons of (real) German artists, even a few pretty famous ones. I felt immersed from the very first episode. 

The Man in the High Castle is from Amazon, so budget can't really be the reason. Apart from that, there are loads of German theatre actors you can get pretty cheap.

But the way it is, i think the "Nazi side" is all but convincing. Had a good laugh at some scenes, that should not be triggered in a Drama i guess. 

I can't speak Japanese, in fact i was never in Japan, don't know how it feels to be there, so i have no idea how good or bad they are showing their life/language/culture etc..

The story itself would really have potential, but the way it is executed just doesn't make me care about it, because i can't take it serious. 

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*